PDA

View Full Version : The Secret to A Better Night’s Sleep? Your Foot

MikeWhalen
08-14-2014, 12:08 PM
Ha! I do this exact thing! anyone else?
I hate it when my bedroom is hot...well, you know what I mean...
I have the AC on all summer, even when not really needed and at least 1 fan to move the air

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/the-secret-to-a-better-night-s-sleep--your-foot-130803376.html

"I’ve always slept with one foot sticking out from underneath the covers. I have no idea why, or when it started, but unless it’s particularly cold in my room, one foot gets to breathe. I never thought much of it, but one New York Magazine writer was driven to find out why she did the same—and there is actually a reason!
Natalie Dautovitch, the spokesperson for the National Sleep Foundation and a psychology professor at the University of Alabama, says the habit probably stems from the human body’s need to cool down before sleep. Your temperature drops mid-slumber, and manipulating that drop before you hit the sheets can help ease you toward sleep—think of it as an even more natural melatonin. So you can take a hot shower or drink a cup of tea, as writer Melissa Dahl suggests, or you can open a window and stick out your foot.
Dautovitch says the skin on your hands and feet is different from the rest of your body, which is why they directly influence body temperature: “They’re hairless and…they contain specialized vascular structures that help with heat loss. Specifically, the hands and feet contain blood vessels called the arteriovenous anastomoses, which — coupled with the lack of hair on the bottoms of your feet — are perfectly designed to help dissipate body heat,” Dahl writes.
No there haven’t been any studies done on the topic, but Dautovitch’s theory is enough to turn my weird habit into a scientifically sound practice.

Mike

Miranda_Lawson
09-24-2014, 01:16 PM
That's actually pretty awesome! I also hate when it's too warm to sleep. I must have cool room and preferably fresh air source to sleep. That's why I keep my window opened even when it's winter.

rms2
09-24-2014, 06:49 PM
I've always stuck at least one foot out of the covers, as well, unless it is bitter cold. (I used to live in an old farmhouse where, if you stuck your foot out of the covers all night in the winter, you would wake up with a frostbitten foot - no lie.)

Mandoos
09-24-2014, 06:51 PM
Personally my foot is the last thing I'd want uncovered by my blanket...if you've ever thought about boogie-monster bait.

Gray Fox
09-24-2014, 06:53 PM
That's actually pretty awesome! I also hate when it's too warm to sleep. I must have cool room and preferably fresh air source to sleep. That's why I keep my window opened even when it's winter.

I read that before I read your location! I thought, She's crazy! :lol:

Táltos
09-24-2014, 07:23 PM
I read that before I read your location! I thought, She's crazy! :lol:
The sad part is I do know people who will open their window in the middle of winter-here in Pennsylvania. :snow::doh:

MikeWhalen
09-24-2014, 08:21 PM
lol-I always have my bedroom window open at least a crack during the winter, and I am alot farther north than Pennsylvania!

I do close it during winter storms though cause snowflakes blowing through the room is a bit too much even for me!
:)

Mike

Táltos
09-24-2014, 08:38 PM
lol-I always have my bedroom window open at least a crack during the winter, and I am alot farther north than Pennsylvania!

I do close it during winter storms though cause snowflakes blowing through the room is a bit too much even for me!

Mike
LOL, well thank goodness you close it from the snowflakes! All I can say is there is no reason to have that window cracked when your being invaded by the "Polar Vortex".
http://vortex.accuweather.com/adc2004/pub/includes/columns/newsstory/2014/650x366_01061838_screen-shot-2014-01-06-at-1.38.37-pm.png
I hope I don't have to endure too much of that (polar vortex) again this winter.

Erik
09-24-2014, 08:44 PM
Personally my foot is the last thing I'd want uncovered by my blanket...if you've ever thought about boogie-monster bait.
Very true!

Mike, I'm on to your boogie monster collaboration plot! :P

MikeWhalen
09-25-2014, 01:03 AM
No Sir, Erik, you got it all wrong
...the monster boogie critter that lived under my bed as a kid made the mistake of trying to git me when I was all growed up...heheheh
....I grabbed him, I smashed him, I whipped him from side to side, I thumped him on the head, I kneed him in the nards, I did the 3 stooges 2 finger and then one finger eye poke-hard, I sat on him, I squished him, I squashed him, I made him listen to rap, then opera with a fat lady singing
....then I put catnip on him and let my bad tempered Siamese cat chew him up for a few hours...what was left of him was then tied to the hitch of my big 4x4 pick-up truck and I dragged his sorry ass over hill and under dale and through every thorn bush and scottish thistle patch we have in the Soo

Haven't seen the little fucker since

Mike

Táltos
09-25-2014, 02:54 AM
No Sir, Erik, you got it all wrong
...the monster boogie critter that lived under my bed as a kid made the mistake of trying to git me when I was all growed up...heheheh
....I grabbed him, I smashed him, I whipped him from side to side, I thumped him on the head, I kneed him in the nards, I did the 3 stooges 2 finger and then one finger eye poke-hard, I sat on him, I squished him, I squashed him, I made him listen to rap, then opera with a fat lady singing
....then I put catnip on him and let my bad tempered Siamese cat chew him up for a few hours...what was left of him was then tied to the hitch of my big 4x4 pick-up truck and I dragged his sorry ass over hill and under dale and through every thorn bush and scottish thistle patch we have in the Soo

Haven't seen the little fucker since

Mike
I think the bit with catnip and the bad tempered Siamese might just be the worst part of this!

rms2
09-30-2014, 04:11 PM

Mike

I sometimes open the bedroom window a crack at night in the winter, but it drives my wife nuts, and she is a Russian! She grew up on the steppe in Volgograd (formerly Stalingrad), where it gets bitter bitter cold and the wind howls like mad throughout the winter. She hates the cold.

basque
09-30-2014, 08:50 PM
I also stick my foot out of bed then think something is under the bed and bring it in fast :fear: but i still repeat the whole process most nights.

basque :rolleyes:

Yggdrasil
10-08-2014, 10:01 AM
Nooo! No feet outside the duvet! I actually use a hot waterbottle :P But like any good Norwegian I sleep in a cold room with the window open, all year.

Zavod34
11-04-2014, 12:23 AM
I knew it.