PDA

View Full Version : Beta Release of FTDNA "Family Tree"

geebee
08-22-2014, 12:32 AM
Got an email from FTDNA:

"Congratulations! You're part of the lucky 5% of our customers that have been selected to participate in the beta release of the Family Tree! To get started, just login and click the "Family Tree" icon on the dashboard."

I've been trying it out. Below are the two views available.

If you click on an individual, you can either "Add Relationship" or "View Profile". When you add persons to the tree, it suggests possible links from among its customers. For example, when I typed in my father's name, it found him in the database (he's one of the 23andMe uploads to Family Finder). The same happened with the four of my six siblings who are also in their database for the same reason.

In addition, Family Tree was able to suggest linking to my daughter when I typed in her name. But for some odd reason, it can't seem to find my wife. She's in their Family Finder database too, and I can log in to her account, but the only "links" Family Tree suggests are to other folks.

This would be odd enough, but even when I try to link her to my daughter as "mother", rather than to me as "spouse", it still doesn't find her. For me, all it has to go on is the similarity of the name (which should be a perfect match). But for our daughter, my wife is at the top of her Family Finder list -- along with me, of course. So how can Family Tree not find her? (Especially when she's listed as "mother" in that list.)

Presumably, this is one reason why it's still beta.

geebee
08-22-2014, 12:51 AM
I can't count. I only have five siblings; the "six" is our total number, including me.

My mother did say the doctor thought she was expecting twins. I suppose that was because I ended up weighing in at over 9 pounds. This was in 1956, when that was downright huge. :)

EDIT: I still find it odd that "We found a possible match!" for my wife, or for my daughter's mother -- same person -- doesn't include my wife among the possibilities. I logged in to my daughter's account, and her mother is right there and confirmed as "mother". I also logged in to my wife's account, where our daughter is also at the top of the list of relatives, confirmed as "daughter".

I sent FTDNA an email using a feedback link at the bottom of my Family Tree page. We'll see what they have to say, if they decide to respond.

geebee
08-22-2014, 01:23 AM
Another thing I noticed, though it's a fairly minor point, is that they use the U.S. date format of month/day/year for reporting birth/death dates. FTDNA should realize that this is not only out of step with most (if not all) of the rest of the world, it's also at odds even with how much genealogical software expresses dates: day/month/year.

Unlike my British and Malaysian friends, I don't think the "U.S." way in actually inherently illogical. The order may not be least-to-greatest or greatest-to-least in terms of "unit", but I would argue that it "fits" the relative significance of a date in daily life.

Much of the time we use a date for planning purposes. The month tells you what time of year it is, which can tell you whether it's likely to be hot or cold, wet or dry. It also tells you roughly how soon an event is coming up -- say, someone's birthday, or some other special occasion. If it's something that happens every year, or simply that will happen this year, the year may be of least consequence, but the day is only significant when it's very soon.

But to return to the point of the thread, it seems it might make more sense to at least permit a different date format to be used. Either day-month-year like the rest of the planet, or even ISO 8601: year-month-day.

(And that brings me back to "the American way of writing a date". Arguably, it's actually closer to ISO 8601. The only difference is that we put the year last, because most of the time we don't use it.

If someone asks, "What's today?", we don't necessarily include the year. We might say either "August 22nd" or "the 22nd of August". We often think in terms of the month and the day, or the day and the month, because a year is a relatively long stretch of time and only matters when there's a new one. Admittedly, we do also sometimes answer the question with just "the 22nd".

In the end it's no big deal, but it can be a bit embarrassing when you go back and forth between formats. When on vacation (holiday) in the States, I have to remember to once again put "Month Day, Year". On return to Malaysia, it's Day Month Year. I always have to stop and think before I give my birth date at the doctor's office. Which country am I in, now?

That's why I habitually write at least three letters for the month, whenever I can. At least I was born after the 12th day of the month, so my birth date can't be ambiguous.

Táltos
08-22-2014, 02:12 AM
I guess this is why they have their GEDCOM uploads "temporarily" disabled. I found that out the hard way too. I deleted my old one the other day, and that was the message when I went to upload the new one.

Well this new feature sounds good, but probably only if you have several close family members tested there.

Gary Corbett
08-22-2014, 02:37 AM
My dad's was the only one of my accounts this was available for.
Just uploaded a bunch of his.
Rather enjoyed visiting with my Norman ancestors,they've been on the shelf for a while... :)

Baltimore1937
08-25-2014, 09:22 AM
I wonder if FTDNA will identify my grandfather (100 times removed or so) Charlemagne (742-814).
B)

Dr_McNinja
09-08-2014, 05:56 PM
I just got this on my FTDNA accounts. There's no way to add people by Kit #. It won't recognize by name anyone I enter who isn't in one of my existing test matches, so I can't add my maternal uncle or brother-in-law, etc.

It would've also been useful to link the trees of users who overlap into one collective project type of thing.

All in all quite pretty but utterly useless imho.

dp
09-08-2014, 07:00 PM
It is not brilliant on endogamous family trees. I tried inputting the links to my various kits, and ended up in the blue language section of my brain.

PS: If the spell checker is on the anthrogenica site, it needs to be beefed up on its genetic lingo, because endogamous is a word. Also, it doesn't recognize homozygous.
dp :-)

vettor
09-08-2014, 07:07 PM
I just got this on my FTDNA accounts. There's no way to add people by Kit #. It won't recognize by name anyone I enter who isn't in one of my existing test matches, so I can't add my maternal uncle or brother-in-law, etc.

It would've also been useful to link the trees of users who overlap into one collective project type of thing.

All in all quite pretty but utterly useless imho.

I continuously update my tree on another site, then delete old tree in ftdna and update new one..........is this this viable?

will it "disrupt" matches of this new ftdna system

Táltos
09-09-2014, 02:34 AM
I continuously update my tree on another site, then delete old tree in ftdna and update new one..........is this this viable?

will it "disrupt" matches of this new ftdna system
It might be a little easier. It appears that you can add, or delete people, no need to delete the whole tree now. So this is a plus. I had deleted mine a few weeks ago, to show my new found ancestors. By then they had disabled the uploads. I also noticed that they will give you a hint to choose from as your typing in a last name when your making an addition. Really though that is just giving a "hint" because of whatever letter of the alphabet the last name starts with.