PDA

View Full Version : YFull now "recommends" a Russian payment system, but still accepts PayPal

lgmayka
08-30-2014, 10:27 PM
YFull requires a $49 fee to unlock the customer's private results. Previously, this payment was made through PayPal. PayPal is still an option, but the payment page now "recommends" a Russian payment system called Assist (http://www.assist.ru/eng/index.html), which reportedly employs and perhaps requires the 3-D Secure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure) protocol. This protocol apparently requires some special setup with the bank that issued your credit card.

The most important point is that PayPal is still an option--you simply have to look for the PayPal button. And PayPal does not require creation of an account--you can use a credit card directly. (Look for the Visa/Mastercard icon.) In fact, donations to FTDNA projects go through PayPal's site the same way.

Mehrdad
08-30-2014, 10:34 PM
YFull requires a $49 fee to unlock the customer's private results. Previously, this payment was made through PayPal. PayPal is still an option, but the payment page now "recommends" a Russian payment system called Assist (http://www.assist.ru/eng/index.html), which reportedly employs and perhaps requires the 3-D Secure (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-D_Secure) protocol. This protocol apparently requires some special setup with the bank that issued your credit card.

The most important point is that PayPal is still an option--you simply have to look for the PayPal button.

Not sure if I can trust a Russian payment system, regardless of what type of security protocol they have. .

Just my 2 cents :)

rock hunter
03-05-2015, 04:29 AM
I don't even trust our banks

ArmandoR1b
04-21-2015, 06:23 PM
A person sent me an email asking if I knew of problems with paying for a YFull analysis with Paypal or Assist. Does anyone know of any problems with making a payment to YFull?

Petr
04-21-2015, 06:29 PM
I never had any problem with payments to YFull by PayPal, last payment 2 days ago.

ArmandoR1b
04-21-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks Petr.

lgmayka
04-21-2015, 07:10 PM
A person sent me an email asking if I knew of problems with paying for a YFull analysis with Paypal or Assist. Does anyone know of any problems with making a payment to YFull?
No. In fact, it's easier than ever before.
1) You can use PayPal.
2) There is no currency conversion. Apparently, YFull's own PayPal account is now denominated in US dollars.
3) The payment now shows up on your credit card bill as YFull.com rather than a person's name.

KouklaMix
04-20-2016, 12:10 AM
The most important point is that PayPal is still an option--you simply have to look for the PayPal button. And PayPal does not require creation of an account--you can use a credit card directly. (Look for the Visa/Mastercard icon.) In fact, donations to FTDNA projects go through PayPal's site the same way.

I was hoping to pay YFull with a VISA "Awards" card, which is a type of gift card earned through using a regular VISA charge account. These cannot be used overseas, however, only within the U.S. From what you said, it seems that they have PayPal set up to let you use it without a PayPal account (which I have done before), and therefore the payment would be through the PayPal company in the U.S. Is that a reasonable interpretation?

leonardo
04-20-2016, 12:16 AM
It is well worth the effort. The analysis by YFull is very helpful.

VinceT
04-20-2016, 12:45 AM
I was hoping to pay YFull with a VISA "Awards" card, which is a type of gift card earned through using a regular VISA charge account. These cannot be used overseas, however, only within the U.S. From what you said, it seems that they have PayPal set up to let you use it without a PayPal account (which I have done before), and therefore the payment would be through the PayPal company in the U.S. Is that a reasonable interpretation?

You can configure your PayPal account to charge to American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards, as well as direct transfers from your bank's savings or checking account. There is no need to keep a balance in the PayPal account itself.

The only disadvantage to using PayPal in my opinion is that they deduct a small percentage (2.5%?) from the vendor on every transaction.

As I am Canadian, I also get charged the CAD to USD exchange rate for vendors that use USD.

KouklaMix
04-20-2016, 12:52 AM
You can configure your PayPal account to charge to American Express, Visa, MasterCard, and Discover credit cards, as well as direct transfers from your bank's savings or checking account. There is no need to keep a balance in the PayPal account itself.

The only disadvantage to using PayPal in my opinion is that they deduct a small percentage (2.5%?) from the vendor on every transaction.

Thank you. I don't have a PayPal account, and currently don't plan on starting one. But I have used payment via PayPal, when the vendor allows people without PayPal accounts to pay that way. I'm just trying to see if anyone has used PayPal at YFull this way, and also if I'm correct in thinking that by doing so, I could use my "award" gift card (as I would paying PayPal, a U.S. vendor). It's a gift card that I'd like to use up and be done with it.

lgmayka
04-20-2016, 09:03 AM
Thank you. I don't have a PayPal account, and currently don't plan on starting one. But I have used payment via PayPal, when the vendor allows people without PayPal accounts to pay that way. I'm just trying to see if anyone has used PayPal at YFull this way, and also if I'm correct in thinking that by doing so, I could use my "award" gift card (as I would paying PayPal, a U.S. vendor). It's a gift card that I'd like to use up and be done with it.
According to PayPal's page on this (https://www.paypal.com/webapps/mpp/template-management/prepaid-gift-cards):
---
Use your prepaid gift cards wherever PayPal is accepted.
Simply pay with prepaid gift cards with a Visa, American Express, MasterCard, or Discover logo just like any other debit or credit card during checkout.
Don’t want to create a PayPal account just yet?
No problem! Just enter the card information as you normally do with a debit or credit card during checkout. For the billing address, you can enter your home or shipping address. As long as the prepaid gift card you selected has enough balance to cover the total amount, you are good to go! If you like this experience, you can sign up to become a PayPal member at any time.
---

But you might want to read the FAQs on that page.

KouklaMix
04-20-2016, 03:09 PM
Thank you, lgmayka. I checked the page & FAQs, and of course it is still in a gray zone to me. My card is not a pre-paid one, nor technically a gift card, but I suppose has the same limits as most of those. Setting all that aside for now, I guess the main issue is whether it could be used at all:

Can I use prepaid gift cards to make a purchase using PayPal?
Yes. Anywhere in the U.S. where PayPal is accepted you can use prepaid gift cards that have a Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, or Discover® logo on it. Please note that this doesn’t apply to merchant-specific gift cards, which do not have a Visa®, MasterCard®, American Express®, or Discover® logo on them.
"Anywhere in the U.S." is the phrase that I'm worried about. Since YFull is not in the U.S., I'll bet that it won't work for payment at YFull. The card specifically says "Valid only in United States," but I was hoping that if PayPal is a U.S. company, paying through PayPal would be a workaround. I'll read through all the legal stuff at PayPal to see if something covers my question.

I will let the issue rest here. If it doesn't work at YFull via PayPal, then I'll use an alternate form of payment. Thanks to all who replied.