PDA

View Full Version : Queer and homosexually affirming surviving and intact traditional indigenous cultures

Lumos_de_Fortuno
08-31-2014, 09:48 AM
So there are hundreds, if not possibly thousands of examples of traditional indigenous cultures which were always extremely positive and affirming of non-heterosexual non-heteronormative individuals and relationships, up until they encountered another culture who was not (usually forcing their beliefs on said culture) or until something bizarre and radical happened to change their views. I'm a photographer and writer, I've studied film but I'm only so-so at that, and I would like to compile a list of cultures who still fully maintain their positive relationship with their queer members. I'm interested in trying to do a documentary photo series and book about as many groups as I can find around the world, where homophobia and heterosexism simply do not exist, if any still or ever did truly exist. I'm especially interested in both groups who have managed to keep their culture isolated from outsiders wishing to change it, as well as groups who have managed to maintain their cultural identity while adopting more modern technology. I'm hoping that maybe aside from helping protect these cultures, we could learn something about building a healthier relationship between straight and LGBTQIA folks in our own culture, as well as connecting with our own roots and balancing that with the demands of the modern world.

:biggrin1: Ya know, nothin' big or anything!

MikeWhalen
08-31-2014, 02:58 PM
I have no clue how to help you, other than reading some of the native american tribes seemed to have a positive space for homo sexuality in their culture..remember the movie 'Little Big Man' with Dustin Hoffman? I think there was a gay Indian in that one

In any case, good luck with your search, it would be interesting to see what the pre or non judaic/christian religious cultures were like

Mike