PDA

View Full Version : Have You Ever Smoked?

Scarlet Ibis
09-12-2012, 03:57 AM
Just curious. Does anyone here currently smoke? If not, have you ever smoked regularly in the past? If so, how did you quit, and what was your motivation?

I used to smoke socially throughout college, or when I was stressed. I quit cold turkey one day, but I honestly can't say it was due to worries about my own health. It was mostly due to vanity. I didn't want yellowing teeth, wrinkles, and a smoker's voice in the future. These days (I'm 28 years old now), the heaps of health risks cigarettes pose are enough to convince me, but they weren't back then when I was more carefree about everything.

Recently, I've noticed some people who are having trouble quitting are turning to e-cigarettes. After watching people use them for a while now, I'm starting to wonder how they're helpful. One e-cigarette lasts for a long time, and they don't ash out like normal burning cigarettes do, of course, so I'd imagine it's difficult to know how many puffs are the equivalent of 1 cigarette. Perhaps they end up smoking less, because they only take 1 or 2 puffs when they crave nicotine. With a normal burning cigarette, they might feel the urge to finish up the entire cigarette after it's already been lit.

God Child
09-12-2012, 04:21 AM
Never smoked a cigarette before. Second-hand smoke irritates me enough (I go hoarse the next day + coughing + triggers asthma). But I do think e-cigs are a better alternative. Sorta reminds me of the use of a pacifier (babies having habit to suck).

Spark
09-12-2012, 07:04 AM
Never. Smoke-free. I grew up in a musical family and it was always evident to me that smoking was extremely bad for my health and my voice. Even secondhand smoke and pollutants can irritate me.

MikeWhalen
09-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I was a pack a day smoker for 20 yrs-I started to seriously think about quitting when I noticed some minor breathing problems that were clearly smoke related (smokers cough)

I worked in a building were smoking was allowed and constant so that made it harder
Right around the same time, the workplace went smoke free after some workers successfully grieved having to breath 2nd hand smoke, which was proven to be carcinogenic

I quite cold turkey the day the building went smoke free and it worked pretty well-very few of my family or friends smoke, I no longer do the bar scene so there was little temptation-I have never relapsed and have never been tempted

I did gain weight due to extra snacking-nicotine is only one issue, the worse issue was the nervous habit/boredom issue and many people struggle with that
...I suspect that is the purpose behind any of the e-smokes...its a way to deal with the nervous habit

despite the weight gain, which is an pain in the ass, I feel it still was a really good decision on my part and have gone 10+ yrs smoke free

Mike

GTC
09-12-2012, 01:46 PM
I smoked between the ages of 18 and 30, when I quit cold turkey. That was around the time when smoking was beginning to be seen as a nuisance to others in the workplace and I was tired of smoker's cough, etc.

Interestingly, I found periods of 6 being significant. The first 6 days were hell. I chewed gum so ferociously that I bit my tongue and cheeks. After 6 weeks I was happy that I had not touched a cigarette. After 6 months I was convinced that I would go the distance and was telling other smokers to stay well away from me. After 6 years I declared myself permanently cured. These days I can't stand the smell of the rotten things.

As above, it was hard to find a substitute for smoking. Like others I had formed the habit of lighting up whenever I needed a think-break at work, or to relieve stress. At the pub I found I had nothing to do with my left hand: the usual situation was beer in right hand cigarette in the other. After meals was also a hard time. Eventually I stopped going where smokers hung out.

I count quitting smoking as one of my proud achievements. It wasn't possible until I declared nicotine to be my enemy and really meant it. Without that determination to be rid of an enemy, giving up was not ever going to happen as nicotine is a ruthless bastard of a chemical and it plays with your brain for years afterwards.

I don't believe in patches, etc, as they still feed you nicotine, and the craving remains. IMO you must kill the craving by getting off the drug altogether.

scottraveler
09-12-2012, 02:03 PM
I was smoking the one and only time in high school when I broke the 5 minute mile.

MikeWhalen
09-12-2012, 03:14 PM
GTC's point below reminded of a small anecdote folks might be interested...when I was a teen, I smoked off and on, just a little bit...both my parents smoked so I might have gone the same way, on the other hand, I was a pretty good multi sport athlete, and was wary of smoking interfering with my determination to be excellent

What sealed the deal for me becoming a regular smoker for 20 years was when I got a summer job working at the Steel Plant after my 1rst year of university...back then, in the 70's, local Mill was very busy and had a 13,000+ workforce and they hired a couple of thousand summer students to do well paid grunt jobs

I worked on a labour track gang that spent all day clearing thousands of pounds of coke rocks ( fist sized pumice like rocks) off the tracks in the huge, dirty and dangerous Coke ovens....there were a dozen of us students and we had an old school foreman directing us-it was made very clear to us, we do anything he says or get fired, they would tolerate no nonsense from us students.

The first day of the track gang, we worked very hard for an hour, shovelling off his heavy awkward stuff and wheelbarrowing it away, and then the foreman called for a smoke break.
He and a few of the guys lit up their smoke and had a seat, puffing away.
The rest of us that didn't have smokes stopped working and leaned on our shovels or sat down
....The foreman snapped at all us non smokers and yelled at us 'what the fuck do you think your doing? this is a #@$%$ smoke break and if your not smoking, you $#@$ keep shovelling'

we looked at each other, sorta shocked, but it was clear he was not kidding...so we started to work again, while the 3-4 other students, embarrassed looking, kept smoking... that's the way the rest of the day went, every 45-60 minutes, smokers got a break, the rest of us didn't (except for lunch of course)

Well, we were not completely stupid...the next day, every singe one of us in the track gang brought a pack of smokes, when the foreman called for a smoke break, we all lit up, he said nothing, and that was the pattern the rest of the summer

And I became a pack a day smoker

true story

Mike

As above, it was hard to find a substitute for smoking. Like others I had formed the habit of lighting up whenever I needed a think-break at work, or to relieve stress

zaender
09-12-2012, 10:46 PM
sorry, but this is such american, who were the promoters of smoking.

I still like smoking . . . and I like Helmut Schmidt, the one and only to be allowed smoking in German TV.

MikeWhalen
09-13-2012, 03:31 AM
zaender, were you commenting on my story when you said 'such american...'?

If so, your dead wrong...this was in Canada, the forman was a proud Veteran of the Canadian 3rd Div. that landed on Juno beach on D day, and the yanks had bugger all to do with the story

M

sorry, but this is such american, who were the promoters of smoking.

I still like smoking . . . and I like Helmut Schmidt, the one and only to be allowed smoking in German TV.

Stephen1986
09-13-2012, 07:53 AM
I don't smoke and I never have. Smoking is very common on my mother's side of the family, and my paternal grandfather also smoked. At least two close relatives have died of smoking-related illnesses - my maternal uncle died of lung cancer in his fifties, and my paternal grandfather died of stomach cancer in his seventies (my mother's maternal grandmother also died of stomach cancer in the 1940s, but I don't believe that she was a smoker, and it may have been due to a high-sodium diet).

Clinton P
09-13-2012, 08:01 AM
I once bought a packet of cigarettes when I was about 18.
I smoked 3 or 4, found the effects of smoking so unpleasant, that I threw the rest away and have never smoked since.

Strangely, my 23andMe Health Traits state that "if a Smoker, Likely to Smoke More".

GTC
09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
I once bought a packet of cigarettes when I was about 18.
I smoked 3 or 4, found the effects of smoking so unpleasant, that I threw the rest away and have never smoked since.

Yep, the first few cigarettes are awful. I'll freely admit that perceived peer pressure made me persist. Everybody smoked, so did I.

Now about your avatar and smoking ... :-)

Verj-nu-armu
09-13-2012, 05:33 PM
Once in the all greens. We were goddam guerillaz scouting the deep forests against make believe bogey men. I stumbled upon it, so I just had to. I felt like Frodo. No Bilbo.

zaender
09-13-2012, 07:48 PM
zaender, were you commenting on my story when you said 'such american...'?

No, no! It's the question itself. I grew up with all those smokers in american films and commercials, got sticked to it, but now have to face ( with the usual delay ) overall smokers discrimination.

basque
09-13-2012, 09:18 PM
As a youngter I used to steal my mum & dads Park Drive untiped Cigs I would lean out of my bedroom window smoking I felt faint and sick:faint:

I have smoked as a grown up but was disgusted with my self for being so weak. Got up one morning and never smoked again.

basque:rolleyes:

MikeWhalen
09-14-2012, 12:39 AM
ahh, cool, that makes sense now

M

No, no! It's the question itself. I grew up with all those smokers in american films and commercials, got sticked to it, but now have to face ( with the usual delay ) overall smokers discrimination.

jowston
09-18-2012, 09:05 PM
Portions of three cigars - but never a cigarette.

Jim

DMXX
09-19-2012, 01:21 AM
I've made it a life mantra to sample the common vices, but the impetus to follow them through simply wasn't there. That includes smoking. I've probably smoked a couple of cigarettes in my entire lifetime (including shisha).

Treffie
09-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Smoking is more and more frowned upon here. That's why I have no intention of giving up. I only smoke about 5 cigarettes per day and I try to make sure that when I do smoke, that it's in external doorways and thoroughfares.

Spark
09-19-2012, 08:41 PM
Smoking is more and more frowned upon here. That's why I have no intention of giving up. I only smoke about 5 cigarettes per day and I try to make sure that when I do smoke, that it's in external doorways and thoroughfares.

Oh Tref! Ever the individualist. LOL.

Gil Vicente
09-20-2012, 10:00 PM
I do, 2 or 3 packs per week. Smoke breaks are a positive thing if you spend the whole day sitting down in an office doing stressful work.

Spark
09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
I do, 2 or 3 packs per week. Smoke breaks are a positive thing if you spend the whole day sitting down in an office doing stressful work.

Has the smoking affected your athletic performance when playing futbol? Do you notice any deterioration yet?

Gil Vicente
09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Has the smoking affected your athletic performance when playing futbol? Do you notice any deterioration yet?

Nope, when that happens i will quit.

GTC
09-21-2012, 06:42 AM

NOTHING about smoking is positive.

You want an exercise break? Take a brisk walk around the block.

Spark
09-21-2012, 07:22 AM
NOTHING about smoking is positive.

You want an exercise break? Take a brisk walk around the block.

I wholeheartedly agree, but we know it is an addiction. Getting off cigarettes once one is using regularly is a battle. Until he finally has the will to quit, then encouraging self-promises of cessation are the closest we'll get to convincing him.

apophis99942
10-08-2012, 01:17 AM
I don't smoke now, but I did briefly when I was in high school. It's an expensive habit.

Scarlet Ibis
10-08-2012, 01:20 AM
I don't smoke now, but I did briefly when I was in high school. It's an expensive habit.

Definitely, and it seems to only get more expensive every year. I wonder how much longer it will take before cigarettes are just made outright illegal in most developed countries, as it seems to be the ultimate goal in mind for them.

apophis99942
10-08-2012, 01:38 AM
When taxing them is no longer seen a source of revenue.

Clinton P
11-14-2012, 11:22 AM
A proposal by a public health expert in Australia, read about it here (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-20314849).

Michalis Moriopoulos
11-15-2012, 12:17 AM
I've smoked a few times out of curiosity, but I would never let it develop into a habit.

Azvarohi
02-07-2013, 06:37 AM
I smoke cigars at special occations, which might be twice/three times a year...compared to all the pollution I get from all the cars etc in the city it seems like nothing I would worry about. Something I've noticed is that people living on the country side who don't smoke seem to have extremely healthy lungs compared to non-smokers in big cities.

basque
02-07-2013, 09:53 PM
A friend of mine who smokes recently had a medical for his job one of the tests was lung function he had the lungs of a 68 year old, He is 37:eek:

basque :rolleyes:

thetick
02-09-2013, 03:09 PM
I only smoked a few cigarettes / cigars in college just to be social. I never enjoyed it and hated the dry horrible smokers breadth. That was enough to never make it a habit. Last time I smoked a few years ago it was one cigar at a friend's bachelor party.

utR!
02-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I haven't smoked ever,because i am quite health conscious person so i always try my best to stay healthy and fit.Smoking is bad like hell for our health and body,we should eliminate this habit from our life as soon as early we can do this.

My answer was in wrong topic I wonder why it went here? Never mind.

utR!

utR!
03-02-2013, 12:05 PM
My answer was in wrong topic I wonder why it went here? Never mind.

utR!

So I can answer in this topic to the question aswell.

Never smoked or not really wanted to smoke because you do get so easily addicted to it. I like the smell of the its smoke but not any more smell of the breath in clothes.

My father used to smoke tens of years and he got extra fluid in his lungs somewhere it was sucked with a syringe. He had to be weeks I can not remember maybe months in the hospital. So my mother and we had all the works in the farm. Luckily it was wintertime.

basque
03-02-2013, 07:58 PM
I often see couples in the street both smoking cigarettes with children in tow and wonder how they afford to smoke and feed the children :confused:

basque
03-12-2013, 08:47 PM
The government, In its subtle way, really does want you to smoke, there is the tax revenue, thank you very much, and conveniently smoking shortens lives so smokers are not a burden on the state in old age :smokin:

Dr Scurr Daily Mail.

Tolan
07-26-2013, 04:45 AM
I smoked for a long time.
I remember my first cigarette: I immediately loved it!
the only two uncles that I had, died because of smoking. My father smoked too, but he stopped.
I wonder if there is not a gene that predisposes to tobacco addiction.:\

Sometimes, i use the electronic cigarette, it allows me to reduce my consumption!

basque
07-26-2013, 06:41 PM
I smoked for a long time.
I remember my first cigarette: I immediately loved it!
the only two uncles that I had, died because of smoking. My father smoked too, but he stopped.
I wonder if there is not a gene that predisposes to tobacco addiction.:\

Sometimes, i use the electronic cigarette, it allows me to reduce my consumption!

Tolan :smokin:

There is a gene for smoking rs1051730 (23&me results) there are genetic and enviromentel factors. Once you start smoking research has shown that genetic factors play a large part in how dependent you become on nicotine.

I have AG at rs1051730 which means if I smoked I would smoke more. Enviroment plays the bigger part.

basque :rolleyes

Ian B
07-28-2013, 01:37 AM
I smoked for about 45 years, from the age of 15. I had a heart attack and then stopped smoking, but too late it seems. Last year I had quintuple Heart Bypass surgery. The comment about Government revenue is spot on, but smokers quite often require more health care in their latter years.

Baltimore1937
07-28-2013, 08:28 AM
I first sampled cigarettes in high school (e.g. band trips), mostly because it was forbidden. Then I went into the army at 18 years old, and it was the "in" thing to do. I also made black market money from selling cigarettes to foreigners overseas. I finally quit in a drawn out way. I never told myself to quit smoking. I just slowly backed off. Anyway, smoking gives me a headache.

rms2
07-28-2013, 01:13 PM
I tried smoking when I was 13 years old. I and a friend went fishing at a small lake in the mountains within walking distance of the town where we lived. There was a golf country club near the lake. We walked in (I don't remember why) and found there were no adults anywhere to be seen. There was a cigarette machine (remember those?) there, and I think at the time cigarettes were 25 cents a pack. My friend bought a pack, and I bought a pack. We must have gone into that country club lobby for that purpose, because apparently we had matches with us. Anyway, we went to the lake and started fishing and smoking cigarettes. They were the kind of cigarettes that were just paper and tobacco and no filters, what we used to call "prison cigarettes". In the space of a couple of hours, we both smoked a pack of cigarettes apiece! Needless to say, we also both became sick as dogs. I remember looking at my friend's face and noticing that it literally had a green tinge to it. I'm sure I looked the same. I felt like something the little bird left on the limb.

It took two or three days to finally get that nasty taste out of my mouth.

My adventure with cigarettes at age 13 - obviously overdoing it - cured me of all desire to smoke, and I never took up the practice. Thank God! :amen:

Rain
08-04-2013, 02:58 PM
I began smoking when I was 10. My mates big brother would buy them for us and we would sneak out at tea breaks for a smoke. Stealing my mum's cigarettes and saving lunch money funded the habit till I could pay for them myself.
The first time I stopped I was around 18, was really ill so bad I could hardly get up let alone have a smoke. After being bedridden for a few days I decided I would see how long I could go without one for when I got better and I went a couple of years without smoking.
During a drunken night out one night I got this urge for a smoke, worse than usual, and smoked one of mates cigarettes. Ended up with a 20-30 per day habit after that.
Eventually working out the cost of buying a pack every day made me want to stop again. Seriously not worth the expense at all. I tried cold turkey a few times and failed. Then I manned up and conceded I'm not strong enough to do it cold turkey and got myself some patches. For the first week I used a patch a day, smoked a few the first few days but after that the patches sufficed. I knew someone else who was using patches and she was on them for nearly 3 months and still occasionally smoking. This kind of put me off as the constant battling against the urge seemed too exhaustive so I decided I would make it as quick as i could. So on the second week I thought I would try half a patch a day, if it became to hard I could just stick on the other half but it wasn't too bad so on the third week I decided to not wear patches at all just use inhalator cartridges whenever I got the urge. After a few days gave up using them and have been nicotine free ever since. That was 10 months ago and the best decision I ever made was to stop. Hopefully there wont be a third time :)

MikeWhalen
08-04-2013, 05:37 PM
good luck rain, stats show most people do take several tries before they finally shake it so your doing well

M

surbakhunWeesste
12-16-2015, 12:06 AM
Yes, this 13ish year old me decided to act rebellious, subsequently, one fine evening I ‘borrowed’ my father’s cigarette and zippo, locked myself in the bathroom and ignited that ‘awesomeness’ only to get lurched by a sudden asthma attack… ended in the ER. As of now, I hate the smell of cigarettes and those ‘awesome’ medicinally legalized aroma in the air.

paulgill
12-16-2015, 12:16 AM
No, never.

bored
12-16-2015, 12:18 AM
I smoked recreationally. I never got addicted and could go months without smoking. I quit in the summer though and have no cravings at all. Some people just don't get addicted to it.

leonardo
12-16-2015, 12:34 AM
Never, although I inhaled plenty of second hand smoke from my parents, especially from my father who smoked 2 packs a day.

Varun R
12-16-2015, 01:23 AM
My dad's also a pack a day smokes kind of guy, so I've always been turned off by tobacco based products. (Like Leonardo, I imagine that I've been exposed to an above average amount of secondhand smoke. My dad had a tendency to smoke in the garage...)
I have smoked pot twice, but the reason I did so was more because of my previous unjustified fear of marijuana than anything else. One day, my parents sent me a picture of them holding up a can of a Swiss pot-laced energy drink. They did, in fact, confirm that they had consumed said product. It was at that point that I realized that my fears were unfounded :).
Having said that, I have no desire to ever smoke pot again. It kind of tastes like asparagus, which is mildly off-putting...

Torc Seanathair
12-16-2015, 02:44 AM
I've never smoked. There is a controversial story that Dad stuck a cigarette in my mouth when I was 7 years old.
Dad smoked from the age of 17 until the brutality of pancreatic cancer killed him at the age of 72. Very few of my closest friends in high school and college ever smoked. My wife says she tried smoking in high school when her crowd would have under-age beerfests on the Alabama beaches, but never since.

Agamemnon
12-16-2015, 03:29 AM
I smoke hookah/shisha, but I'm not in any way addicted (been over a month since I last smoked), I could easily give up if I wanted to. There was a time when I used to go in hookah bars/cafés and stay until 1 AM but I was going through a hard time back then (broke up with my ex-fiancée). I enjoy smoking hookah after diner, usually during the summer... And also in winter (I like smoking alone in the cold). My father smokes cigars, tried it a few times, but I really don't like the taste that much.
Never smoked pot (or cigarettes), most of my friends in high school used to but I found it totally gross and disgusting.

Afshar
12-16-2015, 11:06 AM
I used to smoke cigarettes when I was a bit younger, stopped a couple of years ago. Have been a recreational shisha smoker since. A couple of times a week its netflix and shisha on my balcony, but there are weeks I dont have time for it. Funny thing is I cant stand cigarette smoke, I get really astmatic.

pegasus
12-16-2015, 01:02 PM
I smoke hookah only now. I use to smoke recreationally years ago to look cool and sophisticated but I would get bad coughs. I don't have any issue with Hookah.

Kaido
12-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Tried cigs once, wasn't my thing. I used to smoke shisha years ago but pretty much quit once I stopped hanging out in hookah lounges, plus I could never do it right a home. I always managed to burn the flavour.

Awale
12-16-2015, 01:49 PM
Nope, almost never smoked anything. I tried a cigarette just once whilst hanging out with this girl at my uni; made me cough & I disliked it so I never tried another one again. Girl claimed they get better as you try more (Imagine they'd have to....) but also insisted I never try another as she was against me sampling the one that I did anyway.

star rider
12-16-2015, 07:43 PM
I do smoke occasional Cigars.. I use to smoke them a lot more often but never got addicted to them(meaning I never really crave them) . Never cigarettes ...

btw, you develop the ability to 'taste' the cigars and never really inhale smoke.

I use to make smoking pipes out of briar and actually had a small business making custom Briar pipes.. the fine dust making the pipes put an end to that as I developed a severe infection from the dust(even tho I used a mask and dust collector) I now rarely make a pipe except for the occasional private customer and only when the weather is nice enough to allow me to work outdoors.

I do still occasionally smoke a pipe but it is rare these days to smoke either cigar or pipe...

Viktor Reznov
12-16-2015, 09:32 PM
I smoked probably less than 5 cigarettes in my life. Usually when I feel shitty which is common, but it does'nt really do anything for me.

Odyss
12-17-2015, 02:24 PM
I do occasionally. I last smoked in latter November , before that in early August. I generaly smoke cigarettes to feel relaxed.

Longbowman
12-17-2015, 05:19 PM
Never smoked a single cigarette, tobacco or marijuana. Vice-free here.

J Man
12-17-2015, 05:52 PM
I tried smoking cigs back in high school but I never really liked them much so I luckily never got addicted to them. I have probably smoked around 10 cigs total in my life. I do like to puff on cigars occasionally though. I do not inhale them.

Arbogan
12-18-2015, 07:36 AM
I tried smoking cigs back in high school but I never really liked them much so I luckily never got addicted to them. I have probably smoked around 10 cigs total in my life. I do like to puff on cigars occasionally though. I do not inhale them.

Same. About 3 cigarettes. It was crap. It's like ingesting polluted air voluntarily. I immediately started coughing, afterwards, no thanks. I'd rather preserve lung function.

MonkeyDLuffy
12-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Never smoked, grew up hating it seeing grandfather smoking it, who later passed away from lung cancer. So kind of developed a hatred for smoking.

lesathomas
01-21-2016, 08:59 AM
Never.
I liked to suggest the people do not smoke. It is harmful to health and causes risk of heart attacks, strokes, lung cancer.
"Cigarette smoking (http://www.assertmeds.com/injurious-effects-of-extreme-smoking-and-alcohol.html) is Injurious to health" everyone aware of this. Smoking influences the soundness of individuals from numerous points of view like creating yellow teeth, wrinkles; lose of thickness in bones which prompts increment of osteoporosis in individuals. It is a condition which causes matured individuals to twist around and their boned break effortlessly because of nicotine. Indeed, even smokers are less dynamic when contrasted with non smokers as cigarette smoking impacts the force of lungs.

olive picker
01-21-2016, 12:56 PM
I've only tried it 2-3 times. I would never smoke.

Dimanto
01-21-2016, 02:53 PM
Sure, but I quit 8 years ago. Both cigarettes and Cannabis is what I smoked.

gruder
01-23-2016, 09:45 PM
I've puffed a cigarette one time but that's about it, I've smoked pot 3-4 times in my life, most of it during high school :P

Almagest
01-26-2016, 09:03 PM
I tried it once to act 'cool', but blew into it rather than inhale. I don't like the smell and personally feels like it hurts my lungs if I inhale it.

I think the people trying to light it were confused why it wouldn't light up the first few times they tried.

Robert1
10-24-2017, 12:14 PM
Though I made plenty of bad decisions as a teenager I made some excellent ones, especially deciding not to smoke. This was in the early 1960s so not an easy thing as smoking was pushed heavily in movies and TV plus peer pressure was incredible. Almost everyone smoked back then, it was expected especially since I grew up in North Carolina tobacco country. I did dabble and learned to inhale just to prove to friends I was "a man" which again became an issue in the Army, to prove I could smoke without choking. Sadly my two younger brothers smoked heavily and no longer are alive, dying at 61 and 62 of heart disease and lung cancer. My two younger sisters smoked for years but finally quit. My father was a heavy smoker and died at 54 of heart disease, my mother never smoked and is 94 and alive. Yep, an excellent decision to not smoke, though I was exposed for years to second hand smoke.

Celt_??
10-24-2017, 01:17 PM
Both pf my parents smoked pretty heavily in the 1940s and 1950s. We would drive in our car to visit my grandparents twice a week for 20 minutes each way and in the winter with the windows up, the second hand smoke was awful I thought. Also at home in the evenings. So I never was tempted to smoke anything. My brother began smoking at age 13 sneaking around with friends but not at home. He was a fairly heavy smoker and had a heart attack in his early 50s.

When younger he was a good baseball player and was very good at racing a Super V with Sports Car Club of America. In his latter 50s he began to become acutely short of breath during races and had to quit a few times. Being a physician, I had noticed that he had a barrel shaped chest and pursed his lips when he exhaled which are classic signs of emphysema. So I said to my brother that I thought his shortness of breath during races was due to emphysema. He said I know I have emphysema but I can't stop smoking. He said: "You don't understand. I'm just a nervous person and the cigarettes calm my nerves." I said it was possible that what he perceived as "nervousness" were actually the symptoms of nicotine withdrawal. He died of lung cancer at age 63.

JMcB
10-24-2017, 06:30 PM
I smoked a pack and a half a day for about ten years, between the ages of 14 and 24. Then I quit cold turkey by substituting chewing gum for cigarettes. It probably helped that I was working as a route man at the time and my boss kept smoking cigars while we were in the car together. Which made me hate smoking even more because I couldn’t stand the smell. Paradoxically, he was smoking cigars, to wean himself off of cigarettes.

Ironically, I took up cigar smoking ten years later but I gave it up after a few years.

Jenny
10-25-2017, 09:35 AM
I smoke cigars on the advice of my doc. They keep me from eviserating ppl on social media

kostoffj
10-25-2017, 01:16 PM
I smoke about one cigar a week. Never smoked cigarettes - I mean I tried them as a kid but never liked them - but what I did get into was dipping snuff when I was in the Army because that's what you did and eventually kicked the habit when I was in graduate school afterwards because it didn't go over so well with that crowd. It was very hard to kick though, I need the nicotine patches to do it after trying and failing a couple of times cold turkey.

surbakhunWeesste
10-25-2017, 06:52 PM
Tried a cigarette once and ended up at the ER.
Smoked doibies before transitioning to cbd oil, never ended up at the ER.
Such a shortand cute anecdote.

Searcher
10-25-2017, 09:05 PM
I used to smoke cigarettes and cigars socially very rarely but it never became a habit. Other things were a habit for a long time, but no longer.

leonardo
10-27-2017, 09:46 PM
Never tried. I was afraid to as a youth, and by the time I got older I was witnessing the devastating effects smoking was having on my father - a two pack a day smoker.

astondive
10-30-2017, 11:19 AM
I stopped smoking around November 1967, after smoking properly from the age of 14. The reason for packing it up was, saving for a mortgage, to buy our first house when we married in March 1968.
I stopped firstly by telling myself what a waste of money smoking is, I decided to see how long I could last without a cigarette, every time I had the craving I would say to myself I'll go a little longer.
Now comes the hard bit, I worked shifts in a nuclear power station at the time, (in the 60s the UK produced more power from nuclear than the rest of the world put together, how times change) anyway one of my mates kept offering me cigarettes on the night shift and I kept refusing, after a couple of nights he said what's the matter with you, have you packed up or something, I said I might have and he said I bet you five bob you'll be smoking within a fortnight. Well I collected the five bob from him two weeks later, it was then I decided I would never smoke again. I can tell you it was the best and hardest thing I have ever done.

rayvs
11-02-2017, 08:09 PM
Only when I go the bars when I turn 21.

MonkeyDLuffy
11-06-2017, 08:15 PM
I grew up seeing my grandfather smoking, so it's something which is very repulsive to me, and i can't see myself starting it ever.

Stranger
08-13-2018, 11:13 PM
Yes. Try vapor. It takes away the craving, bad smell, and yellow teeth.

shazou
04-27-2019, 06:35 AM
Nope, though I was peer-pressured into doing so as a teenager, but never fully succumbed to it in fact..thank God! I do not see any personal benefit to be gained from cigarettes/pot ttytt lol.

Judith
04-27-2019, 08:29 PM
I tried it age 15 (many moons ago) only when I was out with friends. But I could not afford to go out and smoke too, so obviously chose going out. I am very glad of that since I only ever had about 10 in total but friends persisted with it and then later wished they hadn’t.

JonikW
04-27-2019, 11:23 PM
I started when I was 11 and am still doing it decades later. I don't want to give up (although I've had a few Twain-like experiments over the years) because I find it so relaxing. I'm not proud of it; that's just how it is. I walk a lot and hope I'm relatively healthy for my age. It suppose it's just one of the simple pleasures of life for me. There's nothing like meditating over a good book with a cigarette, or just to punctuate the day: the precious lunch break, the otherwise monotonous walk from the train to the car, the welcome chat and companionship of a smoke with my wife when I finally get home. I'm glad my kids are not interested though... Funnily enough, I started late compared to some that I know. One of my wife's uncles started smoking on the way to Soviet kindergarten many decades ago. That was the only way they could persuade him to go, and he's still puffing away today.

jobodwannaa
06-14-2019, 11:17 AM
Yes, I have.

Deftextra
06-14-2019, 01:48 PM
I tried smoking last year, just gives me a headache and makes me feel very tired after the effects wear off. Tried it a couple of times after that as well with different types but all had the same effect on me so I just stopped trying.

leonardo
06-14-2019, 02:46 PM
Never. My father and mother did, especially my father. I witnessed him cough incessantly for the first 15 minutes of his morning and decided I wanted no part of that.

kakiasumi
06-14-2019, 03:12 PM
No, never. Though in my boyhood in my friends were prolific smokers and smoked cannabis too. I have also not drunk anything yet. The truth is I have yet to see a wine/bear etc from my naked eyes. Same is the case with my family. So altogether I am clean.

Webb
06-14-2019, 06:37 PM
I started when I was 11 and am still doing it decades later. I don't want to give up (although I've had a few Twain-like experiments over the years) because I find it so relaxing. I'm not proud of it; that's just how it is. I walk a lot and hope I'm relatively healthy for my age. It suppose it's just one of the simple pleasures of life for me. There's nothing like meditating over a good book with a cigarette, or just to punctuate the day: the precious lunch break, the otherwise monotonous walk from the train to the car, the welcome chat and companionship of a smoke with my wife when I finally get home. I'm glad my kids are not interested though... Funnily enough, I started late compared to some that I know. One of my wife's uncles started smoking on the way to Soviet kindergarten many decades ago. That was the only way they could persuade him to go, and he's still puffing away today.

As if you were reading my mind. I am 45 and I have smoked since I was 15. I smoke around a half a pack a day. Nothing over the top. Many years ago I was up to just over a pack daily, and have reduced. But I really enjoy having one periodically through the day. I just had a physical and my lung capacity is great, my Glucose was 86. My cholesterol was 104. I just try to stay within the 10 a day range.

jdean
06-14-2019, 07:01 PM
Get through about 1/3 an oz a day, no idea how that equates to fags.

Jokli
09-06-2019, 10:11 PM
I have never smoked a single cigarette and I've never feel temptation to do so.

Piquerobi
09-07-2019, 11:17 AM
No. Never.

Ayetooey
09-07-2019, 11:06 PM
Used to smoke 15-20 a day. Menthols.

Principe
09-09-2019, 07:33 PM
Sadly I am a current smoker and smoke roughly 15 cigarettes a day.

jetshop
09-11-2019, 05:40 AM
Nope. My father does some medical research on the respiratory system so I've never even considered smoking.

Tolan
09-11-2019, 08:00 AM
I smoked about 15 cigarettes a day.
I had tried several times to stop smoking, without success.
I thought that I would never manage to stop because it was impossible.
But "impossible" without help!
So, I went to the pharmacy and bought some nicotine lozenges.
I think nicotine lozenges are better than patches.
Because it give you a nicotine flash like a cigarette, while the patch gives nicotine continuously in small doses.
I did not believe that I could stop, but I thought that it would allow me to reduce my consumption.

For 2 months, I continued to smoke a little and I compensated with the lozenges, but it began to get hard.
So I stopped smoking, and I do not hesitate to take a lot of lozenges to not want to smoke too much.
To my astonishment, it was very easy!
I continued to take pellets for 1 year, decreasing the doses until I stopped.
A few days later, I had two Reflex syncope (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reflex_syncope)! It may be related to my stopping nicotine ...

In fact, I was addicted to nicotine in a way I did not think!
Now it's been two-and-a-half years since I stopped everything, and I'm sure I'll never touch that crap again!

Umiole
09-12-2019, 04:32 PM
I was smoking since I was 16, at the age of 25 stopped it for good. But a year ago moved to my new property in lake Garda (https://tranio.com/italy/lake_garda/) and started again. But this time it's cigars... have no idea why I started it but now it is really hard to drop this habit.

Dimanto
09-12-2019, 04:34 PM
From 16-20 and after 20 only some Marijuana on and off until 4 years ago.

fitbird38
10-16-2019, 07:20 AM
Never ever smoked a cigarette.

Sukh Bataar
10-16-2019, 08:13 AM
I smoke a lot

Ruderico
10-16-2019, 08:40 AM
I smoked only a little in my teens, but I eventually came to my senses and stopped. Haven't touched a cigarette in over 10 years.

anthroin
10-16-2019, 03:27 PM
Nope.

Milkyway
10-17-2019, 11:00 PM
Never. Mother would have evicted me.

nithya
12-17-2019, 10:46 AM
Smoking is highly injurious to health as it contains carcinogen in it. This carcinogen when taken in by humans, can alter the gene, responsible for cell growth. These altered genes will result in drastic multiplication of cells that result in cancer. The most common type of cancer caused by smoking is lung cancer (https://onco.com/about-cancer/cancer-types/lung-cancer/). so smoking habits should be discouraged.

icebreaker
12-17-2019, 06:14 PM
I'm 32 and I smoke 5-6 cigars a day.

I run 10 km three times a week in less than an hour. Smoking apparently has no effect on my health/breathing. I'm aware of long-term effect though. I will quit smoking before it's too late.

Souriquois
12-17-2019, 06:25 PM
I quit smoking 7 years ago

oz
12-18-2019, 08:53 AM
Been smoking since 15. Wish I never started because I can't quit. I mean I could probably quit if I really wanted to but I never really wanted to bad enough.

Mike86PhD
12-30-2019, 08:43 AM
Just curious. Does anyone here currently smoke? If not, have you ever smoked regularly in the past? If so, how did you quit, and what was your motivation?

I used to smoke socially throughout college, or when I was stressed. I quit cold turkey one day, but I honestly can't say it was due to worries about my own health. It was mostly due to vanity. I didn't want yellowing teeth, wrinkles, and a smoker's voice in the future. These days (I'm 28 years old now), the heaps of health risks cigarettes pose are enough to convince me, but they weren't back then when I was more carefree about everything.

Recently, I've noticed some people who are having trouble quitting are turning to e-cigarettes. After watching people use them for a while now, I'm starting to wonder how they're helpful. One e-cigarette lasts for a long time, and they don't ash out like normal burning cigarettes do, of course, so I'd imagine it's difficult to know how many puffs are the equivalent of 1 cigarette. Perhaps they end up smoking less, because they only take 1 or 2 puffs when they crave nicotine. With a normal burning cigarette, they might feel the urge to finish up the entire cigarette after it's already been lit.

Never smoked. But If you want to quit, the best method I've found out to work with my clients is cold turkey with some sports and eating goals in mind.

Ramiro
02-11-2020, 12:47 PM
I smoked for several years in college. It seemed to me that this didn't affect my health too much. I also thought that I could easily quit smoking at any moment. I quit smoking when I met my future wife. She helped me distract from cigarettes and offered an alternative - vape. I know that vaping isn't completely safe for health, but it harms my lungs less, and if you use legal e-liquids and vape juices, then it's safe for your health. For example, on this portal vapingdaily.com (https://vapingdaily.com/) is a description of legal vape juices. I think that smoking cigarettes is bad and vape is a good alternative in this case.

leonardo
02-11-2020, 02:45 PM
Never, but may well have enough second hand smoke to kill, as my father - God rest his soul - smoked over two packs a day, unfiltered cigarettes. He died at 64. I bought several stop smoking kits for him, but he was never able to kick the habit until he was unconscious, on his death bed. A very bad habit indeed.

Bingo
02-11-2020, 03:27 PM
I smoked all kinds of different substances for over 20 years.
Now I have interstitial lung disease.
Not worth it at all.
Better off not smoking or vaping anything at all.

michal3141
02-12-2020, 12:05 PM
I smoked all kinds of different substances for over 20 years.
Now I have interstitial lung disease.
Not worth it at all.
Better off not smoking or vaping anything at all.

vaping marry jane was supposed to be safe though.... wasn't it?

JonikW
02-12-2020, 11:25 PM
I'm 32 and I smoke 5-6 cigars a day.

I run 10 km three times a week in less than an hour. Smoking apparently has no effect on my health/breathing. I'm aware of long-term effect though. I will quit smoking before it's too late.

That's what I used to say.;) Still, I know all too well that life is full of perils, so this is one risk I'm happy to take given the benefits on my stress levels (my job is in a notoriously intense profession that has more than its fair share of drinkers and smokers). My mother died of dementia after not knowing anyone around her for many years, and that's a fate I want to avoid at any cost. * I also find fellow smokers are in general exceptionally likeable people. I'm always intrigued too on my travels to see cultures where the habit is widely frowned on and others where it's pretty much the norm.

* I don't mean I want to go out with a smoking related disease, just that I don't worry about the possibilities, foolish though I know that is.

LePrieur
02-15-2020, 07:24 PM
For about eight years.

mainer
02-17-2020, 09:27 AM
I smoke five cigarettes a week. I didn't smoke as many until recently. I'm hoping to bring the count down to 10 a month soon enough.

ThaYamamoto
07-18-2020, 08:26 PM
Trynna quit for the past couple years, really sick of it but I can't go without lol..feel like a real fiend smh. I'm smoking natural's/non additive stuff too, they said its easier to quit but I find myself smoking even more.

Revmac
07-18-2020, 09:03 PM
Unfortunately I haven’t been able to break the family chain yet. I have family that have been growing tobacco since at least the 1840’s.

I wanted to quit this year but by the end of it I’ll probably still be on lockdown. So smoking and drinking have both increased.:smokin:

Kellebel
07-19-2020, 06:45 PM
I'm not sure why, but my sisters always thought I'd turn out to be the wild one and do all sorts of stuff amongst which smoking. I never even dared to try it - I'm a huge control freak and the thought of being addicted to something and therefore dependent on it scares the hell out of me.

My parents were huge smokers, my dad was 6 when he started(!), but they both stopped since my mother got ill last year (and can I just say how proud I am?! :cheer2:).
My 87yo grandmother on the other hand, she has trouble breathing, but she won't quit whatsoever. She'd rather die than live her last years without smoking.

evon
07-19-2020, 07:07 PM
I grew up in a poor family with very bad habits, so I naturally started smoking at the age of 11-12 and only quit around 26, at one point I was smoking around 20 cigarettes in a day..

FionnSneachta
07-22-2020, 09:51 PM
I have never smoked. My mum and dad don't smoke. My mum's father did smoke but gave it up when it started affecting his health. My paternal grandfather never smoked home but would do social smoking when drinking in the pub. It was never really something that I saw in my family so that's probably part of the reason. It's the same with alcohol. My parents never drank much and it would be usually just on special occasions when out but never to excess. Another factor that probably put me off smoking is that an elderly neighbour used to visit when I was a child and he would always be smoking. I had to leave the room because I'd get into a fit of coughing. When doing genealogy research, I found out that he was a 3rd cousin of my mum.

Buxoro
10-17-2020, 09:30 PM
I once tried a cigarette in a childhood. Bad experience, haven’t smoked any since then literally.

pmokeefe
10-17-2020, 10:32 PM
Multivariate genomic analysis of 1.5 million people identifies genes related to addiction, antisocial behavior, and health (https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.10.16.342501v1)
is a massive new study just out, smoking is one of the behaviours.

Here are the top ten variants for smoking along with my own results (from WGS tests)
rsid,ea,oa,eaf,p,mine
rs9919558 T A 0.613 1.90E-78 TA
rs59724122 C T 0.831 2.26E-61 CC
rs10427255 C T 0.473 8.32E-57 CC
rs266058 C T 0.528 1.14E-42 CT
rs458806 C T 0.178 6.36E-42 CT
rs1004787 G A 0.467 1.78E-41 AA
rs174393 G A 0.253 7.83E-41 GA
rs951740 G A 0.383 7.77E-36 GG
rs571862 C T 0.239 7.77E-36 CC
rs4349886 C T 0.462 1.27E-31 CT

I seem to have more than my fair share of effect alleles, at least one copy 9/10 times, two copies 4/10.

But I have never smoked.

chinachin
12-30-2020, 01:28 AM
ohh, i am in need of it word counter (https://wordcounter.tools)

Jatt1
12-30-2020, 05:32 AM
No never

Mr.G
12-30-2020, 07:10 PM
No I never did.

Probably a major reason for that is that my mother smoked for most of her life, she only quit about 2 years ago. I did not like smelling like cigarettes as a kid, I think the second hand smoke impacted my performance in track in high school. Also, seeing my mother's heavy addiction to it, how it contributed to her being less active and healthy, I was just never tempted to smoke myself.

cvolt
12-30-2020, 07:31 PM
no way jose

doanhmarket
01-04-2021, 08:57 AM
I cannot understand why humans can be addicted to something called tobacco.

omgpeeps
01-05-2021, 02:59 AM
Nope, and I currently don't have plans to... :music:

Tsakhur
01-05-2021, 12:43 PM
Yes but only a few times just for fun. I'm not addicted to it. However I have done hookah so many times and I think Im getting addicted to them.

Aiden
01-10-2021, 12:20 PM
No, and I never will! I watched my mother smoke her whole life and now at just 62, she is in bad health, lung problems, high blood pressure, etc.

Aiden
01-10-2021, 12:20 PM
No I never did.

Probably a major reason for that is that my mother smoked for most of her life, she only quit about 2 years ago. I did not like smelling like cigarettes as a kid, I think the second hand smoke impacted my performance in track in high school. Also, seeing my mother's heavy addiction to it, how it contributed to her being less active and healthy, I was just never tempted to smoke myself.

Dude same here, I know exactly what this is like

subzero85
01-14-2021, 03:39 PM
Tried hookah a few times in college.