PDA

View Full Version : AncestryDNA finding relatives

Erik
09-04-2014, 12:11 AM
Has anyone found any confirmed relatives successfully with AncestryDNA?

I have and also with FTDNA. In fact one of them already knew my family but lost touch over the years and the other one had a common ancestor with me and she traced us back to the early 1700s!

bolverka
09-14-2014, 05:09 AM
I actually found my mother's family through my DNA. She was adopted :)

Little bit
09-14-2014, 11:35 AM
I had a predicted 1st-2nd cousin match show up and she turned out to be my father's first cousin. I grew up not knowing my father and it's been fun hearing about my grandparents, aunt, and uncle, who I never knew.

My mo†her-in-law/husband go† a predicted 3rd cousin match and it turns out that my mother-in-law's father was the first cousin of the other guy's grandfather. Interestingly, there are 2 closer matches for my mother-in-law that are still as of yet, unknown for common ancestors. Ancestry has the same problem as FTDNA and 23andme: people with no trees or trees that don't go far enough, and they have an added issue of private trees. Some with private trees will respond to messages, many don't. The response rate at Ancestry can be pretty low.

But the best thing about Ancestry is they match trees, but beware: in endogamous groups, a tree match + DNA match doesn't mean that's the common ancestor. Also, Ancestry can seriously miscalculate relationships which may be due to the fact that new tests are done in cM and older tests in Mb. I like 23andme's and FTDNA's ability to compare DNA matches, which Ancestry does not have, which seriously hinders genetic genealogists. Most of us try to get our big matches to upload to Gedmatch, but I'd say that I'm only successful about 30-40% of the time. Overall, I like AncestryDNA, and if they can add some tools for comparing matches and quantifying DNA shared, they'd probably be my favorite.