PDA

View Full Version : Are Vindelici R1b-L23* ?

Diesadquem
09-15-2014, 10:49 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to share a little theory with you about the Vindelici who once lived in Raetia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindelici

According to Horace, they were carrying "Scythian axes". According to Servius, they are originally Liburians (balkanic ; high number of R1b-L23*). They wore two horned helmets like IE asian tribes. Maybe they spoke a nearby raetic language close to etruscan.

The oriental Alps where they lived seem to have today a relatively high number of R1b-L23* (L277 perhaps) in comparison of the rest of western Europe. So I thought that, maybe, they could be some Vindelici descendents who brought "Scythian axes" a long time ago from the middle-east step.

What do you think ?

vettor
09-16-2014, 07:10 PM
Hello everyone,

I want to share a little theory with you about the Vindelici who once lived in Raetia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vindelici

According to Horace, they were carrying "Scythian axes". According to Servius, they are originally Liburians (balkanic ; high number of R1b-L23*). They wore two horned helmets like IE asian tribes. Maybe they spoke a nearby raetic language close to etruscan.

The oriental Alps where they lived seem to have today a relatively high number of R1b-L23* (L277 perhaps) in comparison of the rest of western Europe. So I thought that, maybe, they could be some Vindelici descendents who brought "Scythian axes" a long time ago from the middle-east step.

What do you think ?

vindelici are a raetic sub-tribe which is why the Romans named the area Raetica Secunda. They where the first to be celtinized by celts moving south from central germany. If Mr. hammer is correct and R-U152 is western-central german/celt , then you could have something, but raetic people as far as i know have R-L51 ( i need to recheck this ) and G-L497 as "confirmed" markers.

Some do say that liburnians on the northern adriatic coast are vindelici............i see no proof, but there has been venetic findings in innsbruck and venetic have an association with liburnians.

what is a scythian axe?...........a double headed axe?, if so, this type was a northern causcasus design centuries before the scythians arrived.

Diesadquem
09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
If Mr. hammer is correct and R-U152 is western-central german/celt , then you could have something, but raetic people as far as i know have R-L51 ( i need to recheck this ) and G-L497 as "confirmed" markers.

Ok, I did not know this study. But then where did the L23+/L51- population of the Alps came from ?