PDA

View Full Version : Lavrentiy Beria

Salkin
09-17-2014, 05:15 PM
I've been trying to figure out whether Stalin's most successful and longest-lasting secret police chief, Lavrentiy Beria's haplogroups are known, but it doesn't seem like it. It'd be most interesting if it turned up somewhere...

He was Georgian, so Y-DNA G2a is not such an unlikely bet. As if Al Capone and Joseph Stalin weren't enough in the sinister connection department!

Kopfjäger
10-08-2014, 02:20 AM
Is Al Capone G2a as well?

Salkin
10-08-2014, 04:07 PM
Is Al Capone G2a as well?

Yes, it would appear he is. I've got an excellent evil overlord pedigree.

http://www.geni.com/projects/G-P303-Y-DNA/9839

seferhabahir
10-08-2014, 09:01 PM
See the Life Magazine issue from July 20, 1953 (the one with Jack Kennedy sailing with his girlfriend Jackie Bouvier) for a story called "The Beria I Knew" by Alexander Orlov. It is accessible online.

Orlov is probably as interesting as Beria (depending on which of Orlov's several biographers you wish to read and/or believe). There are at least three detailed books that have been written about him. Orlov was a Stalin era intelligence agent, with key roles during the Spanish Civil War, and possibly the Soviet handler controlling Kim Philby, the British spy, and defector. He fled to America in the late 1930s, purportedly to avoid being murdered in Stalin's purges and then lived underground for 15 years. He revealed his identity only after Stalin's death, in his 1953 best-seller The Secret History of Stalin's Crimes, after which he became one of the best known of all Soviet defectors, commemorated by the US Congress upon his death in 1973. He wrote another book called the "Handbook of Intelligence and Guerilla Warfare" (1972, University of Michigan Press) before he died.

For what it's worth, Orlov is in haplogroup R2. How do I know? Orlov is a distant genetic relative on one of my known R2 lines. I guess I could have posted this in the "Related to anybody famous?" thread instead of partially hijacking this one.

If you like Soviet espionage history, the newest book to be written about Orlov is "Stalin's Agent" by Boris Volodarsky, (Oxford University Press, not yet published, but available in January 2015). Volodarsky is a former Soviet intelligence officer. Older books are "Alexander Orlov: The FBI's KGB General" by Edward Gazur, his sympathetic FBI handler (2002, Basic Books), and "Deadly Illusions" by John Costello and Oleg Tsarev (1993, Crown Publishing). Tsarev is a former Soviet state-security officer, who did not have the same view of Orlov as Gazur. In fact, Gazur wrote his book in part to refute some of the things in Tsarev's book.

Kopfjäger
10-08-2014, 09:06 PM
Yes, it would appear he is. I've got an excellent evil overlord pedigree.

http://www.geni.com/projects/G-P303-Y-DNA/9839

Lol, evil overlord. I didn't know Capone's paternal lineage is from Campania, which is interesting since my maternal grandmother's family is also from there (Naples and Avellino). Actually, I notice that a number of strongmen belong to Haplogroup G2a: Al Capone and Joseph Stalin.