PDA

View Full Version : Related to anybody famous?

Pages : [1] 2 3

sparkey
09-22-2014, 11:32 PM
I've had a few interesting success stories (and disappointments) when researching my own genealogy and trying to determine relationships with famous people. I'm wondering if anybody here has similar stories.

So: Are you related to anybody famous? Did you determine the relationship through genealogy, or genetic testing, or both? Or perhaps you've disproved a suspected famous relation?

MitchellSince1893
09-23-2014, 12:47 AM
So far not any famous direct ancestors but I share a common ancestor with Thomas Jefferson...his great great grandparents were my 10th great grand parents...Henry Soane and Judith Fuller. So TJ is my 3rd cousin 8 times removed.

Erik
09-23-2014, 02:22 AM
yes but the person is a secret because i don't want to compromise our privacy

VinceT
09-23-2014, 04:48 AM
Apparently Carl Wilhelm Scheele (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wilhelm_Scheele) was my fifth cousin 8 times removed. And presumably Thomas Jefferson was my 25th cousin five times removed.

sparkey
09-23-2014, 05:04 AM
Apparently Carl Wilhelm Scheele (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Wilhelm_Scheele) was my fifth cousin 8 times removed. And presumably Thomas Jefferson was my 25th cousin five times removed.

So your common ancestor with Thomas Jefferson is what, your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent? Not sure I'd brag about that one. :P

Adrian Stevenson
09-23-2014, 06:23 AM
I only found this out a couple of years ago after speaking to a family member. My Dad never even knew this, but his cousin did.

Robert Edward Stevenson was a well known film director for Walt Disney. He is my 2nd cousin 3x removed. He directed many films such as "Mary Popins", "The Love Bug" and "Herbie rides again".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stevenson_(director)

He married "Anna Lee" (real name Joan Boniface Winnifrith) of "General Hospital" fame.

Their daughter, Joanna Venetia Invicta Stevenson, a B Movie actress in the 50's who dated Elvis, married Don Everly of the "Everly Brothers". Their daughter Erin, married Axl Rose of "Guns N Roses". He wrote "Sweet Child of Mine" about her.

Cheers, Ade.

VinceT
09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
So your common ancestor with Thomas Jefferson is what, your great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-great-grandparent? Not sure I'd brag about that one. :P
LOL
Never said I was, but where exactly does one draw the line for "brag-worthy? ;)

rossa
09-23-2014, 04:02 PM
Supposedly a 4th or 5th cousin to Brooke Shields.

sparkey
09-23-2014, 04:46 PM
Robert Edward Stevenson was a well known film director for Walt Disney. He is my 2nd cousin 3x removed. He directed many films such as "Mary Popins", "The Love Bug" and "Herbie rides again".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Stevenson_(director)

That's a cool one. Does that basically confirm Robert Stevenson as an I1 carrier then?

Salkin
09-23-2014, 05:05 PM
Not within a genealogical timeframe, but as G2a I clearly share one or more male ancestors with Ioseb Besarionis Dze Jugashvili, also known as Stalin, and also one Alphonse Capone. (And Ötzi.)

I've been warned 23andMe's haplotree is outdated and dodgy, but I don't think they'd misidentify G2a. Subclades, though...

sparkey
09-23-2014, 05:11 PM
Some from my family:

I'm a 3rd cousin, 4 times removed of Wyatt Earp. His great-grandfather Phillip Earp and my ancestor Josiah Earp were brothers who both served in the American Revolution. I've traced the relationship genealogically, and there is an Earp Project at FTDNA (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/EARP/), although I'm not certain if any of those tested are descended from Phillip. But presuming that the genealogy is correct, it makes no difference, and you can see Wyatt Earp's haplotype there, which is R1b of some flavor.

Another interesting relationship is with Thomas Sumter, an American Revolutionary War general who gave his name to Fort Sumter, and gave his nickname "the fighting gamecock" to the University of South Carolina, etc. The precise relationship can't be established genealogically, which makes this case particularly interesting. A DNA project established that a descendant of my most distant Sumpter ancestor (Sumpter being the more correct spelling of the surname--Thomas used the less usual spelling) matched Y-DNA with a descendant of Thomas Sumter's brother, William. In fact, William is the best candidate for my proven ancestor's father, as he is known through census records to have had more children than appear by name in surviving documents, and they lived in the same county of North Carolina. Unfortunately, the Sumpter/Sumter DNA project disappeared, since it was associated with Ancestry.com, but I did mark down that the Sumpter/Sumter haplotype was an R1b one, probably R1b-U106.

Some other genealogical relationships that I've traced include Interior Secretary Dirk Kempthorne, Mississippi Governor James K. Vardaman (not a very nice man though), eugenicist Joseph DeJarnette (yeah, not a very nice man either), the Opdycke/Updike family that includes John Updike and Emerson Opdycke, and fellow descendants of an old Virginia family name Davis, including Vice President John C. Breckinridge and others. Most of these are pretty distant, other than Kempthorne, who is my grandmother's second cousin.

I discovered most of these through my own research. When growing up, the only one I was told about was a supposed relationship to Andrew Jackson. But DNA testing at the Jackson DNA Project at FTDNA has proven the Jacksons I descend from to be different than the Jackson family that included Andrew. I've similarly disproven a suspected relationship to Sergeant Alvin C. York by DNA testing.

Scarlet Ibis
09-23-2014, 09:35 PM
Distantly to Joseph Biden. We are supposedly descended from the same Robinettes.

In a practical sense, it means absolutely nothing. It interested me, though, when I saw his full name was Joseph Robinette Biden, and I decided to look his family tree up online.

Gary Corbett
09-24-2014, 05:07 AM
6th cousin twice removed,if memory serves,with Douglas MacArthur.
7th cousin once and twice removed with Peggy Fleming.
About an 8th cousin with Pappy Boyington.
6th great grandson of Welsh poet the Rev. Goronwy Owen.
Something like a 10th cousin with Don Mattingly.
2nd cousins and some level removed with Henry Clay.
About 4 different lines back to Edward I.

All contingent on paper trail genealogy being correct with no surprise parents etc.
The easiest and most sure way to see if you came from the Plantagenets in England is to get Douglas Richardson's massive book,Plantagenet Ancestry.
It tells about 5 to 6 hundred Colonial immigrants with documented lines back to them.
If you can find one of these folks in your background and are sure of it,then I guess you win.
Be advised it won't get you anything,though-outside of genealogy freaks,nobody really cares. ;)

rms2
09-24-2014, 12:06 PM
One of my paternal second great grandmothers was a Washburn (Olive Augusta Washburn, b. 1839). Her family was an old New England Puritan line. Through her, we are descended from Miles Standish and a number of other Mayflower folks. That is how a number of the old ladies in my family got into the Mayflower Society. I could get into it, too, if I wanted, but it's not my thing, not at this point, anyway.

The Washburns also allegedly connect us to some folks of royal descent, but that seems so remote to me as to be pretty much uninspiring. I figure most people of European ancestry have that as an element of their pedigrees when one goes back far enough. It isn't all that exciting.

I have corresponded with some of my distant Washburn cousins, however. I found out they belong to y haplogroup I-M253, for one thing. That part is interesting.

warwick
09-24-2014, 04:31 PM
I personally don't find 6th cousin or more distant family connections very interesting at this point. The most interesting stuff I've found recently was via requests of military service records from the past 60 years in the family.

dp
09-24-2014, 05:04 PM
LOL
Never said I was, but where exactly does one draw the line for "brag-worthy? ;)
Ever met someone who found a genealogical connection to Edward the Confessor, Charlemagne, or the like? They'd like you to think it should mean something to you.
If I remember right, after 7 generations (maybe 10?) the auDNA is so admixed it's hard to prove genetic relationships --IBD << IBS. I'd say genealogy to that level is more of trivia.
Mind you I'm still trying to find the identity of my immigrant ancestors....
dp :-)

warwick
09-24-2014, 05:12 PM
Ever met someone who found a genealogical connection to Edward the Confessor, Charlemagne, or the like? They'd like you to think it should mean something to you.
If I remember right, after 7 generations (maybe 10?) the auDNA is so admixed it's hard to prove genetic relationships --IBD << IBS. I'd say genealogy to that level is more of trivia.
Mind you I'm still trying to find the identity of my immigrant ancestors....
dp :-)

From a genetics standpoint, 4th cousin and beyond is essentially unrelated.

dp
09-24-2014, 05:29 PM
From a genetics standpoint, 4th cousin and beyond is essentially unrelated.
ummm.... In the edit reason of #16 I wrote "right on warwick"
:-)
dp

warwick
09-24-2014, 05:33 PM
ummm.... In the edit reason of #16 I wrote "right on warwick"
:-)
dp

The good news, for example, is that in Virginia, everyone is directly descended from George Washington (despite the fact he had no children).

CelticGerman
09-24-2014, 08:29 PM
this may help:
http://en.geneastar.org/

sparkey
09-24-2014, 09:22 PM
this may help:
http://en.geneastar.org/

Works great, although after trying out several surnames in my family tree to see if they came up in any famous pedigrees, I was only able to find confirmation of a couple famous relationships I already knew about (Wyatt Earp and John C. Breckinridge).

N21163
09-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Go back far enough and a lot of people will have some connection to a family of "royal" or "noble" standing.

My paternal grandfather had distant ancestry in Guernsey to the Guille/Weston family in the 15th century.
James Guille (Bailiff of Guernsey and the Royal Court, 1511-1537) married Anne Weston (daughter of Sir Edmund Weston and Catherine Camel) in the early 1520's.

The 'Queen Mother' (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite BOWES-LYON), was a descendant of this Weston family, through Anne's brother Sir Richard Weston ( Governor of Guernsey, Treasurer of Calais and Under-Treasurer of the Exchequer during the reign of King Henry VIII of England) and his wife Anne Sandys.

As such I am a '15th cousin' to the Duke of Cambridge and the plethora of other lines that descend from the Weston family...

rod
09-25-2014, 04:29 AM
One of my great-grandfather's 4th cousin was Franklin Roosevelt (on their mothers' sides).
My favorite famous relative (by marriage) who I actually met was another great-grandfather's 2nd cousin's husband Eddie Cicotte (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eddie_Cicotte).

dp
09-25-2014, 05:36 PM
Go back far enough and a lot of people will have some connection to a family of "royal" or "noble" standing.
If I remember right 1/10 or more of all western Europeans (or maybe just British types) descend from Edward the Black Prince.
Wikipedia:
Edward had illegitimate sons, all born before his marriage.[citation needed]

By Edith de Willesford (d. after 1385):

Sir Roger Clarendon (1345/60 - executed 1402); he married Margaret (d. 1382), a daughter of John Fleming, Baron de la Roche.[6]
By unknown mothers:

Edward (b. ca. 1349 - died young)
Sir John Sounder[7]
Sir Charles FitzEdward (b. ca. 1352-)
Edward married his cousin, Joan, Countess of Kent (1328-1385), on 10 October 1361. She was the daughter and heiress of Edmund of Woodstock, Earl of Kent, the younger son of King Edward I by his second wife Margaret of France. They had two sons from this marriage. Both sons were born in France, where the Prince and Princess of Wales had taken up duties as Prince and Princess of Aquitaine.

Edward of Angoulême (27 January 1365 - January 1372)
Richard II of England (6 January 1367 – c. 14 February 1400) often referred to as Richard of Bordeaux for his place of birth.
From his marriage to Joan, he also became stepfather to her children, including Thomas Holland, 2nd Earl of Kent whose daughter, Joan Holland, would marry Edward's brother, Edmund of Langley. Edward's other stepson, John Holland, 1st Duke of Exeter, would marry Edward's niece, Elizabeth of Lancaster, daughter of his brother, John of Gaunt.

-dp

PS: check out http://montaukiowa.com/royals.htm for info on Henry I "Beauclerc" King 1068 - 1135

VinceT
09-25-2014, 06:43 PM

My paternal grandfather had distant ancestry in Guernsey to the Guille/Weston family in the 15th century.
James Guille (Bailiff of Guernsey and the Royal Court, 1511-1537) married Anne Weston (daughter of Sir Edmund Weston and Catherine Camel) in the early 1520's.

The 'Queen Mother' (Elizabeth Angela Marguerite BOWES-LYON), was a descendant of this Weston family, through Anne's brother Sir Richard Weston ( Governor of Guernsey, Treasurer of Calais and Under-Treasurer of the Exchequer during the reign of King Henry VIII of England) and his wife Anne Sandys.

As such I am a '15th cousin' to the Duke of Cambridge and the plethora of other lines that descend from the Weston family...

Oooh, you have me beat - I'm allegedly a 16th cousin through both his parents, both are descendants of Christian IX of Denmark, who was an 11th cousin to my 3rd great-grandmother. And Charlemagne was my 36th GGF.

But within 6 generations? My 2nd once removed cousin is an actor playing a regular character on a CBC produced family drama.

MikeWhalen
09-25-2014, 08:31 PM
nope-nothin

just poor Irish, poor fishing fleet English, poor Scots evidently

possibly a couple of pirates, one sort of 4th rate Disney singer, some distant rich broad that survived the sinking of the titanic

all the cool 'stories' that I got told as a kid, I proved wrong by pen and paper genealogy...heir presumptive to a New York Governor's millions, descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress
-what a pity the 2nd one is not true...that would be cool to be a direct Y line decentant of the Iron Duke and Churchill lines

The handsome Irish coachman that fell for the boss's daughter and they eloped and fled to Canada in an open deck whaling ship to start my line in Canada is at least partially true, maybe all, except the 'fled' part

thats about the best I got, sorry guys
:)

Mike

warwick
09-25-2014, 08:36 PM
My great uncle (by marriage not genetically related) led the Berlin Airlift: (he was the brother-in-law of my great-grandfather)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_H._Tunner

There is an unproven claim for relationship to:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Byrd_II

George Chandler
09-25-2014, 08:48 PM
nope-nothin

just poor Irish, poor fishing fleet English, poor Scots evidently

possibly a couple of pirates, one sort of 4th rate Disney singer, some distant rich broad that survived the sinking of the titanic

all the cool 'stories' that I got told as a kid, I proved wrong by pen and paper genealogy...heir presumptive to a New York Governor's millions, descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress
-what a pity the 2nd one is not true...that would be cool to be a direct Y line decentant of the Iron Duke and Churchill lines

The handsome Irish coachman that fell for the boss's daughter and they eloped and fled to Canada in an open deck whaling ship to start my line in Canada is at least partially true, maybe all, except the 'fled' part

thats about the best I got, sorry guys
:)

Mike

My Ferrari turned into a squash a long time ago. Still looking for the Princess to find me and hand my glass cowboy boot! LOL Back to scrubbing the floor.

sparkey
09-25-2014, 09:11 PM
descendants of the Duke of Marlborough's beautiful mistress

Almost forgot to mention, I'm related to the Earls of Marlborough. Their surname, Ley, was the original surname of the Kempthorne family I descend from, the Kempthornes being the junior branch. Of course, the relationship is so long ago, that there's probably no significant genetic relationship, and the Earls of Marlborough weren't as important as, or even related to, the Dukes of Marlborough as far as I know. The Dukes of Marlborough would be a very interesting relationship indeed.

Baltimore1937
10-03-2014, 12:59 AM
Now that I've lost confidence in my direct maternal line going back to King John and other illustrious ancestors in Medieval times, I'll have to settle for Daniel Boone as my first cousin six times removed. It still looks like I'm also related to a colonial governor of Maryland, but that is somewhat vague the further one goes along that line. My maternal grandmother once said, when I asked her about her Mayflower roots, that it was really Jamestown. I don't know what all she knew back there in the 1940s. She may have been referring to her Puckett line, which went back to early Virginia. But as for my direct maternal line, that could also trace back to early tidewater Virginia. Then again, it could be from the "Great Migration" to New England.

I notice the surname "Pinkerton" (famous detective agency) pops up in a list of surnames of a match connected to my strongest match at FTDNA ("in common with").

rmm0484
11-11-2014, 05:22 PM
Originally, our single claim to fame was based on old family stories that at one time, the German side (paternal) of my family were millionaires, but lost all of this money. This proved to be true, BUT what was not passed on was that we were related to Father George Rapp, who started the Harmony society - you can read about it here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmony_Society. The Harmony Society itself was wealthy, but it dissolved at some point. We were never wealthy as individuals. After this, I was sure that I was descended from a long line of peasants and nobodies, but in reviewing my mother's French Canadian Chippewa side, that we were related somehow to the Cadotte fur trading family of the great lakes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Cadotte. Since my mother's side of the family seemed to be more interesting than my father's, I found that her Danish Great grandmother (from very humble origins) was related to the danish nobility (through a NPE), and through her norwegian father's side, back to the early Kings of Sweden and Norway (and thus to a large part of European royalty). One more thing about old family stories with a grain of truth.... my father's people said that my grandfather was from Scottish and English stock. I assumed that GF was scottish, and GM was english, but it seems to be the other way around, and at another level (GGF and GGM). Moreover, instead of GGF working as an engineer on the Chicago El, he may have been related to a person who designed the steam engine used on locomotives. (Still checking this out)

Leeroy Jenkins
11-12-2014, 04:23 AM
My cousin kicked the game winning goal for the US women's team in the 1996 Olympics. Quite the exhibitionist, as well. :)

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view1/3364281/brandi-celebration-o.gif (http://gifsoup.com/view/3364281/brandi-celebration.html) GIFSoup (http://gifsoup.com)

geebee
11-12-2014, 06:08 AM
'Bout the best I know of personally is that a 4th cousin twice removed was lieutenant governor of the little state of Delaware. Even without DNA evidence or genealogy, I'd have figured us to be cousins of some sort -- since we have the same very unusual, made-in-America surname.

However, there is also DNA evidence. His Y chromosome and mine match on 46 of 46 markers. And additional work of the conventional genealogical kind has shown us to have as our most recent common ancestor (in the Y-line, anyway), the man who brought our surname to America. Or rather, who brought the German form of our surname. By his grandsons' generation, the name had morphed into its present form.

(Forms, really, since some of us spell the name with one "m" and some with two. It turns out, though, that the same thing was true even of the German form, and sometimes the same people appear as "Buchhamer" in one document, and "Buchhammer" in another. The only real difference in the Americanized versions is "Book" instead of "Buch". My cousin and I are both of the two-m variety.)

My wife, on the other hand, is one of the millions of descendants of Mayflower passengers. Her Mayflower couples include William and Mary Brewster -- through their son Love -- and William and Susannah White, through their son Peregrine.

That makes her a cousin to U.S. presidents Zachary Taylor and Herbert Hoover; vice presidents Hannibal Hamlin, Charles Gates Dawes, Nelson Rockefeller, and Dan Quayle; and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. She's also related to Howard Dean, Julia Child, Bing Crosby, Richard Gere, Katherine Hepburn, Ashley Judd, George McClellan, and Cokie Roberts -- all of whom are reportedly William Brewster descendants. Oh, and Grace Slick (who is supposed to be descended from William White).

rmm0484
11-12-2014, 09:17 AM
'Bout the best I know of personally is that a 4th cousin twice removed was lieutenant governor of the little state of Delaware. Even without DNA evidence or genealogy, I'd have figured us to be cousins of some sort -- since we have the same very unusual, made-in-America surname.

However, there is also DNA evidence. His Y chromosome and mine match on 46 of 46 markers. And additional work of the conventional genealogical kind has shown us to have as our most recent common ancestor (in the Y-line, anyway), the man who brought our surname to America. Or rather, who brought the German form of our surname. By his grandsons' generation, the name had morphed into its present form.

(Forms, really, since some of us spell the name with one "m" and some with two. It turns out, though, that the same thing was true even of the German form, and sometimes the same people appear as "Buchhamer" in one document, and "Buchhammer" in another. The only real difference in the Americanized versions is "Book" instead of "Buch". My cousin and I are both of the two-m variety.)

My wife, on the other hand, is one of the millions of descendants of Mayflower passengers. Her Mayflower couples include William and Mary Brewster -- through their son Love -- and William and Susannah White, through their son Peregrine.

That makes her a cousin to U.S. presidents Zachary Taylor and Herbert Hoover; vice presidents Hannibal Hamlin, Charles Gates Dawes, Nelson Rockefeller, and Dan Quayle; and vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin. She's also related to Howard Dean, Julia Child, Bing Crosby, Richard Gere, Katherine Hepburn, Ashley Judd, George McClellan, and Cokie Roberts -- all of whom are reportedly William Brewster descendants. Oh, and Grace Slick (who is supposed to be descended from William White).

It is amazing how some people are related to so many other famous people, isn't it?? William Addams Reitwiesner (may he rest in peace) spent a great deal of time on researching the connections of people (mostly famous), with some interesting results. ....Your wife may find even more relatives here! Scroll down on the pages, the site is not very sophisticated.... http://www.wargs.com/.

As an example, see the relationship between Senator McCain and Former Governor Palin: http://www.wargs.com/political/pm.html. I am sure that they did not know that they were related when they became connected politically.

dp
11-12-2014, 03:49 PM
Famous ---distant cousins---:
North Carolina related:
NC Lieut. Governors Hoyt Patrick Taylor (Sr. & Jr) (http://www.ncleg.net/Sessions/2009/Bills/House/PDF/H2074v3.pdf)
NC & Virginia related:
Judge Mills Lee Eure (http://books.google.com/books?id=ee0cAQAAIAAJ&pg=PA436&lpg=PA436&dq=mills+lee+eure&source=bl&ots=cFxWbBf7qV&sig=j1JEc2uG3w_O0mcGZwkF_UyJmUY&hl=en&sa=X&ei=ooFjVJyQEIOjgwSuyILoDQ&ved=0CE4Q6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q=mills%20lee%20eure&f=false)

All were cousins of my great-great grandmother.
-dp

Gary Corbett
11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
Another of my favorites-Benjamin Franklin,1st cousin nine times removed.
Probably why we look so much alike...

irishcheese
12-03-2014, 05:55 AM
The most recent relative in time to me is Clyde Barrow! My mom's family wouldn't talk about it for a longggg time. In addition to:

Sir. Thomas Wyatt: Last person to be beheaded in the Tower of London
Sir. Henry Wyatt the father of Thomas who courted Ann Boylen before she married King Henry
Pierre Chastain: The leader of the french settlement in colonial VA
The first preacher of Jamestown (forgot his name: it's 1:02 AM here)
Distantly related to a wife of a "troubled" past president (not saying who)
Distantly related to a Congressman (who I will also not name)

Baltimore1937
03-07-2015, 03:52 PM
Well, forget about DNA. For a while I constructed a direct maternal line leading back to King John of England. Actually, it was to one of his mistresses' daughters (Joan, Lady of Wales). But guess what. I just connected to that line again, via following a different trail at Ancestry. But this time there is no traceable DNA trail; just a "paper" trail. The point where my old false trail (valid, but I'm not connected) and my new trail come together is Sir John "Le Boef" Giffard Sr. (1232-1299). Or rather to his wife Maud de Clifford (1234-1282). But I haven't added a lot of that info yet to my tree. I just can't seem to shake King John (maybe that's why I'm so ornery, ha ha).

Baltimore1937
03-08-2015, 08:01 PM
Now that I look at that old false trail ^, I'm no longer certain that it was really connected to King John the way I had it. It was based on a geographical coming together of two different people with the name Fisher. So I'm glad I dropped it.

Mary Ann Boarman (c.1659-1721) of early colonial Maryland is a key person. If anyone is connected to her, their tree is overwhelmed by Medieval greats. It sucks out the oxygen from one's tree. So I limit the connections shown in my tree. She married Robert Francis Green/Greene, who was the son of the second colonial governor of Maryland, Gov. Thomas Francis Greene.

Baltimore1937
03-12-2015, 03:10 PM
Now that I look at that old false trail ^, I'm no longer certain that it was really connected to King John the way I had it. It was based on a geographical coming together of two different people with the name Fisher. So I'm glad I dropped it.

Mary Ann Boarman (c.1659-1721) of early colonial Maryland is a key person. If anyone is connected to her, their tree is overwhelmed by Medieval greats. It sucks out the oxygen from one's tree. So I limit the connections shown in my tree. She married Robert Francis Green/Greene, who was the son of the second colonial governor of Maryland, Gov. Thomas Francis Greene.

I'm having second thoughts about Mary Ann Boarman's s Medieval connections. Dates make that connection just not possible. Of course we all have Medieval connections. But who were they? The little people simply disappear in the record. Mary still has knights in her ancestry. After all, she married a son of a colonial governor. But a direct line to King John doesn't seem to be there.

AJL
03-12-2015, 03:43 PM
reviewing my mother's French Canadian Chippewa side, that we were related somehow to the Cadotte fur trading family of the great lakes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michel_Cadotte.

If you have Métis ancestry including Québécois and Chippewa/Ojibway/Anishinaabe then you're almost certainly related to a large number of hockey stars.

Having some old Massachusetts and other NE/Colonial US ancestry, I have many famous distant cousins, such as:

Norman Rockwell (7th 3x removed)
O. Henry [William Sidney Porter] (7th 4x removed)
Franklin Delano Roosevelt (6th 4x removed)

Not as famous as these types but more likely to be sharing some DNA with me, my fourth great-grand uncle William Fowler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Fowler_(artist)

rock hunter
03-12-2015, 05:16 PM
Adam and therefor I am related to all
as we all are, all humans famous ,infamous
that ever were and will ever be, all of you
here are my brothers ,my sisters my relatives
my family and as such,you all have my love.
So who can lend me a 20 till friday?

Bugsy
03-30-2015, 04:42 AM
The good news, for example, is that in Virginia, everyone is directly descended from George Washington (despite the fact he had no children).

Pocahontas is a distant second. I just call her "Grandma".

Baltimore1937
03-30-2015, 09:07 AM
There is one lady who seems to be ancestral to a lot of people: Cyrid Gynrithe Olafsdottir, born around 915 or so in Uppsala, Sweden. She became Queen consort to Harald "Bluetooth", King of Denmark. Several of their children ended up in Normandy. I keep bumping in to her when I'm nosing around Medieval lines.

Baltimore1937
03-30-2015, 11:48 PM
Looking a bit further into that extensive Green branch, I saw a Baron and ambassador to France who was hanged, drawn and quartered at Canterbury, Kent (1322).

Bugsy
03-31-2015, 04:43 AM
There is one lady who seems to be ancestral to a lot of people: Cyrid Gynrithe Olafsdottir, born around 915 or so in Uppsala, Sweden. She became Queen consort to Harald "Bluetooth", King of Denmark. Several of their children ended up in Normandy. I keep bumping in to her when I'm nosing around Medieval lines.

I don't doubt that her descendants could fill a small state. I'm descended from Somerled. The same likely could be said for half the population of Argyll and Ulster, let alone the Western Isles.;) It wouldn't surprise me if a few members of this very forum can claim him.

King
04-12-2015, 12:14 AM
Since my dad and mom belong to a tribe, it's rather easy for me to know the heritage of my paternal and maternal family. While that's not the entire picture, its still a very useful tool. Anyways, there are some who hold top ranks in various sectors of the iraqi society like: government, military, media, etc, but it does not seem that any truly famous person came out of either tribe. Whether it would be someone who would be recognized by the arab world or the western world. Though this could stem from my immediate family's ignorance of their tribal history. Only way for me to know is if I visit the tribal gatherings or tribal leaders and ask them personally about our history. But what I did get from my mother, and I don't know if this is a dubious claim or not, is that her tribe either fought the british when they first entered Iraq or they were the ones who fought and defeated them out of Iraq (if i remember correctly, it was the latter).

Baltimore1937
05-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Regarding Lord Baltimore. I don't have specific details at hand. But all the noise about present day Baltimore, Maryland got me to investigate just how the 1st Lord Baltimore belongs on my family tree. It turns out to be a first wife/second wife situation. Sir Thomas Francis Greene, back in England, married Helen Calvert. She was the sister of Lord Baltimore, George Calvert (1579-1632). But she died before her time, and Sir Thomas took a second wife, Margaret Webb. I am descended from Margaret. But I still placed Lord Baltimore on an outer twig as a decoration, ha ha. The first colonial governor of Maryland was Leonard Calvert, one of Lord Baltimore's sons.

N21163
05-04-2015, 10:21 PM
One of my 2nd cousins (once removed) was married to Bon Scott (original lead singer of ACDC) before he died in 1980

Anglecynn
05-04-2015, 10:34 PM
I'm curious to get some deep y DNA analysis at some point, being an I1 and a Jackson, to see whether i'm of the same group as Andrew Jackson or not - I don't know where my line comes from prior to the early 19th century.

leonardo
05-04-2015, 10:44 PM
One of my 2nd cousins (once removed) was married to Bon Scott (original lead singer of ACDC) before he died in 1980

He always struck me as a wild bachelor type. It's kinda odd to think he was married.

Krefter
05-04-2015, 11:39 PM
Myself.B)

Krefter
05-05-2015, 12:57 AM
My grandma had an aunt who dated hall of fame short stop: Lou Boudreau (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lou_Boudreau). The connection is very lose. My great uncle who was a baseball-enthusiast knew Lou Boudreau though when he was a kid in the 1940s when Bourdearu was in his prime.

I have a great great.... grandfather who married a woman from Noah Webster's family (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noah_Webster) in the early 1800s. She left him and he remarried, and that woman he remarried is my great.... grandfather's mother.

I have a great.... grandfather who with other family members in the 1790s founded a town in New York state which is still there. The same great.... grandfather was a medic who helped care for George Washington once when he was injured during the American Revolution.

My great grandmother had a cousin in Switzerland who(my family says)invented the shoulder paid for suits.

R.Rocca
05-05-2015, 03:52 PM
My father claims he invented the question mark ;)

(Dr. Evil fans will get it)

Gray Fox
05-05-2015, 05:34 PM
My father claims he invented the question mark ;)

(Dr. Evil fans will get it)

Well now we have to show 'em!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMIDpJ8H7H0

N21163
05-05-2015, 09:05 PM
He always struck me as a wild bachelor type. It's kinda odd to think he was married.

They were married from 1972 to 1978...the marriage was certainly strained.

jesus
05-05-2015, 09:39 PM
I found out that I am related to a relatively famous Turkish Anthro-forum member

surbakhunWeesste
05-05-2015, 09:45 PM
I found out that I am related to a relatively famous Turkish Anthro-forum member

Celebrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_VhfxAnXU

Arbogan
05-05-2015, 11:54 PM
Celebrate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vR_VhfxAnXU

This what comes to mind when I think about turkey.
Some nostalgical romantic tune sounding like it's reminiscing about the lost good ole days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0011x75Aos

on-topic:
I found out i'm indirectly related to pierre omidyar via another relative.

Agamemnon
05-06-2015, 12:37 AM
I'm related to Benyamim Tsedaka, a local celebrity in the Samaritan community. You can read about him here (http://www.israelite-samaritans.com/benyamim-tsedaka/).
I'm also related to Roy King, but I'm not exactly sure he qualifies as "famous" (outside the realm of population genetics, at least).

Wolfie
05-21-2015, 01:30 PM
A few famous, or perhaps infamous, ancestors:

Referring to the Rev. JOSEPH MURPHY (1734-1816)
“He was once wicked to a proverb, but now an eminent Christian and useful preacher”
~Morgan Edwards Notebook

From George Washington Paschal’s HISTORY OF NORTH CAROLNA BAPTISTS (again referring to the Rev. JOSEPH MURPHY and the Regulator Movement):
In volume 2, pp 72-73, Paschal quotes Edwards again then follows with this from Records of the Moravians in NC, vol 2, p 620: He (Murphy) suffered by the regulation tho' he had no hand in it; for a detachment of dragoons entered his house, stole his papers, and a new pair of stockings which were the most valuable things, they saw in his little cot." Paschal continues: "It is the general belief of historians that if Murphy had been found at home he would have been sent to Hillsboro, tried for treason, and suffered the same cruel and barbarous death as his fellow Baptis, Benjamin Merrill, who had been seized by the Govenor's foorces only a few days before. Since Murphy was the best known and most successful Baptist leader in this section, his removal was probably much desired by all those who shared Tryon's enmity against the Baptists on the ground that they were enemiees of 'Mother Church." Dr. Hufham's statement is: 'he could not be found or he would have shared the fate of Merrill.'"

Surgeon THOMAS GREENHILL (1669?-1740), author of the book THE ART OF EMBALMING; last child of ELIZABETH GREENHILL, whose claim to fame is that she had 39 children.

Ashina
05-21-2015, 08:59 PM
Not sure if this person is considered famous but on 23andme I am related to the owner of eksi sozluk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ek%C5%9Fi_S%C3%B6zl%C3%BCk). The guy has it's own Wikipedia page too so I guess that counts. ;)

Arbogan
05-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Not sure if this person is considered famous but on 23andme I am related to the owner of eksi sozluk (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ek%C5%9Fi_S%C3%B6zl%C3%BCk). The guy has it's own Wikipedia page too so I guess that counts. ;)

It's a site name.

Ashina
05-21-2015, 11:00 PM
It's a site name.

'the owner of'

The guy who started that site. Sedat Kapanoglu.

JamesGen
05-24-2015, 06:27 AM
Here is something for those of us in the R-U152 Haplogroup. I'm not saying we are related but that we likely share the same Haplogroup.

Krampus
06-24-2015, 07:26 AM
Confirmed:

Firmin Boissin (https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmin_Boissin)

Camille Vielfaure (http://www.assemblee-nationale.fr/sycomore/fiche.asp?num_dept=7471)

Possible:

Louis-Gabriel Suchet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louis-Gabriel_Suchet)

Primo Carnera (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primo_Carnera)

Giandomenico Facchina (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giandomenico_Facchina)

rms2
06-24-2015, 01:24 PM
Here is something for those of us in the R-U152 Haplogroup. I'm not saying we are related but that we likely share the same Haplogroup.

Evidently, there is no real reason to conclude that Washington was U152+, although apparently Lincoln was.

http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3844-G-Washington-a-truly-great-man&p=77000&viewfull=1#post77000

I've told Maciamo to fix the page where he says Washington was U152. One Washington in that surname project is U152+, but does not have the same modals of the Washington that matters (for this discussion). The descendant of the Washington that matters could be any brand of L11/P312.

Barring a NPE, there is no doubt Lincoln was U152+ L2+.

Kopfjäger
06-25-2015, 01:10 AM
One of my gggg-grandfathers is a Polk from Mecklenburg County, North Carolina, and apparently the same grandfather of President James K Polk, making me a distant cousin.

Maybe that's why the switch used by my maternal grandfather stung my ass so much when I refused to eat his collards as a kid. "Old Hickory" we called that switch... Or is that reference more accurately attributed to Andrew Jackson? Hmm...

dragonsmoke
07-05-2015, 10:09 AM
alleged descendancy from a child of US VP Daniel Decius Tompkins

Arbogan
07-05-2015, 07:53 PM
It's unconfirmed.. but supposedly I descend from the line of muhammed via the imam musa al kadhim:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musa_al-Kadhim

I can't say with any certainity whether there is a verifiable relationship. We have some sayeeds in our family.

Sequana
07-06-2015, 02:33 AM
I've had a few interesting success stories (and disappointments) when researching my own genealogy and trying to determine relationships with famous people. I'm wondering if anybody here has similar stories.

So: Are you related to anybody famous? Did you determine the relationship through genealogy, or genetic testing, or both? Or perhaps you've disproved a suspected famous relation?

Genealogy so far

PureEvil
07-16-2015, 03:14 AM
I'm supposedly a descendant of the York family, the one from the War of Roses. York would be one of my family's last names and this isn't some name that was "Anglicized" either, they're from England and wealthy as well, not all of the family of course. Not sure on it but I wouldn't be surprised if it were true seeing as this York family is capable of quite the "theatrics". Not sure on the York family though, and I mean that in multiple ways. Hard to say...

BalkanKiwi
07-16-2015, 09:42 PM
The previous Croatian president is my 7th cousin (if that counts for anything).

thetick
07-18-2015, 03:13 PM
Warren Buffett's wife is my 5th cousin. :)

rms2
07-18-2015, 10:37 PM
Warren Buffett's wife is my 5th cousin. :)

Now if you had said Jimmy Buffett, that would have been something.

Stephen1986
07-19-2015, 01:13 AM
George Washington is my seventh cousin ten times removed via my Hesketh and Towneley ancestors, and Sir Tom Finney is my second cousin twice removed.

ThomasSEPA
07-28-2015, 03:09 PM
Too many to count. On dad's side, nobody. That we know of, anyway - his side is fairly all Welsh or PA Dutch, so there might be someone across the pond, or connected via someone from way back, but who knows? Mom's side is another story. She was from the south. They are related to everyone in creation.

For example: Judy Garland; Lucille Ball AND Desi Arnaz; Humphrey Bogart; Katherine Hepburn; Jane Dolinger (pin-up girl and anthropologist writer); Ryan Phillippe,John Browning of rifle fame; a bunch of presidents including JFK, Lyndon Johnson, Rutherford Hayes, Franklin Pierce, and some of their wives; also Barack Obama through his white mother's black ancestor, John Bunch/Punch, via DNA evidence; supposedly the Bushes (but I haven't proven those yet); John Glenn; Henry David Thoreau; Oliver Wendell Holmes; Butch Cassidy; Laura Ingalls Wilder; Norman Rockwell; Georgia O'Keefe.... There are a lot more - tons of poets, too.

Some of these we knew (i.e. Ryan Phillippe, Jane Dolinger, and John Browning) because they aren't so far removed. And I found LBJ and Obama on my own, as well as Edward Fuller (Mayflower passenger). But some years back, Ancestry used to provide lists of "famous relatives" - of course, they were based on people's incorrect trees as glommed together in their One World Tree - but I decided to print mine out, and see who I could connect from proven lineage. I would say that I did with about 75% of them. Some were immediate throwaways, like Thomas More. And when I eventually had my DNA done, some of them made a lot more sense - like Desi Arnaz. I had Latin American lineage I could not explain. Eventually I found a family connection to Costa Rica, and they had family members who were of Cuban lineage. So there's DNA proof as well.

I've been doing genealogy for 35 years or so. Someone was talking in an early post about folks who are linked to Charlemagne, that is was just untrue..... Of course the genealogical proof that you get from years of research, or from lines already proven (such as presidential lineage) is entirely different from what you get via DNA. We all know this. But *someone* has to be related to them - it's all on paper, of course - and any DNA evidence still doesn't change history. They say now that John Lackland was not Henry II's child, from DNA evidence. This would make all royalty from John on null and void. But we can't change history. So for all intents and purposes, John Lackland was Henry's son, and DNA doesn't change that paper relationship. And from history, on paper, if you are related to Henry II, you are related to Charlemagne. Henry's illegitimate son William DeLongspee was my ancestor on paper, very possibly as well with DNA, because of certain ethnicities that have no other explanation. So I am not going to say I'm *not related to Charlemagne.

Genealogy isn't always about the DNA. It's about the connection. It's about the cultural heritage you did (or didn't) get from those who have come before.

Baltimore1937
07-28-2015, 07:31 PM
Now that I no longer consider John Lackland my direct ancestor, he rather bores me. The line leading back to him was shaky in the first place. But if it is was valid, there are a lot of people in the USA who really are descended from him. I had connected to him via a Hunt family link. On the other hand, I still have a plausible link to Henry II via another line, even if the DNA has faded away over the centuries.

Baltimore1937
07-30-2015, 05:50 AM
I just bumped into a claim that a man in a tentative maternal line of mine was the 5th great-grandfather of President "I'm not a crook" Richard Nixon! But I haven't tried to verify that.

later: Well, I can't seem to verify the above claim. It doesn't show up on Richard Nixon's Wiki-Tree online. However, I have seen the surname Nixon pop up now and then in my brow sings. The Nixon surname goes back to Nykson in Yorkshire. That might be extrapolated way back to the Dano-Angle invasions?

ThomasSEPA
07-30-2015, 08:57 PM
If you are from Baltimore, it's likely. Nixon's family lived in York County, PA -

Baltimore1937
08-01-2015, 04:28 AM
I think I see what happened with my (possible) above mentioned Nixon connection. It looks like the person claiming it was off by a brother; Gayen Miller versus James Miller. He chose Gayen, while it really looks like James. This is back on the Milhous branch (R. Nixon's mom's side).

rms2
08-01-2015, 12:47 PM
Guess I am one of those people for whom celebrity has little to no appeal. Honestly, I wouldn't cross the street to get a closer look at a famous person, and I really don't care about being related to famous people. I really really don't like crowds, for one thing, and celebrities attract them. Plus there is just something that strikes me as singularly sniveling, servile, and obsequious about chasing after celebrities - like the cult of the British Royal Family here in the USA. It baffles me. Yeah, nice looking family, but who cares?

khanabadoshi
08-01-2015, 01:45 PM
I'm having a hard enough time finding a single match on anything... at this point I'd be happy to be related to the mailman LOL.

Maybe those Tarim mummies? Who knows?

Baltimore1937
08-05-2015, 07:00 AM
It goes from the ridiculous to the sublime! That tentative maternal line I added not only is connected to a direct ancestor of Dick Nixon, it has a few claims (only a very few) to Charles I of England and wife Henrietta Marie de Bourbon de Medici (1609-1669). I'm beginning to think maybe it's a wrong trail.

Baltimore1937
08-08-2015, 09:20 AM
It goes from the ridiculous to the sublime! That tentative maternal line I added not only is connected to a direct ancestor of Dick Nixon, it has a few claims (only a very few) to Charles I of England and wife Henrietta Marie de Bourbon de Medici (1609-1669). I'm beginning to think maybe it's a wrong trail.

Well, just forget it! On closer inspection of my direct maternal line, I probably have a brick wall in the 1800s. That whole branch before then is likely invalid. That would mean I don't have a southern branch (and no slaves). Wheeldon versus Wheelan. I had thought it was the former; but it looks like it's the latter. All that creative work for nothing. hmm...

Christina
08-11-2015, 04:22 AM
Essential reading for everyone who posted on this thread:

http://phenomena.nationalgeographic.com/2013/05/07/charlemagnes-dna-and-our-universal-royalty/

Now, I for one (and other of his mathematician friends) may disagree with his calculations, putting the most recent common ancestor at ~600 years ago for every European alive. However, the earliest estimates I have seen are about 500BC. In other words, if we are not all related to Charlemagne, there's a good chance that we are all related to Alexander the Great.

Now, how much DNA do you share with these famous ancestors?

Read this article:

http://www.genetic-inference.co.uk/blog/2009/11/how-many-ancestors-share-our-dna/

Math can be fun. And at the same time, coldly disappointing.

JohnHowellsTyrfro
08-11-2015, 06:01 AM
Guess I am one of those people for whom celebrity has little to no appeal. Honestly, I wouldn't cross the street to get a closer look at a famous person, and I really don't care about being related to famous people. I really really don't like crowds, for one thing, and celebrities attract them. Plus there is just something that strikes me as singularly sniveling, servile, and obsequious about chasing after celebrities - like the cult of the British Royal Family here in the USA. It baffles me. Yeah, nice looking family, but who cares?

There are people in the UK who feel exactly the same way. :) I'm not interested in celebrity, but because of my interest in history it would be interesting to have a proven link to a specific historic figure because it could help define ancestral origins, although I appreciate I could share that with an awful lot of people. :) My ancestors seem to have been farmers or farm labourers so any such link doesn't seem likely. :)

Baltimore1937
08-11-2015, 10:48 AM
Well, just forget it! On closer inspection of my direct maternal line, I probably have a brick wall in the 1800s. That whole branch before then is likely invalid. That would mean I don't have a southern branch (and no slaves). Wheeldon versus Wheelan. I had thought it was the former; but it looks like it's the latter. All that creative work for nothing. hmm...

Well, now I'm back to the Wheeldons, but shifted over to a different brother. That gets me to a wife that is a brick wall. I'm still looking for my direct maternal line (U5b2b2). This one was born about 1816 in Kentucky. With her last name being Lee, it looks like her line goes back to Virginia. Of course the surname changes with each generation in the female line.

MikeWhalen
08-11-2015, 11:25 AM
I agree with rms regarding celebrities and todays trend of practically worshiping them. I particularly agree with his following comment, must be the Irish in us

'Plus there is just something that strikes me as singularly sniveling, servile, and obsequious about chasing after celebrities '

I do feel somewhat differently about some cool ancient relationship, by definition it would have to be an historical figure and I am a real history buff so I do think that would be neat!
Of course, I do not have any known link to someone famous and I am not dopey enough to strut around thinking I am some sort of big deal if I was

...as the family genealogist, I did in fact burst the bubble of a few family stories-one line was supposed to be from the Duke of Marlborough mistress (nope) and another was the long lost kin to a rich New York state Governor (nope)

the best I have, as noted previously in some post, is a couple of Devonshire/Newfoundland stock fishermen were possibly/probably pirates at one time

all of my ancestors, as best as I can figure, were pretty much, just plain old hard working farmers, loggers or fishermen-no jewels or tiara's there I'm afraid

Mike

JohnHowellsTyrfro
08-11-2015, 12:07 PM
One interesting thing is that it wasn't uncommon for the rich and influential to "take advantage" of servant girls and others. There was one such case amongst my ancestors that I know of, so I suppose you never know..... :)

AJL
08-14-2015, 02:43 AM
A relative by marriage (my cousin's cousin):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoni_S%C5%82onimski

Baltimore1937
08-23-2015, 02:15 AM
I just deleted my old tree from "My Heritage", and uploaded my current Ancestry tree (which is never finished). So that erroneous maternal line leading back to King John is now erased.

WFG80
12-26-2015, 08:14 AM
Great grand uncle: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0337872/

Baltimore1937
01-14-2016, 05:27 PM
I just deleted my old tree from "My Heritage", and uploaded my current Ancestry tree (which is never finished). So that erroneous maternal line leading back to King John is now erased.

King John is back. Since I changed my maternal ancestress to Cynthia A. Lee, born 1816, I connected her daddy's male line to King John, although it eventually switched to offshoot lines to get there. Katherine Blount married Sir Humphrey Lee, and so on. But I still don't know Cynthia's mother's direct maternal line (U5b2b2).

Baltimore1937
01-16-2016, 02:41 PM
King John is back. Since I changed my maternal ancestress to Cynthia A. Lee, born 1816, I connected her daddy's male line to King John, although it eventually switched to offshoot lines to get there. Katherine Blount married Sir Humphrey Lee, and so on. But I still don't know Cynthia's mother's direct maternal line (U5b2b2).

I just noticed that this King John connection is also Robert E. Lee's connection. My (supposed) Lee tree connects to that big Virginia Lee tree back in England.

Baltimore1937
01-16-2016, 06:10 PM
I just noticed that this King John connection is also Robert E. Lee's connection. My (supposed) Lee tree connects to that big Virginia Lee tree back in England.

Well, just forget what I said. There are just too many conflicting entries and lines to be sure. Robert E. Lee probably goes back to King John. My Lee line may be more humble in origins, ha ha.

Baltimore1937
01-17-2016, 09:59 AM
It goes from the ridiculous to the sublime! I deleted that King John line (I'm still connected to him elsewhere), and settled on what I thought was more logical. Then I followed a female offshoot (Mary Hart) on back, and got lost in the ancient kings of Ireland. At first it was all about Suffolk, England. And I was thinking Angles (Danes). Then it jumped over to Ireland, with dates that conflict, etc. How am I to believe that stuff? I stopped at King Nial O'Hart (died 1129).

Baltimore1937
01-21-2016, 07:46 PM
Well, just forget what I said. There are just too many conflicting entries and lines to be sure. Robert E. Lee probably goes back to King John. My Lee line may be more humble in origins, ha ha.

I can't seem to connect to Robert E. Lee via my Lee line, although it may be possible many centuries ago. But He is definitely descended from King John. It looks like I am connected to Robert later via another line (Giffard & Clifford in 1200s). But I haven't tied that together; just browsing.

Blitz
02-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Related to British nobility - both genealogy (and even some genetic testing) from my mother's mother's side. Far closer than you'd expect, but I'm not crashing any gates. I have met the Queen though, as in face to face not some media circus, and my grandmother had a good rapport with Princess Margaret when alive. My father's side likewise has ties to nobility [they were royalty in their own right centuries ago] back and forth through the generations but nothing within the last 100-200 odd years so... but the closest would be the Bourbon family. ....

The is actually a lot of research. I didn't do it myself, but this is a collection of research over more than a few generations ["paper trail"] and not just by the family but outside scholars. I know that actual DNA testing can throw a monkey wrench or two but if we let DNA claims run roughshod than most royalty probably shouldn't be sitting where it does.

Related, through my mother's father's side, to a famous actress. It was so bizarre when partaking at the local theatre, as a number of my family members are in theatre & I have done acting myself, that an actress with many years of experience came up and commented on how I so reminded her of this woman. I didn't want any special treatment otherwise I would have said yes I suppose I would seeing as she is my mother's older 2nd cousin.

Related, through father's father's side, to a famous medical researcher from years ago. He'd be my great-granduncle twice removed.

Related, through another branch of father's father side, to a guy that isn't quite famous but well respected in his particular field.

Blitz
02-06-2016, 12:00 PM
Related to British nobility - both genealogy (and even some genetic testing) from my mother's mother's side. Far closer than you'd expect, but I'm not crashing any gates. I have met the Queen though, as in face to face not some media circus, and my grandmother had a good rapport with Princess Margaret when alive. My father's side likewise has ties to nobility [they were royalty in their own right centuries ago] back and forth through the generations but nothing within the last 100-200 odd years so... but the closest would be the Bourbon family. ....

The is actually a lot of research. I didn't do it myself, but this is a collection of research over more than a few generations ["paper trail"] and not just by the family but outside scholars. I know that actual DNA testing can throw a monkey wrench or two but if we let DNA claims run roughshod than most royalty probably shouldn't be sitting where it does.

Related, through my mother's father's side, to a famous actress. It was so bizarre when partaking at the local theatre, as a number of my family members are in theatre & I have done acting myself, that an actress with many years of experience came up and commented on how I so reminded her of this woman. I didn't want any special treatment otherwise I would have said yes I suppose I would seeing as she is my mother's older 2nd cousin.

Related, through father's father's side, to a famous medical researcher from years ago. He'd be my great-granduncle twice removed.

Related, through another branch of father's father side, to a guy that isn't quite famous but well respected in his particular field.

Forgot to add - number of singers/musicians [two cousins, one uncle is a music video producer / record producer of 20+ years] and actors / actresses [movie & theatre] in the family. Famous and infamous alike. Mostly mum's side, anything not with her mother [which is more upper middle - upper class - nobility]. Dad's side - a poet / song writer known in his music genre. The two cousins.

Titane
02-10-2016, 08:44 PM
Celine Dion- Madonna and Camilla...
http://metro.co.uk/2008/04/16/madonna-camilla-and-celine-dion-are-cousins-99817/ And of course I am as well... Along with at least a few hundred thousands.
If having a statue is important, I am a descendant of the explorer Jean Nicolet (12 generations) through the daughter he had with a Nippissing woman around 1628.

Titane
02-10-2016, 09:13 PM
And I forgot, somebody up there asked about Charlemagne:P.
I am a descendent of Catherine de Baillon/Jacques Miville Deschênes and you can see in this link how her ancestry links back : http://habitant.org/baillon/

However I am also the descendent of several French Huguenots fleeing persecution, deported Acadians, one who was accused of being a spy, and finally a Mathurin, no family name, who declared at his marriage being from unknown parents.

Baltimore1937
02-11-2016, 03:15 AM
I have a Marie Noailles d'Ayen in my tree. She married a David Lee back in the 1700s. If I finally have the correct Lee line identified as belonging in my tree (maternal side), then I have this French woman as an ancestress. Not a lot of information about her, though. It mostly comes from a commentary page that I found online and added it to my Ancestry.com tree(s). Accordingly, she was a cousin of the famous Marquis (forgot his first name) de La Fayette. Or rather, related to his wife. She was Catholic, but married a Methodist (Lee).

p.s. There are two obvious mistakes in that commentary page. But it makes for interesting reading anyway. Her birth year is way wrong. And the reference to Washington D.C. is wrong, as it didn't exist yet prior to the Revolutionary War.

P.P.s. After thinking about it some more, Marie and her sister Kate must have been aunts to the wife of Lafayette. And they came over just after the French & Indian War ended (Seven Years War). Lafayette himself was just a child then. That commentary, which was a quote from an old lady (some sort of descendant relative), was somewhat embellished. It looks like their parents had died, and the son remained in France and had at least one daughter (wife of Lafayette).

Baltimore1937
02-14-2016, 12:38 AM
I have a Marie Noailles d'Ayen in my tree. She married a David Lee back in the 1700s. If I finally have the correct Lee line identified as belonging in my tree (maternal side), then I have this French woman as an ancestress. Not a lot of information about her, though. It mostly comes from a commentary page that I found online and added it to my Ancestry.com tree(s). Accordingly, she was a cousin of the famous Marquis (forgot his first name) de La Fayette. Or rather, related to his wife. She was Catholic, but married a Methodist (Lee).

p.s. There are two obvious mistakes in that commentary page. But it makes for interesting reading anyway. Her birth year is way wrong. And the reference to Washington D.C. is wrong, as it didn't exist yet prior to the Revolutionary War.

P.P.s. After thinking about it some more, Marie and her sister Kate must have been aunts to the wife of Lafayette. And they came over just after the French & Indian War ended (Seven Years War). Lafayette himself was just a child then. That commentary, which was a quote from an old lady (some sort of descendant relative), was somewhat embellished. It looks like their parents had died, and the son remained in France and had at least one daughter (wife of Lafayette).

p.p.p.s. This does not compute with Wiki/Google sources. So Marie and her sister were then some kind of cousinage to Lafayette's wife, with the same last name (Noailles).

Baltimore1937
02-22-2016, 06:53 AM
Pushing back a bit further along one of my maternal branches, I bumped into the Forbes surname in Scotland. How come I'm so poor, when I have all those various famous lines?

ffoucart
02-22-2016, 10:36 AM
Gerard Mulliez, founder of Groupe Auchan, is 6 times a 6th cousin once removed of my paternal grandmother, through his mother, with many other links (his father was a 7th, an 8th cousin....). The same can be said of his mother.

I'm a distant descendant of the Mulliez by one of my ancestor living around 1600.

I'm related to many industrial families of Lille, Boulogne and around, and I'm not really interested in famous people.

I may be related to the new Miss France, Iris Mittenaere, as she is originated from Halluin, and her mother has the same name of one of my ancestors (living in the late XVIIIth century).

I'm also distantly related to Frederic Sauvage (an inventor), Alexis Hallette (French manufacturer of locomotives), ....

Through a noble ancestor (four times), married to a lawyer in 1690, I'm related to Claude de Villars, Marshal General of France, prince of Martigues, duke of Villars, writer (his famous memoirs). She was her 4th or 5th cousin, if I remember correctly, through the Gayant family of Lyon.

I'm also a descendant of the poet Pons de Chapteuil, and the Keeper of the Seals and more or less Prime Minister Pierre Flote (died at Kortrijk in 1302).

PS I am also the descendant of the 1st cousin and homonym of Jacques Oudart Fourmentin alias "baron Bucaille", a corsair, knighted by Napoleon, and the descendant of the great nephew homonym if Jean Antoine Enjolras aka "Bergeyre", the "last assassinated" of the "Auberge Rouge de Peyrebeille" (story adaptated in romans, pieces of theater, movies...).

Baltimore1937
02-24-2016, 04:59 PM
Pushing back a bit further along one of my maternal branches, I bumped into the Forbes surname in Scotland. How come I'm so poor, when I have all those various famous lines?

That branch with Forbes, I now see, also has the surnames Douglas and Stewart. And it connects to the Bruce line for a second route to there. It connects to Marjorie Bruce (1296-1316), daughter of Robert the Bruce (King of Scotland). This branch goes back from the second wife (my ancestress) of the second colonial governor of Maryland. My other line going back to the Bruce line stems from the wife of a down stream male descendant of the governor.

Rafal78
02-24-2016, 09:56 PM
Yes. The question is “where” & “when” would you like me to start?

Through my father’s mother’s side I am a direct descendent of one of the last surviving members (I bear remarkable physical resemblance to the relation - being tall, fair skinned, blonde and blue eyed (there are only three other adult blondes among my immediate - as in cousins - family and none from my mother's side) - and yes, am acknowledged as being family) of the House of Orleans, through the House of Conde & the House of Bourbon, through the Valois House and the Capet House. My great-great-great and so forth relative was Hugh Capet himself through his descendent, Louis VI the Fat. My great-great-great-great and so forth grandfather was once known as Pepin the Younger, son of Charles Martel, of 751AD King of the Franks as well as Louis IV, likewise King of the Franks. Louis II, king of the Roman Empire through his daughter.

Some of my direct relatives or they themselves were full siblings of include: Louis I, the Pious; Charles III, the Fat; the niece & father of Pope Callixtus II, and the 2nd cousin of Godfrey de Saint Omer whom many claim was one of the founders of the Knights Templers.

Those are just the basic summaries. I am currently on my laptop, and have limited access to the online tree, but there is more.

My oldest acknowledged relative right now, though I have yet to go through all of the research into the family, is Adalrich (or Eticho), duke of Alsace as my 42nd generation great-grandparent. My great-great-great and so forth grandfather worked with Champlain; was actually, according to historical books, handpicked by Champlain for a specific task in the New world.

My family on that side is cram packed with big name nobility, smaller cadet houses, as well as the half siblings or younger siblings of famous individuals. This is not just my research; this is years of research by my father & an uncle as well. This has been verified through books, historical records, and Church records. And where possible, DNA.

That is my father’s mother’s side alone.

My father’s father’s side is more diverse - soldiers & officers, mentioned during the Boer and WWI, as well as a well known researcher. Scholars mostly, some famous and some not. A distant relative would have been either Alan the Black himself or his son, however, my forefather would have been more like a cousin than a direct descendent.

My mother’s mother’s side is well known. Very wealthy during the 1500s, during the 1600s-1700s they were some of the 2nd and 3rd sons that came to what was the new world to try and establish themselves. They likewise did very well here. My mother's father's father was a very well respected engineer and his parents owned, and which my aunt inherited, a large manor house in the Niagara region of Canada and likewise a orchard in NOTL.

However, her mother’s father side is very famous. I won’t use our surname because a number of these famous people died just in the last 50 years… it is alright to claim reclaim to some famous person long dead, but different of recent deaths.

On this side though one was a very famous author during the American Revolution, direct descendent of, my great grand-aunt [whom many comment my sister is a mirror image of] was a rather famous actress. My great-forefather form this side was one of the original settlers to Plymouth Colony. And like my grandfather, a rather known portrait painter born of upper class society, I too am very good at painting. And a few others – some I can’t identify even without surname because if you know whom they are related to [the great-grandparent of a very very famous individual – someone everyone should know] figuring out 2 + 2 should be as easy as baking a cake.

ffoucart
02-25-2016, 01:15 AM
Through my father’s mother’s side I am a direct descendent of one of the last surviving members (with whom I share the same physical appearance - fair haired, blue eyed, and tall of their cousin - and yes, am acknowledged as being family) of the House of Orleans, through the House of Conde & the House of Bourbon, through the Valois House and the Capet House. My great-great-great and so forth relative was Hugh Capet himself through his descendent, Louis VI the Fat. My great-great-great-great and so forth grandfather was once known as Pepin the Younger, son of Charles Martel, of 751AD King of the Franks as well as Louis IV, likewise King of the Franks. Louis II, king of the Roman Empire through his daughter.

Some of my direct relatives or they themselves were full siblings of include: Louis I, the Pious; Charles III, the Fat; the niece & father of Pope Callixtus II, and the 2nd cousin of Godfrey de Saint Omer whom many claim was one of the founders of the Knights Templers.

My oldest acknowledged relative right now, though I have yet to go through all of the research into the family, is Adalrich (or Eticho), duke of Alsace as my 42nd generation great-grandparent.

My great-great-great and so forth grandfather worked with Champlain; was actually, according to historical books, handpicked by Champlain for a specific task in the New world.

It is interesting, but can you be more specific?

Because, everybody of European descent is a relative of the Capetians, the Carolingians or of the Duke Eticho of Alsace (in fact, nearly every European has Charlemagne as ancestor, and Hugues Capet as well, most of the time through Louis VI the Fat). In fact, it's extremely common to have Louis VI in your tree (Louis VII is another matter, and Louis IX a complete another matter, far more rare, if not exceptionnal).

And to my knowledge the House of Orleans has many descendants living today, so what's the reference to "one of the last surviving members"?

And I didn't know that they were "fair haired, blue eyed, and tall of their cousin". To whom are you referring to? I don't get it. Anyway, phenotype has little to do with relativeness or ancestry.

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is Alan the Black? The count of Richmond?

Since you are not prone at giving names (frankly, if I understand about living people or recent deaths (and agree), "a very famous author during the American Revolution" could be named, as being long dead and not necessarily known outside the US).

But thank you anyway.

Rafal78
02-25-2016, 02:09 AM
It is interesting, but can you be more specific?

Because, everybody of European descent is a relative of the Capetians, the Carolingians or of the Duke Eticho of Alsace (in fact, nearly every European has Charlemagne as ancestor, and Hugues Capet as well, most of the time through Louis VI the Fat). In fact, it's extremely common to have Louis VI in your tree (Louis VII is another matter, and Louis IX a complete another matter, far more rare, if not exceptionnal).

And to my knowledge the House of Orleans has many descendants living today, so what's the reference to "one of the last surviving members"?

And I didn't know that they were "fair haired, blue eyed, and tall of their cousin". To whom are you referring to? I don't get it. Anyway, phenotype has little to do with relativeness or ancestry.

Please excuse my ignorance, but who is Alan the Black? The count of Richmond?

Since you are not prone at giving names (frankly, if I understand about living people or recent deaths (and agree), "a very famous author during the American Revolution" could be named, as being long dead and not necessarily known outside the US).

But thank you anyway.

Would you like the entire family tree. 42 generations of research, traced through the Church records. The people you mention because everyone and their mother claims to have royal blood - when in all actuality they were as related to these nobility through their stable hands, soldiers, and other such rabble.

If the chamber girl possessed the same haplogroup of Anne Boleyn for example, everyone with the same haplogroup will claim they are a descendant of Anne Boleyn when without pedigreed proof to back that they are nothing more than chamber girl children fathered by the stable hand. Because guess what, most royals had the same haplogroup as their followers.

You mention that these are common "names" and yet, if you bothered looking most pedigrees, they are mentioned among certain families and certain families alone. Jack Dick on the side of the corner wouldn't be claiming them. The irony is that on sites where one can share pedigrees, those "common" names barely show up. So your claims are DNA based and utterly irrelevant.

Just people foolishly thinking they have noble blood when their "noble" blood is no more than the local soldiers. The fact that you use the word every European means DNA, so again irrelevant as your noble blood is just soldiers, stable hands and other low class rabble.

As for me proving myself to you, I would be related to Louis VII through his son, Phillip II, through his first wife one side of my father's mother's family and then reintroduced years later through a cousin from the children of his third wife. I can trace my lineage all the way back to the 400s, can you claim the same? Or 2nd century on my father's father's side - by pedigree AND DNA. Can you claim the same. Highly unlikely.

Like I said, DNA claims are useless without pedigree proof. Because as said, every one nut job rambling the streets most likely had the same haplogroup as the nobility - particularly in areas where the nobility was generational. I'll make it simple Phillip II has X haplogroup, his great-great grandson has X haplogroup; and 80% of the male population has X haplogroup. Not because Phillip II was fking everything breathing, but because haplogroups expand as per the dominance of a population. Why do you think we can barely find the original Basque haplogroup - they were "losers" and their halogroup widely eradicated.

As for the House of Orleans, you are wrong. That is the house of Harcourt, their cousins. It is like Tutors claiming they are King Richard's children when they are related by the vaguest of genes.

Phenotype - the fact that you know little of what I am talking about, well, makes me explaining it to you irrelevant. Try google, you may learn something.

Famous author during the Revolution, well seeing as the surname hasn't changed in spelling from then to now and that is my surname... thus the fact that the author isn't named.

ffoucart
02-25-2016, 03:06 AM
So your claims are DNA based and utterly irrelevant.

No, on genealogy. On my personnal work on various papers, like marriage contracts, last will, old charters and so on.

The fact that you use the word every European means DNA, so again irrelevant as your noble blood is just soldiers, stable hands and other low class rabble.

No. On statistics. Charlemagne is more or less the grandfather of Europe, even if we don't share his genes, because, statiscally, the contrary is impossible.

When you look at geneological works, it is extremely clear, as the more you climb your tree, the more likely you will have some noble branch, and the more likely you will have a line to Charlemagne.

As for me proving myself to you, I would be related to Louis VII through his son, Phillip II, through his first wife one side of my father's mother's family and then reintroduced years later through a cousin from the children of his third wife. I can trace my lineage all the way back to the 400s, can you claim the same? Or 2nd century on my father's father's side - by pedigree AND DNA. Can you claim the same. Highly unlikely.

Yes, to Louis VII in fact. The line is by the Counts of Champagne, the Counts of Bourgogne, the Counts of Valentinois, the Adhemars (branch of La Garde, co lords of Montélimar), Beziers de Venejean, Laudun, Astards, Chambon de Larnas.....

Perhaps another line through the Counts of Flanders, Fiennes, Bournonville, Blaisel..... But I'm not sure yet.

I'm also still trying to know if I'm a descendant of Louis XI through his legitimized bastard daughter, Jeanne, married to louis de Bourbon-Roussillon, by the Arpajon, and by the Belvezet. Many people from Langogne (Lozère) and around are his descendants through this line. It is extremely common there.

Why do you think we can barely find the original Basque haplogroup - they were "losers" and their halogroup widely eradicated.

I think you are referring to a theory about the Basques as the first Europeans.

Completely false, as proven by DNA.

Basques are an isolated population, but I don't think that their "haplogroup" has been "eradicated". In fact, I don't even know which haplogroup you are refering to (Y, Mt, Autosomal?).

As for the House of Orleans, you are wrong. That is the house of Harcourt, their cousins. It is like Tutors claiming they are King Richard's children when they are related by the vaguest of genes.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand: are you a descendant of the Capetian House of Orleans (which one? All of them still have many descendants), or of the House of Harcourt (which has many living descendants today)? You are not clear.

Phenotype - the fact that you know little of what I am talking about, well, makes me explaining it to you irrelevant. Try google, you may learn something.

Perhaps you need to look at how genes are inherited? It could put crystal clear to you that phenotype and relativeness are different matters (even if connected). But you can share ancestry with somebody without sharing genes, and you can have the same phenotype without sharing recent ancestry.

By the way, don't be aggressive. It's useless and ridiculous.

Famous author during the Revolution, well seeing as the surname hasn't changed in spelling from then to now and that is my surname... thus the fact that the author isn't named.
ok. no problem.

C J Wyatt III
02-25-2016, 06:18 AM
I've been letting this thread pass me by, thinking that I had nothing to add. Then it just dawned on me that one of my grandfathers might be a good candidate. My maternal grandfather (my Canadian side) was biochemist J. B. Collip, one of the team of four people credited with the development of Insulin. He purified the hormone extract for the first dose of Insulin to be successfully administered to a human.

Jack

Baltimore1937
02-25-2016, 05:42 PM
Fiennes? As in counts of Flanders? I have a string of that surname in England (maternal side). But I didn't try to follow it back beyond my direct involvement. Maybe I'll poke around sometime and see whether or not I can trace it back to the continent.

psaglav
02-25-2016, 05:57 PM
Would you like the entire family tree. 42 generations of research, traced through the Church records. The people you mention because everyone and their mother claims to have royal blood - when in all actuality they were as related to these nobility through their stable hands, soldiers, and other such rabble.

If the chamber girl possessed the same haplogroup of Anne Boleyn for example, everyone with the same haplogroup will claim they are a descendant of Anne Boleyn when without pedigreed proof to back that they are nothing more than chamber girl children fathered by the stable hand. Because guess what, most royals had the same haplogroup as their followers.

I thought we were beyond such things in the 21st century, and in the United States of America, no less. "Rabble"? Really?

psaglav
02-25-2016, 06:01 PM
My mom's cousin is related to Mehmed Pasha Sokolovic (this guy: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokollu_Mehmed_Pasha), he's actually the direct descendant of the male line and is in control of the vaqf in his name and some other foundations (though not that much is left of it). We're only related by marriage, though, so I'm not related to Sokollu. It's funny, because I certainly wouldn't envisage my cousin as a grand vizier descendant material. :) He has an IT company.

ffoucart
02-26-2016, 01:20 AM
Fiennes? As in counts of Flanders? I have a string of that surname in England (maternal side). But I didn't try to follow it back beyond my direct involvement. Maybe I'll poke around sometime and see whether or not I can trace it back to the continent.

Gui de Dampierre, count of Flanders, was the grandson of Marie de Champagne, grand daughter of Louis VII.
Gui fathered (among others) Elisabeth/Isabelle married to Jean, lord of Fiennes, parents of Mahaut de Fiennes married to Jean de Bournonville.
The Bournonville posterity was numerous (you can read "Enguerrand de Bournonville et les siens" by Bernard Schnerb, Presses de la Sorbonne).
Jean du Blaisel, lord of the same place, married Marie de Bournonville around 1470, with numerous posterity.

Neacal
02-26-2016, 03:03 AM
I'm descended from quite a few interesting figures from British history - no movie stars or real celebrities though :)

Baltimore1937
02-26-2016, 04:35 AM
Gui de Dampierre, count of Flanders, was the grandson of Marie de Champagne, grand daughter of Louis VII.
Gui fathered (among others) Elisabeth/Isabelle married to Jean, lord of Fiennes, parents of Mahaut de Fiennes married to Jean de Bournonville.
The Bournonville posterity was numerous (you can read "Enguerrand de Bournonville et les siens" by Bernard Schnerb, Presses de la Sorbonne).
Jean du Blaisel, lord of the same place, married Marie de Bournonville around 1470, with numerous posterity.

I'm rather superficial about all of this. Anyway, I have 9 people with the surname Fiennes on my tree, birth years ranging from 1331 to 1540. It was a Baronage based in Hurstmonceux (spelling?), Sussex, England. There are lines from that branch going back to Neville, Beauchamp, Bruce (Scotland), and to King John Plantagenet.

ffoucart
02-26-2016, 07:21 AM
I'm rather superficial about all of this. Anyway, I have 9 people with the surname Fiennes on my tree, birth years ranging from 1331 to 1540. It was a Baronage based in Hurstmonceux (spelling?), Sussex, England. There are lines from that branch going back to Neville, Beauchamp, Bruce (Scotland), and to King John Plantagenet.

Sceptical?

The Fiennes I was talking about were from the Boulonnais, not England.

Oops, it seems that the father of Jean, Guillaume/William owned lands in England (Buckhinghamshire, Wendover, ....).

Baltimore1937
02-26-2016, 09:14 AM
I pushed it back to Enguerrand II (Ingelram) de Fiennes, 1192, Fiennes, Pas-de-Calais to 1267, Conde, Calvados, Basse-Normandie. But there is conflicting information along the way. So out could end up being changed. His wife, Isabelle "Maude" de Conde was from Normandy.

ffoucart
02-26-2016, 09:25 AM
I'm not sure that Condé was in Normandy. To me it's Condé sur l'Escaut, in Hainaut.

Baltimore1937
02-26-2016, 09:57 AM
I'm not sure that Condé was in Normandy. To me it's Condé sur l'Escaut, in Hainaut.

Yeah, I'm not sure about Normandy myself. I'll have to do more checking later.

later: Thanks for your Hainaut suggestion. I decided to go that route. Most of the entries at Ancestry give Normandy (2 different Conde locations; Calvados and Manche). Looking a generation or two deeper reveals the Conde-sur-l'Escaut location. But Hainaut, Belgium is not Flanders. So it looks like the Fiennes line can't be considered Flemish. At least his wife's line is not Flemish. Looking at her maternal line, I got back to Marie de Tournai, 1190-1221.

Baltimore1937
02-27-2016, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I'm not sure about Normandy myself. I'll have to do more checking later.

later: Thanks for your Hainaut suggestion. I decided to go that route. Most of the entries at Ancestry give Normandy (2 different Conde locations; Calvados and Manche). Looking a generation or two deeper reveals the Conde-sur-l'Escaut location. But Hainaut, Belgium is not Flanders. So it looks like the Fiennes line can't be considered Flemish. At least his wife's line is not Flemish. Looking at her maternal line, I got back to Marie de Tournai, 1190-1221.

I pushed Marie back to a princess of Lorraine! And peeking further, it gets into royals, et al.

Piquerobi
02-27-2016, 01:02 PM
The closest is a cousin of my maternal grandmother, Carlos Drummond de Andrade, a poet from Brazil:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Drummond_de_Andrade

https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carlos_Drummond_de_Andrade

botoole60611
02-27-2016, 04:59 PM
I always find these posts enjoyable, expecially since I grew up adopted and then found my family.

My family lines are heavily NE Colonial and some Acadian, so I seem to be related to a lot of folks. Unfortunately, my Mayflower lines got pruned off when I discovered (via DNA) that my paternal grandmother had my birth father from someone other than her husband.

Relatives -

Obama, at 10th cousin, via Susanna Hawkes
FDR via Phillippe Delano
The Bush family - something like 11th cousins. Forget where that common ancestor popped up.

Sarah Jessica Parker has one of my 10th GGM's, Esther Dutch, as hers as well. There was a 'Who Do You Think You Are' (or something like that), and the 'shocking' revelation that one of her GGM's was a Gloucester (not Salem) witch. I actually have a total of 3 witches, although the Bradbury was the sister of a GGM.

The coolest famous DNA relative I found was Joanna Lumley, former Bond girl and Patsy from Absolutely Fabulous.

And then there are the royals, but mostly Plantagenets and Capets.

As far as Charlemagne, I read once that 20% of all Western Europeans are descended from him.

Baltimore1937
02-29-2016, 08:27 PM
I pushed Marie back to a princess of Lorraine! And peeking further, it gets into royals, et al.

Well, she wasn't a princess. What do you call a daughter of a Duke? Anyway, a male in her line (daddy?, or ?; I have it in my tree), was Theodoric "The Valiant", Duke of Lorraine and Alsace 1044-1115 or something like that. He is placed in the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine, when you look at the Wikipedia on pretenders to European thrones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_pretenders

Baltimore1937
03-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Well, she wasn't a princess. What do you call a daughter of a Duke? Anyway, a male in her line (daddy?, or ?; I have it in my tree), was Theodoric "The Valiant", Duke of Lorraine and Alsace 1044-1115 or something like that. He is placed in the House of Hapsburg-Lorraine, when you look at the Wikipedia on pretenders to European thrones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_pretenders

I'm not entirely satisfied that this daughter-of-a-duke belongs in my tree. The majority of entries, of course, want that in their trees. But a few are cautious and say unknown spouse (of Lambert Montaigu), while another gives a couple of possible alternates (along with her). Whoever it was, she was probably high-born.

psaglav
03-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Daughter of a Duke is Lady Firstname; she can be a princess depending on the Duke's position, but not nexessarily. Example: Duke of York's daughters are princesses but that's because the current duke is a prince himself (Charles' younger brother.)

p.s. I'm talking about the British custom, however.

ffoucart
03-01-2016, 10:28 AM
Are you referring to the daughter of Henri of Louvain, duke of Lothier (Lower Lorraine)?

She has nothing to do with Thierry of Alsace, duke of (High) Lorraine, except he was the second husband of her mother.

You could read the Flemish Nobility before 1300 by Ernest Warlop. Some errors, but a very good basis.

Baltimore1937
03-01-2016, 05:45 PM
Are you referring to the daughter of Henri of Louvain, duke of Lothier (Lower Lorraine)?

She has nothing to do with Thierry of Alsace, duke of (High) Lorraine, except he was the second husband of her mother.

You could read the Flemish Nobility before 1300 by Ernest Warlop. Some errors, but a very good basis.

When I followed along with Ancestry entries, it looked straight forward. Then I started looking around and deeper, when it all doesn't look so straight forward anymore. Ha ha!

This is what I traced back to the continent following the Fiennes male line back to Enguerrand/Ingelram de Fiennes, 1192-1267, born in Fiennes, Pas-de Calais, France. From there (his wife) I followed female offshoots back to Marie de Tournai, 1185-1227 in Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium. Going back further, I came to Lambert Montaigu, 1105-1147, Aisne, Picardie. All these dates are not precise. The female in question is his wife: Petronelle Gertrude de Oberlothringen, Haute Lorraine, 1086-1144. She was a daughter of Theodoric "The Valiant" de Ardennes-Metz, Duke of Lorraine and Alsace. But I may have gone off on a wrong line along the way. Lambert was her second husband; her first being Floris "The Fat" de Holland of the Netherlands, 1085-1122. But did she really ever have a second husband?

That daughter of Henry of Louvain was one of the alternates given.

castle3
03-02-2016, 10:32 AM
When I followed along with Ancestry entries, it looked straight forward. Then I started looking around and deeper, when it all doesn't look so straight forward anymore. Ha ha!

This is what I traced back to the continent following the Fiennes male line back to Enguerrand/Ingelram de Fiennes, 1192-1267, born in Fiennes, Pas-de Calais, France. From there (his wife) I followed female offshoots back to Marie de Tournai, 1185-1227 in Tournai, Hainaut, Belgium. Going back further, I came to Lambert Montaigu, 1105-1147, Aisne, Picardie. All these dates are not precise. The female in question is his wife: Petronelle Gertrude de Oberlothringen, Haute Lorraine, 1086-1144. She was a daughter of Theodoric "The Valiant" de Ardennes-Metz, Duke of Lorraine and Alsace. But I may have gone off on a wrong line along the way. Lambert was her second husband; her first being Floris "The Fat" de Holland of the Netherlands, 1085-1122. But did she really ever have a second husband?

That daughter of Henry of Louvain was one of the alternates given.

I strongly recommend that you take Ancestry entries with a massive dose of salt! Ask these Ancestry posters to supply fully referenced information regarding their claims. If they can't, I'd be very suspicious. By 'fully referenced', I don't mean other unproven internet offerings, or what Great Aunt Nellie told them. You need to see what medieval charters/docs these people can be found in. For example, I might claim that 'Sir Patrick de Ulvesby wed a girl called Johanna in the 13th Century'. That info should then be followed by something along the lines of: 'See: Transactions Cumberland & Westmorland Antiq Soc., Edited by W.G. Collingwood. Published by Titus Wilson, Highgate in 1922. Page 46'. The reader can then look up the ref & see that there is a family tree on that page showing Sir Patrick wed to the lady in question. Even then, I'd suggest finding further evidence.
If, when you challenge people to supply references for their claims and they can't, you'll know to proceed with caution.
Hope this helps! I wish you well in your research.

ffoucart
03-02-2016, 02:40 PM
I'm agree with castle3. Everything must be controlled. Medieval charters or contract are unavoidable to trace back your ancestry.

Cornella
03-23-2016, 10:53 PM
Statistically speaking, definitely. But I made the mistake a few years ago of swallowing up other people's trees that overlapped with my own heritage and assuming they'd really put as much work and thought into the research as I would have. I spent weeks documenting these supposed ancestors of mine, amounting to literally thousands of names, many famous royalty. Eventually, through closer inspection, I found a single dubious logical leap. Just one. But it was so close to the root of my tree that it brought the whole thing down.Thousands of my 'ancestors' suddenly became someone else's. In all likelihood, some of them actually were mine, but I had no proof. Being more humble and painstakingly doing my own documentation, my tree has nobody famous anymore, but it is much more sturdy.

People are obviously biased in favor of interesting ancestry, famous ancestry, or just continuing an ancestral line for which there's little information, so sadly, many are pretty lax with the evidence required.

Lirio100
03-23-2016, 11:54 PM
People are obviously biased in favor of interesting ancestry, famous ancestry, or just continuing an ancestral line for which there's little information, so sadly, many are pretty lax with the evidence required.

I have one line that disappears into the genealogical black hole of New York state; it is not only difficult to find documentation but there's duplication of names. It looks like people are simply swapping trees back and forth. On the other hand, there's one tree that's attached my 2x great grandparents to a prince, as far as I can tell just because the surnames are similar.

Cornella
03-24-2016, 12:04 AM
I have one line that disappears into the genealogical black hole of New York state; it is not only difficult to find documentation but there's duplication of names. It looks like people are simply swapping trees back and forth. On the other hand, there's one tree that's attached my 2x great grandparents to a prince, as far as I can tell just because the surnames are similar.

Yes, sometimes it looks as though there's, say, eight independent identifications of the same ancestor, but when you inspect more closely, you can tell all are just copies of one another. I've even seen about ten people all copy the same obvious mistake (such as the person was born in 1843, but died in 1678). I do have some verified links to rare names shared with reasonably interesting characters. William Wilberforce might be a relative of mine, but he's definitely not my ancestor.

Baltimore1937
03-24-2016, 12:51 AM
My main tree is always subject to revision. But generalities and moralizations by holier-than-thous don't suade me. It's also a matter of social class. Lower class lines usually quickly come to dead ends. But if you start with a higher social class, you can sometimes go back to Adam and Eve, ha ha. Most of my seemingly outrageous claims stem from high class Marylanders (Calverts and their associates). As for an unrelated line supposedly going back to Niall of Nine Hostages, I decided to erase that and pull it back to around 1200 C.E., at least until I find some more corroborating evidence. Then there is a Swedish-Prussian line that that I've seen a claim going back to the Fraankish conquest of France. But I may not push it back that far.

later: I almost forgot a colorful character in one of my lines, known by the name of "Skullsplitter". But he was a direct male ancestor of Robert Bruce, King of Scotland. This assumes a Norse ancestry for the Bruce line, and not a Flemish one.

Cornella
03-24-2016, 01:07 AM
My main tree is always subject to revision. But generalities and moralizations by holier-than-thous don't suade me. It's also a matter of social class. Lower class lines usually quickly come to dead ends. But if you start with a higher social class, you can sometimes go back to Adam and Eve, ha ha. Most of my seemingly outrageous claims stem from high class Marylanders (Calverts and their associates). As for an unrelated line supposedly going back to Niall of Nine Hostages, I decided to erase that and pull it back to around 1200 C.E., at least until I find some more corroborating evidence. Then there is a Swedish-Prussian line that that I've seen a claim going back to the Fraankish conquest of France. But I may not push it back that far.

One of my more ridiculous (and time-consuming) lines basically reached back to kings of Troy in the years before Christ. There was literally a connected chain of people starting with me and stretching back over 2000 years. I can only cringe at the number of wrong assumptions people made along the way. It was an interesting history lesson, though.

Anath
03-24-2016, 04:24 AM
I'm only going to bother writing people no older than 1600, otherwise my list would be long and stupid..

MATERNAL
Baden-Powell Annand (Australian St. Kilda Footballer in the 1960's, his my grandpas cousin)
William Dade 1740–1790 - English cleric and antiquary
Sir John King, 1st Baron Kingston (died 1676) - Soldier during the Wars of the Three Kingdoms

PATERNAL
Hendricus Joannes Petrus Hanau - A Dutch Painter '' 1830-1900
Theodor von Holst - A British painter (i'm descended of his brother) 1810-1844
Jean Gaspard Weiss - Classical Composer from Alsace 1739-1815
Tzvi Ashkenazi - Rabbi of Moravia 1656-1718
Jonathan Eybeschutz - Rabbi of Krakow 1690-1764

Baltimore1937
03-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Well, to explain a bit about that Swedish-Prussian line, the surname was Springer. Prussian barons, etc, took Upper Silesia away from Austria-Hungary. And a Springer was one of them. The male line looks solid, but the females along the way are variously vague. One wife's surname was Kolinski, so that could indicate a pitch of Slavic DNA. Going way back before that era ends up at a younger son of Louis IV (Carolingian). That was Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine. However, some old trees show the father of Charles as a count of Brittany. But I am still connected, as that Breton tie was also connected to the Bruce line prior to the Norman conquest. Jumping to the American colonial entrance, Carl Springer arrived in Delaware in 1693 or so. I connect via a couple generations of females from New Sweden colonials, who everyone knows had Finnish input. Then a Welshman married into that line, and they moved to Indiana via Kentucky, and then eventually to me. By he way, Louis IV married an Anglo-Sxon princess while he lived in exile in England. That was before the Norman conquest.

MitchellSince1893
03-25-2016, 08:03 PM
Well, to explain a bit about that Swedish-Prussian line, the surname was Springer. Prussian barons, etc, took Upper Silesia away from Austria-Hungary. And a Springer was one of them. The male line looks solid, but the females along the way are variously vague. One wife's surname was Kolinski, so that could indicate a pitch of Slavic DNA. Going way back before that era ends up at a younger son of Louis IV (Carolingian). That was Charles, Duke of Lower Lorraine. However, some old trees show the father of Charles as a count of Brittany. But I am still connected, as that Breton tie was also connected to the Bruce line prior to the Norman conquest. Jumping to the American colonial entrance, Carl Springer arrived in Delaware in 1693 or so. I connect via a couple generations of females from New Sweden colonials, who everyone knows had Finnish input. Then a Welshman married into that line, and they moved to Indiana via Kentucky, and then eventually to me. By he way, Louis IV married an Anglo-Sxon princess while he lived in exile in England. That was before the Norman conquest.

Ironic that you mention this now. Just this past week I think I've figured out where my mom and my Finnish ancestry on chromosome 1 came from.

My mom and I descend from a Lydia Springer (b. 1743), daughter of Dennis Springer (1712-1760) who was born in Burlington, New Jersey. His father Jacob (1668-1731) was born in Stockholm, Sweden. I believe your Carl is the brother of my Jacob...so that would make us distant (10th or 11th) cousins.

My dad also descends from this line but he doesn't typically show up with significant Finnish ancestry.

I've been doing some research on the Forest Finns in New Sweden. I even requested a new Swedish Finn flag for this site.

Baltimore1937
03-26-2016, 02:32 AM
Ironic that you mention this now. Just this past week I think I've figured out where my mom and my Finnish ancestry on chromosome 1 came from.

My mom and I descend from a Lydia Springer (b. 1743), daughter of Dennis Springer (1712-1760) who was born in Burlington, New Jersey. His father Jacob (1668-1731) was born in Stockholm, Sweden. I believe your Carl is the brother of my Jacob...so that would make us distant (10th or 11th) cousins.

My dad also descends from this line but he doesn't typically show up with significant Finnish ancestry.

I've been doing some research on the Forest Finns in New Sweden. I even requested a new Swedish Finn flag for this site.

My earliest colonial Springer was Carl "Charles" Christopher Springer, born 1658 in Klara Parish, Stockholm, Sweden; died May 1738 in New Castle County, Delaware. I am descended via his daughter, so the Springer surname disappears quickly along my lineage.

Yeah, I see that Jacob was the brother of Carl Springer. I haven't recorded Carl's siblings. Their father had 3 or 4 different wives, their mother being the last; and Jacob being the youngest of them all.

Baltimore1937
03-27-2016, 04:23 AM

I noticed I made a mistake regarding history. It was the father of Louis IV, Charles III "The Simple", who married an Anglo-Saxon princess. Louis IV lived in England with his mother until he was called to ascend the French throne. I notice also I am descended along two different lines from Charles "The Simple". Maybe that's why I'm just a simple guy (smirk).

Baltimore1937
03-27-2016, 11:30 PM
Well, it's quite clear now that this Springer line is a direct descendant of Charlemagne. I'm glad, because my Green connection is rather uninteresting. Anyway, with this Springer line, it looks like Joe Scarborough of "Morning Joe" renown is also connected (a Mississippi connection). Of course, I could be wrong. If so, then the connection was to a younger sister (born in Iowa) of my great-grandmother. A daughter of her's then married a Scarborough in Mississippi.

Stephen1986
03-28-2016, 01:37 AM
I found out a few months ago that, via his mother, I'm a sixth cousin three times removed of Bill Haley.

A Norfolk L-M20
04-01-2016, 12:27 AM
Absolutely no-one famous. Most of mine were English agricultural labourers, wives, mothers, workhouse inmates, illegitimates, pedlars, inn keepers, carpenters, horse-men, marsh-men, prison inmates, or shepherds. The Great Poor.

Not one lord, lady, knight, king, banker, rich merchant, general, or bishop.

Actually that suits me just fine.

Saetro
04-01-2016, 03:25 AM
Not one lord, lady, knight, king, banker, rich merchant, general, or bishop.
Actually that suits me just fine.

Ah, such memories. Last year, when I was (not so) young and free, that was me, too. But then..
One minute I was innocently researching in the late 1700s and the next I found myself at the foot of a pedigree in the Visitations and was dragged back to 1500 and beyond. Now I seem to have more ancestors in the 1300s than in the 1800s.
I need to consider the bedroom habits of even earlier kings - was that child his, or not?
It's such a rich bounty and I'm really not ready for it.
Maybe in a few months' time.

The good thing is that those with land are often well documented.
The flip side of nobility is that some people want to be related to them and make up stories.
But as that is the reason for the Visitations in the first place, maybe I should be grateful.
I will be, when I return.

Claymore2
04-05-2016, 01:41 AM
Yes a few.

Charles Darwin through my mother's mother's mother's side is a relative of sorts. Though more to the point Sir. Francis Sacheverel Darwin would have been my great-great grandmother's 2nd or 3rd uncle. I'd have to dig up the records to give you the exact breakdown.

Another relative, likewise famous for a scientific discovery that changed the world, but I'd prefer to keep his surname private as it is exactly the same as mine and my surname isn't exactly Bates or Jones common.

Not world famous but regional famous my mother's father is the great-grandson of a Knights Templar / Freemasonary

I know there's a few more, more recent people, but right now down & out with the flu - actually called in sick to work, which is a rarity - and I don't have access to any of the family files on this old machine.

icebreaker
04-05-2016, 07:23 PM
The sister of corendon boss is my 4th cousin

:D
Airline boss detained for urinating on Putin's fence near Olympics
Feb. 10, 2014 at 2:27 PM

SOCHI, Russia, Feb. 10 (UPI) -- The head of Corendon Dutch Airlines said he was detained near the Sochi Olympics for urinating on a fence outside President Vladimir Putin's villa.

Airline boss Atilay Uslu said he was out with a friend Sunday night celebrating the Olympic performances of Dutch skaters when he stopped to urinate on a fence and quickly found himself surrounded by about five Russian soldiers, DutchNews.nl reported Monday.

Uslu said the soldiers were talking about a "one way ticket to Siberia and asked me if I had not seen the security cameras or knew that it was Putin's house."

Uslu, whose company sponsors many of the Netherland's skaters in the Olympics, said he was released after about an hour, but he noticed about $1,364 cash was missing from his belongings.

"I don't really feel like trying to get it back," Uslu said.

Claymore2
04-05-2016, 07:43 PM
The sister of corendon boss is my 4th cousin

??? I know he has a sister, so wouldn't that make Atilay likewise your 4th cousin? Or are you talking "sister" by marriage? Sorry, maybe it is cause I am sick, but I read your comment as you're related to a half or adopted sibling of Atilay and hence he is not actually your 4th cousin.

icebreaker
04-05-2016, 07:49 PM
??? I know he has a sister, so wouldn't that make Atilay likewise your 4th cousin? Or are you talking "sister" by marriage? Sorry, maybe it is cause I am sick, but I read your comment as you're related to a half or adopted sibling of Atilay and hence he is not actually your 4th cousin.

You're not sick :)

I was just trying to point out it was his sister who took the test.

Claymore2
04-05-2016, 08:20 PM
You're not sick :)

Well I am sick, got strep throat; but thank goodness it isn't in the head yet.

warwick
04-08-2016, 05:34 AM
I can say one amusing story, is that when my uncle [since retired] met the Russian Secretary of Defense (or equivalent) as part of a US military delegation to meet with their Russian counterparts, the Russian minister asked him, why the US President didn't fire US governors who were doing poorly.

Answer: The US is a democracy.

MikeWhalen
04-08-2016, 12:22 PM
interesting story Warwick!
am I the only one that is disturbed that such a high ranking Russian military/political figure is that clueless as to how the US basically works?

I'm not picking on the Russians btw, too many instances in history (both past and recent) have made it clear that big powers fundamentally not understanding each other were often the root of some serious problems or even war

but damn, thinking the US President can 'fire' the Gov. of a state? yikes

Mike

warwick
04-08-2016, 04:22 PM
interesting story Warwick!
am I the only one that is disturbed that such a high ranking Russian military/political figure is that clueless as to how the US basically works?

I'm not picking on the Russians btw, too many instances in history (both past and recent) have made it clear that big powers fundamentally not understanding each other were often the root of some serious problems or even war

but damn, thinking the US President can 'fire' the Gov. of a state? yikes

Mike

The context was in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. The Russian defense minister asked my uncle why the President didn't just fire the Governor of Louisiana for incompetence and put in someone else. You're right: that type of question reveals a fundamental misunderstanding of the Constitution and the US democratic system.

AJL
04-08-2016, 04:26 PM
Speaking of Russians, my great-grandfather was related by marriage to one of the top Russian diplomatic translators:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viktor_Sukhodrev

warwick
04-08-2016, 04:30 PM
My step-grandfather planned the air cover [as part of a planning committee] for the Bay of Pigs invasion. President Kennedy canceled the air cover and many of the Cubans that we supported died and the invasion failed. Whatever you might think of our policy toward Cuba, Kennedy should never have authorized the attack and then fail to support the Cubans whom we told we would back up.

It was the cancellation, on the eve of the landing, of the crucial air strike that caused the failure of the Bay of Pigs operation. This fact was confirmed by the Group Report that was signed by Gen. Maxwell Taylor.

Of course, I heard this story second hand, and my step-grandfather was definitely not a Kennedy supporter, but there is good evidence that this story is true.

warwick
04-08-2016, 04:56 PM
As another anecdote, the CIA offered him a job in Laos in 1969 to head up a group leading forces against the North Vietnamese. The condition was that the US government would take him off the books, and if he were killed or captured deny any connection between him and this US government.

He said no.

That story I heard directly from him.

Torc Seanathair
04-08-2016, 05:10 PM
I noticed I made a mistake regarding history. It was the father of Louis IV, Charles III "The Simple", who married an Anglo-Saxon princess. Louis IV lived in England with his mother until he was called to ascend the French throne. I notice also I am descended along two different lines from Charles "The Simple". Maybe that's why I'm just a simple guy (smirk).

Have you been watching the recent episodes of "Vikings" on the History Channel? Charles The Simple and his daughter are portrayed in the current story line. Of course, they are taking copious artistic license with the actual history of over a thousand years ago. All of the characters must have their share of "drama".

ffoucart
04-08-2016, 05:36 PM
Have you been watching the recent episodes of "Vikings" on the History Channel? Charles The Simple and his daughter are portrayed in the current story line. Of course, they are taking copious artistic license with the actual history of over a thousand years ago. All of the characters must have their share of "drama".

Charles the Bald, not Charles the Simple (two different kits, and only Charles the Bald was Emperor).
Moreover the Gisele married to Rollo is a legend.
One of his daughter, Judith was married twice in the House of Wessex, before to agree to be kidnapped by Baldwin, the future count in Flanders. Charles send messagers to forbid anyone to give refuge to the couple, notably the Viking Roric. Baldwin answered he will join the Vikings if he was not forgiven.

My research tends to link Baldwin to Saxony (by his mother) with perhaps links to Danish Royal family (the name Theodger is found in both families).

Baltimore1937
04-08-2016, 10:14 PM
It is all so confusing back there. But I could trace 4 or 5 different lines that go back to Charlemagne. One goes back to Lothar, and not Charles the Bald. Mostly I end those lines going back before it results in pedigree collapse. My completely separate Springer male line is definitely German Saxon connected, since that line is ultimately Saxon.

thetick
04-09-2016, 12:50 PM
I'm agree with castle3. Everything must be controlled. Medieval charters or contract are unavoidable to trace back your ancestry.

The sad thing is I was chasing some claimed ancestry and found someone who seriously had his line back to Adam and Eve. It was just completely ridiculous.

C J Wyatt III
04-09-2016, 03:39 PM
The sad thing is I was chasing some claimed ancestry and found someone who seriously had his line back to Adam and Eve. It was just completely ridiculous.

Before I got into genealogy, I had my "Theory of the Bad Seed". What I have seen since then has not changed my mind. Even it the chance of an NPE is only a couple of percent, long lines are very suspect.

Jack

Baltimore1937
04-09-2016, 03:53 PM

No, I haven't seen the Vikings episodes. But the film "Lion in Winter" (Katherine Hepburn) is also related to my tree. That's about Henry II and his wife Eleanor of Aquitaine. I mean, if I am descended from them, so are an awfully lot of you.

Saetro
04-09-2016, 11:52 PM
About 150 years ago one of my ancestors' brothers took up his editor's pen to support local grain growers against a system where US tariffs were high and made it hard to export there, while local low tariffs were little barrier to importation. He and my direct ancestor later extended this to supporting local fledgling industrialists against established British factories. The g3 uncle also went into Parliament to support his electorate and this aspect also.

This man, James Harrison, is remembered mostly for his inventions in refrigeration, especially in France and USA, where a national engineers association has named an award after him. He wasn't nobility, but some of his inventions are still essentially present in the components of a household item I use every day.

He is also remembered by streets named after him in the county of his birth, Scotland, in Canberra, and a bridge in his adopted town, Geelong. And by an entry in the Australian Dictionary of Biography http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/harrison-james-2165

He was born in April 1816, so this month is the 200th anniversary of his birth.

Baltimore1937
04-11-2016, 04:39 AM
An interesting descendant line that I'm assuming led to me was via daughter Eleanor, 1162-1214, who became Queen of Castile and Toledo when she married Alfonso VIII. Downstream a few generations, Jeanne de Beaumont, 1263-1310, married Norville Norton Sr. of Sharpenhoe, Bedfordshire.

Saetro
04-11-2016, 09:03 AM
This man, James Harrison, is remembered mostly for his inventions in refrigeration

He was born in April 1816, so this month is the 200th anniversary of his birth.

And today, coincidentally, came news that the last local (Australian) manufacturer of domestic refrigerators closed its doors.
150 years after Harrison's first UK patent. (#747 of 1856)

AJL
04-11-2016, 06:47 PM
Celine Dion- Madonna and Camilla...

Surely you must be related to Maurice Richard somewhere!

Dante
04-12-2016, 12:01 PM
Through my father's side related to Wolfe Tone, leader of the 1798 Rebellion. Been "rebels" [or at least not sitting quietly putting up with "crap" as relatives have blown the whistle on organizations, including practices by the federal government itself] runs in the family it seems -- another part of that side is likewise descended from Gaspard II de Coligny, Huguenot leader. Through my father's side likewise to Charles Wolfe. Through my father's side to Richard Joyce [creator of the Claddagh Ring] as one of the family members belonging to the fourteen clans dubbed the Tribes of Galway. Through this side also related to a popular singer [my 5th cousin] in his country, whom I will be seeing this summer at a concert then meeting up with for a few days, and another popular singer [dad's 8th cousin] in the US, that ironically mom likes but dad couldn't be bothered about.

Through mom's side related to a spy that was hung by the Americans during the mid 1700s for spying [for the Brits]. According to legend some say, when the body was recovered, that the devil himself appeared as a snake & was after his soul. Take it as you will about the devil but there's claim a big black snake seemed to come from nowhere, slitter under the coffin, and "disappear". Through this side my great & so forth grandmother would have been the great or great-great grandaunt of Carl Gustaf Emil Mannerheim. Related to a number of military - including a well decorated RAF pilot.

Titane
04-13-2016, 07:03 PM
Surely you must be related to Maurice Richard somewhere!

Yes through one of my Acadian lines, but I don't think he was so famous outside of Canada.

Lirio100
04-13-2016, 07:22 PM
If you mean the hockey player he was very famous among families who followed the game!

Titane
04-13-2016, 07:33 PM
If you mean the hockey player he was very famous among families who followed the game!
Ok - add Boston, New-York and Chicago.

PLogan
04-13-2016, 07:57 PM
Jesse Woodson James
3C4R

MikeWhalen
04-13-2016, 08:27 PM
Don't forget Detroit!

The 'Rocket' had some great battles with 'Mr. Hockey'!

Mike

Ok - add Boston, New-York and Chicago.

Dante
04-13-2016, 09:39 PM
Yes through one of my Acadian lines.

Almost everyone with Acadian lineage is pretty much related to him somewhere as long as they're following a correct tree [as there are some fakes out there]. Or for that matter anyone with acknowledged or potential Acadian lineage [Camilla, Madonna, Dion, Degeneres, etc., etc., etc.].

My friend's mother is likewise related to him through Acadian lineage, though potentially a bit closer as her maiden name is Richard. But that's the thing about people with Acadian lineage I've found while helping him do research is that the intermarriage between cousins during the 1600s to about early 1800s [even to some degree 1900s still] was by no means uncommon.

Baltimore1937
04-16-2016, 08:54 AM
An interesting descendant line that I'm assuming led to me was via daughter Eleanor, 1162-1214, who became Queen of Castile and Toledo when she married Alfonso VIII. Downstream a few generations, Jeanne de Beaumont, 1263-1310, married Norville Norton Sr. of Sharpenhoe, Bedfordshire.

I noticed when I looked again at my Alfonso VIII connection, that I am descended from two different daughters that connect downstream a few generations later. Shouldn't I be receiving a royal allowance to my bank account for all my royal ties (ha ha!)?

Huntergatherer1066
04-17-2016, 08:57 PM
I'm a co-administrator of the Richards Surname Project, which covers Richard as well, feel free to encourage any Maurice Richard descendants to join :) According to Wikipedia he had 14 grandchildren. We do have a handful of Richard members, a mixture of French, English, and Anglicized Germans.

Baltimore1937
04-18-2016, 10:08 AM
I was poking around for another line, just in case my Green-Norton line wasn't valid. There seems to be disagreement about an NPE event back there. So I found a more secure line that turns into the Mortimer line. It criss-crosses other lines in my tree, and would render my tree a tangled mess if I were to include all of it. Anyway, peeking on back along the Mortimer line (without transcribing it, at least for now), it apparently goes back to Clovis and the Merovingian Franks. Whew!

sparkey
04-18-2016, 06:35 PM
I'm a co-administrator of the Richards Surname Project, which covers Richard as well, feel free to encourage any Maurice Richard descendants to join :) According to Wikipedia he had 14 grandchildren. We do have a handful of Richard members, a mixture of French, English, and Anglicized Germans.

Maybe not as cool as Maurice Richard, but: I'm related to an I1 Richards on ysearch -- KFNZU (http://www.ysearch.org/lastname_view.asp?uid=&viewuid=KFNZU). Dirk Kempthorne is another known descendant of that Richards family (recall I mentioned him as a relative of mine back on page 2).

Anath
04-23-2016, 01:17 AM
I've read that all Europeans are roughly 34th cousins to one another, due to the black death event, everyone would share a common ancestor at least to one another after that time, so the possibility of one having a famous ancestor prior to 1400 is the case especially.

And i forgot to add to my known ancestor list, i also descend from Francisca Nuñez de Carabajal, a Spanish-Mexican woman burned at the stake for being a 'converso' during the Spanish Inquisition, i descend from her son Baltasar who escaped with his life back to Europe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Francisca_Nu%C3%B1ez_de_Carabajal

Baltimore1937
04-24-2016, 03:31 AM
Anyone tried to trace Llewelyn ap Iorwerth, 1174-1240, of Wales? I had him in my tree back when I thought I was connected by his last wife Joan Plantagenet, illegitimate daughter of King John. Then I erased that branch. Now I see I am connected by one of his daughters, Gwladys verch Iorwerth 1194-1251. She married a Mortimer, which line I recently discovered. Llewelyn's paternal line gets vague in no time. I tentatively got it back to around 800 C.E./A.D. Most of the earliest info is from Wikipedia, and not Ancestry.

Kale
04-24-2016, 05:12 PM
Although any connection going back 1,000 years or more is unreliable to say the least, it's kind of fun watching Vikings on history channel and seeing what ol' grandpa Ragnar is up to.

Going back 31 generations, makes up to 1 billion ancestors, I bet everyone has some crazy relations.

Baltimore1937
04-24-2016, 05:32 PM
Anyone tried to trace Llewelyn ap Iorwerth, 1174-1240, of Wales? I had him in my tree back when I thought I was connected by his last wife Joan Plantagenet, illegitimate daughter of King John. Then I erased that branch. Now I see I am connected by one of his daughters, Gwladys verch Iorwerth 1194-1251. She married a Mortimer, which line I recently discovered. Llewelyn's paternal line gets vague in no time. I tentatively got it back to around 800 C.E./A.D. Most of the earliest info is from Wikipedia, and not Ancestry.

Oops! I quoted the wrong Gwladys. I was really referring to Gwladys verch Llewelyn 1194-1251.

The way I followed the male line of Llewelyn back in time this time, it looks like they originally came down from the Isle of Man, or elsewhere up in Brynthonic Scotland. They staged a coup and took over the old existing dynasty, allegedly because the old dynasty ran out of male heirs to the throne.

Lirio100
04-24-2016, 05:41 PM
Not exactly famous, but a surprise to me when researching family history. Today is ANZAC day in Australia/New Zealand (they're ahead by a day from my time zone). I found my great grandfather had a younger brother who enlisted in the RA in 1914. His regiment went to Gallipoli, in reading about it's amazing that he survived that campaign.

Baltimore1937
04-26-2016, 09:27 PM
I see in my latest batch of autosomal matches at FTDNA that one of them shows a selfie of himself at the controls of a large airplane, or maybe a ship. He has epaulets with several cross bars, indicating a high rank. His tree is of Norwegian ancestry.

Huntergatherer1066
04-26-2016, 10:14 PM
I see in my latest batch of autosomal matches at FTDNA that one of them shows a selfie of himself at the controls of a large airplane, or maybe a ship. He has epaulets with several cross bars, indicating a high rank. His tree is of Norwegian ancestry.

Perhaps you're a long lost Norwegian princeling?

Mamluk
04-28-2016, 06:48 AM
I am a distant cousin of fashion models "Gigi" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gigi_Hadid) and Bella Hadid (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bella_Hadid), through their father, Mohamed Hadid (http://www.mohamedhadid.com/about/), a real estate developer.
His mother's family is of the same family (http://mondoweiss.net/2015/12/palestinian-details-refugee/)as my paternal grandfather's mother.

MattL
04-28-2016, 08:11 AM
The only famous direct ancestors I have are the typical ones through a gateway ancestor... William Farrar who came to Jamestown VA from England. Like all gateways he leads back to nobility and then royalty, specifically the earliest King I descend from through him is Edward III of England (through his son Lionel). So far it's the only well documented gateway line I've found (I've found more false lines that I can count). This ancestral line was somewhat hidden, I had found my ancestor at one generation was the son of a first wife who died early in marriage and people falsely attributed the second wife as the mother. Fortunately I found a death certificate that had his biological mother listed as well as marriage records, census records, etc to support it.

The most famous in-direct ancestor would be Thomas Jefferson the President... I share his grandfather as my ancestor, Thomas Jefferson (who he seems to be named after) making the President my 1st cousin many times removed.

This line is related to my gateway ancestor. I have an ancestor Judith Jefferson who was the aunt of the President and was married to a George Farrar.

The second most famous in-direct relative is less well documented but seems at least plausible. I might be second cousins (many times removed) with Samuel Houston. I have an ancestral couple, a William Doty m. Sarah Tedford. As it turns out both of their deep ancestries are still in question though believed to roughly have been identified. Via William Doty I may descend from Edward Doty, a passenger on the Mayflower and a signer of the compact. He also has significance of being in the first recorded duel in America lol.

More closely related I am roughly around 6th cousins with Richard Nixon and James Dean, through the same Quaker ancestors, meaning ironically Richard Nixon and James Dean are also cousins with eachother.

More distantly related I have some ancestors that had many well documented descendants making me distant cousins to multiple interesting people. One ancestor was Stephen Bachiler:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Bachiler

Some of the notable descendants of him are listed here, one that isn't listed is Winston Churchill.
http://famouskin.com/famous-kin-menu.php?name=14066+stephen+bachiler

Another ancestor that I have even more notable very distant cousins was a Thomas Perkins:
http://famouskin.com/famous-kin-menu.php?name=3450+thomas+perkins

Samuel Adams and Franklin D. Roosevelt specifically jump out in that list.

Anath
04-28-2016, 09:45 AM
Oops! I quoted the wrong Gwladys. I was really referring to Gwladys verch Llewelyn 1194-1251.

The way I followed the male line of Llewelyn back in time this time, it looks like they originally came down from the Isle of Man, or elsewhere up in Brynthonic Scotland. They staged a coup and took over the old existing dynasty, allegedly because the old dynasty ran out of male heirs to the throne.

Llewelyn ap Iorwerth > Iorweth ap Owain > Owain Gwynedd ap Gruffydd > Gruffydd ap Cynan > Cynan ap Iago > Iago ap Idwal > Idwal ap Elisedd > Elisedd ap Meurig > Meurig ab IDWAL FOEL > Idwal "Foel" ab ANARAWD > Anarawd ap RHODRI MAWR > Rhodri Mawr ap MERFYN > Merfyn "Frych" ap GWRIAD > Gwriad ab ELIDIR > Eldir ap SANDDE > Sandee ap ALCWN > Alcwn ap TEGID > Tegid ap CAID > Caid ap DWYWG > Dwywg Dwc ap LLYWARCH HÊN > Llywarch Hen ab ELIDIR LYDANWYN > Elidir Llydanwyn ap MEIRCHION GUL > Meirchion Gul ap GWRAST LLEDLWN > Gwrast Lledlwn ap CENEU > Ceneu ap COEL HÊN > Coel Hên "Old King Cole" ap TEGFAN > Tegfan ap Deheuvraint > Deheuvraint ap Tudbwyll > Telpwyll ap Urban > Urban ab Gradd > Gradd ap Rhyfeddel > Rhyfeddel ap Rhydeyrn > Rhydeyrn ap Euddigan > Euddigan ap Eudeyrn > Eudeyrn ap Eifydd > Eifydd ap Eudos > Eudos ab Euddolen > Euddolen ab Afallach > Afallach ap Beli > King Beli Mawr The Great (legendary ancestor).. his paternal line and they came originally from Siluria, which is still Wales.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/86/Wales.pre-Roman.jpg/300px-Wales.pre-Roman.jpg

Baltimore1937
04-28-2016, 01:40 PM
Without looking up my tree, the Mortimer/Llewelyn ap Iorweth etc. connection leads downstream via Ward and Webb to Greene (MD colonial governor). There was a Norwegian female married to one of those Welsh male ancestors in the Llewelyn ap Iorwerth paternal line. She was from the Norwegian Viking colony in Dublin, Ireland.

Anath
04-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Without looking up my tree, the Mortimer/Llewelyn ap Iorweth etc. connection leads downstream via Ward and Webb to Greene (MD colonial governor). There was a Norwegian female married to one of those Welsh male ancestors in the Llewelyn ap Iorwerth paternal line. She was from the Norwegian Viking colony in Dublin, Ireland.

That's not really a surprise.. :P Welsh intermarried with the Normans too.

AJL
04-28-2016, 02:43 PM
A few of mine around the 5th/6th cousin range (with some "removed"s):

Leonard Shlain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Shlain)
William Sydney Porter (O. Henry) (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry)
Lysander Spooner (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysander_Spooner)

warwick
04-28-2016, 03:19 PM
My great uncle, Lamar Loe, was a good friend of Jimmie Davis, former Governor of Louisiana. Jimmie Davis wrote the song, "You are My Sunshine" on Lamar Loe's vacation property during a camping trip. [Note that there is some dispute about the original authorship of that song]

"You are My Sunshine"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Are_My_Sunshine

Jimmie Davis:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimmie_Davis

The movie Blaze, which features Paul Newman as Earl Long, Governor of Lousiana during the 1950s, portrays the election campaign between Jimmie Davis and Earl Long. Unfortunately, Jimmie Davis's campaign largely consisted of singing that song. (he won the race).

Davis emphasized his association with the song when running for governor of Louisiana in 1944, singing it at all his campaign rallies, while riding on a horse named "Sunshine".[2]

Blaze (film):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaze_(film)

MattL
04-28-2016, 06:49 PM

My favorite site for such genealogies is genealogics.org

http://genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00013706&tree=LEO&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=8

Saetro
04-30-2016, 03:46 AM
My favorite site for such genealogies is genealogics.org

http://genealogics.org/pedigree.php?personID=I00013706&tree=LEO&parentset=0&display=standard&generations=8

Thanks, Matt.
I happened upon this site a couple of months ago and have not been able to find it again.

Baltimore1937
05-21-2016, 09:18 AM
I just noticed that Charles "The Hammer" Martel (Hero of France), 688-741, is my direct ancestor. If I keep going back, maybe I'll end up in the Garden of Eden.

Baltimore1937
05-22-2016, 10:09 AM
I just noticed that Charles "The Hammer" Martel (Hero of France), 688-741, is my direct ancestor. If I keep going back, maybe I'll end up in the Garden of Eden.

More than one line goes back to Martel > Charlemagne. The direct male line I was following ends with a Gallo-Roman senator/administrator. He was previously Proconsul of (north) Africa. I wonder if there is a better genealogy somewhere that goes back farther, maybe to Rome itself. I also noticed a wife along the way from the Visigoths of Toledo (Spain).

MattL
05-22-2016, 06:00 PM
More than one line goes back to Martel > Charlemagne. The direct male line I was following ends with a Gallo-Roman senator/administrator. He was previously Proconsul of (north) Africa. I wonder if there is a better genealogy somewhere that goes back farther, maybe to Rome itself. I also noticed a wife along the way from the Visigoths of Toledo (Spain).

Probably many lines of descent from Martel. For example, I made a tool from data exported for my single gateway ancestor (William Farrar) by the author of genealogics.org, it calculates the lines of descent from a specific ancestor. Via only my single gateway ancestor I have 8833 lines of descent from Charles Martel, I imagine most people have similar numbers.

Baltimore1937
05-22-2016, 08:18 PM

If my tracing of this single male line is correct, which it probably isn't, and if there were no NPEs over 2,000 years, then it looks like this Swedish immigrant in colonial times had an Italian y-DNA haplogroup/type of the Patrician social class of Ancient Rome.

Wing Genealogist
05-22-2016, 08:30 PM
While no U.S. Presidents descend from my Wing immigrant ancestor, I can take solace in the fact Winston Churchill is a descendant. Other notable descendants include Norman Rockwell and (supposedly) Norma Jean Baker (aka Marilyn Monroe).

Baltimore1937
05-23-2016, 11:36 PM
If my tracing of this single male line is correct, which it probably isn't, and if there were no NPEs over 2,000 years, then it looks like this Swedish immigrant in colonial times had an Italian y-DNA haplogroup/type of the Patrician social class of Ancient Rome.

It looks like I made a mistake. There was a female connection back there that throws the line off. So my Swedish immigrant of colonial times is probably just a Frank, or maybe Saxon. The direct male line fades out prior to Anulf/Arnoul (c.582-640), Bishop of Metz and Patron Saint of Brewers (regarding beer). There obviously are thousands of others out there with Anulf/Arnoul as a direct ancestor.

Baltimore1937
06-02-2016, 01:54 AM
I just tweaked my Charlemagne branch to go back to Clovis I (465-511), King of the Franks. Well, anyone who has Charlemagne on their tree also has Clovis I.

Saetro
06-03-2016, 01:14 AM
You could always commemorate your famous ancestor by calling a descendant Charles or Karl, but I can't see anyone calling a son Clovis without remembering the song "A boy named Sue".

Baltimore1937
06-03-2016, 02:57 PM
You could always commemorate your famous ancestor by calling a descendant Charles or Karl, but I can't see anyone calling a son Clovis without remembering the song "A boy named Sue".

Clovis (Chlodovechus in Latin, Hlodowig in Frankish) was a real "bada.." I doubt that anyone near him would've dared to mock his name. I read somewhere that Emperor Justinian recognized him as the successor to the collapsed western Roman Empire in Gaul, etc.

Emir
06-03-2016, 03:00 PM
I named my son a name of a famous ancestor, and no one likes the name. But, then I look at the names people are using these days, and I don't understand why they think they are good names. I think Clovis should make a comeback. The beauty of a name is in the eye of the beholder.

ffoucart
06-03-2016, 04:17 PM
Clovis is currently the name of a well-known French actor, Clovis Cornillac. Many French are named after Clovis, or a close form of the name: Ludovic, Loïc or Louis.

And a major actor in the Vikings series is named Clotaire.

ffoucart
06-04-2016, 01:43 AM
And a major actor in the Vikings series is named Clotaire.
Oops: Lothaire (Bluteau).

It's the same name, but during the merovingian times, C was often added to some names, but disappeared in the Carolingians time (Clovis/Louis, Clotaire/Lothaire...)

AJL
06-04-2016, 03:40 AM
Clovis is currently the name of a well-known French actor, Clovis Cornillac. Many French are named after Clovis, or a close form of the name: Ludovic, Loïc or Louis.

I've also seen "Ludivine" for females -- some of the Frankish names have lasted long.

Lothaire Bluteau is one of ours, he's in some great films like Jésus de Montréal and Le Confessional.

Baltimore1937
06-11-2016, 07:29 AM
I bumped into a tree/auDNA match (rather distant) at Ancestry who has a Chase line in it. This is back in earliest Massachusetts. I created a tree years ago that is based on my rare HVR1+HVR2, which I traced from Canada back to MA. Chase crosses my assumed maternal line back there. But I've never been able to connect 1600s MA with my earliest known female ancestress in 1800s Indiana. Now I have a DNA match, at least to a tree with Chase in it. Maybe I should be given some Chase bank dividend stock to honor my connection, heh heh!

Baltimore1937
06-12-2016, 02:59 AM
I bumped into a tree/auDNA match (rather distant) at Ancestry who has a Chase line in it. This is back in earliest Massachusetts. I created a tree years ago that is based on my rare HVR1+HVR2, which I traced from Canada back to MA. Chase crosses my assumed maternal line back there. But I've never been able to connect 1600s MA with my earliest known female ancestress in 1800s Indiana. Now I have a DNA match, at least to a tree with Chase in it. Maybe I should be given some Chase bank dividend stock to honor my connection, heh heh!

Looking at my Ann Johnson Tree (= New England), I see my Chase connection went to Canada: James P. Chase, 1744-1816 and Elizabeth Douglas, 1747-1814. They were Loyalists and moved to New Brunswick. So I assume my auDNA connection is via Elizabeth Douglas, or rather her line. There must have been another Chase connection back there.

later: I found another Chase connection. But I'm not sure about where my auDNA match comes from. This Ann Johnson research tree was built to trace my direct U5b2b2. Autosomal source could be anywhere, making it harder to pin down.

Baltimore1937
06-17-2016, 07:53 AM
Poking around the Chase group a bit more, one line at Ancestry has that weak auDNA match. It is close to those Loyalists who went to Canada. Then I have two weak (distant cousin) matches at FTDNA that seem to be related to each other in a separate Chase line. This line or branch (I haven't connected them to each other yet) were close to the sea. They and their spouses were from Barnstable County, MA; Nantucket; Martha's Vineyard; and Rhode Island. I just love that! But that doesn't prove my direct maternal line really connects to all of them. It's just circumstantial evidence. The common ancestor of those two Chase lines is back in 1500s England.

Baltimore1937
07-06-2016, 02:34 AM
My earliest known direct maternal ancestress, Cynthia A. Lee, born 1816 in Indiana (census), has been hard to trace back from there. I've more or less settled on a Lee line going back to New England, rather than back to the Virginia Lee clan. Now it looks like both lines originate from the same Shropshire, England Lee clan. So that would mean Robert E. Lee is my distant cousin. One problem is that both lines came together in early Indiana (farms in same area). So they apparently knew each other as relatives.

AJL
08-05-2016, 03:17 PM
I just found another cousin, the late American sci-fi writer Robert A Heinlein.

Amerijoe
08-05-2016, 04:13 PM
AJL, congratulations on being related to Robert A. Heinlein. He is in my opinion and others one of the greats. I grew up readings his books, don't know if I read them all, probably close. Stranger In A Strange Land had me mesmerized.:hail:

MikeWhalen
08-05-2016, 05:03 PM
Moon is a harsh mistress Rules!

M

I just found another cousin, the late American sci-fi writer Robert A Heinlein.

Amerijoe
08-05-2016, 05:57 PM
Moon is a harsh mistress Rules!M

Mike, Starman Jones and I, agree with you. I became hooked on SF upon seeing, Forbidden Planet. After that I scrounged around for anything related on the subject. Stranger was the first SF book I ever purchased. You always remember your first. With Moon, his was at his best.

MikeWhalen
08-05-2016, 07:14 PM
Thanks Amerijoe

this might surprise you, but one of my fav movies, although I understand a lot of 'tongue in cheek' and criticisms of creeping fascism were shoe horned in, was Star Ship Trooper

"Bugs Mr Rico, zillions of them"!

when ever I am in need of a 'good guys win' movie (given the steady diet of dark and bitter misfit/antihero/everyone is scum type movies) I throw 'troopers' on the blue ray and crank up the surround sound

Mike

Amerijoe
08-05-2016, 09:18 PM
Mike, sound effects for Starship are great, crunching and all. The only uncomfortable scene was the shower scene, not that I'm against naked woman, but my daughter was with me at the time.

'Plan Nine From Outer Space', is burned into my memory, it has to be the worst SF movies of all time, it's so bad, it's comically amusing. It was Bela Lagosi's last flick.

Kiln
08-05-2016, 09:54 PM
I'm not aware of anyone I can name as of now in recent history.

My direct y-line is from the knightly and courtier class in medieval England/Scotland/Normandy ever so long ago.

Sikeliot
08-05-2016, 10:18 PM
I may be distantly related to Lady Gaga. But this is not confirmed. Same surnames from the same ancestral towns.

MikeWhalen
08-05-2016, 10:39 PM
ahh, it would be uncomfortable with your daughter there...of course, I saw it with some guys so it was one of our fav scenes...and I dont mind telling you, I would have taken that red head over the brunette, any day of the week-dopey Caspar
...ya, love that shower scene
...and for the sake of the ladies, I picked the 'safe' shower scene pic

plan 9 and the hundreds like it...super cheapo, crapo movies trying to cash in...unfortunately, I am of an age where they were being played on tv like they were a 'good' movie so I quickly learned to hate them

Mike

Mike, sound effects for Starship are great, crunching and all. The only uncomfortable scene was the shower scene, not that I'm against naked woman, but my daughter was with me at the time.

'Plan Nine From Outer Space', is burned into my memory, it has to be the worst SF movies of all time, it's so bad, it's comically amusing. It was Bela Lagosi's last flick.

Saetro
08-06-2016, 03:43 AM
I have found another inventor in another line - Richard Trevithick, a Cornishman who worked on improved steam engines (late 1700s).
One had such a good power to weight ratio that it was a good contender for a steam train, or early car.

Following on from the inventor I mentioned earlier in #164 and #166, his father, William Harriston was a minor Scottish people's poet who celebrated the Vale of Leven, Glasgow and the steam boats just starting to ply the waters of the Clyde estuary and Loch Lomond. Not exactly famous, but his foolishness in giving up a well-paying job to become a professional poet led to troubling times for him and an appeal for aid in the form of a poetical autobiography - gold dust for a descendant genealogist!

That earlier inventor was an inspiration to my childhood self, thinking about pursuing science.

Saetro
08-06-2016, 03:53 AM
Thomas German Reed and Priscilla Horton were a distant uncle and aunt.
They had a large entry in the ca.1911 Encyclopedia Britannica as being the nursery for William Schwenck Gilbert and Arthur Sullivan as separate individuals honing their craft in musical comedy: Gilbert and Sullivan operetta was born among the Reeds is a frequent punning quote.
He had an earlier career as orchestra conductor at the Haymarket, and she as stage performer in Shakespeare as well as lighter pieces.
Their first night's initial musical comedy work together was reviewed by Lewis Carroll.

AJL
08-06-2016, 11:37 PM

Ed Wood made some other equally horrible movies with Bela Lugosi, like Glen or Glenda?

MyAnthropologies
08-07-2016, 02:38 AM
I'm related to a famous poet from Afghanistan from my maternal side named Mohammed Zamani. He is my great uncle and he died of a heart attack in 2005.

http://img4.bdbphotos.com/images/230x300/b/p/bp1exeaulqhtepx1.jpg?skj2io4l

Gaku
08-21-2016, 10:33 PM
Well I believe I related to myself and my non de plume is rather popular in the photography business [with even getting on National Geographic, etc.].

William Brewster, known to Mayflower descendants [and his own], was the grandnephew of one ancestor through his grandmother [he was her brother].

A rather famous actor whom died a few years ago was my uncle. Well he was my father's 2nd cousin, however, that side of the family [paternal for both] have always been rather close. There's some intermarrige but since the 1600s they've been in the same region, more or less the same career profession, etc. Both his father's father & my father's father's father served in WWII for example in the same military division and further back in mid 1700s forefathers served in the Royal Navy together as well.

Phillippe de Longvilliers de Poincy is the brother of an ancester on my father's side.

There is a number of others

I am related, for example, not too distantly to the lead singer of Duran Duran through my mother's side.

And a couple of people famous, or infamous depends on how you view it, during the French Revolution. I mean does one tell the guests over tea & biscuits or as after dinner entertainment that they are related Bonaparte?

BalkanKiwi
08-22-2016, 09:57 PM
Since the new Thor movie is filming here in Brisbane at the moment, everyone is pretty excited. The director, Taika Waititi, is my 15th cousin 10 times removed.

Magnetic
08-22-2016, 10:57 PM
yes to my dad . he is a famous well known asshole

rod
08-23-2016, 04:22 AM
I knew President Gerald Ford was a 10th cousin. Now I have to figure out why two of his grandchildren are predicted 4th cousins at AncestryDNA.

angscoire
08-25-2016, 05:14 PM
The actor Sean Connery is my 5th cousin twice removed . We both are descendants of William Ross and Christian Grant who hailed from Glenbuchat , Scotland.

Baltimore1937
08-27-2016, 03:14 PM
I may have a Hohenzollern connection (Kaiser Wilhelm, etc). This is via a daughter in a large family back in the 1400s. I suspect it may be a fairy tale, ha ha. But the claims on a few trees at Ancestry was a marriage to an Englander (John Barber). But she survived him and died in Prussia. This is another connection to the second colonial governor of Maryland, or rather this time to his second wife Winifred Seabourne (various spellings), who is my direct ancestress (but not direct maternal line).

The War of the Roses was going on during the 1400s, if I'm not mistaken. Many of the losers fled England to the continent, until they saw which direction the wind was blowing. So the new Tudor monarch, Henry VII, declared amnesty and invited those knights and etc. to return to England.

It reminds me of when I was a PFC in the army in West Berlin in the 1950s. After getting inebriated up at the French NCO club in the French sector, we (one or two buddies) illegally (as far as the army was concerned) occasionally took the subway (U-Bahn) through the Commie central part of Berlin in order to get back to the American sector in the shortest amount of time. So I liked to sing the first part of a song (while in transit) which I'm sure must have been forbidden in the East sector: "Wir wollen Kaiser Wilhelm wieder haben!..." Ha ha! That popular song was not only anticommunist, it was anti (Weimar, Bundes, etc) republican. In those days, you had to go via the Russian-controlled central core in order to transit to the American sector from the French sector (using the U-Bahn). That was also before the infamous wall was built.

BalkanKiwi
08-27-2016, 11:06 PM
Temuera Morrison, who plays the legendary Jango Fett in Star Wars, is my 12th cousin 8 times removed.

leonardo
08-27-2016, 11:36 PM
My mother tells me that Ron Harper is her 2nd cousin: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0363951/. Planet of the Apes, anybody?

Baltimore1937
10-26-2016, 03:53 AM
I just noticed that I'm apparently a distant cousin of the movie star Elizabeth Taylor. Lately I've been trying to delve deeper into my colonial Virginia Taylor line. It's thoroughly confusing back there with several immigrant Taylor brothers of their immigrant father (1600s). Elizabeth's paternal line looks to go back to James (one of those brothers). That James line has Zachary Taylor and James Madison downstream. I still don't know which of those Taylor brothers I descend from. I bumped into a couple of matches with persons connected to two different other brothers. Although Elizabeth Taylor was born in England, her parents were Americans.

I also tried to connect to General Maxwell D. Taylor, but didn't quite manage it. However, his paternal line goes back to Somerset County, Maryland; eastern shore next to Acomack County, Virginia. My Taylor clan was in Acomack County in the 1600s. So there may well be a relationship, such as cousin back then.

FredBats
10-26-2016, 04:31 PM

Related to anyone famous. Well dad was, and still "is" to some because he made them out as fools that a baboon could have easily run circles around, famous for suing a federal government for the biggest settlement at the time....

blah

Dewsloth
10-26-2016, 05:14 PM
My most famous relatives are distant fellow descendants of Mayflower passengers:

All of Richard Warren's children survived to adulthood, married, and had large families: making Richard Warren one of the most common Mayflower passengers to be descended from. Richard Warren's descendants include such notables as Civil War general and President Ulysses S. Grant; President Franklin D. Roosevelt; and Alan B. Shepard, Jr. the first American in space and the fifth person to walk on the moon.

Famous Descendants of Mayflower Passenger Francis Cooke

President Franklin D. Roosevelt.
Presidents George Bush, and George W. Bush
Artist Cephas Thompson
Mrs. Anna Mary Robertson "Grandma Moses"
(George) Orson Welles,1915-1985
Abel Head "Shanghai" Pierce,1834-1900, of the Rancho Grande. A Texas cattleman he introduced the Brahman cattle breed into Texas.
Richard Gere
Brian Douglas Wilson & Dennis Carl Wilson [the Beach Boys]
Dick Van Dyke

Baltimore1937
11-01-2016, 11:40 PM
WikiTree has me connected to Bob Dylan and Queen Elizabeth II.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/queen-offers-to-restore-british-rule-over-united-states

tejus
11-02-2016, 05:48 AM
Temuera Morrison, who plays the legendary Jango Fett in Star Wars, is my 12th cousin 8 times removed.

Baltimore1937
11-11-2016, 12:53 AM
I noticed today while browsing around the Internet (Real Clear History) that Vladimir Putin has erected a large bronze statue near the Kremlin of one of my Medieval ancestors, namely Vladimir-the-Great/Saint Vladimir. He did his greatness back around 1,000 A.D./C.E. Maybe I should charge a few million rubles for permission to use my ancestor like that (heh heh).

FredBats
11-11-2016, 10:34 AM
I noticed today while browsing around the Internet (Real Clear History) that Vladimir Putin has erected a large bronze statue near the Kremlin of one of my Medieval ancestors, namely Vladimir-the-Great/Saint Vladimir. He did his greatness back around 1,000 A.D./C.E. Maybe I should charge a few million rubles for permission to use my ancestor like that (heh heh).

But the thing is, is Putin is likely more... purely shall we say... related to Valdimir than you are. So he should be charging you.

Particularly, if your genealogy came from such sites as ancestry.com. I do get a kick out of the "family trees" I find there. One does, after all, have to laugh quite hard when well researched groups such as the Acadians are lauded on that site and similar sites so widely used by copy & paste "researchers" [who don't bother to actually research, just copy what others say] as being rittled with indian princesses when legitimate Acadian families and outsider researchers have long since proven that mythology as false.

Lirio100
11-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Not really famous, I suppose, but today is Armistice Day, Veteran's Day in the USA. My grandfathers weren't the "right" age for WWI, although one did register at 18 in 1917, their fathers were too old. In 2014 I finally found the actual birthplace of a great grandfather on my dad's side, and the rest of his family in Staffordshire, England (he had come here alone). One of his younger brothers enlisted in the Royal Army in 1914; he was a survivor of Gallipoli and then sent to Iraq as part of the Mesopotamian campaign. He died in Dec 1917 and is buried in a British military cemetery just outside Baghdad. I was able to buy one of the ceramic poppies from the Tower of London display in his name, and now have it displayed along with the American flag today.

Edward J
11-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Italian family claims relation to Cesar Augustus. Mostly due the name similarity (D'Agostino) I would assume.

Baltimore1937
11-11-2016, 10:57 PM
But the thing is, is Putin is likely more... purely shall we say... related to Valdimir than you are. So he should be charging you.

Particularly, if your genealogy came from such sites as ancestry.com. I do get a kick out of the "family trees" I find there. One does, after all, have to laugh quite hard when well researched groups such as the Acadians are lauded on that site and similar sites so widely used by copy & paste "researchers" [who don't bother to actually research, just copy what others say] as being rittled with indian princesses when legitimate Acadian families and outsider researchers have long since proven that mythology as false.

There you go baiting me again. Your contempt is duly noted. I don't limit my research to Ancestry.com trees. And I don't just blindly copy and paste. Most of my critics just use generalities and platitudes, and terms such as "likely". But hey, it's free speech, right.

By the way, if Vladimir-the-Great is really one of my ancestors (connected via two different lines), then a lot of others with UK and French ancestry also have him in their trees.

later: Looking at stuff on Historum.com, it looks like Hillary Clinton is my distant cousin and also descended from Vladimir-the-Great! I compared my tree with what was given in a thread at Historum. To clarify a wee mite, someone pointed out that she was related to Isabella, daughter of a king of France, whose line goes back to Vladimir-the-Great (among others). Isabella married Edward II Plantagenet.

Torc Seanathair
11-15-2016, 06:19 PM
This just got a lot easier with the new "We're Related" app for smartphones from Ancestry. Maybe it is not even fair.
Apparently , nearly everyone is your 9th cousin. It says I'm related to Bill Clinton, Barack Obama, and my own wife through the Crenshaw family of colonial Virginia ~1668. So, it says my wife is my 7th cousin, 2x removed. We don't meet the gedmatch criteria for an autosomal match, but I had noticed that if you run the function for people that match both of two kits, that a handful of kit numbers show up.
Other "relations": Bill Gates, Matt Damon, Johnny Depp, Walt Disney, Marilyn Monroe, Britney Spears, Miley Cyrus, Kurt Cobain, Michael Jackson.
If it sounds too crazy to be true, it probably is.

Baltimore1937
11-15-2016, 06:55 PM
Well, I still don't own a smart phone, or even an old fashion cell phone. But one of these days I'll do it in some fashion. Since I have a serious hearing loss, I haven't answered my home phone in over 20 years! That really must annoy debt collectors.

I've bumped into enough famous people via my old fashioned genealogy (mostly not DNA) to satisfy my ego. I'm wondering about Prince Machiavelli, though. Somewhere I have a connection to a Medici. Was Machiavelli related to them? I'd love to place him in my tree!

castle3
11-15-2016, 07:36 PM
I'm afraid Ancestry.com & their ilk are horrendously riddled with inaccuracies. I'd take a massive portion of salt before even considering taking their leads seriously. Ancient docs from pre-1000 AD are simplistic & subject to the whims of panegyrists. The works of Dio Cassio, Gildas & Bede need to be viewed sceptically. Victorian-era genealogists were often the most suspect, concocting trees to fit with whomsoever their clients wished.
An example of the complexities of genealogical research: I was sent a pedigree from an American who claimed various links to the an important Scottish family. He named an individual christened William as his direct ancestor. The tiny village where this William was reputedly born was also the birthplace for five other Williams, all born within eighteen months of each other. Three had a wife named Elizabeth. It was impossible to prove which was the William concerned!
Re your haplogroup: I see you belong to a sub-group of R1a. Do all the royal families you claim links to also belong to R1a? From memory, most European royalty was R1b, but I stand to be corrected by experts in that field.
Finally, claims should be fully referenced so that they can be analysed for accuracy.

Baltimore1937
11-15-2016, 08:34 PM
I'm afraid Ancestry.com & their ilk are horrendously riddled with inaccuracies. I'd take a massive portion of salt before even considering taking their leads seriously. Ancient docs from pre-1000 AD are simplistic & subject to the whims of panegyrists. The works of Dio Cassio, Gildas & Bede need to be viewed sceptically. Victorian-era genealogists were often the most suspect, concocting trees to fit with whomsoever their clients wished.
An example of the complexities of genealogical research: I was sent a pedigree from an American who claimed various links to the an important Scottish family. He named an individual christened William as his direct ancestor. The tiny village where this William was reputedly born was also the birthplace for five other Williams, all born within eighteen months of each other. Three had a wife named Elizabeth. It was impossible to prove which was the William concerned!
Re your haplogroup: I see you belong to a sub-group of R1a. Do all the royal families you claim links to also belong to R1a?
Finally, claims should be fully referenced so that they can be analysed for accuracy.

I'm assuming you are talking to me, although you didn't say so. I don't guarantee much of anything before the Revolutionary War in my tree. It's mostly just for fun.

My R1a is Norwegian. That is pretty much narrow in scope to Norwegian genealogy. My grandiose Medieval connections are on my maternal grandmother's branch. So it has little to do with direct line DNA testing.

castle3
11-15-2016, 08:42 PM
Thanks, Baltimore. It was you I was referring to. I'm glad you are admitting you can't guarantee much of anything before the Revolutionary War' regarding Y-DNA. Are your mtDNA connections solid, or based on Ancestry's claims?

Baltimore1937
11-15-2016, 09:05 PM
Thanks, Baltimore. It was you I was referring to. I'm glad you are admitting you can't guarantee much of anything before the Revolutionary War' regarding Y-DNA. Are your mtDNA connections solid, or based on Ancestry's claims?

As for my Y-DNA, I only go back to about 1843 in Norway. That was the Immigrant to the USA (Wisconsin). I received an email years ago from a project administrator that his parents were not married when he was born. My last name is the name of the farm in Norway where his mother lived. His alleged father was from a different farm.

My mtDNA only goes back to 1816 Indiana (census info). However, it is rather rare even at HVR1& HVR2 level. Back when SMGF was open, I traced one of two trees with that mtDNA back to early Massachusetts. And I suspect that tree is connected to mine, although separated by several blank generations. The other tree with my mtDNA HVR1&HVR2 is derived and only goes back to around 1800 or a bit earlier in Ohio and via census info back to Pennsylvania. As for matches, I only have one at FTDNA U5 project who does not give any information. And she is one off (a transversion). An additional two or three (I haven't looked lately) are listed as HVR1&HVR2 matches at FTDNA, but not much or any info given. Anyway my mtDNA surely came from the UK, and probably England.

My grandiose Medieval claims mostly go back from my non-DNA maternal great-grandfather's line, which goes back to the second colonial governor of Maryland and his relatives, etc. A couple of other lines in my maternal side also have prominent people. Daniel Boone is my first cousin six times removed, for example.

castle3
11-15-2016, 09:38 PM
Thanks for the extra info, Baltimore.
I'm a little concerned by your mention of 'several blank generations', plus compiling pedigrees using mtDNA links, unless backed by solid paper-trail evidence, but I suppose we all adopt different methods.
Good luck with your research.

tirosen
11-29-2016, 07:17 PM
I know most of you are of European descendant and not as familiar with "famous" people who are of non-European background. The furthest I have been actually trace back is 8 generations back. My father's side of the family has been in Taiwan for 8 generations. The first person from my father's side of the family moved to Taiwan from Longxi County (now Longwen District), Zhangzhou prefecture, Fujian Province, China to Taiwan. Thus, my estimate would say that was 200-225 years ago. Plus, I had an ancestry tablet which listed all the names of my ancestors who lived in Taiwan from the 1st ancestor who moved during the Qing Dynasty in the late 1700's-early 1800's to Taiwan and list names all the way to my paternal grandfather (see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_tablet). Note: I am a Christian and do not engage in ancestor worship. And I also have a copy of a portrait painting of my 1st paternal ancestor in Taiwan who apparently was a Qing Dynasty Provincial Military Scholar-Official. Examples of ancestor painting can be found at http://www.ebay.com/bhp/chinese-ancestor-paintings. He was a Qing Dynasty imperial military scholar. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qing_dynasty He had the military version of the "juren" 舉人 degree or called a "wujuren" 武舉人 See:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperial_examination#Military_examinations I guess in the sense that own of my ancestor was a "wujuren" 武舉人would make him prominent.

According to a genealogist researching my genealogy (and it is actually mentioned on my ancestry tablet) descendant of Chen Yuanguang (Tan Goan-kong), a general and official during the Tang Dynasty in China. He lived between AD 657 to AD 711. I am not sure how reliable that is since I also discovered some inconsistencies in the genealogy which also shows I am descendant of a relative of him, but not directly. I think tracing that far back can be less reliable. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tan_Goan-kong