PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone from the old DNA Forums remember who posted this?

Grossvater
09-18-2012, 09:50 PM
One reason why I am so riled up at that character who let the DNA Forums website go down without any warning is the loss of some important reference information. Someone on that forum posted the following post and I am trying to find this person and make contact:

"I think I've finally got it narrowed down as to where my father's mtDNA haplogroup A2 ancestry came from. As I posted in another thread here, he is a member of Haplotype #77 in Achilli et al. (2008)'s A2 phylogenetic tree.

My father's most recent Native American ancestor in this lineage was born in the early 1700's. This was the exact time frame when the Caddo Indians (several of whom I am also descended from) were heavily involved in the trade of Apache slaves acquired during conflicts with the Comanche. The Caddo would acquire the slaves and sell them to the French in Natchitoches, Louisiana Territory, where there was an important fort that was founded and commanded by one of my ancestors.

As it turns out, my father's mtDNA ancestor was the wife of a French soldier who was stationed at Natchitoches. This soldier was known to be later involved in the Indian trade, and he had children with a different Native American woman who was known to be his former slave (who was also one of my ancestors via a different lineage). Given his history, supported by the DNA evidence, it is therefore likely that his other partner (my father's ancestor) was also a former slave.

Haplogroup #77 has been traced back to the Tlicho (formerly Dogrib) First Nation of the present-day Northwest Territories of Canada in Tamm et al. (2007). The Tlicho are Athabascan language group speakers (a Na-Dene family). The Apache (as well as the Navajo) are also Athabascan speakers who were believed to have migrated to the southwestern USA from present-day western Canada about 500-1000 years ago.

Combining all these lines of evidence, I believe it is likely that my father's mtDNA ancestor was Apache (probably Lipan Apache), and I hypothesize that haplotype #77 will be represented in a significant proportion of the Apache. Unfortunately I am not aware of any sample groups of Apache having yet been tested for the defining SNPs of that haplotype, so the proof of that hypothesis will have to wait for a later date.

I must say that I am ashamed that one of my French ancestors participated in this slave trade, but I am proud to have such noble Native American ancestry, and invite contact from anybody with similar ancestry. "

I copied this post but neglected to get a name. Do you recognize your post? If so, would you contact me by pm? Does anyone remember who posted this?

ilmari
09-18-2012, 11:05 PM
Disregard, posted in error.

Scarlet Ibis
09-19-2012, 07:15 AM
I don't know who posted it, unfortunately, but you might be able to get the person to find this thread through a google, bing, etc. search if you post it outside of the lounge section. The Lounge is hidden from unregistered members, so spiders don't crawl it, and anything posted in here will not show up in internet search results. If you'd like the thread to be moved, maybe to the mtdna haplogroup A section, let me or another admin or mod know.

Grossvater
09-19-2012, 05:11 PM
Thank you, Scarlet Ibis for your reply and offer. Yes, please...could you kindly move this thread to the Mitochondrial A section? Much appreciated!

zaender
09-19-2012, 11:33 PM
In my sharing list there are two people with mtdna A2 - Blaine Bettinger and Yolanda Tamer. I am not sure about their authorship, but probably they will know more!

GTC
09-20-2012, 01:35 AM
In my sharing list there are two people with mtdna A2 - Blaine Bettinger and Yolanda Tamer. I am not sure about their authorship, but probably they will know more!

Blaine operates a blog:

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/

... and it may be my imagination, but I seem to recall a DNA-forums member named Yolanda.

AppalachianGumbo
09-21-2012, 11:12 PM
I hope you find them. :)

VinceT
09-22-2012, 03:03 AM
... and it may be my imagination, but I seem to recall a DNA-forums member named Yolanda.

Yolanda went by RedWolf, and is one of my shares at 23andMe.

zaender
09-22-2012, 11:05 AM
I have sent her a note. Maybe she shows up.

AJL
09-22-2012, 02:51 PM
If none of these work, the following on 23andme are also A2:

A2: Abigail Weinrich, Alvaro Forero, Deirdre Cross, Gary Felix, Ramon Rodriguez
A2b: Robert Valenzuela
A2c: Anita Peacemaker, brent jablonowski
A2d: daniel rodriguez, Michael Muller
A2d1: Rebecca Houseman

Good luck!