PDA

View Full Version : British & Irish 23andMe results

Anglo-Celtic DC
09-29-2014, 03:23 PM
As I mentioned on another thread, I am an American of overwhelmingly British and Irish descent (with very little else that I can find; I am only aware of one French and one Swiss ancestor). I am perhaps most interested in determining what extant global populations I am closest to. Various Eurogenes tests on GEDmatch have been the most revealing thus far, placing me very close (somewhere in between?) Irish and Southwest English, comparing my results to the reference panels and using the Oracle results.

I have seen some 23andMe results from a few present-day Britons and Irish on here, and they are strikingly close to my results. But I would be interested in seeing more, so if any posters would be willing to share, I'd be very grateful. (Either here or as a 23andMe share would be great.) Best wishes to all!

Salkin
09-29-2014, 03:42 PM
As I have no known British or Irish ancestry, I'm not really part of your primary target group - but it might be interesting to know I show 9.9% of it, a pretty significant amount, even though known family history is just about all Swedish. Apparently something like 4-10% B&I is very common in Scandinavians.

Some other mainland European groups show even more - I've seen Dutch users with no known Isles background but something like 24% B&I in Ancestry Composition. Many figure it's down to 23andMe having way more people in their database with a British/Irish background compared to other European backgrounds, so some DNA that's generically Northern European currently gets categorised as B&I.

Anyway, here's my AC:

99.9% European

Northern European
62.2% Scandinavian
9.9% British & Irish
2.3% French & German
0.5% Finnish
24.6% Broadly Northern European
0.3% Eastern European
0.1% Ashkenazi
0.1% Broadly European
0.1% East Asian & Native American
East Asian
0.1% Broadly East Asian
< 0.1% Unassigned

J Man
09-29-2014, 04:31 PM
I have heard of some full blooded French people scoring around 30% or so in the British and Irish category at 23andme on the Ancestry Compisition test.

Stephen1986
09-29-2014, 04:32 PM
Here's my 23andMe AC results, on speculative mode (I have two unknown great great grandfathers who could be from outside of Britain and Ireland, but most likely aren't) -

100% European
Northern European -

70.5% British & Irish
6.1% French & German
1.9% Scandinavian
20.3% Broadly Northern European

1.2% Broadly European
< 0.1% Unassigned

And my brother's results -

99.7% European
Northern European -

70.8% British & Irish
5.1% French & German
0.7% Scandinavian
20.5% Broadly Northern European

Southern European -

0.2% Iberian
1.0% Broadly Southern European

1.4% Broadly European

0.1% Middle Eastern & North African -

0.1% North African

< 0.1% East Asian & Native American -

< 0.1% Broadly East Asian
< 0.1% Broadly East Asian and Native American

0.2% Unassigned

Alpine Hominin
09-29-2014, 05:32 PM
Sure, here's my 23andMe results in Speculative. My known ancestry is predominantly British and Irish, with some French and German. It's possible my French and German should be higher.

100%
European

Northern European
64.9%
British & Irish
12.4%
French & German
1.6%
Scandinavian
19.3%
Broadly Northern European

Southern European
0.3%
Balkan
0.2%
Broadly Southern European
< 0.1%
Ashkenazi
1.3%
Broadly European

Anglo-Celtic DC
09-29-2014, 10:28 PM
Thanks to all who have replied! FWIW, below are my results in speculative mode. They are fairly close to Stephen1986 and his brother, though with a bit more of an Iberian/Broadly Southern European contribution. I have no knowledge of any direct ancestors from Iberia/Southern Europe, and I tend to think these numbers reflect Iberian heritage in my "celtic" ancestors.

99.9%
European

66.6% British & Irish
4.9% French & German
3.1% Scandinavian
20.6% Broadly Northern European

2.1% Iberian
1.0% Broadly Southern European

1.5% Broadly European

< 0.1% South Asian
0.1% Unassigned

Mike McG
09-30-2014, 12:04 AM
My father was RC, born 1913 in County Tipperary Ireland as were all of his ancestors back to the late 1700s and probably a lot earlier. My mother was Protestant born 1920 in London England and all her ancestors I have found were from London or near by counties in southern England.

My 23&me results in Speculative Mode were as follows:

99.8% European
0.2% Unassigned

99.4% Northern European
82.0% British & Irish
3.9% French & German
0.6% Scandinavian
12.9% Nonspecific Northern European

0.4% Nonspecific European
0.0% for all other 23&me populations

Mike McG

Anglecynn
09-30-2014, 12:05 AM
Here's my results, my ancestry is mostly English with a bit from south Wales and Scotland.

Speculative:
99.9% European

44% British and Irish
6.1% French and German
5.4% Scandinavian
39.7% Broadly northern European

2.3% Broadly Southern European

2.4% Broadly European

<0.1% East Asian (Yakut)

<0.1% Unassigned

Anglo-Celtic DC
09-30-2014, 12:27 AM
Does anyone know if 23andMe's "British & Irish" might represent the more "Celtic" (i.e. pre-Norman/Viking/Anglo-Saxon) ancestry of the Isles? And that those with greater admix of Germanic inheritance have on average lower percentages of "British & Irish" by 23andMe's qualifications (and more Broadly Northern European, Scandinavian, etc.)?

Salkin
09-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Does anyone know if 23andMe's "British & Irish" might represent the more "Celtic" (i.e. pre-Norman/Viking/Anglo-Saxon) ancestry of the Isles? And that those with greater admix of Germanic inheritance have on average lower percentages of "British & Irish" by 23andMe's qualifications (and more Broadly Northern European, Scandinavian, etc.)?

I think that's probably the case to some extent, but it's pretty difficult to tell Germanic from Celtic by DNA. The "Celtification" of Britain was to a great extent cultural assimilation of pre-existing populations rather than a genetic population turnover. Obviously there was some admixture, but the waters are muddied by the Celtic presence in central and western Europe, making many modern mainland groups look similarly admixed. Some of the Germanic populations that flowed in later had probably already had some opportunity to admix with Celts before they left present Denmark or northern Germany.

Britain and Ireland tend to cluster very close to the rest of northern Europe in PCA (like 23andMe's Global Similarity Map) and often have considerable overlap. In the Global Similarity Map the English basically occupy the same space as the Norwegians, whose cluster I'm plotted in the middle of. The Irish are a little more apart, but that seems to vary a lot from study to study.

ADW_1981
09-30-2014, 02:10 PM

Possibly, but I am aware of non-English ancestry in my tree just a few hundred years ago. My family has around 50%BI, but 15-16% French/German on both sides. I believe full blown Irish people get much higher than 50%BI.

Neacal
12-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Here are my mothers results, she is (as far as I know) fully British with the exception of a Swedish great grandmother.

62.3% British & Irish
10.8% French & German
5.6% Scandinavian
19.7% Nonspecific Northern European
1.1% Nonspecific European

Anglo-Celtic DC
01-02-2015, 02:54 PM
Here are my mothers results, she is (as far as I know) fully British with the exception of a Swedish great grandmother.

Interesting to wonder what her results would look like with a British rather than Swedish great grandmother! (But I suppose she'd be a different person...)

I have noticed in my very informal, highly unscientific survey that Irish participants seem to get a much higher British & Irish percentage than English persons (I haven't seen any results from Scottish or Welsh participants). The Irish results seem to be in the 80-90% range, and English 50-70% range. Perhaps this hints at the fairly widely-accepted premise that England is more admixed than Ireland?

Jutlander
04-30-2015, 12:13 PM
The recent Genetic map that was completed on a study of Ethnic grouping that was recently released and also the series "Face of Britiain" clearing shows that Germanic DNA and the Celtic is clearly different and can be distinguished.

The Red is Germanic(Angles, Saxons, Jutes, Frisians) and the other colours to the West and around are Cetlic groupings.

http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-07/04/genetic-mapping-britain/viewgallery/285522

I am not sure why 23andme glue Britain and Island together where as Ancestry DNA does not, it has a separate Irish section.

This is what get from 23andme on speculative:

Unfortunately, on Ancestry DNA, the 23 percent Broadly North European becomes Irish while the 60+ percent British and Irish simply becomes British Isles.

My Ancestry is rougly Anglo-Saxon English, Jutish Kent, Irish and suspected German.

Someone is right and someone is wrong, but its me who is left in the dark and thinking i wasted some money somewhere.

Reith
04-30-2015, 12:28 PM
Below is mine. Both sides of my family emigrated from Northern Germany. On my mother's side there were rumors of Scandinavian background. My Father's last name, Wright, was originally Reith prior to WWI. Y DNA seems Celtic with Irish being the best guess. M DNA seems to be all over Northern Europe. Interestingly, my Gedmatch shows much more Scandinavian matches than you would think for my Y DNA. So not sure if my Irish ancestor was Norse-Gael on his mother's line, or my male line was in Northern Germany for a while changing my autosomal through time. My Broadly Northern seems quite high... not helping my mystery >:(

100%
European

Northern European

19.9% French & German
19.6% British & Irish
9.4% Scandinavian
37.0% Broadly Northern European
4.1% Eastern European

Southern European

1.8% Broadly Southern European
8.1% Broadly European

Single Population Sharing:

# Population (source) Distance
1 North_German 5.44
2 Swedish 5.72
3 Norwegian 6.42
4 North_Swedish 6.51
5 Danish 6.56
6 North_Dutch 6.59
7 East_German 7.4
8 West_German 8.21
9 South_Dutch 8.57
10 Southeast_English 8.81
11 West_Norwegian 8.87
12 Irish 8.88
13 Southwest_English 9.16
14 West_Scottish 9.21
15 Southwest_Finnish 9.53
16 Orcadian 10.61
17 Hungarian 11.44
18 Austrian 12.4
19 Finnish 12.6
20 French 13.27

Judith
12-03-2016, 05:01 PM
Hi angloceltic dc I am pure bred Brit and get
62% British and Irish
12% French and German
4% Scandinavian
0.4% Finnish
26 % north west europe
So my complaint is that they do not count me as British enough, the opposite of other complaints.
Basically we are all very similar and different techniques and tests are needed to distinguish us all. But we are all hoping that this will be from livingDNA both from their reference populations and their techniques, but we will see!

Amerijoe
12-03-2016, 06:22 PM
Hi angloceltic dc I am pure bred Brit and get
62% British and Irish
12% French and German
4% Scandinavian
0.4% Finnish
26 % north west europe

So my complaint is that they do not count me as British enough, the opposite of other complaints.
Basically we are all very similar and different techniques and tests are needed to distinguish us all. But we are all hoping that this will be from livingDNA both from their reference populations and their techniques, but we will see!

Judith, is there a clear cut definition of a pure bred Brit? I was born approx 100 miles north of the Northwest English border and this is what my Brit breeding gave me. Each one of us is made from our own special sauce, we all are pure in essence. ;)

23andMe

Ancestrydna

FTDNA

A Norfolk L-M20
12-03-2016, 11:34 PM
The problem is that the English have had a lot more admixture than the Irish or Scots, etc. So that when 23andMe (as with some other atDNA testing for ancestry companies) set up a British & Irish reference population, the reference looks for what all of it's samples have in common, from the Irish to the English, and what it has in common is the shared descent from the North-West European Late Prehistoric population. Now here is the issue. The Irish, and some Scottish for example, have a lot of it. They very often score in excess of 90% "British & Irish" on 23andme. However, the English, score significantly less. The further to the South-East then in general, the lower. There are exceptions - sometimes because many modern English have some known admixture in their recently family history from Ireland, Scotland, or Wales. the Industrial Revolution shook things up. However, the English usually score only 30% to 75% "British and Irish" on 23andMe. Instead, we often have percentages of: French & German, Scandinavian, Broadly NW European, and Southern European - higher than those of the Irish or Scottish.

The problem is that some DNA for ancestry companies have been exaggerating their abilities to discriminate recent (300 years) or "family" admixture, from background or "population" admixture further back. The English are an admixed population. A lot of admixture during the Early Medieval with Anglo-Saxon immigration, but also before that, and since. We are more Continental than the North West British. We share some old British descent with them, even a majority in most cases, but we also share a lot of shared ancestry with other reference populations. DNA tests like Ancestry Composition don't get anciently admixed populations. Indeed, it's not just the English. Many European populations are admixed. However, 23andMe tells it's customers that they are a certain percentage of certain regions over the past 300 - 500 years. As though it is an indisputable truth. They do however give us the slim warning. Most customers look at "Speculative" mode. They are saying it is a speculation.

Unaware of this, many customers have been, and continue to interpret their results far too literally. If for example, an American, Canadian, or Australian reads he or she is 40% British & Irish, 30% French & German, 20% Scandinavian, and 10% Southern European. They are inclined to believe this. In actual fact, they could in reality for example be of 100% SE English ancestry, over the previous 300 - 500 years.

My mother's results?

She grew up in a remote Norfolk village in a rural household. On paper, I have traced around 125 of her direct ancestors. Would you believe, everyone English, East Anglian, and almost all in Norfolk (one line trailed back just over the border to Suffolk). What were her results on 23andMe?

My Mother. Spec mode V4.

European 100% Broken into:

NW European 93% Broken into:

British & Irish 36%
French & German 13%
Scandinavian 4%
The rest, broadly NW European 40%
South European 2%

Sub Saharan African 0.1%

East African <0.1%

I have recorded 252 direct ancestors for myself, all South-East English. See my signature below.

My Results. Spec Mode V4 before phasing

100% European broken into
94% Northwestern Europe
3% Southern Europe
3% unassigned European

Broken down further to:
32% British & Irish
27% French & German
7% Scandinavian
29% Broadly NW European
0.5% Iberian
2.4% Broadly South European

My Results after phasing with one parent. Spec Mode V4

100% European
96% Northwestern European
1.8% Southern European
2.2% Broadly European

Broken down further to:
37% British & Irish
22% French & German
1% Scandinavian
36% Broadly NW European
1.8% Broadly Southern European

Amerijoe
12-04-2016, 12:47 AM
Norfolk very informative and a well presented line of reasoning. It makes me want to paint my body and ran naked screaming like a banshee, out you foreigners out! Oh, it was already done. That Mel Gibson was one step ahead of me.

We are who we are. The driving desire is how we got to be. I don't believe that can be answered with any absolute certainty with present technology. Let the quest continue.

A Norfolk L-M20
12-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Norfolk very informative and a well presented line of reasoning. It makes me want to paint my body and ran naked screaming like a banshee, out you foreigners out! Oh, it was already done. That Mel Gibson was one step ahead of me.

We are who we are. The driving desire is how we got to be. I don't believe that can be answered with any absolute certainty with present technology. Let the quest continue.

Indeed, although 1) it's important to understand that those painted banshees also number among the ancestors of the English, usually over 50%, and 2) that those painted banshees also most likely had an awful lot of admixture during the Early Bronze Age from earlier immigrants to these isles.

What is stark, is that the "NW European / British Isle" prehistoric signal, so strong among many Irish and Scottish in particular, is so well identified not only by 23andMe, but by other companies. My FT-DNA "British Isle" actually correlates well to my 23andMe "British and Irish" result. It is clearly a well referenced, and distinguished signal in atDNA analysis for ancestry. Although strongest in Irish, Scottish, Welsh, and Cornish, it also appears in English, Dutch, French, even Scandinavian and South European results. Not because of recent British family admixture, but because it radiates from what we might the NW European Atlantic Seaboard (What we might call the West Atlantic seaboard Celtic), diminishing as you move away. It makes up 30 - 75% of English results - still a significant portion. For myself and my mother, it's in the 30's - but I'm pretty sure I've seen another SE English test on 23andMe that received even lower - with a huge percentage of "Broadly NW European". A case where 23andMe's computer bravely said "No".

I know I must seem like some sort of white nationalist on here, always promoting my "Englishness", but it has nothing to do with any silly notion of superiority or purity (I'm sure Judith would agree), but rather as a test on these commercial companies that claim that they can ascertain ancestry to that degree of certainty using autosomal DNA analysis. A test on European populations that were admixed more than 1000 years ago. It affects how descendants of such admixed populations should interpret their atDNA results. I really DO believe that autosomal DNA testing for ancestry is informative, and a good tool for understanding the movements of our ancestors in the past. However, I also feel that it wont improve if we continue to accept the exaggerations of commercial companies, made to increase revenue, and please their share holders. It'll get better, as we 1) build far better reference data sets 2) add ancient DNA, 3) improve our analysis programs and measure them against both known populations, and to an extent (while being wary of picking up bad habits), against other evidences such as haplogroup DNA, archaeology, linguistics, history, place-name, etc.

Now, as for haplogroup DNA - that has relative certainty. We just need to keep building up the data, both present day, and ancient. Haplogroup DNA can have awesome certainty.

AnnieD
12-04-2016, 08:16 PM
Most customers look at "Speculative" mode. They are saying it is a speculation.

Unaware of this, many customers have been, and continue to interpret their results far too literally. If for example, an American, Canadian, or Australian reads he or she is 40% British & Irish, 30% French & German, 20% Scandinavian, and 10% Southern European. They are inclined to believe this. In actual fact, they could in reality for example be of 100% SE English ancestry, over the previous 300 - 500 years.

I feel that the growing popularity of anthro-forums such as this, which attract not only population geneticists & genetic scientists but the day-hobbyists, DNA test consumer like myself, suggests that this is not wholly true. British / Irish admixture threads predominate at test forums such as 23andMe. Unfortunately, the average tester has only a few minutes to devote to interpreting their results & will filter in & out of a few threads and then move on. Knowledge does not always move forward at pace of scientific break-throughs. IMO, major commercial tests such as 23andMe & FTDNA should publish "model" or "sample" results for common test populations similar to TribeCode tests to alleviate a lot of the forum & customer service inquiries. I still remember how weird it was for me to see 60% British / Irish in my test results with nearly 100% British surnames in my family tree. LOL! :P

Also, I've seen several threads devoted to understanding conservative vs. spec mode test results. In contrast, however, you represent IMO a rare anomaly in American DNA test co. forums: a European of mostly regionalized heritage over many generations, at least as far back as 23andMe purports to measure, along with a very well-documented paper trail via old-fashioned pubic records. I have not observed anyone alleging you are a WN or other label because of this status. Ancestry.com's success, even without the genetic test, proves how popular genealogy is - people of all stripes desire to know their roots. I did not observe the fully "Iberian" OP on a 23andMe thread concerning how he couldn't believe he wasn't 100% Iberian attract any cries of racial extremity.

I still find your 23andme results unique for a European-English poster, albeit I have probably reviewed a fraction of existing B/I threads. You have the lowest B/I AC that I've seen thus far, & it may due to unique ancestry / admixture in East Anglia in regard to rest of Isles. Then you get a rather high S. Euro AC on other tests which is inconsistent with the invader populations assumed to predominate in E. Anglia. I get a kick out of how you, my father & me all wind up at Eurogenes K13 in SE English single mode. My father is only tested at FTDNA so I'll contrast those results: I vaguely recall that you got a notable % of British, Scandinavian & 30% S. Euro.
- Me: 85% British, 14% W. Central Euro, 5% Finnish / N. Siberian & 2% ME-Anatolian (yes, 101!).
- My father: 48% British, 47% Scandinavian & 5% ME-Anatolia.

Yet, we converge at a Eurogenes calculator with similar FSt, so how to interpret the timing, populations, etc? I think this creates plenty of ? that hopefully the newest DNA test, "Living DNA", will answer at least for British folks. :)

wombatofthenorth
12-04-2016, 11:21 PM
I feel that the growing popularity of anthro-forums such as this, which attract not only population geneticists & genetic scientists but the day-hobbyists, DNA test consumer like myself, suggests that this is not wholly true. British / Irish admixture threads predominate at test forums such as 23andMe. Unfortunately, the average tester has only a few minutes to devote to interpreting their results & will filter in & out of a few threads and then move on. Knowledge does not always move forward at pace of scientific break-throughs. IMO, major commercial tests such as 23andMe & FTDNA should publish "model" or "sample" results for common test populations similar to TribeCode tests to alleviate a lot of the forum & customer service inquiries. I still remember how weird it was for me to see 60% British / Irish in my test results with nearly 100% British surnames in my family tree. LOL! :P

Geno is the only one of the big four to do that. They do present context for the results and give sample reference populations results, many.

AnnieD
12-05-2016, 02:37 AM
Geno is the only one of the big four to do that. They do present context for the results and give sample reference populations results, many.

Murphy's law, I believe that Geno is the only commercial DNA tests that I have not taken. :D If I had started with that one, I wouldn't be tormenting you all on these threads. LOL!

Jessie
12-05-2016, 03:42 AM
Murphy's law, I believe that Geno is the only commercial DNA tests that I have not taken. :D If I had started with that one, I wouldn't be tormenting you all on these threads. LOL!

I haven't had Geno either but from what I've seen it would be very unsatisfactory to a lot of people as it gives very broad results e.g. Northern European, Mediterranean, Scandinavian. Possibly wombatofthenorth could correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to show what some Irish results look like from 23andMe here are my results and 3 other family members.

My results

94% British&Irish
2.6% French & German
3.4% Broadly Northwestern European
<0.1% Broadly European

Mother's results
91% British & Irish
4.6% French & German
4.0% Broadly Northwestern European
0.1% Broadly Southern European
0.3% Broadly European

Brother

96.8% British & Irish
3.0% Broadly Northwestern European
0.1% Broadly European
0.1% Unassigned

Daughter

92.5% British & Irish
3.9% French & German
3.3% Broadly Northwestern European
0.4% Broadly European

AnnieD
12-06-2016, 04:45 AM
I haven't had Geno either but from what I've seen it would be very unsatisfactory to a lot of people as it gives very broad results e.g. Northern European, Mediterranean, Scandinavian. Possibly wombatofthenorth could correct me if I'm wrong.

Just to show what some Irish results look like from 23andMe here are my results and 3 other family members.

My results

94% British&Irish
2.6% French & German
3.4% Broadly Northwestern European
<0.1% Broadly European

Mother's results
91% British & Irish
4.6% French & German
4.0% Broadly Northwestern European
0.1% Broadly Southern European
0.3% Broadly European

Brother

96.8% British & Irish
3.0% Broadly Northwestern European
0.1% Broadly European
0.1% Unassigned

Daughter

92.5% British & Irish
3.9% French & German
3.3% Broadly Northwestern European
0.4% Broadly European

Wow, your family's high British / Irish scores are very remarkable! B) I "jumped" from a whopping 60% to 62% B/I with the TNE conversion, so I still wonder what the heck my progenies were doing in the New World. :lol: Since I'm mostly 'broadly this' & 'broadly that' at 23andme, it sounds like I'm not missing anything by not taking the Geno test yet.

I will be really curious to see how you European British score on the new "Living DNA" test. It's really exciting to see another British entry into the DNA market as I did not find the Scotland's DNA test to be highly interpretive (very busy color graphs that were undecipherable in terms of population categories & widely inconsistent minor Ac compared to other commercial tests).

Jessie
12-06-2016, 05:10 AM
Wow, your family's high British / Irish scores are very remarkable! B) I "jumped" from a whopping 60% to 62% B/I with the TNE conversion, so I still wonder what the heck my progenies were doing in the New World. :lol: Since I'm mostly 'broadly this' & 'broadly that' at 23andme, it sounds like I'm not missing anything by not taking the Geno test yet.

I will be really curious to see how you European British score on the new "Living DNA" test. It's really exciting to see another British entry into the DNA market as I did not find the Scotland's DNA test to be highly interpretive (very busy color graphs that were undecipherable in terms of population categories & widely inconsistent minor Ac compared to other commercial tests).

We aren't even on the new platform and I'm not sure if 23andMe are going to ever upgrade some of the non-US participants from the old site. Yes I'm really looking forward to the results from LivingDNA. Lucky we all have something new to look forward to on the dna front. :)

SheaJukes
01-29-2017, 05:06 PM
Hello, just sharing some of my info 23andme analysis, these are the only ones that registered all others were 0%. mtDNA T1a1
50% speculative level
100% European
98.2% Northwestern European
British/Irish 77.2%
French/German 7.5%
Scandinavian 0.4%
Broadly Western European 13.5%

1.2% Southern European
Iberian 0.9%
Broadly Southern European 0.3%

<0.1% Ashkenazi Jewish
0.6% Broadly European

Tightened up to 90% conservative it goes to
98.3% European
Northwestern European 73.3%
British/Irish 15.3%
Broadly Northwestern European 58.1%

24.9% Broadly European
1.7% Unassigned

As an aside 306 Neanderthal traits.

Garimund
01-30-2017, 12:04 AM
Here's my results as an American of predominately English ancestry:

European 99.2%

NW European 96.9%
British & Irish 65.4%
French & German 6.2%
Scandinavian 1.1%
Broadly NW European 24.1%

Broadly Southern European 1.4%

Broadly European 0.9%

SSA 0.8

star rider
01-31-2017, 03:48 PM
My 23 and me results Paternal Haplo I=M253

Northwestern European
45.9%
British & Irish
32.2%
French & German
3.2%
Scandinavian
0.5%
Broadly Northwestern European
10.0%
Southern European
1.1%
Iberian
< 0.1%
Broadly Southern European
1.1%
Broadly European
1.1%

Maternal Haplo A5a1a1

East Asian & Native American
51.3%
East Asian
51.3%
Japanese
48.9%
Korean
1.6%
Broadly East Asian
0.8%
Broadly East Asian & Native American
< 0.1%

and for grins

Edward's
Neanderthal variants
This is more than
81% of 23andMe Customers

LOL

jpb
01-31-2017, 04:11 PM
I am about 3/8 Colonial English (New England and Virginia mostly), 1/4 Recent German, 1/8 Colonial German, 3/16 Colonial Scots-Irish, and 1/16 Recent Irish.

So, based on paper trail ad not taking the broad categories into consideration, I should be around 62% British and Irish, and 38% French and German, but some of my German, I believe, is Danish, Polish, and Ashkenazi too.

My results were:

European 100.0%
Northwestern European 92.5%
British and Irish 33.6%
French and German 15.3%
Scandinavian 6.0%
Broadly Northwestern European 37.5%
Ashkenazi Jewish 1.3%
Eastern European 1.1%
Southern European 0.8%
Broadly Southern European 0.8%
Broadly European 4.3%
Unassigned <0.1%

WilliamAllan
01-31-2017, 04:35 PM
Results from another American of predominantly Isles ancestry (including Irish):

European 100%

NW European 98.5%

British & Irish 66.7%

French & German 12.5%

Broadly NW European 19.3%

Southern European 0.5%

Eastern European 0.3%

Broadly European 0.7%

drouhin
02-04-2017, 12:42 AM
My father has 100% British Isles ancestry. Born in England, ancestry is 7/8 Irish and 1/8 English:

European 100%

Northwest European 97.5%

British and Irish 89.2%

Scandinavian 0.8%

Broadly Northwest European 7.5%

Southern European 2.0%

Broadly European 0.5%

Calas
02-04-2017, 01:44 AM
Myself - British, Scottish, Irish, Welsh mix. No known non-British ancestors within oh some few hundred years.

British & Irish - 79.2%
French & German - 3.5%
Scandinavian - 0.3%
Broad NW - 11.7%
South E. - 1.6%
Iberian - 1.4%
Finn - 1.2%
Ashkenazi 0.4%
Broad European 0.5%
North African 0.1%

Dad - more Irish / Scottish ancestry

British & Irish - 90.9%
French & German - 3.2%
Broad NW - 4.9%
Broad European 0.8%
Unknown 0.2%

Mum - more northern Welsh / generic British ancestry

British & Irish - 64.6%
French & German - 5.3%
Scandinavian - 3.6%
Broadly/Nonspecific Northern European - 21.1%
South E. - 2.8%
Broadly European - 1.2%
Iberian - 0.8%
Ashkenazi 0.5%
North African 0.1%

Really makes you wonder who I got the 1.2% Finn I picked up. Some who-knows ancestor.

sktibo
02-07-2017, 03:17 AM
Myself - British, Scottish, Irish, Welsh mix. No known non-British ancestors within oh some few hundred years.

British & Irish - 79.2%
French & German - 3.5%
Scandinavian - 0.3%
Broad NW - 11.7%
South E. - 1.6%
Iberian - 1.4%
Finn - 1.2%
Ashkenazi 0.4%
Broad European 0.5%
North African 0.1%

Dad - more Irish / Scottish ancestry

British & Irish - 90.9%
French & German - 3.2%
Broad NW - 4.9%
Broad European 0.8%
Unknown 0.2%

Mum - more northern Welsh / generic British ancestry

British & Irish - 64.6%
French & German - 5.3%
Scandinavian - 3.6%
Broadly/Nonspecific Northern European - 21.1%
South E. - 2.8%
Broadly European - 1.2%
Iberian - 0.8%
Ashkenazi 0.5%
North African 0.1%

Really makes you wonder who I got the 1.2% Finn I picked up. Some who-knows ancestor.

A common theme I've noticed is that people from Scotland often get a tiny bit of Finnish/ Northern Scandinavia. I'd bet it comes from your Scotland.

Jessie
02-07-2017, 03:34 AM
A common theme I've noticed is that people from Scotland often get a tiny bit of Finnish/ Northern Scandinavia. I'd bet it comes from your Scotland.

I've seen it in a few Irish results as well. Some Irish even get small amounts of East Asia and NA on 23andMe. Something ancient no doubt.

sktibo
02-07-2017, 03:36 AM
I've seen it in a few Irish results as well. Some Irish even get small amounts of East Asia and NA on 23andMe. Something ancient no doubt.

That is very interesting. Makes sense though, if those Scottish cousins of yours have it, it makes sense that you folks would too.

Jessie
02-07-2017, 03:47 AM
That is very interesting. Makes sense though, if those Scottish cousins of yours have it, it makes sense that you folks would too.

Just looking and there are quite a few that have really high amounts of B&I with tiny percentages of East Asian & NA. I've never noticed that before until I've looked. One even had Mongolian and another Japanese (only in tiny amounts). I'm guessing it must be related to ANE as that seems the most logical. Yes Finnish is reasonably common in small amounts.

One interesting side effect of 23andMe moving people to the new platform is that most of my relatives now are fully Irish so I have a lot with the very high amounts of B&I. I'm still on the old platform along with all the other international rejects. :)

ADW_1981
02-07-2017, 04:01 AM
Only 2 generations removed from England

On v2 and v3 platform at 23andMe

Father side is (v2-v3)
53%-53% British/Irish

Mother's side is
50%-43% British/Irish

So much of the ancestry falls into a non-specific NW European bucket and her v3 results look a tad screwy. I will be curious how this translates at LivingDNA.

deadly77
02-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Here's my 23ndme in speculative mode. All my known paper genealogy within the British Isles.

66.9% British and Irish
9.5% French and German
3.4% Scandinavian
18.6% Broadly Northwestern European
0.4% Broadly Southern European
1.2% Broadly European

Calas
02-07-2017, 11:10 AM
Here's a relative.

British & Irish - 59.5%
French & German - 5.8%
Scandinavian - 2.6%
Broadly/Nonspecific Northern European - 23.2%
Southern European - 3.2%
Broadly European - 2.1%
Ashkenazi 1.1%

South Asian - 2.4%

chelle
02-07-2017, 11:51 AM
Just looking and there are quite a few that have really high amounts of B&I with tiny percentages of East Asian & NA. I've never noticed that before until I've looked. One even had Mongolian and another Japanese (only in tiny amounts). I'm guessing it must be related to ANE as that seems the most logical. Yes Finnish is reasonably common in small amounts.

One interesting side effect of 23andMe moving people to the new platform is that most of my relatives now are fully Irish so I have a lot with the very high amounts of B&I. I'm still on the old platform along with all the other international rejects. :)

I was still on the old platform until last week. Not quite sure which category I fell under as far as their system. When I ordered my test it was shipped to a U.S. territory, not a state. I ordered one for my mother and had it shipped to her address in the states. Both just got switched to the new site. Meanwhile, my fathers test was also sent to his address in the states and was changed to the new site a few months ago. Maybe it really is just a crap shoot as to when it gets updated. If it makes you feel any better, I agree with most people about the old site being easier to navigate.