PDA

View Full Version : deCODEme accounts will be permanently closed on January 01 2015

Jean M
09-30-2014, 05:50 PM
Just had this in email. User accounts will be accessible through December 31 2014. Must remember to download all the reports.

Gary Corbett
10-01-2014, 01:58 AM
Just saw this,ya beat me to it.
There was only 1 update,after all this time.
Info is pretty dated.
Wonder if they are getting out all together or just doing something else?

GTC
10-01-2014, 03:06 AM
I had all but forgotten about deCODEme. The writing was on the wall for them back in 2010. Here's a summary of how things went off the rails:

http://www.newsweek.com/can-decode-biotech-star-gone-bust-come-back-75021

warwick
10-01-2014, 04:14 AM
I had all but forgotten about deCODEme. The writing was on the wall for them back in 2010. Here's a summary of how things went off the rails:

http://www.newsweek.com/can-decode-biotech-star-gone-bust-come-back-75021

My wager is that they prefer to do basic research. In that department, they are far, far superior to 23andme, because they had that mission from the very beginning.

dp
12-19-2014, 09:51 PM
As it is getting near the end of the year I thought that this thread should be brought higher in the Activity Stream.
dp :-)

DMXX
12-25-2014, 02:13 PM
Good thinking David!

My wager is that they prefer to do basic research. In that department, they are far, far superior to 23andme, because they had that mission from the very beginning.

You're right on the money. deCODEme has literally withdrawn from the personal genomics business but will continue to operate as a research entity. If I remember correctly, they're moving into medical genetics research. The compacted population structure of Icelandic people makes them a great candidate population for GWAS, which is still a crucial part of medical genetics.

Erik
12-25-2014, 03:52 PM
Wasn't that the test that called people "European-American"?

Jean M
12-26-2014, 06:35 PM
Wasn't that the test that called people "European-American"?

No. deCODEme is a European firm. Only a firm catering solely to customers in the US would be at all likely to assume that its customers are all Americans. deCODEme certainly didn't.