PDA

View Full Version : No DNA in Saliva...what to do?

Grossvater
10-04-2014, 02:50 AM
I recently had 23andMe test my mother but twice now, they have not been able to extract any DNA from her samples. They say there is nothing more that they can do. Surely this is not true?

Little bit
10-04-2014, 10:37 AM
My husband tested twice at 23andme and failed both. They wouldn't send a third test for him but I cajoled them into sending a third for my son to test instead. My son's test went fine and about a year later, 23andme offered a sale and my husband tried yet again and it worked. This past spring he did a test for AncestryDNA and that worked too, first try. Hope you can get this to work out. :)

alan
10-04-2014, 02:00 PM
My husband tested twice at 23andme and failed both. They wouldn't send a third test for him but I cajoled them into sending a third for my son to test instead. My son's test went fine and about a year later, 23andme offered a sale and my husband tried yet again and it worked. This past spring he did a test for AncestryDNA and that worked too, first try. Hope you can get this to work out. :)

You must have been worried you had been married to an android all these years lol

rms2
10-04-2014, 02:33 PM
I recently had 23andMe test my mother but twice now, they have not been able to extract any DNA from her samples. They say there is nothing more that they can do. Surely this is not true?

Have you had her tested with FTDNA? Perhaps a cheek scraping will work where saliva failed.

BuffGeniusGuy
10-04-2014, 05:25 PM
If she happens to have dentures that can also interfere with obtaining DNA. I believe cheek swabs do tend to have better success than saliva though.

Grossvater
10-04-2014, 07:58 PM
You must have been worried you had been married to an android all these years lol

How do you think I feel finding out after all these years that my mother is an alien without human DNA...hmmm...it does explain a few things, though.

VinceT
10-05-2014, 02:23 AM
https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/202904520-Assisted-Collection-Kits
(https://customercare.23andme.com/hc/en-us/articles/202904520-Assisted-Collection-Kits)
Note that it is not actually the saliva that is being tested, but the buccal cell particulate contained therein, which should be visible when the tube is back-lit or held in front of a light piece of paper. If the spitter has consumed hot liquids within hours prior to spitting, the cells needed for testing may have been washed away and swallowed, resulting in nearly pure saliva. Certain types of medication can also reduce buccal cell regeneration, requiring a more aggressive means of collection such as a scraping.

ilmari
10-06-2014, 08:46 AM
I purchased a brand new toothbrush for my mom after an initial fail at 23andMe, since she had trouble with even making saliva.

The brushing of her cheeks and gums made for high quality sputum with lots of cells in it.

I suggest this for everyone.

Simply have them do some semi aggressive brushing of the inside of the cheek, then suck off the brush and then spit before swallowing any of it.

Wait for the bubbles to pop and repeat until it's full and has zero bubbles in it.