PDA

View Full Version : New SNP Panel Testing from FTDNA

Mark D
10-15-2014, 03:43 PM
While many who follow this forum are also in the FTDNA DF27 project and receive emails to the project members, for those who are not, I'll copy here an email I just sent to project members,

" Good morning,

Not being a project administrator, I rely on reports from those of you who are on advancements in DNA testing. Roberta Estes has, on her blog, a very comprehensive report on this past weekend's FTDNA administrators' conference in Houston. With her permission, I quote from her report on what FTDNA is planning for further SNP testing,

"Haplogroup administrators are going to be heavily involved in this process. Family Tree DNA is putting SNP panels together that will help further define the tree and where various SNPs that have been recently discovered, and continue to be discovered, will fall on the tree.

As Big Y tests arrive, haplogroup project administrators typically assemble a spreadsheet of the SNPS and provisionally where they fall on the tree, based on the Big Y results.

What Bennett asked is for the admins to work with Family Tree DNA to assemble a testing panel based on those results. The goal is for the cost to be between $1.50 and $2 (US) for each SNP in the panel, which will reduce the one-off SNP testing and provide a much more complete and productive result at a far reduced price as compared to the current $29 or $39 per individual SNP.

If you are a haplogroup administrator, get in touch with Family Tree DNA to discuss your desired backbone panels. New panels, when it’s your turn, will take about 2 weeks to develop.

Keep in mind that the following SNPs, according to Bennett, are not optimal for panels:
•Palindromic regions
•Often mutating regions designated as .1, .2, etc.
•SNPs in STRs"

I'm interested in pursuing further testing if that might reveal placement of the numerous SNPs found in BigY on the DF27 tree. I share 31 novel variants under L176.2 with only one other BigY participant and would very much like to see if any of these are reliable and what they might reveal in the scheme of things. I would also be willing to contribute to additional tests that might help the project administrators in understanding the DF27 phylogeny generally. Please let me know how I can assist.

Mark
n22555 "