PDA

View Full Version : Will Humans Eventually All Look Like Brazilians?

AJL
09-22-2012, 02:47 PM
http://www.livescience.com/23277-will-humans-eventually-all-look-like-brazilians.html

MikeWhalen
09-22-2012, 03:08 PM
fun article, thx!

AJL
09-22-2012, 03:18 PM
My pleasure! If you google "blue Fugates" you should get some photos of the family members.

scottraveler
09-22-2012, 03:20 PM
The closing sentences of the article suggested Brazil as convergent point of future with Europeans, Africans, native Americans in the mix. Asians were left out; yet they consist of largest segment of world population.

AJL
09-22-2012, 03:38 PM
I guess some Caribbean peoples who also have Asian input (e.g. Guyanese or Trinidadians) might have been a slightly better choice than Brazilians.

scottraveler
09-22-2012, 03:56 PM
I guess some Caribbean peoples who also have Asian input (e.g. Guyanese or Trinidadians) might have been a slightly better choice than Brazilians.

Probably. However, there are East Asians, Indian sub-continent Asians, and even more Asian varieties. I should have been more specific. In back of my mind I remember an image and article by some scientist actually trying to proportionally mix the phenotype features of the world's peoples to produce the terminal man.

DMXX
09-23-2012, 04:13 AM
I should hope not.

Not that there is anything inherently wrong with resembling Brazilians (who are often lauded as some of the most attractive people in the circles I run through).

I appreciate the diversity found among humans and think it would be a huge shame if that distinctness in diversity is lost.

However, I wouldn't say it's a sure bet that all future humans will fit the Brazilian phenotype spectrum at some point given the ancestral components will be far more numerous than the (generalised) European-West African-Amerindian three way combination most Brazilians fit into.

AJL
09-24-2012, 05:18 PM
Very true. In any event there's also plenty of phenotypic diversity within each of these groups. Many differences in phenotype are down to epigenetics and environment, as well.

(I've had fun playing with the pigmentation comparison on 23andme, and there's often wide discrepancies between people whose profile pictures appear similar or who have similar national/geo-ethnic origins.)

Alanson
01-27-2016, 05:49 AM
It won't happen. Race-mixing is often is exaggerated, nothing is wrong with it of course. However most people usually go to their own group for the most part. Sometimes such mixing might eventually appear back to. For example in mixed families you can run the gamut from Native American, African and to European like some isolated pockets in the Southeast U.S. or even in Britain their was one twin that is black and white. The answer that would not happen any time soon. However as we are being globalized that might be possible. I don't care if my race is mixed, but I am mixed race person already in a way.

DMXX
01-27-2016, 01:54 PM
Another additional point which I learned two years after the preceding post of mine - Either an anthropological or sociological source I read in late 2014/early 2015 revealed that the majority of people (~80% from memory) display in-group preference when it comes to spouse selection. I cannot remember how this preference was identified (ethnic endogamy? Societal/cultural norm conformance?).

Nonetheless, it does make the proposition that all human phenotypes would be reduced to a set of physically identifiable "Brazilian-like types" where the constituent sources (West Eurasian, Sub Saharan and East Eurasian to comply with the outdated tripolar anthropological paradigm) a very unlikely one.

Thanks to globalisation-induced continental migration and the gradual shift in numerous societies away from ethnic homogeneity, the number of "mixed" individuals will surely increase with time... Doesn't mean humanity's phenotype spectrum would be homogenized as a result of this. I don't see any reasonable mechanism by which that would happen in the next millennia, with the exception of an already mostly phenotypically "triracial"* population surviving a major cataclysmic future event at the expense of the rest of us (luck? A chance mutation in a Brazilian favela granting a small related group some degree of immunity from a future pathogen? Speculation speculation).

* Quotations used because I don't have much esteem for the outdated tripolar paradigm, as discussed above.

evon
01-27-2016, 02:22 PM
Unlikely, I have seen so called "recessive" traits dominate again and again in Norway, so I would say we will continue to be diverse even if we all started mixing like there was no tomorrow...

AJL
01-27-2016, 03:08 PM
Another additional point which I learned two years after the preceding post of mine - Either an anthropological or sociological source I read in late 2014/early 2015 revealed that the majority of people (~80% from memory) display in-group preference when it comes to spouse selection. I cannot remember how this preference was identified (ethnic endogamy? Societal/cultural norm conformance?).

I remember Ann Turner quoting a similar study from the US that suggested that (apart from HLA compatibility) spouses tend to be more genetically similar than not. This might have to do with socioeconomic circles, I'm not sure.

rocky
08-10-2016, 01:30 AM
Great Article thanks for Sharing.

RCO
08-10-2016, 11:22 AM
Brazilians are the most diverse bunch of people in the world, I think. We have been probably the population with the biggest internal growth in the last centuries derived from a relatively small and diverse local or immigrated base, but all phenotypes and all diversity also has been kept and increased among all the admixtures.