PDA

View Full Version : What next?

Adrian Stevenson
10-30-2014, 01:12 PM
Hi Guys, I tested with Britains DNA earlier this year. Very pleased with the results etc.

I am keen to take things further if at all possible.

What would you do next?

Cheers, Ade.

Salkin
10-30-2014, 01:24 PM
Well, in what direction would you like to take them further? If you want to go in-depth with your Y-DNA I'd say you want FTDNA, or possibly spring for FGC's Y Elite right away.

For mtDNA, FTDNA's mtFullSequence is probably the way to go. While you do get mtDNA sequencing from BIG Y and Y Elite too, it's apparently not quite as reliable as dedicated mito sequencing.

If you want to dig deeper into your autosomal DNA, which appears to be the weakest part of Chromo2, you could go for either 23andMe or for FTDNA's Family Finder. Definitely FTDNA if genealogy is your main objective. 23andMe is a bit more all-round and appears to have the best ethnicity analysis (Ancestry Composition) currently. Both products allow you to download your raw autosomal and X data to feed into various third-party tools like GEDmatch (various ethnicity calculators, eye colour prediction, genealogical matches across the boundaries between different labs), Promethease (health report), etc.

Finally, if you're mostly after a "second opinion" on your BritainsDNA results, you could go for Geno 2.0. That would also allow you to transfer your results (but only Y-DNA and mtDNA SNP calls) to FTDNA, and they can then perform further testing of the sample you sent in, since FTDNA's lab is doing the lab work for NatGeo anyway.

Adrian Stevenson
11-02-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I have thought of testing with FTDNA. The genetic genealogy bit is something I do have a small interest in. But I don't hold out a great deal of hope on that. Being in the UK it seems few people test compared with those in the USA. If I do join, I will certainly do it via the Stevenson surname project and go straight for 111 markers. In for a penny in for a pound as they say....

I may give Family Finder a go first.

My real dream (like most of us I guess) would be to tie down my Y DNA results to a tribe and a given location.

Cheers, Ade.

authun
11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Well if you are I1, you've already had a lot more luck than many who find that they are somewhere in that huge group of R1bs. So, be thankful for small mercies.

It's unlikely that you will get down to a tribe. Germanic, whether northern or western, change their names frequently, but you might get back to rough geographic locations.

I'm P109 and live in Yorkshire but we had little to do with danelaw settlers, the paper trail suggests we came from the March of Flanders in the 12th century. Genetics is fast food for genealogists. It's full of stuff that you don't want or need and can be bad for your health.

Having said that researching paper trails is a lot more costly.

Erik
11-08-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the input, much appreciated.

I have thought of testing with FTDNA. The genetic genealogy bit is something I do have a small interest in. But I don't hold out a great deal of hope on that. Being in the UK it seems few people test compared with those in the USA. If I do join, I will certainly do it via the Stevenson surname project and go straight for 111 markers. In for a penny in for a pound as they say....

My real dream (like most of us I guess) would be to tie down my Y DNA results to a tribe and a given location.

Cheers, Ade.

That sounds like the best way to go. If you were in the US, I would recommend AncestryDNA but FTDNA is still great.

dp
11-08-2014, 05:01 PM
Genetics is fast food for genealogists. It's full of stuff that you don't want or need and can be bad for your health.

Having said that researching paper trails is a lot more costly.
Many people simply do not have a paper trail to follow. The reasons vary. A county court house within 5 miles of my house was burned down in 1830 and 1862. Another one about 35 miles away, was burned down the third time in the 1860s. My people lived a similar distance to the former and about 10 miles away from the second. Hence, even my best paper trail, deriving from the court house 10 miles away (the one for my county), has breaks in its records.
Some people just seem to appear in the record trail. I've been researching 30 years and I still don't know the surname of one great-great grandmother. The paper trail on at least two others basically starts when they got married so I cannot delve any further into their past.
Another complication is known illegitimacy --which impacts my tree in the mid to late 19th century.
I think all of my research "happy dances" in the last 10-15 years are due to finding out deep ancestors, not the closer ones. At least three of these "new" ancestors were from the early 1700s, in the case of the former two I was looking something else at the time and had to re-read the documents to see the connection.
Autosomal Genetics can, and in my case has, (fairly conclusively) proved connections that otherwise cannot be made. It may be tedious to figure out how of is related to ones genetic matches but the fact remains you are starting off with the fact that you are related. One technique, that I use, is to test members on both sides of your family, preferably parents. At least for very close matches, when you get the case the only one parent matches the person then you know the connection is on that particular side of the family. I had a genetic match, but a murky paper trail. I tested my mom and paternal uncle (as proxy to my father). Mom was not a match, my uncle was --and to an larger extent to myself. This proved the connection was on my paternal side of the family, and helped verify the trail.
One less expensive, but just as valuable, was the instance I posted on the "Happy Dance thread (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3380-Happy-Dance-thread-for-when-you-actually-find-paper-trail!&p=57511&viewfull=1#post57511)." Genetics proved by father and my maternal grandfather were related. This was not a foregone conclusion from the paper trail. Though there could be alternate ways, at present the ancestor I mentioned seems to be the connection.
Also, mtGenome and Y-SNP (and to some extent STR) testing are good to DISPROVE errant connections, thus saving people from wasting time and effort in following red herrings in the paper trail.
As NGS testing advances I think Y-DNA will prove connections never thought of, due to surname changes, etc.
Later,
dp :-)
PS: sorry Ade...off topic for what you started the thread.

dp
11-08-2014, 05:23 PM
After you do that think about uploading your results to GEDmatch. That way you can see who you may match no matter if they tested with FamilyTreeDNA, 23andme, or Ancestry. I've been working on a line and noticed that basically 1/3rd of the matches are from each company. I also like that you can, if you have a very private relative, place a kit as research so it doesn't appear in other's one-to-many listings.

Well I'm not that far. I don't trust my surname to indicate such origins. When the Y-DNA haplogroups coalesce --which is different than MRCA-- and where, would determine the possibilities for tribes, clans, etc. (in their language, ethnicity, etc.)
later,
dp :-)

authun
11-08-2014, 07:33 PM
Many people simply do not have a paper trail to follow.

Of course paper trails are very patchy and illegitimacy, or in future AID, will cause further headaches.

However, given that people are unlikely to 'find tribes' in their past, whatever you can find in a paper trail has personal interest. I am P109, but am I a Geat, or a Jute, or a Fleming or a Norman which is what the english called us?

And of course, one can do both. They are not mutually exclusive. Often minor things turn out to be of great interest.

But I agree, the loss of most WW1 war records is a blow to my research into my grandfather's role in the Great War. Fortunately, I know he was in the 1st/4th East Yorks so I can reconstruct some of it.

Adrian Stevenson
11-21-2016, 08:23 PM
Been a while since I updated this thread. Work and family commitments etc.

So today I have finally purchased a Family Finder kit from FTDNA as it was discounted by $40 ;)

I will post my results once I have them.

Cheers, Ade.

A Norfolk L-M20
11-21-2016, 08:51 PM
Look forward to seeing the results Adrian. Do you know much of your family history and recorded ancestry in terms of paper trail?

Adrian Stevenson
11-21-2016, 09:13 PM
I am very fortunate in that the paper trail on my direct Stevenson line is pretty strong, mainly due to the family living in or around Ruddington, just south of Nottingham, since the late 1500's. My paternal Grandmothers family are once again from Notts. Taking her direct maternal line I can go to 5th Great Grandmother. I got my Dad to test his MTDNA line so I could find out my Grandma's Haplogroup and this came out as H1t. Had this confirmed via a female Canadian Cousin who tested with 23 and Me.

On my Mum's side of the family I can go back to my 6th Great Maternal Grandmother tracing the direct female line. Once again they all come from Nottinghamshire. My maternal Grandfather's family (Surname of Higgs) originally came from the Bristol area, later moving to Notts in 1902.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
11-21-2016, 09:30 PM
This is my autosomal data from Britains DNA.

A Norfolk L-M20
11-21-2016, 09:40 PM
Just because I'm interested particularly in finding other English, with known deep local ancestry, may I ask, any record of any Irish, Welsh, Scottish, Cornish - or any known non English in the paper record at all? I'm very East Anglian, and SE English. However, there are so very few English testers with no family history of other. Some autosomal indicators give me a lot of Southern European. Other English have reported this. On ancient DNA tests, we also often score slightly low Ancient North Eurasian, and slightly high Early Neolithic Farmer compared with Irish, Scottish, or Scandinavians. Some suggest that this originates in late prehistory with unknown migration from the south, or perhaps Romano-British. Others including Dienekes suggests medieval French admixture. It might not affect you so much in Nottinghamshire, it'll be very interesting to see. FT-DNA Family Finder My Origins is pretty quirky on Europeans. I scored 32% Southern European though. I hope to see your results.

Paul

Adrian Stevenson
11-21-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi Paul, no Irish, Scots, Welsh or Cornish in my tree. (Although we now have a Scottish Stevenson branch of the family care of my Great Uncle Dennis Stevenson, who moved to Hawick after the war) We are very Nottingham centric.

Cheers, Ade.

JMcB
11-22-2016, 12:49 AM
Hello Adrian,

Good luck with your search! As a fellow I1 member, I'm looking forward to seeing your results. Unfortunately, since Nordtvedt retired there doesn't seem to be lot going on as far as I1 research is concerned. Be that as it may, with the help of some coupons and the points on my credit card, I finally took a leap or faith and purchased a BigY test. Hopefully, it'll help me figure out how my forefathers arrived in Galloway.

If not now, perhaps in the future sometime.

Regards, John

Adrian Stevenson
11-22-2016, 06:37 PM
Hi John, I look forwards to seeing your results too.

Cheers, Ade.

11-22-2016, 06:47 PM

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Adrian, allot of the Brits and Irish People with this heritage on here have purchased the LivingDNA test, which claims to show with high resolution which part of these sceptered Isles you come from. As well as looking deep into your haplogroups and origins.

JMcB
11-22-2016, 08:09 PM
Hi Adrian, allot of the Brits and Irish People with this heritage on here have purchased the LivingDNA test, which claims to show with high resolution which part of these sceptered Isles you come from. As well as looking deep into your haplogroups and origins.

I've also taken that test and I'm awaiting it's results with anticipation. And I have a feeling that I'll probably learn more from my LivingDna test than I will from BigY, which I think will take a lot more deciphering. Nevertheless, I will gladly post whatever comes to light.

Adrian Stevenson
11-22-2016, 08:25 PM
I have been reading the thread on the new Living DNA test and I am waiting to see what kind of results come in. I may well take the plunge on this.

Cheers, Ade.

JMcB
11-22-2016, 09:20 PM
I have been reading the thread on the new Living DNA test and I am waiting to see what kind of results come in. I may well take the plunge on this.

Cheers, Ade.

I have a feeling once they start rolling in, we'll be seeing a lot of posts with people's results and impressions. Hopefully, it won't be long now.

Adrian Stevenson
11-25-2016, 09:55 PM
Signed up to Ancestry's test today too as it was £30 off ;)

Cheers, Ade.

rms2
11-25-2016, 10:41 PM
Signed up to Ancestry's test today too as it was £30 off ;)

Cheers, Ade.

I think you'll be happy with it.

Adrian Stevenson
12-03-2016, 08:46 AM
Just done my Ancestry kit, so I am off to the postbox!

Cheers, Ade.

rms2
12-03-2016, 02:07 PM
Just done my Ancestry kit, so I am off to the postbox!

Cheers, Ade.

Please let us know how your results come out. Hope you get them speedily!

JMcB
12-06-2016, 07:57 PM

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Ade, et al.

Well, my BigY results came in a lot faster than I would have thought (2weeks). And while I'm still trying to get a handle on things, I'll tell you what I know. My terminal SNP is Y7623 which has a TMRCA of 1150 ybp. Which advances my timeline a considerable amount from what my predicted SNP was (Y3649 @ 2700 ybp) and from what Ken Nordtvedt's STR based estimate was at the end of 2015 (400 BC).

I have 48 Novel Variants and 31 matches with half of those in the 0 -2 step range. Although, I'm not sure how much weight I can be put on that. What is interesting to me is that 26% of my matches are from Norway & Sweden and the rest look to be primarily from the British Isles. Except for two from Germany and one from France.

While I was expecting a Scandinavian/Germanic connection of one degree or the other. My STR markers led me to believe that it would come from the southern branch of I1 (Danish/Germanic) Although again, I'm not sure how much weight I can put on that.

One thing I do find confusing about my SNP designation, is that yFull seems to have Y7623 contained within L234 - if I'm stating that correctly - but FTDNA has me as testing positive for Y7623 and negative for L234. With L234 being downstream from Y7623. Perhaps someone who knows more about it would kindly explain that to me.

https://yfull.com/tree/I-L234/

Anyway, there you go. I hope it's of some kind of interest.

Regards - john

Adrian Stevenson
12-10-2016, 09:56 AM
Hi John, thanks for posting your results. Always interesting to read how these turn out.

Ancestry have received my kit. Still waiting for my FTDNA kit to turn up from the States.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-10-2016, 02:00 PM
Well I spoke too soon! My FTDNA has just been delivered. So I will do the test kit in the morning and post it off on Monday.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 10:53 AM
My Ancestry DNA results are in. Very pleased with the service given I did not post off the kit until Dec 8th.

So here are my results! 100% European.

A great Xmas present. :biggrin1:

Going to have to work through the possible matches, but the top one confirms a known 3rd Cousin in NZ.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 10:57 AM
Here is the map with trace elements shown

Judith
12-26-2016, 10:58 AM
Hi Adrian Please post to GEDmatch at your convenience. I do not think that we are related but you would make a great local control for me in aDNA. If you do not want to post your GEDmatch number could you please PM me. Thanks very much. Judith

Adrian Stevenson
12-26-2016, 11:02 AM
I would be happy to help. Off to my Daughters now but once done I will post it up!

Adrian Stevenson
12-27-2016, 01:21 PM
Hi Judith, I have just uploaded my DNA data and family tree to Gedmatch.

My tree can be found at 8213283

My dna data is at A672292 but has not been processed fully yet.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-27-2016, 07:54 PM
Now signed up with livingdna too. Added my Uncle too so I can find out my maternal Granddad's Haplogroup.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
01-10-2017, 07:53 PM
Update: mine and my Uncle's kits have been received.

My FTDNA kit is now batched and is in batch 711.

Adrian Stevenson
01-13-2017, 10:29 PM
Mine and my Uncle's LivingDNA kits have gone to the testing stage with a predicted completion date of April 5th.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
01-19-2017, 10:11 PM
Just got my Family Finder results from FTDNA:

JMcB
01-20-2017, 12:29 AM
Just got my Family Finder results from FTDNA:

Hello Ade,

Congratulations on getting your test results back. Coincidentally, we have the exact same percentages. At least, on this this portion of the test.

Regards,
John

Adrian Stevenson
03-16-2017, 09:54 PM
Got my LivingDNA results in early! They came through today. I will start a new thread in the LivingDNA forum with the results.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
03-26-2017, 11:34 AM
Here is a little chart I have made to show my lineage. Row "A" is me.

My next target is the one I have coloured purple. I want to test my Uncle. This would give me the results for my Maternal Great Grandfathers Y DNA line. Surname of Ghent and once again Nottinghamshire based.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
04-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Just got back from WDYTYA show.

I have splashed out on BIG Y. :biggrin1: Turns out I had a unused sample with FTDNA left from my Family Finder test, so I don't need to send in a fresh sample.

Cheers, Ade.

A Norfolk L-M20
04-06-2017, 08:35 PM
Just got back from WDYTYA show.

I have splashed out on BIG Y. :biggrin1: Turns out I had a unused sample with FTDNA left from my Family Finder test, so I don't need to send in a fresh sample.

Cheers, Ade.

I got 4 tests out of one sample sent to Ft-DNA including Y111, Big Y, Family Finder, and Full Sequence mtDNA. It does cut waiting time. All tests were ready before predicted date as well.

Adrian Stevenson
04-08-2017, 06:22 PM
Hi Paul, not got a completion date as of yet, but looking forwards to marking up my calendar.

I have applied to join the Stevenson Y dna Surname project.

https://www.familytreedna.com/groups/stevenson/about

Seems like a lot of us our Haplogroup I.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
04-27-2017, 06:26 PM
Just ordered Family Finder for both my Mum and Dad while the sale is still on. As they had already both got samples in storage, there will be no waiting around shipping back and forth across the Atlantic.

Should be fun to do some calculations are see what bits of DNA I got from whom.

Cheers, Ade.

JMcB
04-27-2017, 07:18 PM
Here is the map with trace elements shown

Hello Ade,

How are you? Speaking of Ancestry, I was wondering how your Genetic Communities turned out. If I remember correctly, they rolled it out sometime after you got your results and I'm curious to know what you thought.

Adrian Stevenson
04-28-2017, 05:36 AM
Hi, they got it right! Here is a screen shot of the map.

Cheers, Ade.

JMcB
04-28-2017, 03:16 PM
Hi, they got it right! Here is a screen shot of the map.

Cheers, Ade.

As they say on Time Team: Brilliant!

I have to say, that's a very interesting feature they've come up with. So much so, they lured me into buying one of their kits during the recent sale.

Adrian Stevenson
04-30-2017, 09:09 AM
My wife has now bought an Ancestry test. She first tested with Britain's DNA back in 2014.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-03-2017, 06:10 AM
My FTDNA 12 marker results came in today (they run this first, then Big Y afterwards) They have correctly predicted my Haplogroup as I M253. My next set of results are due on June 28th.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Woke up to discover my Big Y results have come in a month early!

Before my terminal SNP was Z59 / S246.

I am now I S26361.

My goal has always been to try and determine where my paternal ancestors came from. Given that I M253 could be Anglo - Saxon or Danish Viking in origin, due to the same geographical area in which these populations came from, but being separated by a few hundred years apart, it has always been hard to say which was which. I have been an avid reader on the subject, care of the many links posted to papers by forum members.

Given that my new group of S26361 is now mainly found in populations in Sweden and Norway, I think I am now more likely to have Viking background.

So I am feeling really chuffed with these results and happy it was money well spent.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-07-2017, 02:59 PM
I have now requested my BAM file so that I can send it to Y Full.

Cheers, Ade.

rms2
05-07-2017, 03:05 PM
I have now requested my BAM file so that I can send it to Y Full.

Cheers, Ade.

I think you will be happy you did. I am really pleased with YFull's services. It was well worth the money.

Be sure to go back to your myFTDNA pages in a day or two. Click on "Big Y Results", then on "Download Raw Data", and then on "Share BAM". The link to your BAM file will be in the little box in the lower left. FTDNA won't send you an email prior to the Apocalypse.

Adrian Stevenson
05-07-2017, 03:31 PM
I will certainly check up on it. Thanks for the tip.

I have joined several projects today since I got my results.

The Stevenson surname project had this chart which I thought was interesting as it shows a fair few of the Stevenson families have an I M253 background, shown here in red. You can add another to the score since I got my results. Credit to Curry Walker the project Admin for the chart.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Here is how Big Y moved me further down the tree from Z59.

C J Wyatt III
05-07-2017, 04:06 PM
Here is how Big Y moved me further down the tree from Z59.

Interesting. We might be distantly related via our paternal lines. I have tested to Z382. Sometime before the mid 1600s my Wyatt line seems to tie into a Holcombe one which may go back to Sir John de Holcombe, a knight of the Third Crusade. One of my Holcombe matches has tested to S26361. I need to get some money together and test for that.

Jack Wyatt (239841)

Adrian Stevenson
05-07-2017, 04:22 PM
Hi Jack, that would be fun to discover!

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-20-2017, 05:55 PM
Just discovered that my Big Y results have been updated and my new SNP is I-FGC24357 :biggrin1:

My BAM file is now available so I am busy downloading it so I can submit it to Y Full.

Other good news is that my Dad's Family Finder results are in too, but not Mum's as yet.

So a nice surprise after a long day at work.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-20-2017, 08:01 PM
Me

Dad

JonikW
05-20-2017, 08:04 PM
I'm S12289 on the Z140 line and would like to find out more on a limited budget. Would anyone recommend YSEQ, and if so any tips on which SNPs to test? I don't know much about​ this...

C J Wyatt III
05-20-2017, 09:55 PM
Just discovered that my Big Y results have been updated and my new SNP is I-FGC24357 :biggrin1:

My BAM file is now available so I am busy downloading it so I can submit it to Y Full.

Other good news is that my Dad's Family Finder results are in too, but not Mum's as yet.

So a nice surprise after a long day at work.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade,

Have you found any other FGC24357's

I was building up to order S26361, but I am wondering if I should take a chance on something further down the line. Whether you can order FGC24257 is a bit ambiguous. The tree says you can, but I don't see it on the huge list (typo maybe?).

Thanks for keeping us informed.

Jack

Adrian Stevenson
05-20-2017, 10:04 PM
Hi Jack, I have two others of the same group as me.

One is on FTDNA as a match and in the USA and another (Belgian/French Canadian background) is on another forum who is not listed on FTDNA. So at present we are pretty thin on the ground.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
05-21-2017, 10:49 AM
Submitted my BAM file to Y Full and got an expected completion date of 2nd August.

So the waiting begins!

Here is a screenshot of the position in the tree. Looking forwards to seeing my data there.

Cheers, Ade.

Celt_??
05-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Submitted my BAM file to Y Full and got an expected completion date of 2nd August. Here is a screenshot of the position in the tree. Looking forwards to seeing my data there.

In 8 weeks or so, they will add your test number to that chart and put the word NEW high-lighted in yellow after it. But that is just your initial location. It could be another 8 weeks before you receive an email about your "final" result and find then placed in a final position without the word NEW. Then each time the YFull version is updated, there is a possibility that you will receive an email that a new SNP was added and your position will change. Rather fascinating to follow the chart grow and save screen shots over time.

Adrian Stevenson
05-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Thanks, I will certainly do that.

Cheers, Ade.

rms2
05-21-2017, 03:42 PM
Submitted my BAM file to Y Full and got an expected completion date of 2nd August.

So the waiting begins!

Here is a screenshot of the position in the tree. Looking forwards to seeing my data there.

Cheers, Ade.

Things will start happening soon, and, if your progress is like mine was, your results will come in well before August.

Adrian Stevenson
07-03-2017, 05:35 PM
Well you were right and my results are in a month early!

Adrian Stevenson
07-16-2017, 09:47 AM
I am now grouped at Y Full as I FGC24357* along with four other people.

Sent some PM's this morning. It will be interesting to see what part of the world they are from.

At present there is one person from Sweden and three from unknown locations.

There are also two people listed as being in Italy, but they are both I YP5416 so a bit further down the tree.

Cheers, Ade.

C J Wyatt III
07-16-2017, 05:50 PM
I am now grouped at Y Full as I FGC24357* along with four other people.

Sent some PM's this morning. It will be interesting to see what part of the world they are from.

At present there is one person from Sweden and three from unknown locations.

There are also two people listed as being in Italy, but they are both I YP5416 so a bit further down the tree.

Cheers, Ade.

Ade, does the '*' mean that you don't go down any of the existing branches from FGC24357? I am trying to gather a fee bucks to test a SNP, but I expect we will part ways at FGC24357.

Jack

Adrian Stevenson
07-17-2017, 05:27 AM
Hi Jack, I don't go any further than FGC24357. The * may be their new subgroup?

Cheers, Ade.

C J Wyatt III
07-17-2017, 06:33 AM
Hi Jack, I don't go any further than FGC24357. The * may be their new subgroup?

Cheers, Ade.

There are some SNPs past that which FTDNA shows in blue (available), but they do not have the 'add' button for me. If FTDNA will let me, I am thinking about taking a $39 roll of the dice on A15023. A few of my 37 marker close matches are that and the lines seem to cross in the time-space continuum. However our matches drop out at 67. Some experts may say that is a bad bet for me, but I wonder if STR mutation varied according to living and environmental conditions. I feel like my mutation rate is higher than normal.

What's your next step?

Take care,

Jack

Adrian Stevenson
07-18-2017, 05:32 AM
Hi Jack, for the price, I would give it a try.

Not sure where I go next.

Cheers, Ade.

mwauthy
07-25-2017, 04:41 AM
There are some SNPs past that which FTDNA shows in blue (available), but they do not have the 'add' button for me. If FTDNA will let me, I am thinking about taking a $39 roll of the dice on A15023. A few of my 37 marker close matches are that and the lines seem to cross in the time-space continuum. However our matches drop out at 67. Some experts may say that is a bad bet for me, but I wonder if STR mutation varied according to living and environmental conditions. I feel like my mutation rate is higher than normal.

What's your next step?

Take care,

Jack

Hi C J. Where are you from paternally? I also tested positive for FGC24357. My paternal line is from Wallonia Belgium to 1660 with a possible English origin prior. Like you I am unable to test any of the new snps under FGC24357 at FTDNA.

C J Wyatt III
07-25-2017, 06:56 AM
Hi C J. Where are you from paternally? I also tested positive for FGC24357. My paternal line is from Wallonia Belgium to 1660 with a possible English origin prior. Like you I am unable to test any of the new snps under FGC24357 at FTDNA.

I had a brickwall with my third great grandfather, John Wyatt, who I am now pretty certain was born in North Carolina around the late 1770s. Like many other Wyatt's in the USA, the presumption among generations of family genealogists was that we came from Rev. Haute Wyatt who was an early settler of Jamestown and further back to the two Sir Thomas Wyatt's. I did the Y-DNA and it wasn't even close. Off by a haplogroup. I seem to be tied in with the Holcomb's, possibly dating back to Sir John de Holcombe, knighted by Richard the Lion Hearted during the Third Crusade.

Jack Wyatt

mwauthy
07-25-2017, 04:42 PM
I had a brickwall with my third great grandfather, John Wyatt, who I am now pretty certain was born in North Carolina around the late 1770s. Like many other Wyatt's in the USA, the presumption among generations of family genealogists was that we came from Rev. Haute Wyatt who was an early settler of Jamestown and further back to the two Sir Thomas Wyatt's. I did the Y-DNA and it wasn't even close. Off by a haplogroup. I seem to be tied in with the Holcomb's, possibly dating back to Sir John de Holcombe, knighted by Richard the Lion Hearted during the Third Crusade.

Jack Wyatt

The SNP Map on the FTDNA website is inconsistent at times. However, just for fun I put in some snps underneath FGC24357 such as FGC24342 and I got two hits. One in Ireland and one in North Carolina. Even though you yourself are unable to test for FGC24342 at the present moment I wonder if FTDNA is associating that subclade with your kit. Try it yourself.

spruithean
07-25-2017, 05:31 PM
The SNP Map is definitely a useful tool to see a rough idea of where each SNP is distributed, but of course it is subject to ancestral regions that people have entered into their settings on FTDNA.

I find the map is fairly useful when entering SNPs and their downstream SNPs, just for a broad view of things.

Adrian Stevenson
07-30-2017, 10:48 AM
Y Full have just released their new tree.

My FGC24357* now has just three members including myself. The previous other two members out of the five have been pushed down the tree.

The new tree looks like this.

So we have one from England (me) and one from Sweden and one from Germany.

Cheers, Ade.

C J Wyatt III
07-30-2017, 02:32 PM

My FGC24357* now has just three members including myself. The previous other two members out of the five have been pushed down the tree.

Cheers, Ade.

Thanks Ade. Now I am more confused. So Y Full is where BAM files go to be analyzed. Why is its tree so different from FTDNA's? Is Yseq likely to come up with a package for the SNP's in this branch?

Jack

rms2
07-30-2017, 02:47 PM
Thanks Ade. Now I am more confused. So Y Full is where BAM files go to be analyzed. Why is its tree so different from FTDNA's? Is Yseq likely to come up with a package for the SNP's in this branch?

Jack

FTDNA's Haplotree is often more current than YFull's because FTDNA automatically has all the Big Y results and can update its tree frequently. YFull has only the BAM files submitted to them by paying customers. Not everyone with a Big Y test result submits his BAM file to YFull, more's the pity. I am paying for one myself because he would not have done it otherwise.

FTDNA had my own terminal SNP, FGC36982, in the correct position on its Haplotree months ago. YFull had me one step upstream, at FGC36974, all that time. As of today, however, FGC36982 appears on YFull's tree in the right spot, with my YFull ID and that of a likely 4th cousin under it. B)

YFull's services are worthwhile, however, for a number of reasons. Its SNP matching is way better than FTDNA's, it supplies one with somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 STRs, and one can see the YFull IDs who share one's terminal SNP and those who are up and downstream of it on the tree. YFull also accepts NGS test results from other companies besides FTDNA, which means its tree is potentially more all encompassing and accurate.

JMcB
07-30-2017, 03:13 PM
FTDNA's Haplotree is often more current than YFull's because FTDNA automatically has all the Big Y results and can update its tree frequently. YFull has only the BAM files submitted to them by paying customers. Not everyone with a Big Y test result submits his BAM file to YFull, more's the pity. I am paying for one myself because he would not have done it otherwise.

FTDNA had my own terminal SNP, FGC36982, in the correct position on its Haplotree months ago. YFull had me one step upstream, at FGC36974, all that time. As of today, however, FGC36982 appears on YFull's tree in the right spot, with my YFull ID and that of a likely 4th cousin under it. B)

YFull's services are worthwhile, however, for a number of reasons. Its SNP matching is way better than FTDNA's, it supplies one with somewhere in the neighborhood of 500 STRs, and one can see the YFull IDs who share one's terminal SNP and those who are up and downstream of it on the tree. YFull also accepts NGS test results from other companies besides FTDNA, which means its tree is potentially more all encompassing and accurate.

YFull also dates their branches which is another advantage and their tree is freely and easily accessible. So anyone can look at whenever they want. One of my exact matches just made it onto their tree but unfortunately he wasn't in time to be fully included. So it looks like I'll have to wait another month to see how his addition effects the dating of our new branch (Y3647/Y7198). If at all.

https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-Y3649/

C J Wyatt III
07-30-2017, 03:24 PM

Appreciate the information. Ade and I diverge somewhere back in time. Probably while I am trying to decide what big move I should do (Big Y maybe when the funds are available), the least expensive thing for me to do, other than do nothing, is to drop twenty on having Yseq test me for FGC24357. I need to do it the very first thing on August 1 when money is in my account before I add up the obligations for the month.

Jack

mwauthy
07-30-2017, 03:48 PM

Cheers, Ade.

Looks like they pushed back the TMRCA back 200 years from 1750 to 1950 making it a bit older than previously thought. Probably a west Germanic ancestor that got dispersed with the Saxons and Franks.

C J Wyatt III
08-02-2017, 05:02 PM
Appreciate the information. Ade and I diverge somewhere back in time. Probably while I am trying to decide what big move I should do (Big Y maybe when the funds are available), the least expensive thing for me to do, other than do nothing, is to drop twenty on having Yseq test me for FGC24357. I need to do it the very first thing on August 1 when money is in my account before I add up the obligations for the month.
Jack

Well, I did what I said. USA$ 23 total, $18 for the SNP and $5 shipping. Should be interesting to see how quickly YSEQ turns this around.

If successful, maybe I will try YSEQ's request a SNP.

Jack

Adrian Stevenson
08-02-2017, 07:53 PM
Well done Jack, got to be worth a shot at that price.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
08-02-2017, 08:03 PM
Got Mum's results in from FTDNA.

Here is Dad's again

And now mine again

C J Wyatt III
09-05-2017, 05:29 PM
I just got my results back from YSEQ for my test of FGC24357. The quick results are "FGC24357 A+". I am not sure what the "A+" means.

Ade, looks like our paternal lines merge somewhere back there. We just have to figure out how far back that is, but I don't think we are talking thousands of years.

MacUalraig
09-05-2017, 05:38 PM
I just got my results back from YSEQ for my test of FGC24357. The quick results are "FGC24357 A+". I am not sure what the "A+" means.

Ade, looks like our paternal lines merge somewhere back there. We just have to figure out how far back that is, but I don't think we are talking thousands of years.

A is the allele and + indicates derived/positive.

C J Wyatt III
09-05-2017, 05:51 PM
A is the allele and + indicates derived/positive.

Appreciate it. Ade is FGC24357* which I think means terminal - no further branching. Since I don't have '*", does it mean that I can look for other SNPs downstream?

Thanks for the help.

Jack

MacUalraig
09-05-2017, 06:01 PM
Appreciate it. Ade is FGC24357* which I think means terminal - no further branching. Since I don't have '*", does it mean that I can look for other SNPs downstream?

Thanks for the help.

Jack

Usually the * would come at the end of a SNP panel as it relates to the version of the tree the panel tests against ie the panel can't go any further. So you wouldn't expect it on a single SNP test.

The panel that SNP occurs on has one downstream marker YP5417 so strictly speaking you ought to try that too...

https://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=43455

mwauthy
09-05-2017, 11:21 PM

Thanks for the help.

Jack
Welcome to the FGC24357 club. On this forum that makes 3 members now including myself and Ade. On yseq I tested negative for YP5417 and am currently awaiting results for A15918. These are two subclades underneath FGC24357 that are currently available on yseq. I might try their wish a snp feature in the future as well for other subclades not currently listed.

C J Wyatt III
09-06-2017, 07:08 AM
Welcome to the FGC24357 club. On this forum that makes 3 members now including myself and Ade. On yseq I tested negative for YP5417 and am currently awaiting results for A15918. These are two subclades underneath FGC24357 that are currently available on yseq. I might try their wish a snp feature in the future as well for other subclades not currently listed.

Thank you, mwauthy.

I am a little confused about what to do next. FTDNA has a bit different tree:

I might chill for a while, either until I get some clarity or find the money for "Big-Y".

Jack

mwauthy
09-06-2017, 12:33 PM
Thank you, mwauthy.

I am a little confused about what to do next. FTDNA has a bit different tree:

I might chill for a while, either until I get some clarity or find the money for "Big-Y".

Jack

It is a bit disconcerting that FTDNA, ISOGG, and YFULL all have different subclade trees underneath FGC24357.

I don't think it makes sense for either of us to do "Big Y" any time soon since we have almost reached the end of available snp testing. Maybe 5 years down the road after many more subclade branches are discovered it might make sense.

I wish FTDNA would give some clue to their customer base regarding updates to their snp trees. For the past few months I have been unable to test any of the subclades underneath FGC24357 and it's a frustrating waiting game as to when the next update might occur. A quarterly consistent update would be nice. I see from the image you posted that S16414 and FGC24357 were not even available tests for you?

C J Wyatt III
09-06-2017, 01:25 PM
It is a bit disconcerting that FTDNA, ISOGG, and YFULL all have different subclade trees underneath FGC24357.

I don't think it makes sense for either of us to do "Big Y" any time soon since we have almost reached the end of available snp testing. Maybe 5 years down the road after many more subclade branches are discovered it might make sense.

I wish FTDNA would give some clue to their customer base regarding updates to their snp trees. For the past few months I have been unable to test any of the subclades underneath FGC24357 and it's a frustrating waiting game as to when the next update might occur. A quarterly consistent update would be nice. I see from the image you posted that S16414 and FGC24357 were not even available tests for you?

mwauthy, looks like we are sharing the frustrations. I think you are right about Big Y. And yes, even though those SNPs are shown in blue for available, I have not found a way to order them. I feel like I am caught up in a Seinfield plot where the proprietor of a soup shop says who is allowed to purchase his soup.

I believe my paternal line becomes Holcomb sometime prior to the mid 1600s in Great Britain. I think I will try to find a Holcomb who is willing to take the YSEQ test for FGC24357. Most of the SNPs under FGC24357 in the FTDNA tree show up among various people on my Y-DNA match list. I think if I find the right one, it will take me to a branching point within the last 300-400 years if not more recent.

Jack Wyatt

mwauthy
09-06-2017, 01:40 PM
I didn't know there was a Y DNA match list. I need to check that out. Since FGC24357 is about 2000 years old and surnames are about 700 years old I'm not quite sure how reliable those matches will be yet but it's definitely worth a try.

mwauthy
09-09-2017, 06:48 PM
Based on FTDNA, ISOGG, and YFULL there are 4 subclades so far underneath FGC24357.

1. YP5416=YP5417=YP5418=YP5419

2. PH4362=A15918=BY19382

3. BY19375

4. S10350

You can test for two branches at YSEQ: YP5417 and A15918. I've tested negative for both of those snps.

Adrian Stevenson
02-10-2018, 01:10 PM
Just had an update from FTDNA. There are now a lot of new sub clades added.

With this news, it has pushing me a whole nine places further down the tree!

I am now I BY34648.

I match one other tester, also with the surname Stevenson at this level. Sadly at present we cannot establish a paper trail match, but we are both from the Midlands, UK.

Cheers, Ade.

mwauthy
02-10-2018, 06:41 PM

I am now I BY34648.

I match one other tester, also with the surname Stevenson at this level. Sadly at present we cannot establish a paper trail match, but we are both from the Midlands, UK.

Cheers, Ade.

You also match a person from the coast of Holland one subclade above at Y106825. Perhaps a Frisian to English connection circa 0-500 AD?

I am still stuck at FGC24357.

C J Wyatt III
02-11-2018, 02:28 AM

I am now I BY34648.

Cheers, Ade.

Interesting Ade. I guess that must be a new one.

When everything settles down, I might go for the Big-Y. I am a little bit frustrated that FTDNA won't let me take a gamble on certain SNP's.

Jack

C J Wyatt III
02-11-2018, 02:39 AM
You also match a person from the coast of Holland one subclade above at Y106825. Perhaps a Frisian to English connection circa 0-500 AD?

After my post of 9/6/2017, I checked the Holcombe Project. One member had taken Big-Y. He listed his last known paternal ancestor as Erastus Holcombe, b 1784 in Danbury, Connecticut USA. The first Holcombe's in both the northern and southern colonies were cousins and trace to the same line in Great Britain. I'll have to ask the project administrator if that guy has received an update yet. I think the connection is more recent than 0-500 AD. Sir John de Holcombe probably fathered a few children on his way to and from Jerusalem as part of the Third Crusade.

Jack Wyatt

Adrian Stevenson
02-11-2018, 12:27 PM

I have sent an email to my Dutch cousin.

Cheers, Ade.

mwauthy
02-11-2018, 03:23 PM
Interesting Ade. I guess that must be a new one.

When everything settles down, I might go for the Big-Y. I am a little bit frustrated that FTDNA won't let me take a gamble on certain SNP's.

Jack

Not being able to purchase individual snps is a bit fustrating for me as well. Since I might have 20 snps since FGC24357 it could become quite an expensive guessing game at $39 each time. I think it might be time soon to purchase Big Y.

Adrian Stevenson
06-07-2018, 07:10 PM
Here is my new Ancestry estimate.

JMcB
06-08-2018, 12:05 AM
Here is my new Ancestry estimate.

As much as I like Ancestry for the documents I’ve been able to find on there, my original ethnicity results were pretty underwhelming. So I’ve been looking forward to their update, which does seem to be an improvement. At least, from the ones I’ve been able to see. How do you like your’s Ade?

Adrian Stevenson
06-08-2018, 05:16 AM
I am happy with it, as it certainly matches my paper trail.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
11-17-2018, 10:40 AM
My position on the latest Y Full tree.

I am the lonely English flag on it's own at FGC24357*

JMcB
11-17-2018, 04:17 PM

Considering the abundance of testers with ancestry from the British Isles, I would think that is telling.

mwauthy
11-18-2018, 09:52 PM

Ade what is your STR Genetic Distance with your Netherlands match SNP I-Y106825 and with your English match SNP I-BY34648? You share several SNPs with both of them downstream of I-FGC24357 and I was wondering how that correlated to your Genetic Distance with them?

Adrian Stevenson
11-23-2018, 12:57 PM
My English match (who is the next me now at Y Full and has the same surname as me) is a 0 match at 37 markers, but at 67 markers drops off the page.

I cannot seem to find the Dutch match? Unless I am being totally thick! But I know he matched the above mentioned person. I had contact with him on another forum and I have dropped him a PM there. I tried to get him to upload his results to Y Full before but he was worried about security. So I have asked again.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
11-23-2018, 01:00 PM
As the FTDNA sale is on, I have bought the MT full sequence test at $139. It is the last one I can now do. I am all tested out! I do know from my late Mum's results I should be in the T2 group.

Cheers, Ade.

mwauthy
11-23-2018, 07:15 PM
My English match (who is the next me now at Y Full and has the same surname as me) is a 0 match at 37 markers, but at 67 markers drops off the page.

I cannot seem to find the Dutch match? Unless I am being totally thick! But I know he matched the above mentioned person. I had contact with him on another forum and I have dropped him a PM there. I tried to get him to upload his results to Y Full before but he was worried about security. So I have asked again.

Cheers, Ade.

Interesting that you guys share a common paternal ancestor around the 1500s yet at 67 markers your genetic distance is >7. Maybe my 67 marker matches are more closely related to me than I initially thought?

spruithean
11-23-2018, 09:43 PM
Interesting that you guys share a common paternal ancestor around the 1500s yet at 67 markers your genetic distance is >7. Maybe my 67 marker matches are more closely related to me than I initially thought?

It's interesting that you bring this up, my two closest (well my only) Big Y matches (who are downstream of me) appear nowhere on my 37,67 and 111 marker match lists yet there they are as my closest matches with an estimated common ancestor around 1,700-1,850 years ago. It seems that under Z140 (perhaps Z58 for a wider umbrella) haplotypes can be so similar that matches who don't show up on STR lists could be way closer through SNP testing. It makes you question how legitimate certain STR matches could be, I know that some of my 67 marker matches are quite distant thanks to SNPs.

JonikW
11-23-2018, 10:47 PM
It's interesting that you bring this up, my two closest (well my only) Big Y matches (who are downstream of me) appear nowhere on my 37,67 and 111 marker match lists yet there they are as my closest matches with an estimated common ancestor around 1,700-1,850 years ago. It seems that under Z140 (perhaps Z58 for a wider umbrella) haplotypes can be so similar that matches who don't show up on STR lists could be way closer through SNP testing. It makes you question how legitimate certain STR matches could be, I know that some of my 67 marker matches are quite distant thanks to SNPs.

I too would question the value of STR testing when we know it's all about SNPs. My Swedish match is not an FTDNA STR match with me at any level. Where STRs can be useful is if you can persuade a close match to then test SNPs in the hope of establishing a firm connection. An STR match to me and others on my branch agreed to pay $18 at YSeq and has just turned out to be A4577+, which dates to the Germanic Iron Age. There are only a handful of us at that level so it was a good discovery. He doesn't want to test further at this stage.

mwauthy
11-23-2018, 11:05 PM

My current Subclade of I-S10350 has a TMRCA of 1950 ybp according to YFull. 14 people including myself have tested positive for this SNP at ftdna. None of the other 13 people show up at 25, 37, 67, or 111 STR matches to me. A few of them show up at 12 markers. 8/13 are Big Y matches to me at ftdna. Based on 30 or less non-matching SNPs perhaps I-S10350 is around 1500 ybp. At 67 markers a couple of them have a genetic distance of 10 to me which is 3 more than the matching threshold. Four of my 67 marker matches (genetic distances 3,5,7,7) just purchased Big Y-500 this past sale so it will be interesting to see how that correlates to shared SNPs in a few months. Almost all of my STR matches currently only show up as I-M253.

Could you give specifics about how your 67 marker matches have more distant SNPs than your current subclade? Iím very intrigued by this.

spruithean
11-24-2018, 02:16 PM
Sure, within my 67 marker list there are individuals who fell in the 62, 64 range who have origins in areas where my ancestors are believed to have originated from. Naturally I suspected that we'd belong to the same branch of I1, turns out while we do belong to the same branch we are on separate twigs. At the I-Y3647 SNP level there are 3 confirmed branches, A14097, A13248 and L234 (YFull data on A14097 and A14094 is incomplete due to my tardiness, I am negative for everything but A14097). These three SNPs branch into a few other branches, majority of my 67 marker matches fall into those other branches, while my two closest Big Y matches belong to A14094/M4050, which is downstream from my position. It was bizarre at first considering I'd looked heavily at one of the matches because in the days that we were 37 markers only we had nearly identical haplotypes. My two Big Y matches aren't on my STR lists until I believe 12 markers. The calculated distance with SNPs is fairly old, so the 12 marker thing makes sense, but why I seem to have converged with the other haplotypes is interesting.

It seems (at least) for the Y3647 branch of I1 the haplotypes are shared across the branches with a few steps of deviation here and there.

mwauthy
11-24-2018, 05:39 PM
Sure, within my 67 marker list there are individuals who fell in the 62, 64 range who have origins in areas where my ancestors are believed to have originated from. Naturally I suspected that we'd belong to the same branch of I1, turns out while we do belong to the same branch we are on separate twigs. At the I-Y3647 SNP level there are 3 confirmed branches, A14097, A13248 and L234 (YFull data on A14097 and A14094 is incomplete due to my tardiness, I am negative for everything but A14097). These three SNPs branch into a few other branches, majority of my 67 marker matches fall into those other branches, while my two closest Big Y matches belong to A14094/M4050, which is downstream from my position. It was bizarre at first considering I'd looked heavily at one of the matches because in the days that we were 37 markers only we had nearly identical haplotypes. My two Big Y matches aren't on my STR lists until I believe 12 markers. The calculated distance with SNPs is fairly old, so the 12 marker thing makes sense, but why I seem to have converged with the other haplotypes is interesting.

It seems (at least) for the Y3647 branch of I1 the haplotypes are shared across the branches with a few steps of deviation here and there.

Wow! Itís a bit disheartening to see you have 67 marker matches with genetic distances of 3 and 5 only match up with SNPs in the 1750-1850 ybp range. I am downstream of I-Z58 as well. I hope Convergence is not universal with I-Z58 because Iím hoping to make many subclade branches with my four 67 marker matches who are currently waiting for their Big Y-500 results. Hopefully, Convergence is not an issue with 111 markers. I have one match at 111 markers with a genetic distance of 5. Im hoping to share many of my 17 unnamed variants with him.

spruithean
11-24-2018, 06:03 PM
Wow! It’s a bit disheartening to see you have 67 marker matches with genetic distances of 3 and 5 only match up with SNPs in the 1750-1850 ybp range. I am downstream of I-Z58 as well. I hope Convergence is not universal with I-Z58 because I’m hoping to make many subclade branches with my four 67 marker matches who are currently waiting for their Big Y-500 results. Hopefully, Convergence is not an issue with 111 markers. I have one match at 111 markers with a genetic distance of 5. Im hoping to share many of my 17 unnamed variants with him.

I suppose it could be disheartening but I'm patient with this I guess. Actually my 2 Big Y matches who are on my "branch" are distant STR matches and only show up at 12 markers and they are downstream of me, which places us at 1750-1800 ybp. My 67 marker matches are made up of my known cousins and then unknowns who happen to be from sibling branches of mine. My closest STR matches are known cousins save for one individual from Northern Ireland with a similar surname (practically identical minus a patronymic). At the Y3647 part of the tree it seems to look like this for me at least:

Y3647 (Y7198 at FTDNA)
- A14097 (I suppose I could be A14097* in this case)
-- A14094 (M4050 at FTDNA)
- L234
- A13248

Here is the tree at FamilyTreeDNA:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/I;name=I-A14097

I have one 111 marker match and it is a GD of 0 with a known cousin. I'm hoping more come rolling in.

mwauthy
11-24-2018, 06:37 PM
I suppose it could be disheartening but I'm patient with this I guess. Actually my 2 Big Y matches who are on my "branch" are distant STR matches and only show up at 12 markers and they are downstream of me, which places us at 1750-1800 ybp. My 67 marker matches are made up of my known cousins and then unknowns who happen to be from sibling branches of mine. My closest STR matches are known cousins save for one individual from Northern Ireland with a similar surname (practically identical minus a patronymic). At the Y3647 part of the tree it seems to look like this for me at least:

Y3647 (Y7198 at FTDNA)
- A14097 (I suppose I could be A14097* in this case)
-- A14094 (M4050 at FTDNA)
- L234
- A13248

Here is the tree at FamilyTreeDNA:

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/I;name=I-A14097

I have one 111 marker match and it is a GD of 0 with a known cousin. I'm hoping more come rolling in.

The TIP calculations can be very misleading for a noob. At 67 markers genetic distance of 3 it says there is 100% chance of being related within 24 generations or around 792 ybp. At genetic distance of 5 itís 98.89% within 792 ybp. These percentages definitely donít apply to your SNP branches of 1750 ybp. One question I have about the TIP calculator at Ftdna is whether these percentages apply to people with different surnames or if itís only for people with the same surname?

Adrian Stevenson
12-12-2018, 11:32 AM
Just got my full MTDNA results in.

I am T2c1-t146!

I will have a look around and join any projects that are appropriate.

Well, I am now all tested out..

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
12-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Here is the new revised chart at Y Full where I am now placed at I BY34647. The clade is estimated at forming around 1,950 years ago. My partner tester there is another Stevenson, and the MRCA is estimated at around 300 years ago. Sadly at the moment we cannot establish a link.

Cheers, Ade.

Adrian Stevenson
09-24-2020, 07:34 PM
Hi Guys, Ancestry have issued a new revised set of results. Here is my latest set.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/origins/share/80a72055-c9a0-4b08-acb2-f1b059360710

Cheers, Ade.

JMcB
09-25-2020, 12:07 AM
Hi Guys, Ancestry have issued a new revised set of results. Here is my latest set.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/dna/origins/share/80a72055-c9a0-4b08-acb2-f1b059360710

Cheers, Ade.

Hello Ade,

Congratulations on your new Ancestry results! How do you like them?

I not sure if you’ve noticed but along with your new Ancestry results, there’s a Ancient Viking sample from the newly released Viking paper that’s just above your area on the tree.

VK446 from Denmark:

https://www.yfull.com/tree/I-FGC24357/

You can find the Viking paper here:

https://anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?13783-Ancient-I-M253-samples-list&p=700828&viewfull=1#post700828

Deadly 77 also has some more details about the context of that sample on his map:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1znTXv7qpl4_2T4u9068jOaLzpsjNf62F&ll=55.500000000000014%2C10.330000000000048&z=8&fbclid=IwAR1RFLbSoE4JQWsZg-9sENG0UwjIvTm0DoHgokcIkFcLpRGi9YMSIzjeugI

I hope you’re doing well! It’s nice to hear from you again.

Edit: Here is how Family Tree is analyzing VK446

Sample: VK446 / Denmark_Galgedil LS
Y-DNA: I-BY19383

FTDNA Comment: Shares 1 SNP with a man from England. Forms a new branch down of I-BY19383 (Z2041). New branch = I-BY94803
mtDNA: U5a1a1-T16362C

https://www.familytreedna.com/public/y-dna-haplotree/I;name=I-BY19383

Adrian Stevenson
09-26-2020, 09:20 AM
Hi, thanks for the comment.

I am happy with the results but not sure where they get the Scottish element from? Never had this before and not aware of any Scots in the family (Other than family who moved there from Nottingham after WW1).

The new Viking samples are certainly exciting!

Cheers, Ade.

RobertCasey
09-26-2020, 03:08 PM
YSTRs by themselves are much less reliable than FTDNA implies. For some (very few), it works very well while others get 80 to 90 % false matches. FTDNA (and many others) assume that YSTR mutations have a normal distribution for their YSTR matching and Tip Tool. Unfortunately, the assumption of normality is seldom correct. For those who are more math oriented, here is a presentation of this issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmv7RyrVTa4

But YSTRs can be very powerful when used with YSNPs as these two YDNA tests track each other. You can start building your haplogroup's data that is predictable and chartable. This means that you collect data that is related to your haplogroup that is dated between 1500 to 2500 YBP (years before present). Then you can run your YDNA data (both YSNPs and YSTRs) through the tool, SAPP. Most predictable haplogroups have only 50 to 100 testers, so this is very doable given some time to collect the data in an EXCEL spreadsheet. Here is a presentation on charting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1W4pw9yrNRU&t=92s

Also, here is a presentation on selecting your haplogroup and collecting data for your haplogroup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpb8OoixBGA&t=1s

Here is a manually created chart that I maintain for R-L226 where YSTRs increase the number of YDNA branches by 400 % (over YSNP only charts):

http://www.rcasey.net/DNA/R_L226/Haplotrees/L226_Home.pdf#Page=50

FGC5647 is the origin of Casey surname cluster and FGC5639 indicates that you belong to the Caseys that arrived in western South Carolina
around 1750 (probably migrated due the major Irish crop failures of the 1740s). YSTR matching works very well for my surname cluster since
their a many YSTR mutations between L226 (500 AD) and my Casey surname cluster (around 1000 AD).

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpb8OoixBGA&t=1s)