PDA

View Full Version : Do Sub-Saharan Africans Have Basal Eurasian Ancestry?

J Man
11-03-2014, 02:53 AM
There does seem to be some sort of West Eurasian like DNA that exists throughout some parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. I wonder if that so called West Eurasian type DNA is actually Basal Eurasian? The same type of Basal Eurasian ancestry that Near Easterners and Europeans have which may make it look like Sub-Saharan Africans have some West Eurasian genetic ancestry.

http://dienekes.blogspot.ca/2013/07/west-eurasian-admixture-in-khoe-san-via.html

http://dispatchesfromturtleisland.blogspot.ca/2014/02/sources-of-west-eurasian-ancestry-in.html

Zavod34
11-04-2014, 12:19 AM
I doubt it.

tamilgangster
11-05-2014, 11:15 PM
Horners most likely do,

Jean M
11-05-2014, 11:37 PM
There does seem to be some sort of West Eurasian like DNA that exists throughout some parts of Sub-Saharan Africa. I wonder if that so called West Eurasian type DNA is actually Basal Eurasian?

I imagine that quite a lot of it is. If Basal Eurasian is equivalent to Y-DNA E, then this may have arrived in North Africa as a back-migration from Asia in the Palaeolithic (together with mtDNA M1 and U). Then it looks to me as though some E moved into the Near East in the Neolithic and then moved back into North Africa with farmers. Then there was a slow spread south. There is a huge amount of E in Africa today.

J Man
11-05-2014, 11:55 PM
I imagine that quite a lot of it is. If Basal Eurasian is equivalent to Y-DNA E, then this may have arrived in North Africa as a back-migration from Asia in the Palaeolithic (together with mtDNA M1 and U). Then it looks to me as though some E moved into the Near East in the Neolithic and then moved back into North Africa with farmers. Then there was a slow spread south. There is a huge amount of E in Africa today.

Yes as we know Y-DNA haplogroup E is the dominant haplogroup of pretty much all of Africa. Of course there are pockets where certain haplogroups such as A and B have high frequencies but overall E dominates.

Jean M
11-06-2014, 12:01 AM
Of course we still don't know what 'Basal Eurasian' actually is. :) So I'm just heaping supposition upon supposition.

J Man
11-06-2014, 12:03 AM
Of course we still don't know what 'Basal Eurasian' actually is. :) So I'm just heaping supposition upon supposition.

That is all we can do for now until more ancient genomes are discovered. :)

gihanga.rwanda
09-20-2015, 08:03 PM
If I had to make an educated guess, the dominant groups (that is, Cushitic and South Semitic speakers, and to a lesser extent Omotic speakers) in the HoA owe the overwhelming majority of their ancestry to four ancestral populations.

1. Basal Eurasian: IMHO this group is probably more accurately described as "NE African." I would imagine that they resided in Egypt/North Sudan/Libya before spilling over into the Levant in the lead up to the Neolitic. Which would explain the well noted African affinities of the Natufians.

2. East African: the majority component in groups like the Dinka.

3. Western Eurasian: the WHG-like and likely majority portion of ENF.

4. Khoe-Sandawe (like) or "SE African hunter-gatherer": found primarily among Omotic speakers and less so among other highlander groups.

bones
11-06-2015, 12:11 PM
If I had to make an educated guess, the dominant groups (that is, Cushitic and South Semitic speakers, and to a lesser extent Omotic speakers) in the HoA owe the overwhelming majority of their ancestry to four ancestral populations.

1. Basal Eurasian: IMHO this group is probably more accurately described as "NE African." I would imagine that they resided in Egypt/North Sudan/Libya before spilling over into the Levant in the lead up to the Neolitic. Which would explain the well noted African affinities of the Natufians.

2. East African: the majority component in groups like the Dinka.

3. Western Eurasian: the WHG-like and likely majority portion of ENF.

4. Khoe-Sandawe (like) or "SE African hunter-gatherer": found primarily among Omotic speakers and less so among other highlander groups.

Basal Eurasian is not NE African, its not African at all, this component originated outside of Africa and spread back there from the levant. As for Natufians having african affinities, its based on a very small sample size, and considering how much earlier the basal eurasian introgression into Africa took place compared to the age of the natufian culture, its not suprising if some mixed ancestors from northeast Africa would have expanded to the near east long after the mixing had taken place within Africa.

Awale
11-19-2015, 06:00 PM
Basal Eurasian is not NE African, its not African at all, this component originated outside of Africa and spread back there from the levant.

Indeed, that's the current view with no aDNA sample that's fully "Basal Eurasian" (whatever it is); why don't we be cautious and wait and see until we have aDNA from the Levant, the Arabian Peninsula, North Africa & East Africa before we deal in absolutes...

love sites
07-13-2016, 08:32 AM
Well,:beerchug: