PDA

View Full Version : Stretch highly selected for on chromosome 16?

Salkin
11-15-2014, 01:41 PM
In one-to-one comparisons to my own kit at GEDmatch, I've noticed that there's very often a lot of full matches interspersed with some half-matches early on Chromosome 16. They don't get long enough to count as a proper match on GEDmatch's default settings, but it seems to me that such a concentration of matching SNPs in the same location ought to have some significance.

I think this phenomenon has been present with nearly every living person I've compared with. Does anyone know if that area codes for some particularly vital function or somesuch?

The phenomenon doesn't show as strongly with ancient homo sapiens kits, but there's still a higher concentration than elsewhere in the genome. I think the only kits I've found that this doesn't happen with at all are Neanderthal and Denisova.

dp
01-19-2015, 01:34 AM
In one-to-one comparisons to my own kit at GEDmatch, I've noticed that there's very often a lot of full matches interspersed with some half-matches early on Chromosome 16. They don't get long enough to count as a proper match on GEDmatch's default settings, but it seems to me that such a concentration of matching SNPs in the same location ought to have some significance.

I think this phenomenon has been present with nearly every living person I've compared with. Does anyone know if that area codes for some particularly vital function or somesuch?

The phenomenon doesn't show as strongly with ancient homo sapiens kits, but there's still a higher concentration than elsewhere in the genome. I think the only kits I've found that this doesn't happen with at all are Neanderthal and Denisova.

Can you provide the base pair numbers for this frequent segment so I can try to look out for them in the IBD segment search thread?
Thanks,
dp :-)

Salkin
01-19-2015, 08:28 PM
Can you provide the base pair numbers for this frequent segment so I can try to look out for them in the IBD segment search thread?
Thanks,
dp :-)

Looks like it's about 1069011 through 3003265 on chr 16. In the particular example I looked at, 4.4 cM and 705 SNPs.