PDA

View Full Version : AncestryDNA Implements Horrible Changes

AWF
11-20-2014, 03:28 AM
AncestryDNA made some horrible changes today. A prominent Genetic Genealogy blogger (and a paid trip for Blogger via AncestryDNA) wrote about these changes.

Mr. Blogger said: “However, automatically complaining about the loss of a match because you’ve “proven” a common ancestor and you have shared DNA is NOT a valid complaint without considerable additional evidence.”

AncestryDNA says on these new changes: “Less is More”

Mr. Customer says to AncestryDNA’s Tim Sullivan: “Hogwash” … “LESS is WAY TOO MUCH LESS”. AncestryDNA did not do any, or statistically sufficient, customer facing Beta Tests and these PhD inspired changes show it. With a Beta Test of 100 or 500 Customers, AncestryDNA would have easily found out IT’S NOT A BRILLIANT IDEA TO ELIMINATE A CUSTOMER’s STARRED RELATIVES / VALID GENETIC MATCHED … BUT THEY DID IT ANYWAY!

This is analogous to Apple coming out with a IOS software update and erasing all your FAVORITES in the Phonebook.

So, YES! Mr. Blogger, we are complaining about the loss of “GOOD” “STARRED GENETIC MATCHES”

Who in the heck is AncestryDNA or Tim Sullivan to say otherwise. He deserves to lose his job over this.

We recommend customers switch from AncestryDNA to FTDNA for Autosomal DNA.

Mr. Blogger, you can try to say this Pig is a Silk Purse but others know that AncestryDNA is not worth the money or the headaches any more. They don't even have a Chromosome Browser. Go to GedMatch.com for that.

S9 H9
11-20-2014, 10:42 AM
While understandably awkward, in the first look the changes are not all that bad, I think. More time will have to pass before I come to a stronger conclusion, but for now the changes appear to me to make my tests' results more reasonable.

Green fairy
11-26-2014, 06:42 AM
While understandably awkward, in the first look the changes are not all that bad, I think. More time will have to pass before I come to a stronger conclusion, but for now the changes appear to me to make my tests' results more reasonable.

More reasonable in that they make more sense or just an easier number to work with?

Green fairy
11-26-2014, 06:47 AM
I have been thinking about testing with AncestryDNA, can someone briefly explain the circles and if that is a good or bad change in your view and if it is meant to override a chromosome browser?

I get the feeling Ancestry wants you locked in like Apple and the circles connect to genealogy and DNA and you need to use both ie pay for both. I am on the outside looking in, so am not sure but would like more information before I test.