PDA

View Full Version : R1b in the Caucasus

rms2
11-23-2014, 01:53 PM
There is an interesting paper on y haplogroups of the Caucasus that was posted by DMXX over on the thread about new dna papers, Human Paternal Lineages, Languages, and Environment in the Caucasus (http://digitalcommons.wayne.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1053&context=humbiol_preprints).

I have not had time to read the entire report carefully yet, but here are a couple of interesting quotes:

Our models obtained for R1b and R1a are not transferable outside the Caucasus, which might suggest that these paternal
lineages were the last of the five studied haplogroups to reach the Caucasus and had to adapt to new niches different from their places of origin.

Haplogroup R1b had considerably high frequencies (>25%) in the southern part of Georgia, in Armenia, and at the Caspian Sea Coast, peaking at
50% in Georgian speakers of the Kartvelian linguistic group in southern Georgia in close proximity to Armenia. At the national and ethnic level, R1b was most
frequent in Armenia.

rms2
11-23-2014, 02:13 PM
I have an Armenian brother-in-law. I would offer to pay for his y-dna test, but he has more money than I do. ;)

razyn
11-23-2014, 02:17 PM
Not sure I'd go along with this part, though:

The place of origin of people of patrilineage R1b (most likely early speakers of the Western Indo-European languages (in sense of Renfrew, 1987) is either the Atlantic coast of Europe (Wilson et al. 2001; Busby et al. 2012) or the western part of Anatolia (Balaresque et al. 2010).

That's on p. 23 of the PDF. Interesting paper, though. The part from the bottom of 25 to the top of 27 is where the rubber hits the road. Longer than might be construed as fair use, for me to quote. RMS2 posted the link -- go have a look.

rms2
11-23-2014, 02:19 PM
I saw that. I don't agree with it either, although I like the part about "early speakers of Western Indo-European languages". But in the same breath they seem to endorse Renfrew's point of view, and that is bothersome, as well.