PDA

View Full Version : Family Finder and Other Autosomal Stuff

rms2
11-27-2014, 02:55 PM
Here's some news. Yesterday I awoke to a big Family Finder match (152 cM) who also matches my dad even more closely (221 cM). I emailed her, and it turns out we are third cousins. Our most recent common ancestors are our mutual second great grandparents, Captain James Holmes Stevens and his wife, Olive Augusta Washburn. That also makes her a second cousin once removed to my dad and to my second cousin (once removed) Mark, whom I found via an exact 37-marker y-dna match. This very nice lady is an Ulmer and descended from Sarah May "Sally" Stevens, born 26 Jan 1879 in Magnolia, Pike, Mississippi, the daughter of Capt. James Holmes Stevens and Olive Augusta Washburn. She is an adoptee and only recently found out who her birth mother was.

Her great grandmother, Sarah May Stevens, married John Ulmer in 1901. He was the son of German immigrants. Sarah May was the sister of my great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens, Jr.

This is the second genetic confirmation of my descent from my second great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens. The first was the exact 37-marker match with my second cousin once removed Mark that I mentioned above. The most recent common ancestor Mark and I share is James Holmes Stevens. He is Mark's great grandfather and my second great grandfather.

Family Finder has definitely been worth the relatively small price I paid for it.

vettor
11-28-2014, 06:09 PM
Here's some news. Yesterday I awoke to a big Family Finder match (152 cM) who also matches my dad even more closely (221 cM). I emailed her, and it turns out we are third cousins. Our most recent common ancestors are our mutual second great grandparents, Captain James Holmes Stevens and his wife, Olive Augusta Washburn. That also makes her a second cousin once removed to my dad and to my second cousin (once removed) Mark, whom I found via an exact 37-marker y-dna match. This very nice lady is an Ulmer and descended from Sarah May "Sally" Stevens, born 26 Jan 1879 in Magnolia, Pike, Mississippi, the daughter of Capt. James Holmes Stevens and Olive Augusta Washburn. She is an adoptee and only recently found out who her birth mother was.

Her great grandmother, Sarah May Stevens, married John Ulmer in 1901. He was the son of German immigrants. Sarah May was the sister of my great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens, Jr.

This is the second genetic confirmation of my descent from my second great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens. The first was the exact 37-marker match with my second cousin once removed Mark that I mentioned above. The most recent common ancestor Mark and I share is James Holmes Stevens. He is Mark's great grandfather and my second great grandfather.

Family Finder has definitely been worth the relatively small price I paid for it.

Thanks

Do you know why some ancestral surnames with people you match in FF are in bold font , but not every person you match will have a bold font ancestral surname

rms2
11-28-2014, 07:58 PM
Thanks

Do you know why some ancestral surnames with people you match in FF are in bold font , but not every person you match will have a bold font ancestral surname

I don't really. I thought the bolded surnames were names you were supposed to share with them, but some of them are not surnames I share with my matches at all (that I know of).

ilmari
11-29-2014, 10:51 AM
Thanks

This is an issue with Soundex, it has many flaws, but it's better for a miss than to miss one.

rms2
11-29-2014, 01:22 PM
This is my month for interesting Family Finder stuff. I mentioned this before over on the Family Finder results thread in the FTDNA subforum here at Anthrogenica, but I botched the story, not having my factual ducks all in a row. Now I think I am ready to correct that.

Anyway, I was contacted a couple of months ago by a woman who said we have a Family Finder match and are probably related. Honestly, when we couldn't figure out what the relationship was after an email or two, I let it go and didn't think about it much, but apparently it meant more to her, so she kept grappling with it. Finally she noticed that I have the surname Snedeker in my pedigree. That is one she shares with me.

Well, it turns out the FF match is between her mother and my father, and is 54 cM. My father and I match on Family Finder and on y-dna as father and son, but this match does not show up among my FF matches.

My dad and this woman's mom share 4th great grandparents: Christian Snedeker and his wife Aeltje van Arsdale. Christian and Aeltje are the putative parents of Amanda Snedeker, who, first by oral tradition, then documented in the family genealogy, Stevens-Washburn with Related Lines, by my great aunt, Annie Olive Stevens Jones, is said to be the mother of my y-dna mdka, Auguston Stevens. This match of my father's is the 2nd great granddaughter of Anne Snedeker, the daughter of Garret Snedeker, who was our Amanda's brother.

Confusing?

Anyway, this match is significant for me and my family because it is the first glimmer of genetic proof that Amanda Snedeker ever existed. I have never been able to find any record of her beyond the family genealogy I mentioned above. Our family passed down her name, including her maiden surname, but not the name of her husband, the Unknown Stevens. My y-dna mdka, Amanda's son Auguston, was born in Wheeling, Ohio County, West Virginia, in 1804. Brooke County is just north of Wheeling, and that is where Christian Snedeker, his wife Aeltje van Arsdale, and an extensive Snedeker clan lived. One of Auguston's brothers was named Christian S. Stevens, so it seems likely he was named for his maternal grandfather, Christian Snedeker (if in fact Christian Snedeker was his grandfather).

Snedeker is not a common surname, so finding a Christian Snedeker and family in close proximity to the place where my y-dna mdka was born always struck me as significant and some circumstantial evidence of the substance behind the Amanda Snedeker tradition. Now this Family Finder match provides a genetic link to the Snedekers of Brooke County, WV.

ArmandoR1b
11-29-2014, 01:24 PM
Thanks

Do the people that don't have a bold font ancestral surname have a surname that you share with them? Not every FF DNA match will have a tree that includes an ancestral surname that you have in your tree. Some of the autosomal DNA matches will be due to IBS and therefore the common ancestry is too far back to find a common ancestor or a total coincidence.

vettor
11-29-2014, 05:30 PM
Do the people that don't have a bold font ancestral surname have a surname that you share with them? Not every FF DNA match will have a tree that includes an ancestral surname that you have in your tree. Some of the autosomal DNA matches will be due to IBS and therefore the common ancestry is too far back to find a common ancestor or a total coincidence.

The people that don't have bold surnames have trees and no bolded surnames.

others have trees with a bolded surname ( only one surname is bolded ) which does not appear in my tree ( yet) , I have over 900 names.

clearly some who have surnames like Cemin and Toigo would fit me somewhere as they are italian alpine names, but a name like gaskill stating cornish origins seems odd.

I can also understand people from the island off central france in the atlantic sea
Born in Ile De Re, France on 1617 to Jehan Coursier and Anne Perroteau. Anne married Rene Rezeau
They fled Hugenot persecussion..........venice republic was secular and accepted all religions ( as long as religion did not impose itself on the state )......so I can understand this as well

ArmandoR1b
11-29-2014, 07:22 PM
The people that don't have bold surnames have trees and no bolded surnames.
Those should be the people that don't have a surname in their tree that you have in your tree.

others have trees with a bolded surname ( only one surname is bolded ) which does not appear in my tree ( yet) , I have over 900 names.
That might be due to soundex as ilmari suggested.

clearly some who have surnames like Cemin and Toigo would fit me somewhere as they are italian alpine names, but a name like gaskill stating cornish origins seems odd.
If the surname is not in your tree or in theirs then it shouldn't be bolded.

I can also understand people from the island off central france in the atlantic sea
Born in Ile De Re, France on 1617 to Jehan Coursier and Anne Perroteau. Anne married Rene Rezeau
They fled Hugenot persecussion..........venice republic was secular and accepted all religions ( as long as religion did not impose itself on the state )......so I can understand this as well
Bolded surnames aren't going to have anything to do with that. Either the surname, or one that sounds the same, is in both trees or it isn't. If it is in both trees if it is in bold. If it isn't in bold it isn't in both trees. Your DNA has nothing to do with the bold surnames.

vettor
11-29-2014, 07:57 PM
Those should be the people that don't have a surname in their tree that you have in your tree.

ok

That might be due to soundex as ilmari suggested.
ok

If the surname is not in your tree or in theirs then it shouldn't be bolded.
or I have not reach it yet ........I am only down to 1680 ish................there is no other explanation ........this happens also in my wife's tree

Bolded surnames aren't going to have anything to do with that. Either the surname, or one that sounds the same, is in both trees or it isn't. If it is in both trees if it is in bold. If it isn't in bold it isn't in both trees.

not really as per above, also some surnames have been around on my matches pre family tree system of Ftdna

I will recheck now and confirm what you say

Your DNA has nothing to do with the bold surnames.

correct

vettor
11-29-2014, 08:16 PM
@armando

Not to argue the point, but i cannot see what you state is the true case.

4th cousin
Lease / Reese / Rezeau / Ross / Allen / Bennett / Bibb / Bramlett / Bullis / Calcott / Caperton / Christian / Daniel / Decker / Dortch / Dougthit / Drew / Fitzpatrick / Gastenberg / Germond / Graham / Grebe / GREVILLE / Hardy / Harris / HARRIS/ / HARRIS/ I / HARRIS/ S / Hogg / Jones / Key / Key Sr. / Key/ S / Martin / McNeil / Northcutt / Palmer / Parlier / Parlier/ S / Peachy / Perlier / Pettit / Reese/ S / Schuster / Simpson / Soot / Steinseiffer / Steinsifer / Stincipher / Tandy / Taylor / Toy / Tudor / Turner / Ware / West / Whitaker / Williams

person has a tree ..............I have a tree..........I do not have any names similar unless I consider my Rech ancestor

this person has no tree
Cemin (Siror,Trentino, Italy) / Cook (Cumberland and Liverpool) / Feussner (Colbe, Germany) / Garraway (Scotland and Cumberland England) / Goetz (Ausbach,Germany) / Pfromm (Motzfeld, Germany) / Rosenstock (Ausbach,Germany) / Smith (Sunderland, England) / Young (Houghten le Spring, England)

bolded, as i stated, I have nothing near this surname of Cemin ,.....yet

ArmandoR1b
11-29-2014, 10:24 PM
@armando

Not to argue the point, but i cannot see what you state is the true case.

4th cousin
Lease / Reese / Rezeau / Ross / Allen / Bennett / Bibb / Bramlett / Bullis / Calcott / Caperton / Christian / Daniel / Decker / Dortch / Dougthit / Drew / Fitzpatrick / Gastenberg / Germond / Graham / Grebe / GREVILLE / Hardy / Harris / HARRIS/ / HARRIS/ I / HARRIS/ S / Hogg / Jones / Key / Key Sr. / Key/ S / Martin / McNeil / Northcutt / Palmer / Parlier / Parlier/ S / Peachy / Perlier / Pettit / Reese/ S / Schuster / Simpson / Soot / Steinseiffer / Steinsifer / Stincipher / Tandy / Taylor / Toy / Tudor / Turner / Ware / West / Whitaker / Williams

person has a tree ..............I have a tree..........I do not have any names similar unless I consider my Rech ancestor

The FTDNA system is likely considering Lease / Reese / Rezeau / Ross to be similar to Rech and therefore it is bolded. FTDNA could be using soundex as ilmari stated. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soundex

this person has no tree
Cemin (Siror,Trentino, Italy) / Cook (Cumberland and Liverpool) / Feussner (Colbe, Germany) / Garraway (Scotland and Cumberland England) / Goetz (Ausbach,Germany) / Pfromm (Motzfeld, Germany) / Rosenstock (Ausbach,Germany) / Smith (Sunderland, England) / Young (Houghten le Spring, England)

bolded, as i stated, I have nothing near this surname of Cemin ,.....yet
Thank you for pointing this out. At one time when we uploaded trees to FTDNA the surnames were automatically added to the surname list. Some people don't upload trees and manually add surnames to the list. I forgot that that happens. If people have a surname list they should have a tree but sometimes they don't know how to create a gedcom or don't care to take the time to make one and upload it. So swap the word "tree" with "surname list" with what I have written previously.

There is probably a surname in your surname list that is close to what the soundex has for Cemin (Siror,Trentino, Italy)

Let me know if the answers still aren't satisfactory.

vettor
11-29-2014, 10:43 PM
Thank you for pointing this out. At one time when we uploaded trees to FTDNA the surnames were automatically added to the surname list. Some people don't upload trees and manually add surnames to the list. I forgot that that happens. If people have a surname list they should have a tree but sometimes they don't know how to create a gedcom or don't care to take the time to make one and upload it. So swap the word "tree" with "surname list" with what I have written previously.

There is probably a surname in your surname list that is close to what the soundex has for Cemin (Siror,Trentino, Italy)

Let me know if the answers still aren't satisfactory.

Or..........because toigo and cemin match via triangulation .........then they might assume I am linked because I could be linked via the other one. The german who has the Cemin name as part of her surname list only did a FF test

"satisfactory quote" .....is fine, no issue.........are you customer service for Ftdna?

ArmandoR1b
11-29-2014, 11:05 PM
Or..........because toigo and cemin match via triangulation .........then they might assume I am linked because I could be linked via the other one. The german who has the Cemin name as part of her surname list only did a FF test
That shouldn't be the case. I'll look through some kits I manage to double check. It won't be until tomorrow though.

"satisfactory quote" .....is fine, no issue.........are you customer service for Ftdna?
No, I am not employed by FTDNA. I'm just trying to help.

ArmandoR1b
12-01-2014, 12:24 AM

That shouldn't be the case. I'll look through some kits I manage to double check. It won't be until tomorrow though.

I logged into a cousin's kit that didn't have any surnames in the surname list. I added the uncommon surname of Criales. Matches with the surnames of Cruz, Correas, and Corrales became bold due to the change but not Correa so in this case it was looking for the letters CRS in the match list. I put in Amador and Andrade became bold in the match list so it must have been looking for the letters AMR, ANR, or ADR. I added Davalos and de Velasco, de Villegas, de Villacencio became bold so it must have been looking for the letters DVL.

Do you have a surname in your list that has the letters CMN or SMN? If you do and you take it out then refresh you match list you should see Cemin in normal text.

rms2
12-01-2014, 02:13 AM
I ordered Family Finder for my mom in time to take advantage of the Christmas sale price.

vettor
12-01-2014, 05:25 AM
I logged into a cousin's kit that didn't have any surnames in the surname list. I added the uncommon surname of Criales. Matches with the surnames of Cruz, Correas, and Corrales became bold due to the change but not Correa so in this case it was looking for the letters CRS in the match list. I put in Amador and Andrade became bold in the match list so it must have been looking for the letters AMR, ANR, or ADR. I added Davalos and de Velasco, de Villegas, de Villacencio became bold so it must have been looking for the letters DVL.

Do you have a surname in your list that has the letters CMN or SMN? If you do and you take it out then refresh you match list you should see Cemin in normal text.

If this is true, then this is stupidy by ftdna..........i have only ever added 8 surnames.............I know have 10 pages of surnames, because ftdna pull my surnames from my tree and add it to the surname list without my approval

yes I do have a CMN .....which is Comin ( same as tintoretto surname)

no I do not have SMN ...that is all 3 letters in one surname.........closest is Sbeghen

rms2
12-06-2014, 02:51 PM
I ordered Family Finder for my mom in time to take advantage of the Christmas sale price.

When I ordered Family Finder for my mom, I goofed up somehow. Although I thought was having the kit mailed directly to my mom, the order showed the shipping address and the billing address as the same: mine. Since I live on the East Coast of the USA, and my mom lives on the West Coast, that wouldn't do. I emailed FTDNA.

FTDNA responded within a couple of days. They are mailing the kit directly to my mom.

Glad I caught that in time. I would not want to pay to ship the thing twice.

R. Walker
12-07-2014, 03:29 AM
Congrats to RMS for his new family finds.

rms2
12-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Congrats to RMS for his new family finds.

Thanks. I am hoping for more clarity once I get my mother's FF results to compare to mine and my father's.

The problem with Family Finder matches, it seems to me, is so few of them post good pedigrees or know much about their genealogy beyond a couple of generations. I guess that's to be expected. People who are motivated enough to spend the money on testing are those who don't know all the answers already.

Petr
12-07-2014, 02:16 PM
Congratulations to your FF success and I have one question - what was the FF relationship range? I'm frustrated by the fact that I see many "2nd Cousin - 4th Cousin" but no paper trail within 5 generations.
Have you tried http://www.gedmatch.com/ too?

rms2
12-08-2014, 12:57 PM
My newly acquired 3rd cousin was predicted to be a 2nd-4th cousin for me, and I believe the same for my dad.

I don't recall what the prediction was for the second one who turned out to be a 5th cousin for my dad.

I have tried Gedmatch. It's fun to play with, but hasn't been that productive for me yet.

rms2
12-09-2014, 12:56 AM
My father got a Family Finder match of 54 cM that is whittled down to 25 cM for me. It turns out this woman and my father share third great grandparents, which makes them 4th cousins. I and the woman are 4th cousins once removed.

This is the second confirmation I have had of my descent from Elisha Holmes, b. 06 Jul 1773 in Ireland and his wife Sarah "Sally" Stovall, b. 28 Dec 1777 in Granville County, North Carolina.

Gray Fox
12-11-2014, 10:31 AM
My father got a Family Finder match of 54 cM that is whittled down to 25 cM for me. It turns out this woman and my father share third great grandparents, which makes them 4th cousins. I and the woman are 4th cousins once removed.

This is the second confirmation I have had of my descent from Elisha Holmes, b. 06 Jul 1773 in Ireland and his wife Sarah "Sally" Stovall, b. 28 Dec 1777 in Granville County, North Carolina.

I too have a Holmes in my family tree. Of course its a good distance back. Janette Holmes born 1694 county Down, Ireland, died 1768 Little Britain, Lancaster, Pennsylvania. She married into my Baldridge family who were from County Tyrone and also immigrated to Little Britain. Guessing that's where they met up and married. My 6x Great grandfather Samuel Isaacks (I'm one of many Samuels) married into the Baldridge family in North Carolina before they travelled through the Cumberland gap into Kentucky.

dp
12-11-2014, 07:18 PM

That will be good since you had tested your dad already. That way you can see if your matches are IBD through your mother or father, otherwise they're IBS.
I now have an account at 23andme and tested my maternal aunt. I think I'm going to ask a paternal aunt to test this holiday --for one she should have my paternal grandfather's X since she's female. My two aunts are 2nd cousins so people who match both (on the same segments) have to be related to me through my link to the Crawford/Craf(f)ord & Eure/Ew(y)re families. That way (I) can get more matches, and discriminate between which side of the family (their's) are coming.
After my paternal aunt is added (if she agrees), I think I'll try to get a descendant of my Powell ggg-grandfather's brother tested, on 23andme. [Unfortunately they're not Powell's, so Y-DNA is out]. I know it may be unlikely for a match beyond 3rd cousin to show up --for example I match a half-third cousin once removed through the Powell's, but not her 2nd cousin, who is my half 3rd cousin 1R through the Powell's too-- but it'll be neat to try. And hey, if the match is on the same chr segment (as I share with my matching cousin) it'll confirm my genealogy to this ggg-grandfather's brother.
PS: GEDmatch is great for allowing people of multiple testing companies to compare their results to each other. Next year I may have to venture onto Ancestry, but hey one company per year :-)

rms2
12-14-2014, 01:43 PM
I've already gotten some good stuff via my dad's FF results (see my posts above), but I keep hoping for some clues on my y-dna line that way. Finding my y-dna immigrant ancestor is the Holy Grail of my genealogical quest.

Gray Fox
12-16-2014, 01:01 PM
Hey, just wanted to inform you that I have a new Family finder match listing his mdka as Allen Stephens (1802 SC-1880 Texas Co, MO) . We share 29 cM. Just saw that and thought of your quest in finding your mdka. He is currently R-M269.

*Ah.. Nevermind. Just realized he is in your project and isn't a match.

rms2
01-11-2015, 12:31 PM
I checked my mom's kit this morning. Her "Awaiting Results" page now shows "1-2 weeks" for her Family Finder results to be in. That's pretty good. I hope that is right, and they come in that quickly.

(Of course, I don't know what to do with myself when I am not waiting on some kind of test results.)

Táltos
01-11-2015, 07:23 PM
I checked my mom's kit this morning. Her "Awaiting Results" page now shows "1-2 weeks" for her Family Finder results to be in. That's pretty good. I hope that is right, and they come in that quickly.

(Of course, I don't know what to do with myself when I am not waiting on some kind of test results.)
LOL! Read and post on the forum of course! FF does seem to come in pretty quick.

rms2
02-14-2015, 08:19 PM
My mom gained a second cousin once removed yesterday, and I gained the same person as a third cousin. We share the same second great grandparents, in this case on my mom's side: Thomas Jackson Morris and his wife Orpha L. Stewart. It turns out this lady is the great granddaughter of Mary Jane ("Molly") Morris, the older sister of my great grandfather, Sidney Richman Morris.

Very cool. I like it when genetic confirmation of my descent from known ancestors comes rolling in. B)

rms2
01-11-2018, 10:52 PM
I guess this is the right thread to put this in. Other than known family members, my closest y-dna match also has my surname, matches me 109/111, and is the only other Big Y tested person who shares my current terminal SNP, FGC36982. This match (kit 522600) and I both have Family Finder results, but we are not FF matches for one another. We do share a match, however, with a woman whose initials are JWH. I match her on 57 cM's across 12 segments (longest segment 19 cM's), and 522600 matches her on 22 cM's across 8 segments (longest segment 8 cM's).

What makes that significant is that this woman is the third great granddaughter of Amos H. Stevens (b. 1778) and his wife, Hannah Cunning (b. 1784) through their daughter Nancy (b. 1801). Amos is the son of Augustine "Augustus" Stevens and his wife, Sophia Young. These are people mentioned by genealogist Joan Peake in her report of May 2016 as likely relatives of ours and among the pool of potential ancestors. Due to the circumstances, it isn't likely Amos and Hannah are our ancestors, but it is very likely that Amos' parents, Augustine and Sophia, are.

JWH shows up as a FF match for my dad, as well, but not for my mom, and FTDNA indicates that she is a match for me on my paternal side. What is a little weird, however, is that she matches me on 57 cM's across 12 segments but matches my dad on 50 cM's across 11 segments. Shouldn't she be more of a match for my dad than she is for me?

I took a quick look at the FF Chromosome Browser. My dad's match to JWH is essentially the same as my match to JWH, but there are some slight differences. I have not written them down and conducted a detailed comparison, however.

rms2
01-11-2018, 11:16 PM
I put my dad's chromosome browser comparison to JWH and my chromosome browser comparison to JWH on the same excel spreadsheet, then took a screenshot and used Paint to make an image to post here, in case any really astute Family Finder experts want to take a look and comment.

rms2
02-03-2018, 02:28 PM
I picked up a new match at Ancestry a couple of days ago on 135 cM's, predicted to be a 3rd-4th cousin, with the surname Fisher, which is not a name in my family tree that I know about.

It turns out this gentleman is adopted, Fisher is his adopted surname, and we are second cousins, sharing the same great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens, Jr. (b. 1862). Even though 135 cM's is a pretty big match, it's a little low for second cousins. The reason for that is that my new match is descended from our mutual great grandfather's second wife, and I am descended from our great grandfather's first wife (he married his second wife after my great grandmother passed away).

We won't be y-dna matches, since the match comes on this gentleman's mother's side.

He sounded pretty excited about it when I contacted him.

rms2
02-04-2018, 02:32 PM
Just picked up a match at Ancestry with a man with the surname Atkinson. Turns out his paternal grandmother was Mabel Clare Stevens (1889-1970). She was the daughter of Augustin Washburn Stevens (1860-1902), who was my great grandfather's elder brother. So, Mr. Atkinson and I share a second great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens (1835-1902), which makes us 3rd cousins.

Nice to be able to confirm what some of these matches mean.

rms2
02-04-2018, 08:33 PM
Spent some time this morning taking screenshots of autosomal match pages at Ancestry DNA and posting them to the profiles of the appropriate family members in my Ancestry pedigree. I used them as "media" supporting "DNA Markers" entries.

I hope all the work I've done at Ancestry and elsewhere outlasts me so that my descendants and relatives get some benefit from it. A kind of depressing thing is that very very few of them seem to care.

rms2
08-02-2018, 03:20 PM
Last year (2017) I got a 14.6 cM match at Ancestry with a woman whose maiden name was Stevens, so, naturally, I thought that was where the connection was. As of today, I just found out that wasn't it at all. Instead, our most recent common ancestors are Moses Standish (b. 20 Apr 1733) and his wife Mary Eddy (b. 09 May 1740).

Moses is a second great grandson of Myles Standish of Mayflower fame.

rms2
08-02-2018, 06:24 PM
Last year (2017) I got a 14.6 cM match at Ancestry with a woman whose maiden name was Stevens, so, naturally, I thought that was where the connection was. As of today, I just found out that wasn't it at all. Instead, our most recent common ancestors are Moses Standish (b. 20 Apr 1733) and his wife Mary Eddy (b. 09 May 1740).

Moses is a second great grandson of Myles Standish of Mayflower fame.

Just noticed a brand new match of 14.9 cM's whose mrca's with me are Ebenezer Standish (b. 1672) and his wife Hannah Sturtivant (b. 1679).

Ebenezer is the grandson of Myles Standish and the grandfather of Moses (above).

msmarjoribanks
08-02-2018, 07:05 PM
That's a good-sized match with someone from the 1600s. Exciting. The only matches I have from that far back are mtDNA-related. (I have big enough matches with a couple of people from the mid 1700s that in theory I should have some decent-sized 1600s matches, but none I have yet located.)

Saetro
08-02-2018, 07:57 PM
One of my links is 16.3cM
Close examination of pedigrees led to only one familiar surname/area combination, with a Francis PENROSE in 1684.
Not one of mine, but Visitations showed that back another 4 generations there was a Common Ancestor couple - around 1600 or just before.
I am still looking for a closer CA couple, but my tree is fairly extensive in this area and nothing so far.
There are many patronymic surnames in that part of my tree, so I always expect to lose track.
But my match's tree has all the patronymic surname lines back even further - apart from one HOSKINGS line that ends around 1730.

So presently, I know there is one solid paper link. But I don't know if the DNA represents this.
Matches ICW are so far consistent, but with trees not far enough back to distinguish between these possibilities.
I have a match with at least an 11C connection. There may be more. Perhaps closer.

rms2
08-02-2018, 11:22 PM
That's a good-sized match with someone from the 1600s. Exciting. The only matches I have from that far back are mtDNA-related. (I have big enough matches with a couple of people from the mid 1700s that in theory I should have some decent-sized 1600s matches, but none I have yet located.)

It's weird, and I have matches that are smaller who share mrca's with me much closer in time.

rms2
08-04-2018, 12:03 AM
At Ancestry, my biggest and strongest dna circle is the one leading to the immigrant Ulrich Stutz, who was born in 1688 in Zürich, Switzerland. A male match with that surname just showed up. I messaged him about y-dna testing. Turns out he did the Geno 2.0 some years ago and was placed in y-dna haplogroup I-M170. That was as far as things went with Geno 2.0 back then, so he could have just about any terminal SNP downstream of that.

The cool part is that this cousin is pretty enthusiastic, has said he is going to order a y-dna test from FTDNA to find out more, and has also said he will let me know how things turn out.

Thus far, aside from my own y-dna haplogroup, I know that one of my third great grandfathers on my dad's side was I-M253, one of my second great grandfather's on my dad's side was E-V13, and now this ancestor from my mother's side was I-something.

I like collecting the y-dna haplogroups of male ancestors outside my own y-dna line.

As I recall another of the y-dna lines on my dad's side was R1b-U106, but I need to check on that to confirm it.

rms2
07-02-2019, 12:01 AM
At Ancestry I have a number of Elliott matches, but I can't tell by their trees how we're related. However, I have a couple of 3rd cousins 3x removed with my surname who married a pair of Elliott brothers, so maybe that's the answer . . . or not. Who knows?

Anyway, I messaged one of my Elliott matches and asked him about this possibility. Haven't heard from him yet though.

Here's a photo from about 1910 taken in Phillips County, Kansas, that shows my 3rd cousins with big red arrows I supplied pointing them out.

rms2
07-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Heard a reply from the Elliott match whom I messaged yesterday. Turns out Elliott is an adopted name, and he does not yet know a lot about his biological pedigree.

Back to the drawing board.

rms2
12-03-2020, 11:59 AM
I guess this is the right thread to put this in. Other than known family members, my closest y-dna match also has my surname, matches me 109/111, and is the only other Big Y tested person who shares my current terminal SNP, FGC36982. This match (kit 522600) and I both have Family Finder results, but we are not FF matches for one another. We do share a match, however, with a woman whose initials are JWH. I match her on 57 cM's across 12 segments (longest segment 19 cM's), and 522600 matches her on 22 cM's across 8 segments (longest segment 8 cM's).

What makes that significant is that this woman is the third great granddaughter of Amos H. Stevens (b. 1778) and his wife, Hannah Cunning (b. 1784) through their daughter Nancy (b. 1801). Amos is the son of Augustine "Augustus" Stevens and his wife, Sophia Young. These are people mentioned by genealogist Joan Peake in her report of May 2016 as likely relatives of ours and among the pool of potential ancestors. Due to the circumstances, it isn't likely Amos and Hannah are our ancestors, but it is very likely that Amos' parents, Augustine and Sophia, are.

JWH shows up as a FF match for my dad, as well, but not for my mom, and FTDNA indicates that she is a match for me on my paternal side. What is a little weird, however, is that she matches me on 57 cM's across 12 segments but matches my dad on 50 cM's across 11 segments. Shouldn't she be more of a match for my dad than she is for me?

I took a quick look at the FF Chromosome Browser. My dad's match to JWH is essentially the same as my match to JWH, but there are some slight differences. I have not written them down and conducted a detailed comparison, however.

Probably very few people will want to take the time to read this post, but I just happened to be glancing through this thread, and it struck me that a lot of progress has been made since I wrote the post above in January of 2018. To my way of thinking, it is nothing short of miraculous, and I am grateful to God for all of it.

It's kind of tough to write about this stuff, since it involves real, living people. For privacy reasons, I cannot use their names; I have to go with initials.

Anyway, since I wrote that post, I experienced a HUGE breakthrough in my genealogical quest, a breakthrough that got me beyond my y-chromosome third great grandfather all the way back to his grandparents, my fifth great grandparents. I mentioned them above as likely ancestors found by genealogist Joan Peake back in 2016 through her study of the records of 18th century Fayette County, Pennsylvania. They are Augustine Stevens and his wife Sophia Young, both born about 1750, Augustine in Maryland, Sophia in England.

One of Joan Peake's strongest recommendations was that I try to find a y-chromosome descendant of Amos H. Stevens (b. 1778) and recruit him for Y-DNA testing, since Amos H. Stevens is the best-documented of the children of Augustine and Sophia. When I first read her recommendation, my initial reaction was, "Yeah, that'll happen!"

The ultimate breakthrough started small at AncestryDNA in the summer of 2018 as a match (9 cMs, 1 segment) to a man with my surname who has a solid paper trail to Augustine and Sophia, and, like the Family Finder match I mentioned above, JWH, is a descendant of theirs via their son, Amos H. Stevens (b. 1778). I've mentioned elsewhere that it took me several months to get a response from this AncestryDNA match. It was only after I resorted to prayer that he responded, and I am convinced that what happened afterward was a gift from God to me. (I'm not trying to convert anyone. I'm just trying to give an honest account of what took place.)

To make a long story short, after all hope seemed lost, my AncestryDNA match answered my messages. He was intrigued enough by what I told him to order a Y-111 test from FTDNA. When the match came back at 110/111, he was amazed and immediately ordered the Big Y-700, which was the brand new step up from the old Big Y-500 at that time. The results were even more amazing. Not only did he share the terminal SNP I had at that time (I've since moved one step further downstream via the Big Y results of a second cousin), but he did not pick up any additional genetic distance from me on STRs. We now match on 757 out of 758 STRs!

This match confirmed the identity of my fifth great grandparents and the fact that this Stevens AncestryDNA match is my fifth cousin once removed (my fifth great grandparents are his fourth great grandparents).

He also ordered a Family Finder test from FTDNA. On that he is a match for me of 31 cMs, with a longest block of 16 cMs, and also matches my dad, my youngest son, my youngest daughter, and several other of my relatives on the Stevens line, including the woman, JWH, I mentioned above. At AncestryDNA he also shares a number of Stevens line matches with me, including to a number of the descendants of Sara May Stevens, the sister of my great grandfather James.

In the meantime, I have acquired even more autosomal DNA support for this breakthrough. In addition to my autosomal DNA matches to the descendants of Amos H. Stevens (son of Augustine Stevens and Sophia Young) via his son Amos (the breakthrough Stevens match I mentioned above), and via Amos H.'s daughter Nancy (JWH and her brother DLW), I have three matches at AncestryDNA to descendants of Amos H. Stevens’ son, Daniel (1822-1897). They are: RL (7 cM 1 segment), GC (10 cM 1 segment), and BK (14 cM 1 segment).

I also have an autosomal DNA match at AncestryDNA to QKT (9 cM 1 segment), who is a descendant of Amos H. Stevens via his daughter Hannah (b. 1813), who married Jacob Quinn.

Yesterday I was looking at my AncestryDNA matches. Through a little bit of digging I was able to identify MG, a match of 17 cMs, - I mean figure out who she really is, beyond her mere screenname - and add her to my pedigree with one of those little "DNA Match" symbols.

Turns out she is a descendant of Benjamin Stevens (1737-1811) of Fayette County, Pennsylvania, via his granddaughter Elizabeth Stevens, who married William Boyd.

This same Benjamin is the y-chromosome mdka of two of my Y-DNA matches, one of whom has done the Big Y-500 (without the upgrade to the 700) and is derived for the SNP FGC36974, which is a couple of steps upstream from my own terminal SNP and which has proven to be the identifying SNP of all my Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA matches.

In her original genealogical report, well before she knew anything about my DNA testing results, genealogist Joan Peake identified Benjamin Stevens as probably one of the brothers of my ancestor Augustine Stevens.

Anyway, like I said, I have been really blessed by God in all of this, especially since my y-chromosome line is the chief focus of all my genetic genealogical endeavors. I am really deeply grateful to Him.

rms2
12-08-2020, 05:33 PM
Spent a few hours a couple of days ago updating a Google spreadsheet of my Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA matches. I then downloaded it as an Excel spreadsheet and saved it to my hard drive. Guess I can't really share it here, since it has the names of living people on it. I would have to create a duplicate spreadsheet concealing the names of my matches.

Yesterday I finished a Google spreadsheet of all of my Stevens line autosomal DNA matches. Same problem with regard to sharing it publicly.

I've been blessed by God with a lot of matches, both on Y-DNA and autosomal DNA, many of them very meaningful. It's amazing, but, of course, I started in genetic genealogy back in the spring of 2006. All those matches didn't come overnight.

Think I'm going to make a Google Slides presentation of all the Stephens/Stevens tombstones I know about. Is that morbid? My wife thinks so. To me it's just part of genealogy.

JMcB
12-08-2020, 07:06 PM
Spent a few hours a couple of days ago updating a Google spreadsheet of my Stephens/Stevens Y-DNA matches. I then downloaded it as an Excel spreadsheet and saved it to my hard drive. Guess I can't really share it here, since it has the names of living people on it. I would have to create a duplicate spreadsheet concealing the names of my matches.

Yesterday I finished a Google spreadsheet of all of my Stevens line autosomal DNA matches. Same problem with regard to sharing it publicly.

I've been blessed by God with a lot of matches, both on Y-DNA and autosomal DNA, many of them very meaningful. It's amazing, but, of course, I started in genetic genealogy back in the spring of 2006. All those matches didn't come overnight.

Think I'm going to make a Google Slides presentation of all the Stephens/Stevens tombstones I know about. Is that morbid? My wife thinks so. To me it's just part of genealogy.

Personally, I don’t find it morbid. To me, it’s more like a Memorial to those who have gone before us. Lest We Forget!

rms2
12-31-2020, 02:14 PM
I started working on my Google Slides virtual cemetery presentation, but it will take me a while to finish, especially since a fall down the stairs on Tuesday, 22 December 2020, resulted in fractures in both wrists. Hard to handle a computer mouse and type right now.

Anyway, Happy Birthday to my Y-chromosome second great grandfather, James Holmes Stevens. He was born on this day in 1835 in Beaver County, Pennsylvania.

Can't say I'll similarly remember and mark each of my ancestors' birthdays, but this one is on New Year's Eve, so it naturally springs to mind.