PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe launches health test in UK

Jean M
12-02-2014, 05:38 PM
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-30285581

A personal DNA test that has sparked controversy in the US has launched in the UK. The UK's Medicines and Healthcare Products Regulatory Agency (MHRA) says the 23andMe spit test, which is designed to give details about a person's health risks based on their DNA, can be used with caution... The UK Department of Health said the product launched in Britain was very different to the service halted by the US regulator. "Many of the drug responses, inherited conditions and genetic health risks that were of concern in the US have been removed," a spokesperson told BBC News.

In October, 23andMe said it would sell kits in Canada - these too contain only a handful of health-related results....

Dr Marcy Darnovsky, executive director of the Center for Genetics and Society in California, said the UK and Canadian launches could be a way of placing pressure on the FDA by demonstrating that regulators in other countries found no fault with their product.

ilmari
12-03-2014, 08:01 AM
Sanity reigns.

TŠltos
12-03-2014, 03:18 PM
I am glad that a second country can now have the benefit of medical results from their 23andme test. It's totally pathetic though that this American based company is still not allowed to give this type of result to their American customers. What the hell kind of country am I living in anymore?

AJL
12-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Well, if any Americans want to trade a 23andme medical kit (which I can get and you can't) for an Ancestry DNA kit (which you can get and I can't), please let me know. :)

TŠltos
12-03-2014, 06:15 PM
Well, if any Americans want to trade a 23andme medical kit (which I can get and you can't) for an Ancestry DNA kit (which you can get and I can't), please let me know. :)

AJL,
That is a brilliant idea! Though right now I'm actually not looking to buy a 23andme medical kit, I was more thinking out loud about how much of a babysitter my government has become! I do hope somebody takes you up on your offer. :)

I'm sort of okay in the sense that I have my Mom on V3 and can infer (oh shudder, I better watch out before my government thinks I'm too stupid to think for myself, and they take my Mom's results away) a good amount from her results. However there are plenty of iSNPs that the rest of my kits have, that my Mom's does not. Would be interesting to know what they are really all about.

jeanL
12-03-2014, 06:37 PM
I have a spare AncestryDNA kit that I'm willing to trade for a 23andme kit with health results.

AJL
12-04-2014, 12:25 AM
TŠltos:

Have you run your results through Promethease?

jeanL:

PM coming your way.

TŠltos
12-05-2014, 03:45 AM
TŠltos:

Have you run your results through Promethease?

AJL,
Believe it or not, I have not- considering how hooked I am on DNA! I guess I have always been more interested in it for genealogy, though I do understand that certain conditions can be seen to run in families. Promethease has always been in the back of my mind to try, so you just motivated me to finally do it. My report is running right now. :biggrin1: I just hope I picked the best ethnicity to describe myself. At FTDNA and 23andme I show to be at least half Eastern European. Seeing as they didn't have that category, I just went with the CEU-Northern, Western Europe.

TŠltos
12-05-2014, 04:31 AM
AJL,
So much to read in this report!

AJL
12-09-2014, 04:28 PM
I haven't run mine for a while but I imagine they keep adding info. One of the most informative was a risk allele for gs191, which means I shouldn't take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc.

Bad news for the swap initiative, it seems 23andme is only accepting as Canadian, those kits mailed from Canada (and the same for UK). This would add to the shipping costs since Americans would need to have the kit sent to them from Canada or the UK then send it back there, to be sent back to 23andme's US lab, in order to get medical results.

vettor
12-09-2014, 05:26 PM
I imagine that 23andme will be opened in the USA in the future if people sign a statdec to say they will not take the medical analysis as "truth" so that no one will be sued

Petr
12-09-2014, 05:48 PM
Shipment charges:
US shipping Standard - $9.95 (kit $99)
Canada Standard - C$19.95 = US$17.4431 (kit C$199.00 = US$173.994)
UK: Shipping included in the price of the kit £125.00 = $196.01
Not cheap.

ADW_1981
12-09-2014, 07:02 PM
Shipment charges:
US shipping Standard - $9.95 (kit $99)
Canada Standard - C$19.95 = US$17.4431 (kit C$199.00 = US$173.994)
UK: Shipping included in the price of the kit £125.00 = $196.01
Not cheap.

How is it cheaper to send it to UK than Canada?

EDIT: Never mind, I saw the UK price was USD.

TŠltos
12-10-2014, 05:23 PM
I haven't run mine for a while but I imagine they keep adding info. One of the most informative was a risk allele for gs191, which means I shouldn't take NSAIDs like Ibuprofen, Naproxen, etc.

Bad news for the swap initiative, it seems 23andme is only accepting as Canadian, those kits mailed from Canada (and the same for UK). This would add to the shipping costs since Americans would need to have the kit sent to them from Canada or the UK then send it back there, to be sent back to 23andme's US lab, in order to get medical results.

Darn, it was worth a shot. But yes, too much back and forth with shipping. :(

Cinnamon orange
02-26-2015, 04:03 PM
AJL,
Believe it or not, I have not- considering how hooked I am on DNA! I guess I have always been more interested in it for genealogy, though I do understand that certain conditions can be seen to run in families. Promethease has always been in the back of my mind to try, so you just motivated me to finally do it. My report is running right now. :biggrin1: I just hope I picked the best ethnicity to describe myself. At FTDNA and 23andme I show to be at least half Eastern European. Seeing as they didn't have that category, I just went with the CEU-Northern, Western Europe.

Promethease has been on my mind as well. I have suggested it to my siblings that tested at 23andme but missed the health result cut off.

Edit: Did you get your results back and do you recommend for someone who has gotten the 23andme health report?

TŠltos
02-27-2015, 05:20 AM
Promethease has been on my mind as well. I have suggested it to my siblings that tested at 23andme but missed the health result cut off.

Edit: Did you get your results back and do you recommend for someone who has gotten the 23andme health report?

Hi Cinnamon Orange,
Yes I got them back awhile ago. I can't quite remember off the top of my head thinking anything was too different from 23andme's health report. You already have health reports on your two kits though. The report is only $5, and they accept either v3 or v4. Maybe do it on just one of your kits, and see what you think. Sorry I'm not much of a help on your question right now. It's been a long day, and I need to go get some shut eye. :sleep: