PDA

View Full Version : Salkin's Geno 2.0

Salkin
12-12-2014, 09:41 AM
Not such a bad turnaround time. They received my kit Oct 31 and I got my results today.

I wasn't expecting to have any Denisovan, let alone more than Neanderthal. (23andMe calls me 3.0% Neanderthal)

I already knew from FTDNA's mtFullSequence that I'm in a mystery subclade of I2, but it's nice to get more detail on my G subclade. CTS4803 doesn't seem unreasonable - I seem to be in the expected catchment area for it according to the G-L497 project.

I know a lot of people have gotten bizarre reference populations assigned, but these aren't too crazy, though not fully what I'd expected. I might have expected German rather than British, and Danish in the first rather than second place.

For comparison:

Shaikorth
12-12-2014, 11:58 AM
I think there's a calculator effect in Geno2 and that's why, for example, testers of British or similar origins never get as high N Euro as the reference population.

ZephyrousMandaru
01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
It seems your ancient paternal ancestor was a Near Eastern farmer.

Salkin
01-26-2015, 12:03 PM
It seems your ancient paternal ancestor was a Near Eastern farmer.

Indeed, one of the lucky few to survive the onslaught of more recent haplogroup bearers and propagate his genes.

vettor
01-26-2015, 05:03 PM
Not such a bad turnaround time. They received my kit Oct 31 and I got my results today.

I wasn't expecting to have any Denisovan, let alone more than Neanderthal. (23andMe calls me 3.0% Neanderthal)

I already knew from FTDNA's mtFullSequence that I'm in a mystery subclade of I2, but it's nice to get more detail on my G subclade. CTS4803 doesn't seem unreasonable - I seem to be in the expected catchment area for it according to the G-L497 project.

I know a lot of people have gotten bizarre reference populations assigned, but these aren't too crazy, though not fully what I'd expected. I might have expected German rather than British, and Danish in the first rather than second place.

For comparison:

G-L497, IIRC a paper 2 years ago, states this marker is alpine from Austria ........Austrian have 80% of this subclade for their G people

http://www.blutspendezurich.ch/Media/File/Publikationen%202013/High%20resolution%20mapping%20of%20Y%20haplogroup% 20G%282%29.pdf

dp
01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
Dear Salkin,
Where did you find the reference population data?
Thanks,
dp :-)

For comparison:

Salkin
01-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Dear Salkin,
Thanks,

It's on the Geno 2.0 site after you log in, under "Explore Your Results" for "Your Regional Ancestry". I don't know if it's available to people without a Geno 2.0 result - can't seem to find a link to it offhand, anyhow.

ArmandoR1b
01-26-2015, 10:37 PM
Anyone can access the Geno 2.0 reference populations at https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/reference-populations/ as well as the 9 ancestral regions at https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/regions/

vettor
01-26-2015, 11:54 PM
Dear Salkin,
Thanks,

@salkin

they have weird results

mine

first preference - German
You 48% Mediterranean ........... 33% Northern European.....................18% Southwest Asian

how can you be German as your number 1 and me also , yet our numbers are vastly different?

They also have updated my SNP, with a message thats like .....we have updated our Ydna Tree blah blah .....have you ever seen a Ydna tree in natgeno2 ??

Salkin
01-27-2015, 07:44 AM
@salkin

they have weird results

mine

first preference - German
You 48% Mediterranean ........... 33% Northern European.....................18% Southwest Asian

how can you be German as your number 1 and me also , yet our numbers are vastly different?

They also have updated my SNP, with a message thats like .....we have updated our Ydna Tree blah blah .....have you ever seen a Ydna tree in natgeno2 ??

Yeah, the assigned reference populations seem to be very strange for a lot of people.

I've never seen a visualised Y (or mt, for that matter) tree, but they presumably have one in some form that they use to assign haplogroup designations. i.e. reference material that says "if you have SNPs x, y and z you belong to haplogroup a"