PDA

View Full Version : FTDNA policies related to project administrators - SNP testing

TigerMW
12-22-2014, 02:42 AM
Thomas Krahn has brought this up on another forum. That was going off tangent from the subclade specifics and topics.

FTDNA does make a statement to the effect that project administrators shouldn't be recommending competitive tests to FTDNA's. I don't have time to look up the statement and have not let it worry me but if some one like to discuss this, this is a good category for it.

I will invite Thomas to sign in here.

jbarry6899
12-22-2014, 03:12 AM
My recollection is that such a restriction was discussed on the FTDNA forums last year, but many administrators objected to the proposal and it was not implemented. I don't see it in the current guidelines:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/project-administration/gap-guidelines-ftdna-projects/

The only provision I see that is at all related is that administrators shall not "Use a DNA project to promote a business or commercial interest outside of the Family Tree DNA affiliate program." I read this to prohibit promoting the administrator's own business interest, not as prohibiting discussing or suggesting a test by another company.

If FTDNA has made a statement regarding a prohibition on recommending competitive tests, could someone provide a quotation and reference?

Jim

TigerMW
12-23-2014, 06:21 PM
My recollection is that such a restriction was discussed on the FTDNA forums last year, but many administrators objected to the proposal and it was not implemented. I don't see it in the current guidelines:

https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/project-administration/gap-guidelines-ftdna-projects/

The only provision I see that is at all related is that administrators shall not "Use a DNA project to promote a business or commercial interest outside of the Family Tree DNA affiliate program." I read this to prohibit promoting the administrator's own business interest, not as prohibiting discussing or suggesting a test by another company.

If FTDNA has made a statement regarding a prohibition on recommending competitive tests, could someone provide a quotation and reference?

Jim

I probably should be hung out on this, but to be honest I haven't read their policies closely. I just try to be reasonable.

Obviously, a project admin should not divulge personal contact information publicly or to other project members. I always send a direct email with a question to ask if they want the other party (requestor) to be able to contact them.

In terms of recommending non-FTDNA tests, I certainly think it is unethical to use FTDNA resources, including the personal contact info (that I didn't have prior), to recommend non-FTDNA products. However, I think that is one of the great values of these forums. Anyone who wants to publicly request more information or is generally curious can join in these forums which can and should be general free for all on recommendation discussions.

DebbieK
12-24-2014, 09:55 AM
It would seem wrong to me to use the FTDNA bulk e-mail system to recommend testing with 23andMe, Ancestry, Full Genomes, etc, but I don't see any reason why project admins can't discuss and recommend other testing companies on public mailing lists and forums or if a project member approaches us on an individual basis. We work as volunteers and not as FTDNA employees. Ultimately we want to ensure that our project members order the tests that best suit their needs and if that sometimes means recommending additional or alternative testing with another company then I don't see that there is a problem.

VinceT
12-24-2014, 11:19 PM
FTDNA has reiterated this policy in an e-mail recently sent to Group Administrators:

Bulk emails should not include mentions of or endorsements for other company’s tests. While we know and understand that people test at other companies, it’s not realistic to expect us to allow our infrastructure to be used to advertise for them. At this time, Yfull and GEDmatch don’t process tests, so they are not considered competitors. Ancestry, BritainsDNA, Yseq and others are, however, and any email that includes links to or endorsements of their products will be denied.

Another reason to use WorldFamilies.net or an independent website to host and manage your Group Project instead of FTDNA! :)

KSDA
12-25-2014, 12:04 AM
FTDNA wouldn't have to worry about competitors if they put some effort into providing better services.