PDA

View Full Version : FamilyTreeDNA Ancient_DNA project

dp
12-22-2014, 06:49 PM
I recently found and joined the FamilyTreeDNA Ancient_DNA project (https://www.familytreedna.com/public/Ancient_DNA) administered by Felix Chandrakumar of y-str (Genetic Genealogy Tools) (http://www.y-str.org/p/ancient-dna.html). It only has 54 members. I was the only USA on the map results for Y DNA.
It states you must match (but not to what extent) one of the following individuals: Altai Neanderthal, Clovis Anzick, Denisova, Hinxton-4, Linearbandkeramik (Stuggart), Loshbour, Paleo-Eskimo, BR2, Ust-Ishim or NE1.
dp :-)
PS: I'm hoping my 4.5cM (729 SNP) match to F999916 (LBK, Stuttgart, 7ky) qualifies.

Táltos
12-22-2014, 08:30 PM
It was interesting that he uploaded the Ancients to FTDNA and has myOrigins results for them. :biggrin1: http://www.fc.id.au/2014/12/ethinic-makeup-of-ancients-ftdnas.html

NE1 has 12% Jewish Diaspora!

dp
12-22-2014, 08:33 PM
It was interesting that he uploaded the Ancients to FTDNA and has myOrigins results for them. :biggrin1: http://www.fc.id.au/2014/12/ethinic-makeup-of-ancients-ftdnas.html

The descendants of the populations that the NE1 and LBK samples were taken from must have migrated south. Ust-Ishim seems to match everyone :-)
dp
some of the Bronze Age population that BR2 belonged to seemed to have vacationed in the Riveria for a bit :beerchug:

Táltos
12-22-2014, 08:35 PM
Ust-Ishim seems to match everyone :-)
dp

Yep he sure does!

dp
12-22-2014, 08:37 PM
NE1 has 12% Jewish Diaspora!

Oh yeh...I hadnt noticed the blue smug (an apt color for Ash). -dp :-)

dp
12-22-2014, 08:39 PM
It's ironic that we know Hinxton was taken from England, and yet they don't show any admix from there LOL.
dp
I wonder how close their green matches the homeland for the AS.

dp
12-22-2014, 08:44 PM
Yep he sure does!

When I looked at Ust-Ishim I noticed 3% MENA. I didnt realize they still had a Middle Eastern category. I lost my 9% MENA when they changed to MyOrigins.
dp
PS: (to cross threads some) Maybe with the addition of archaic remains they'll revise their methods in detecting NA ancestry (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?3620-How-much-Amerindian-do-White-Americans-score/page2).

Táltos
12-22-2014, 09:19 PM
When I looked at Ust-Ishim I noticed 3% MENA. I didnt realize they still had a Middle Eastern category. I lost my 9% MENA when they changed to MyOrigins.
dp

I can see in my results they list Middle Eastern with subcategories for me being Asia Minor, and North Africa. They also have another category for Eastern Middle East, but I did not score in that one.

parasar
12-23-2014, 04:08 PM
The descendants of the populations that the NE1 and LBK samples were taken from must have migrated south. Ust-Ishim seems to match everyone :-)
dp
some of the Bronze Age population that BR2 belonged to seemed to have vacationed in the Riveria for a bit :beerchug:

There are likely two reasons for that: his coverage and his age.

Looking at the link Táltos posted, an African origin for humans is supported. The older the genome the more affinity it has to SS Africa as can be seen from both the Neanderthal and Denisova genomes.

That South (30%) or South East (31%) Asia was the next stop is also likely if we go by the notion the Ust-Ishim type represents an early OoA. Among current populations he looks like a south/central Indian. I get the feeling that a pre-Ust-Ishim genome will skew even more towards SE Asia and Africa.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-RzmXCVxKE0k/VIlVb4pU5nI/AAAAAAAAfaE/8s5UHO7lR2U/s1600/Ust'-Ishim.PNG

Shaikorth
12-23-2014, 08:19 PM
There are likely two reasons for that: his coverage and his age.

Looking at the link Táltos posted, an African origin for humans is supported. The older the genome the more affinity it has to SS Africa as can be seen from both the Neanderthal and Denisova genomes.

That South (30%) or South East (31%) Asia was the next stop is also likely if we go by the notion the Ust-Ishim type represents an early OoA. Among current populations he looks like a south/central Indian. I get the feeling that a pre-Ust-Ishim genome will skew even more towards SE Asia and Africa.

Ust-Ishim gets lots of SSA in ADMIXTURE but I don't think it's that real, and not just a coverage issue either since Ust-Ishim is among the best coverages of any ancient genome. In formal testing, more distant from Africa means closer to Ust-Ishim so closest populations are Native Americans and East Asians.

dp
12-23-2014, 08:52 PM
I was the only USA on the map results for Y DNA.

Mine is not the only push pin in USA anymore. Another DF23 has joined the project. :wave:
I had never thought about looking at Y-STRs of archaic remains before, but I guess we will be able too as they come available & Felix can convert them.
dp :-)
PS: Merry Christmas.

parasar
12-23-2014, 09:28 PM
Ust-Ishim gets lots of SSA in ADMIXTURE but I don't think it's that real, and not just a coverage issue either since Ust-Ishim is among the best coverages of any ancient genome. In formal testing, more distant from Africa means closer to Ust-Ishim so closest populations are Native Americans and East Asians.

I believe he is slightly, albeit not significantly (statistical significance), closest to the Ongee of the Andamans likely a relic on the OoA path. So perhaps Admixture is catching some OoA type elements rather than the Basal European kind which has a return to Africa African element. Ust-Ishim should also be very close to other negritos with minimal Denisovan - such as the Aeta, Jehai, etc.
http://ac.els-cdn.com/S0002929711003958/1-s2.0-S0002929711003958-main.pdf?_tid=1c5e7442-8aea-11e4-adb9-00000aab0f01&acdnat=1419370063_f45d43254024117ace2452e934e49699

the modern humans who admixed with the ancestors of Australians and New Guineans were closer to Andamanese and Malaysian Negritos than to mainland East Asians... This suggests that populations with Denisova admixture could have been in proximity to the ancestors of the Onge and Jehai during the earliest settlement of the region but provides no evidence for ancestors of present-day East Asians in the region at that time (AppendixB ). Thus, these findings suggest that the present-day East Asian and Indonesian populations are primarily descended from more recent migrations to the region.

ADW_1981
12-24-2014, 02:14 PM
It's ironic that we know Hinxton was taken from England, and yet they don't show any admix from there LOL.
dp
I wonder how close their green matches the homeland for the AS.

I wouldn't be surprised if the plagues culling 40% of the population might have caused additional sharing among the two islands. Second, it's possible that a lot of the mutations which link UK/Ireland together into a cluster are younger than 2000 years. There is obviously still sharing between UK and western Europe, it's just not being picked up in the algorithm.

If you remember the amount of sharing UK + Ireland had within the last 500 years from a study heavily publicized 2 years ago... where all Europeans share many ancestors within 1000 years.

Shaikorth
12-24-2014, 03:21 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if the plagues culling 40% of the population might have caused additional sharing among the two islands. Second, it's possible that a lot of the mutations which link UK/Ireland together into a cluster are younger than 2000 years. There is obviously still sharing between UK and western Europe, it's just not being picked up in the algorithm.

If you remember the amount of sharing UK + Ireland had within the last 500 years from a study heavily publicized 2 years ago... where all Europeans share many ancestors within 1000 years.

MyOrigins algorithm sticks to just a few clusters when European ancient genomes are concerned, that much is obvious when you look at something like the Loschbour result which only has East Euro and Finnish even though Scandinavian, West European and British clusters should have much in common with WHG's too. I also suspect that the British cluster is recent, especially Irish drift which partly postdates Hinxton and explains that result.

Perhaps someone could show these results to Razib since he's involved with MyOrigins and ask what he thinks about them.