PDA

View Full Version : I2a1c

Barellalee
12-30-2014, 08:10 PM
Hello everyone, I've Posted in reference to this before, but have more info and questions. My Dad is from Yorkshire, England, and my Y-DNA is I2a1c L233. I've recently learned that there are two minimally separate forms of this, one called Western and one called Western Isles. The original L233 is Dated to NW Europe, about 4,000 YBP, and all L233 is found at a low frequency across Continental NW European countries and the British Isles. I've seen largely the speculation that L233 arrived in Britain in the Dark Ages with the Germanic migrations, which would appear to make sense, but not sure if this is confirmed. If it is indeed about 4,000 years old, then the scenario of it coming to Britain from the Continent rather than visa versa seems most plausible. Therefore, the brand called Western Isles must therefore be also of Continental origin, correct? Less the "Isles" identifying some indigenous British lineage, which by Dating seems problematic. Any info on I2a Western/Western Isles, appreciated.

keroinomane
01-12-2015, 09:35 AM
I think I-L233 is native in (north)western Europe and it was more common before R1b invasion.

LePrieur
01-29-2020, 09:34 PM
I am of this particular subclade as well, I was wondering if someone would help me in the direction for further downstream testing? YSEQ or what have you?

digital_noise
01-29-2020, 09:38 PM
FTDNA has Big Y, Yseq has an equivalent. I suggest waiting for some sort of sale though. FTDNA now charges for the BAM file, but you can upload to YFull for $40 or so with a .VCF. I recommend doing this as people from FTDNA, Yseq etc.. upload there as opposed to FTDNA which only has other FTDNA testers.

digital_noise
01-29-2020, 11:27 PM
Oh, and if you go the FTDNA route, dont bother with any test other than Big Y. The others (Y-100 etc) are not for terminal subclade predictions. Big Y is the only FTDNA test that will give you the most recent haplogroup as well as update as more people test

artemv
01-30-2020, 05:06 AM
I am of this particular subclade as well, I was wondering if someone would help me in the direction for further downstream testing? YSEQ or what have you?

Genrally, you have 3 options:
1. YSEQ - cheap option. If you are very interested, but cannot afford Big-Y, I would recomment this option. They only check for known SNPs.
2. FTDNA Big-Y. They check parts of Y-chromosome with high probability of mutations. As a result, you get *.bam file you can upload to y-full. And they have their system to search for possible relatives.
3. Dante Labs. They analyse all the 100% percent of DNA, and return you medical quality results (each nucletide is read at least 30 times). Their test is just a little more expensive, comparing to Big-Y, but again, you get all the 100% of your DNA. They only offer medical-related analysis for your DNA, no ancestry pie-charts, no sort a system to search for genetical relatives. You can upload their results to Y-full.

Generally, the best way to analyse your Y-DNA for SNPs is y-full. Options 2 and 3 are just different ways to get the file you will later upload to y-full.