PDA

View Full Version : Will You Take the AncestryDNA Test?

Scarlet Ibis
10-08-2012, 02:11 AM
Is anyone here interested in taking the AncestryDNA test, or has anyone already taken it?

I've been looking at the sample results on blogs, and it looks like they have quite a few kinks to iron out. I probably won't get one, but I went ahead and put myself on the waiting list anyway to receive an email when kits are available.

I wasn't the least bit interested before, but I saw this thread here (http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?373-AncestryDNA-to-offer-raw-data-to-folks-in-2013) that Wing Genealogist made, announcing that AncestryDNA will offer raw data soon.

Wing Genealogist
10-08-2012, 09:47 AM
I had taken the test, basically because I was offered a low price, being in essence a beta tester for their product. I personally don't see all too much use in it (especially as it is now without access to the raw data), but Ancestry is the 500 lb gorilla in the genealogy market and that, along with eventual access to the raw data, may make a difference someday.

GTC
10-08-2012, 11:00 AM
No, because I don't trust the motives of the company involved.

AJL
10-08-2012, 02:52 PM
Probably, if they put a chromosome browser and raw data download into place and keep their costs low once the beta is over.

But like GTC, I also have my reservations about some aspects of their privacy policy. I have tested multiple relatives with FTDNA and a few with 23andme, but would likely only test myself with Ancestry because of those policies, and because I have now been able to map a fair bit out thanks to those multiple relatives tested.

Scarlet Ibis
10-13-2012, 05:25 AM
I had taken the test, basically because I was offered a low price, being in essence a beta tester for their product. I personally don't see all too much use in it (especially as it is now without access to the raw data), but Ancestry is the 500 lb gorilla in the genealogy market and that, along with eventual access to the raw data, may make a difference someday.

What were your results? Did they match up with your known ancestry? From the results I saw on blogs, it looked like they grossly overestimate Scandinavian ancestry. I also saw where a 100% German person got something like 90% British.

The good thing about the test, though, is that it looks promising to me. Assuming they continue to update results for free, of course, when/if they get more accurate.

I got an email from Ancestry.com on Tuesday with an invite code to buy the test for $99. It only took them 2 days to send the invite after I signed up for the wait list....MUCH less time than I'd expected. The way they were talking, I thought it would take about a month or so. I think I'll have to let it expire, anyway, because I don't have any money to burn this month. Too bad.

Wing Genealogist
10-13-2012, 09:52 AM
To be honest, I really haven't worked all that much with my autosomal DNA. I do see where my AncestryDNA results likely does overestimate my Scandinavian ancestry (where it shows me as 39% with the rest being British Isles). I do like how you can attach your family tree to the DNA results, and the potential to help find out where DNA matches originated, but it appears my colonial New England ancestry was far too inter-related to ever rely on an automated process.

AncestryDNA's recent announcement that they will be allowing us customers access to the raw data will certainly make their results much more meaningful.

rivergirl
11-02-2012, 07:20 AM
Ancestry are offering ancestryDNA online for subscribers, US only, for $129.00.
I wonder whne they will offer it to those of us not in the US and what postage they will offer.
(23 and me wanted 70.00 for postage to Australia. What a rip off.)

AJL
11-02-2012, 03:20 PM
Are they checking credit cards to make sure they are US-issued? Or could you use a remailing service?

rivergirl
11-05-2012, 03:01 AM
I didnt get to the payment stage, I entered the mailing address and when I proceeded to the next stage it kept coming up as an error with the address.
I eventually found in the small print that it is only open to the US.

Maybe oneday they will open it to other countires, but at the moment there is not point me testing if I will only be compared with Americans.
My family are recently from Europe and the UK, so I wouldnt find many close matches within the US. Most of the US matches I have at FTDNA are very distant.

AJL
04-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Does anybody know if a US prepaid Visa card, a remailing service, and a VPN used together would allow one to get ancestry.dna from outside the US? It seems fairly drastic, but they do have raw data downloads now.

geebee
04-08-2013, 01:44 AM
"Are they checking credit cards to make sure they are US-issued? Or could you use a remailing service?"

That would certainly be annoying. I have a U.S. address myself -- just happen to be out of the country most of the time. I already have my test results, but I may also want to order for family members in the U.S. I could use one of my U.S. cards, of course, but that isn't the point.

Even if they only ship to U.S. addresses, they still should not care what the physical address of the requestor is at the time of ordering.

(At least I was able to download my data file from Malaysia.)

AJL
04-08-2013, 02:01 AM
Perhaps they should just change their Terms of Service to accomodate overseas shipping (or at least in cases where there is one of a US card/US physical address/US account holder); it seems they're cutting themselves off from a large market.

geebee
04-08-2013, 04:17 AM
I had the problem of having to redo the test, and I'd already left the U.S. by the point I'd gotten the notice. If I'm remembering correctly, they would not have been able to send a new kit to my foreign address. Fortunately, I was able to have them send it to my U.S. address, and I used the kit while I was back for a visit (and sent it from there).

But this was also a free kit, so I didn't have to use any credit card. If I had, I would have had U.S.-issued cards available. Still, it would be strange if I couldn't order a kit for my dad now (he lives in Pennsylvania) or one of my five siblings.

The DNA testing companies really should want my business, especially since in addition to the already-mentioned relatives I have some 11 paternal aunts and uncles and dozens of first cousins. :)

balizan2
06-04-2013, 03:10 AM
Yes I have taken the Ancestry DNA test but it was not as complete as ftDNA is. I mean that according to ftDNA I'm an U5a1b1b but on Ancestry I'm an U5a1 only? Still not sure what it all means though. Also I took the Geno Project 2.0 with National geographic.and to the I'm U5a1b1b.

jeanL
03-21-2014, 06:17 PM
I just ordered an AncestryDNA kit, but one thing that I was thinking was, that if in their raw data they include SNPs for the Y Chromosome. From what I read online it seems their AncestryDNA includes some ~800 SNPs in the Y-Chromosome labeled as Chromosome 24 in their raw data. Now, can anyone who has taken the test check if they test for R1b-P312 among their tested SNPs? I just want to know, because I will take the test myself if it test for P312 (rs34276300 C=>A) or better yet for DF27, but if it doesn't I might test a family member that provides more informative genealogical data.

Wulf Warrior
06-17-2014, 06:32 PM
If it ever comes to the UK, sure I will!

Dr_McNinja
06-19-2014, 09:13 AM
I wonder, how many of their SNPs in the autosomal test overlap with FTDNA's Family Finder or 23andMe?