PDA

View Full Version : G2a2a and mountainous areas?

Dr_McNinja
02-04-2015, 12:05 PM
Both Eupedia and Wikipedia mentioned this possible association. Is there anything to it?

I've found one Punjabi G2a2a individual (G-PF3146). On Yfull there's one Punjabi from Lahore sharing Otzi's G2a2a1b1a1. The individual I found on 23andMe is a Punjabi from the Pahari/mountainous areas at the border with Kashmir. They speak Western Punjabi dialect which is mostly spoken in Pahari areas (also called Potwari/Potohari/etc). Pahari literally means "mountainous" and can refer to the entire Himalayan area from the west in Kashmir to the east in Nepal.

Just thought it was an interesting coincidence that this person was also from a mountainous area and an ethnic/linguistic group known for that (HRP0283 in Harappa Project).

Humanist
02-14-2015, 09:45 AM
Both Eupedia and Wikipedia mentioned this possible association. Is there anything to it?

I know of at least two Assyrians who are members of G2a2a. And, although many Assyrians did live in mountainous areas, as it happens, these two individuals did not. Though, it is possible, I suppose, that their ancestors did originate in a mountainous area at some point in the past.

Very neat that the Punjabi fella from Lahore is G2a2a1b1a1.

palamede
02-14-2015, 03:46 PM
They are diverse opinions about the subject but the higher frequency of G is in West Caucasus .
In Central Europe, we can think the first Neolithic G2a were repulsed by successive invasions in high alpine valleys : Tyrol and East Switzerland. There they became skilfull sheperds and expanded in other moutainous areas : Appeninnes, Black Forest, Wales and some clues for the French Central Massif, but we lack for serious and fiable scientific studies as for a lot of French regions.

In Med., they colonized mountainous islands mainly like Crete, Corsica, Sardinia and Ibiza.

ayhan
02-11-2020, 10:34 PM
Hi, my paternal ancestors are from the same area. I belong to G-FGC34451.

cheshire
03-03-2020, 07:40 AM

Cool, are they highlanders too?

ayhan
03-11-2020, 09:08 PM
i guess so lol

TonyC
03-11-2020, 11:37 PM
MY paternal grandfather was G2A2A and from a mountainous mainland region of mainland Greece: Messinia, Peloponnese. His village was at least 1000 years old and pre-dated the Ottomans.

Kristiina
03-12-2020, 06:16 AM
G2a2a was very frequent in the European Neolithic, in the Balkans, in Spain, in LBK. It has been found in the early Neolithic of Greece and Sardinia. Instead, G2a2b2a has been detected in Cucuteni Trypillia. The frequency of G2a2a decreases during the Chalcolithic, but it was still relatively frequent in Chalcolithic Spain, Portugal, Hungary and Italy (Sardinia). During the Chalcolithic G2a2b expands while G2a2a decreases. G2a2-rich cultures seem to be Vučedol and Baden. There are also some G2a2 samples in Bell Beakers. Both G2a2a and G2a2b have been frequently detected in Nuragic Sardinians. G2a2 appears relatively frequently also among the Imperial, late Antiquity and Medieval Romans.

Apart from Anatolia Neolithic, the oldest G2a2a in Asia is from Maykop Novosvobodnaya, and there is also one from BA Sappali Tepe, Uzbekistan.

Johnny ola
03-12-2020, 07:29 AM
I belong to this Ydna (G2a-L14) and my roots coming from a mountainous region in NORTHEAST of Anatolia in modern gumushane and trabzon borders. I am matching with a Greek guy from Sparti and with an other Pontic Greek from Trabzon.

MonkeyDLuffy
04-12-2020, 10:37 AM

I have some Sikh Tarkhan DNA matches with same paternal Haplogroup as you. They all are from Majha (Amritsar) area.

ayhan
04-21-2020, 10:49 AM
Nice. Do you possibly have an idea of where this haplogroup originates from? Is it an Indian neolithic haplogroup or BMAC derived potentially ?

MonkeyDLuffy
04-21-2020, 12:36 PM
Nice. Do you possibly have an idea of where this haplogroup originates from? Is it an Indian neolithic haplogroup or BMAC derived potentially ?

It's related to Neolithic expansion, so most likely arrived with Iran Neolithic farmers.

peloponnesian
12-30-2020, 04:15 PM
MY paternal grandfather was G2A2A and from a mountainous mainland region of mainland Greece: Messinia, Peloponnese. His village was at least 1000 years old and pre-dated the Ottomans.

I'm predicted to be G2a2a as well, and my paternal grandfather was from a mountain village in Laconia. Have you taken any of the tests specific to Y-DNA (YSEQ panel or FTDNA)? Thanks

TonyC
12-30-2020, 06:16 PM
I'm predicted to be G2a2a as well, and my paternal grandfather was from a mountain village in Laconia. Have you taken any of the tests specific to Y-DNA (YSEQ panel or FTDNA)? Thanks

No I haven't yet. Have you? Pretty rare clade in Greece I'm guessing fairly old as well. Where in Laconia is your grandfather's village?

Hawk
12-30-2020, 06:20 PM
Didn't in Europe survive the most around the Alps?

Neolithic Balkans was overhelmly G2a as well, we wrongly thought it would be E-V13.

peloponnesian
01-01-2021, 02:09 PM
No I haven't yet. Have you? Pretty rare clade in Greece I'm guessing fairly old as well. Where in Laconia is your grandfather's village?

No, I haven't done a Y-DNA test. Yeah, it's rare and it'd be interesting to see if I can find how/when it ended up there. My grandpa's village is in NW Laconia, near the administrative borders with Arcadia and Messenia.

Sorcelow
01-05-2021, 08:20 PM
No, I haven't done a Y-DNA test. Yeah, it's rare and it'd be interesting to see if I can find how/when it ended up there. My grandpa's village is in NW Laconia, near the administrative borders with Arcadia and Messenia.

I am also from this area. May I ask which village in particular your grandfather is from?

peloponnesian
01-08-2021, 12:48 PM
I am also from this area. May I ask which village in particular your grandfather is from?

He's from this area:

https://i.imgur.com/kWvV053.png