PDA

View Full Version : The microbiology that is necessary for our lives

Anne L
02-18-2015, 10:30 AM
I saw this on Swedish television. The speaker use Swedish language, but most of the texts are in English. It is easy for an English speaker to understand the program.
http://www.svtplay.se/video/2681607/vetenskapens-varld/vetenskapens-varld-avsnitt-5

The original video was made in Australia I think, I tried to find the source to the swedish program, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to search. Hope you enjoy this program!

AJL
02-18-2015, 03:24 PM
^ Unfortunately it will only work if you are in Sweden.

Anne L
02-18-2015, 05:17 PM
^^^
Oh, that's bad. They had a sign on SVT play that told it was possible to see it in other countries as well. But I will search for the original program, directed by Ana Maria Talas.

It was so interesting that we can develop so many strange things like psychological diseases, fatness, way of thinking, etc because of the microorganisms we carry in our guts and on such, that we cooperate with to function. We are like the soil we ruin faster and faster, because we kill all life there, all the small organisms. Some are really beneficial for us, parasitic worms (for animals) were taken as an example. Having them in our guts could eliminate some bacteria that are not beneficial for us, the ugly organisms help us. It is such a complicated weave that we just have began to understand some of it. And it seems to be the carbohydrates that feed the harmful bacteria, the ones that kill off the good for us in our guts.

The microorganisms are "creating" as as much as our genes. Or almost. You are what you eat...:)

AJL
02-18-2015, 08:07 PM
There's been some great research on intestinal bacteria and diabetes, for example, but what is even more astounding to me is they may soon be able to cure many cases of anaphylaxis with bacteria, as well as C. difficile infections with fecal transplants.

There's also been some suggestion that certain parasites like the hookworm may help some people's immune systems.

Táltos
02-19-2015, 05:11 AM
There's been some great research on intestinal bacteria and diabetes, for example, but what is even more astounding to me is they may soon be able to cure many cases of anaphylaxis with bacteria, as well as C. difficile infections with fecal transplants.

There's also been some suggestion that certain parasites like the hookworm may help some people's immune systems.

Yes fecal transplants work. One of my coworkers' father had C-diff. He had a fecal transplant via a nasogastric tube, and was cured. And YIKES can you just imagine! But C-diff is a very bad infection that no one wants.

Genetics also might play a role in H. pylori infection. http://www.medpagetoday.com/Gastroenterology/PepticUlcerDisease/38960 http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK2435/

jayphilip
04-13-2015, 07:45 AM
Some are really helpful for us, parasitic viruses (for animals) were taken as an example. Having them in our courage could remove some dangerous bacteria that are not valuable for us, the unpleasant creatures help us. It is such a complex incorporate that we just have started to comprehend some of it. And it seems to be the carbohydrate food that nourish the viruses, the ones that destroy off the excellent for us in our courage.