PDA

View Full Version : mtDNA test from Oxford Ancestors too general.

Hando
03-02-2015, 04:27 PM
Hi all, I've got a question. I took Oxford Ancestor's mtDNA test in 2007. At that time all they gave me was a maternal clan nickname. It was too general and totally unhelpful. Today I asked them if they could give me the subclade specifics. They said they could not. Totally unhelpful once again. Is there any way that I can use my mtDNA test results from that occasion to get more specific subclade information somewhere else?
Thanks

Petr
03-02-2015, 05:30 PM
Was it this service? http://www.oxfordancestors.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage/product_id,17/category_id,6/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,67/

They claim to test 400 bp. It may be HVR1, its size is 568 bp.

But I see that there is written:
What you will receive?

A readout of the relevant part of your mitochondrial chromosome (400 base pairs of DNA sequence).Do you have it?

In general, HVR1 test does not provide enough information for more precise classification.

GailT
03-03-2015, 12:56 AM
You can check to see if James Lick's mthap tool reads their results, or post the rCRS results here. In some cases you can predict a more specific subclade from HVR results.

Hando
03-04-2015, 12:18 PM
Was it this service? http://www.oxfordancestors.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,flypage/product_id,17/category_id,6/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,67/

They claim to test 400 bp. It may be HVR1, its size is 568 bp.

But I see that there is written:Do you have it?

In general, HVR1 test does not provide enough information for more precise classification.

Hi thanks Petr and Gail. Yes this seems to be the test I took back in 2007. I just noticed it is 200GBP. For that amount one would think they'd try a bit harder and give me more than some made up maternal clan mother's name which I find ridiculous. On top of that Ms. Hillary Prince's answer to my question of whether I could get more specific details such as subclades etc was a short, curt and completely unhelpful negative without nary an effort to suggest any other option. Terrible attitude and terrible customer service.>:(

Hando
03-04-2015, 12:20 PM
You can check to see if James Lick's mthap tool reads their results, or post the rCRS results here. In some cases you can predict a more specific subclade from HVR results.

Could you please tell me how I can go about getting more specifics? I have no idea what HVP or rCRS or mthap tool are.

Mythtown
03-04-2015, 09:26 PM
Oxford Ancestors was the first company I tested with ... back in 2006, I think. It was far and away the least amount of information for the money. Regarding the Y-line, they concluded something to the effect that I am "kinda celtic," which may not be too far from the truth, I suppose...

Petr
03-04-2015, 09:59 PM
Could you please tell me how I can go about getting more specifics? I have no idea what HVP or rCRS or mthap tool are.Is it possible to put here the list of your mutations? Either as an attachment or directly.

dp
03-04-2015, 10:29 PM
Could you please tell me how I can go about getting more specifics? I have no idea what HVP or rCRS or mthap tool are.

HyperVariable Region (or control region) mutates faster than the coding region. The first is divided into 3 areas but all total has <1000 bases, the later has roughly 14500 or so. rCRS is a reference standard. It is a revision of the Cambridge Reference Standard. I prefer the newer Reconstructed Sapiens Reference Standard. Your results should specify what standard they are using.
dp :-)

Hando
03-08-2015, 01:25 AM
Is it possible to put here the list of your mutations? Either as an attachment or directly.
Could you please let me know how to go about doing this?
Thanks

Petr
03-08-2015, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry, I don't know what raw data you have received from Oxford Ancestors. Or at least the list of mutations.

Ceri
04-12-2015, 04:58 PM
Hi. I did tests around the same time with Oxford. Just had a Wales DNA test for my brother both Y & redid Mtdna too. Results are far more detailed. I also emailed asking for more info on my previous results(asked uncle to do Ydna) and had a similar reply. I realise that the R1b result I have is very general and a lot more detail is available.