PDA

View Full Version : Grizly Bear Paw will shock you

MikeWhalen
03-04-2015, 10:16 PM
Here is a pic I've seen a few times and believe it is genuine...it is stunning to see the size of these brown bears!!
I'm sure its a large male, and the lady might very well be a smallish female human, but still, you'd think you would need a howitzer to put this big guy down if he came after you!

this is the info that came with the picture, I think its the woman in the pic speaking...
"This is how big a grizzly bears paw is - by the way, the bear is sedated and about to be tagged. I'm in absolute awe!"

Mike

rms2
03-05-2015, 02:16 AM
Grizzlies are big, but that woman may be a hobbit. I think she is Bilbo's secret squeeze.

rock hunter
03-05-2015, 04:39 AM
WOW
Remind me never to go in a forest ever again
Is that a Canadian Bear

MikeWhalen
03-05-2015, 01:01 PM
Yes, that bear was specifically Canadian, in BC I think...generally,the species ranges in the north west of North America mostly, so Washington State, Alaska have them for sure, so does BC, Alberta, Yukon and the northern territories

regarding size...from wiki...can you imagine running into one of the bigger ones at 10 ft tall and 1,500 lbs? you can see how a paw could be that big in the pic

"One study found that the average weight for an inland male grizzly was around 270 kilograms (600 lb) and the average weight for a coastal male was around 408 kilograms (900 lb). For a female, these average weights would be 136 kilograms (300 lb) inland and 227 kilograms (500 lb) coastal, respectively.[12] On the other hand, an occasional huge male grizzly has been recorded which greatly exceeds ordinary size, with weights reported up to 680 kg (1,500 lb).[13] A large coastal male of this size may stand up to 3 metres (9.8 ft) tall on its hind legs and be up to 1.5 metres (4.9 ft) at the shoulder.[14]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grizzly_bear

The grizzly bear is one of my fav. animals...smart, resourceful, moms are great moms, terrifying when attacking and cute rolly polly cubs

did you ever see the Hertzog documentary called 'Grizzly Man"? about a nut who got too crazy about protecting grizzlies and ended up getting eaten on camera by one? an excellent movie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Treadwell

Another excellent movie I thought was 'The Edge' with Anthony Hopkins...a huge grizz plays 'the bad guy', which is not really true in nature, but it certainly showed the power and smarts of the Griz...and humans who get pushed to the edge

Mike

ps, only the smaller black bears in my area, thank god...300-400 lbs usually, which is big enough but not a damn monster like the grizz
...I ran into a mother and its cubs once when as a 12ish yr old kid, a pal of mine and I were playing at my Aunts camp on the shores of Lake Superior...she charged us briefly, and we ran faster than I have ever run before! fortunately, once she saw us running away, she stopped and went back to the cub...nothing quite as scary as really running from an angry mother bear protecting her cubs

Mike

Kaido
03-05-2015, 01:58 PM
Man, I'd love to see a 600lb tiger go up against a 600lb grizzly.

rivergirl
03-05-2015, 02:24 PM
Grizzlies are big, but that woman may be a hobbit. I think she is Bilbo's secret squeeze.
I'm sure Hobbitt town does not have grizzlys :biggrin1:
Maybe it's a Kiwi variant.:biggrin1::biggrin1:

MikeWhalen
03-05-2015, 02:28 PM
Adam
there used to be a 'reality' show on one of the cable networks that did a theoretical animal vs animal combat scenario...they would do some testing of the bite/paws/claws agility ect of the various animals and then run a computer simulation

I believe they did a griz vs tiger scenario and they figured the griz would win...due to the knockout punch power of its paw swat...of course, like any computer thing, garbage in, garbage out

here is one discussion I found that seemed to deal with the question sensibly
http://www.lairweb.org.nz/tiger/conflict13.html

btw, the tiger is my fav animal so there is no 'bear bias' in my 2 cents, which is, more often than not, grizly bear wins

jm2c

Mike

J Man
03-06-2015, 04:30 AM
Holy macaroni!

rock hunter
03-06-2015, 05:31 PM
lol I like that , only 300 or 400 pounds. A snapping 35 pound dog chasing me across a yard and up a very sappy pine tree as a kid was scary enough .
Ok so do you stop and yell at the bear chasing you and hope the bluff works or do you fall to the ground play dead and hope the bear is not too hungry or playful.

MikeWhalen
03-06-2015, 06:39 PM
if its a mother bear protecting cubs, they recommend you get away and thus remove the perceived threat to her cubs as soon as possible
...there are real charges and more 'display' charges...the one with me did the later. Backing away kinda slow is probably the preferred choice, except since she was charging, that would put us in her grasp rather quickly...running was the only bet and she would not/did not follow too far because she would not leave the cubs

If your walking in the bush and come across a bear by surprise, both of you are probably surprised and they say standing up tall, waving arms and yelling is good cause most bears are shy and usually not very aggressive and they will run first (grizz's and polar bears especially are a big exception)

-common sense has to prevail of course, if they are eating a kill, they might think you are trying to take it and so doing something aggressive is probably dumb
-also, some bears can be aggressive or hurt, if you think you are being stalked, aggression by you is no good, best to run-I know, running can trigger the chase response (although it is less in bears than say big cats or wolves), but if you dont have a bear gun, you run out of good options quickly-bears are damn fast over short distances

I dont want to pretend to be the expert, I'm not, but from what I've read, the drop and pretend your dead is a fairly risky-lousy way of trying to save yourself...many tried it and still got mauled

climbing a tree is ok with the brown bears as they are way too big to climb up them (although they can knock down a smallish tree) but the smaller black bear is an excellent climber and they probably could get you

bottom line, if its the smaller black bear, you probably have more options and are in less danger...the bigger meaner brown bears (griz, kodiacs) are another story

as a final tidbit, up here in Canada, it is very hard to get a hand gun license, there are several hoops you have to jump through to get one and still lots of finicky rules for carrying it afterwards
-but for the longest time there has been a special category of permit which was much easier to get for 'wilderness protection'-trappers, miners, loggers and such were eligible and it was usually a 44 magnum handgun, just for bears..I know a few who have this license, and they really really never leave home without one when they go into the bush for work...we got lots and lots of bears, approx 105,000 in Ontario

this article is from the spring last year, in 13 days, there were 11 bear in the center of my city calls to police-the 'P' patch is a heavily populated family houses area in the middle of the Soo...and about 6 long blocks from me
http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=73105

and in 2012 on Halloween night in the same area...
http://www.oodmag.com/community/showthread.php?37798-Bear-shot-Halloween-Night-Sault-Ste-Marie

Mike

rms2
03-06-2015, 11:08 PM
From one of my favorite films of all time:

http://youtu.be/FcsXC2xFis4

rock hunter
03-06-2015, 11:56 PM
Oh yeah lol Jeremiah Johnson !! I have to find my DVD and watch it now.
I bet you would like Dick Proenneke and his Alone in the Wilderness DVD
Makes me want to sell everything and move to the Yukon
Ex Colorado Outward Bound School here ,went climbing and hiking with the senator from Colorado long before he was famous.

MikeWhalen
05-03-2015, 05:59 PM
I ran into this and thought it pretty amazing...I knew bears were fast in the short run, but this mom Griz just kept going and going
...amazing stamina and who knew they could do such a long hard run...the only thing she had trouble with was cornering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBBmdays-c4

Mike

Arbogan
05-06-2015, 12:22 PM
Here is a pic I've seen a few times and believe it is genuine...it is stunning to see the size of these brown bears!!
I'm sure its a large male, and the lady might very well be a smallish female human, but still, you'd think you would need a howitzer to put this big guy down if he came after you!

this is the info that came with the picture, I think its the woman in the pic speaking...
"This is how big a grizzly bears paw is - by the way, the bear is sedated and about to be tagged. I'm in absolute awe!"

Mike

You don't need a howitzer, you need a nitro .700 express

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLxMlL333_Y

on the question of whether a bear or a tiger would win. Here is a live battle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLGOk5fG990

I think 1 on 1, the bear would definitely win. Here are two tigers fighting a much smaller black bear. It looks like it can hold its own. Grizzlys are twice its size. The bears semi-bipedal movement would allow it to avoid tiger charges.