PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe shipping costs

BalkanKiwi
03-08-2015, 12:56 AM
Shipping to Australia costs 74.95 USD which is equivalent to 97 AUD. In total it costs 226 AUD for the kit. I know the shipping includes return but has anyone in other countries paid high shipping fees like that? I don't know why it's so large compared to FTDNA, even if it includes return. Probably due to being express.

DebbieK
03-08-2015, 01:28 PM
23andMe send all their kits outside the US by courier which makes it very expensive. Now that they have started selling the health reports in the UK and have dedicated UK website they've included the cost of the courier service in the test. We're now paying 125, which is double the price of the Family Finder test from the UK which works out at around 65. AncestryDNA are similarly charging double the price here (119 - 99 for the test and 20 for the postage).

There are package forwarders that can use to order a 23andMe test which is supposed to make it cheaper though I've not tried any of these services myself:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Shipping_DNA_kits

However, with the new UK website you can't now order a kit from the US.

Ann Turner
03-13-2015, 02:58 PM
I don't know about AncestryDNA, but 23andMe pays any customs duties. I suspect FTDNA is flying under the radar.

AJL
03-13-2015, 03:35 PM
23andMe send all their kits outside the US by courier which makes it very expensive. Now that they have started selling the health reports in the UK and have dedicated UK website they've included the cost of the courier service in the test. We're now paying 125, which is double the price of the Family Finder test from the UK which works out at around 65. AncestryDNA are similarly charging double the price here (119 - 99 for the test and 20 for the postage).

There are package forwarders that can use to order a 23andMe test which is supposed to make it cheaper though I've not tried any of these services myself:

http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Shipping_DNA_kits

However, with the new UK website you can't now order a kit from the US.

It's the same deal in Canada, you can only order 23andme couriered to an address in Canada, I suppose to avoid the wrath of the USFDA, because the Canadian and UK versions include health info. (It's $199 CAD which is about 105 GBP.)

Ancestry still doesn't sell DNA here.