PDA

View Full Version : Bears

Baltimore1937
03-10-2015, 01:01 PM
Here's something from the local paper:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2015/03/09/4174990/grizzly-bear-recovery-efforts.html

I don't get out into the back-country anymore.

apophis99942
05-20-2015, 06:33 PM
I learnt that when a polar bear lowers its head it means that it is about to attack.

surbakhunWeesste
05-20-2015, 06:43 PM
What about when they decide to wave back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1IWOLl5YU

Baltimore1937
07-01-2015, 02:15 AM
This aint about bears, but I didn't know where to stick this article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/06/30/world/europe/poland-wants-bison-to-multiply-but-others-prefer-subtraction.html?_r=0

I saw some of these critters in the East Berlin zoo (Tierpark) back in 1964, while on a Sunday tour. We GIs were in uniform (mandatory), along with Russian soldiers in uniform around the park.

Baltimore1937
07-22-2015, 07:50 AM
Here's another Bear yarn:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/bear-naps-florida_55ae59c2e4b0a9b948527f70?

AJL
07-22-2015, 08:18 AM
http://www.9news.com/story/news/local/2015/07/15/bear-breaks-into-pie-shop-and-makes-a-mess/30210929/

I did see a pair of black bears a couple weeks back. Fortunately, in the countryside, not a pie shop.

rms2
07-22-2015, 11:55 AM
We have a lot of black bears here in Virginia. They love to raid bird feeders. There was one raiding bird feeders in our little neighborhood a couple of weeks ago, but fortunately he or she passed mine by.

tamilgangster
07-23-2015, 12:58 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuV3YMEhAB8

Bears are funny they would make a great pet

MikeWhalen
08-16-2015, 02:25 AM
yikes, no picture yet, but apparently there is a black bear in my neighborhood tonight...2 blocks from my house to be exact...time to keep the old eyes peeled

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=96441

Mike

Táltos
08-16-2015, 03:20 AM
yikes, no picture yet, but apparently there is a black bear in my neighborhood tonight...2 blocks from my house to be exact...time to keep the old eyes peeled

http://www.sootoday.com/content/news/details.asp?c=96441

Mike

The place I grew up in is called Bear Creek. You guessed it, we saw bears on a regular basis. It is located on top of a mountain, and the woods were just beyond our backyard. When I was 4 years old before our back porch was closed in, a bear came and was looking in our dining room window. I can remember another time a bear cub went up a tree to escape a forest fire.

AJL
08-16-2015, 04:15 AM

Mike:

It's a terrible years for blueberries in the Canadian Shield, so the bears are coming into town. I go picking every year in eastern Manitoba, and this year I found quite literally two berries, and I usually can pick a few pints easily in my spot, until I run out of containers or until the mosquitoes and hornets get too much.

DMXX
08-16-2015, 04:22 AM
I read a while ago that climate change is driving polar bears to migrate further south into Canada's mainland, where they've been intermixing with the local bear populations.

Have any of our Canadian members seen these hybrid bears in person yet? I've wondered how noticeable the phenomenon might be.

AJL
08-16-2015, 04:44 AM
^ I'm about 1,000 kilometres too far south to see this, but it's an interesting if troubling phenomenon.

MikeWhalen
08-16-2015, 04:56 AM
I think the intermixing is pretty rare DMXX-I have only seen one account of it in the last few years...and that bear looked kinda weird, as in, not sure how healthy it was...sort of a chromosomal issue...they needed dna testing to confirm its a real hybrid

But the other part, of the warming reducing the ice pack and the bears coming more south is true...alot of the northern communities have had more of a bear problem than they used to...and a hungry polar bear is no joke, it is unbelievable how powerful they are https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQp7pGLZJM8

fortunately, as northern as I am, you still have to go another 1000K to get to the Ontario communities (mostly Native) that are along Hudsons Bay or Polar Bear Provincial Park to run into one. We have no Brown bears (ie Grizzlies) either in Ontario so its just the little black bear that wanders into town via the green ways and learn about easy meals.

AJL
I heard locally that at the beginning of summer, there was a big increase of problem bears in the province, not because of food so much, but the bugs were in truely fiendish numbers and drove the poor beasts out of the forests-it has since become a very dry summer so i think it has gone back more to normal...I have heard of co workers going out to their 'spots' to pick berries so it sounds like it is a regular year for us here

I must say, while I love berries, I hated the few times i ever went to pick them...I found it hot, lots of bugs and my back ached from picking the blasted things...The only berry picking I ever likes was my Gma had a line of raspberry bushes along her back yard fence, so 5 min worth of work, and you had enough for the 2 of us to sprinkle over our bowl of ice cream
:)

Mike

Táltos
08-16-2015, 05:10 AM
There is this. http://news.ucsc.edu/2013/03/polar-bear-genomics.html

DNA study clarifies relationship between polar bears and brown bears
March 14, 2013
By Tim Stephens
At the end of the last ice age, a population of polar bears was stranded by the receding ice on a few islands in southeastern Alaska. Male brown bears swam across to the islands from the Alaskan mainland and mated with female polar bears, eventually transforming the polar bear population into brown bears.

Evidence for this surprising scenario emerged from a new genetic study of polar bears and brown bears led by researchers at the University of California, Santa Cruz. The findings, published March 14 in PLOS Genetics, upend prevailing ideas about the evolutionary history of the two species, which are closely related and known to produce fertile hybrids.

Previous studies suggested that past hybridization had resulted in all polar bears having genes that came from brown bears. But the new study indicates that episodes of gene flow between the two species occurred only in isolated populations and did not affect the larger polar bear population, which remains free of brown bear genes.

At the center of the confusion is a population of brown bears that live on Alaska's Admiralty, Baranof, and Chicagof Islands, known as the ABC Islands. These bears--clearly brown bears in appearance and behavior--have striking genetic similarities to polar bears.

"This population of brown bears stood out as being really weird genetically, and there's been a long controversy about their relationship to polar bears. We can now explain it, and instead of the convoluted history some have proposed, it's a very simple story," said coauthor Beth Shapiro, associate professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at UC Santa Cruz.

Shapiro and her colleagues analyzed genome-wide DNA sequence data from seven polar bears, an ABC Islands brown bear, a mainland Alaskan brown bear, and a black bear. The study also included genetic data from other bears that was recently published by other researchers. Shapiro's team found that polar bears are a remarkably homogeneous species with no evidence of brown bear ancestry, whereas the ABC Islands brown bears show clear evidence of polar bear ancestry.

A key finding is that the polar bear ancestry of ABC Islands brown bears is conspicuously enriched in the maternally inherited X chromosome. About 6.5 percent of the X chromosomes of the ABC Islands bears came recently from polar bears, compared to about 1 percent of the rest of their genome. This means that the ABC Islands brown bears share more DNA with polar bear females than they do with polar bear males, Shapiro said.

To understand how hybridization could lead to this unexpected result, the team ran simulations of various demographic scenarios. "Of all the models we tested, the best supported was the scenario in which male brown bears wandered onto the islands and gradually transformed the population from polar bears into brown bears," said first author James Cahill, a graduate student in ecology and evolutionary biology at UC Santa Cruz.

This scenario is consistent with the known behavior of brown bears and polar bears, according to coauthor Ian Stirling, a biologist at the University of Alberta in Edmonton, Canada. Mixing of polar bears and brown bears is seen today in the Canadian Beaufort Sea, where adult male brown bears wander onto the remaining sea ice in late spring and sometimes mate with female polar bears, he said. In areas such as western Hudson Bay and the Russian coast, polar bears are spending more time on land in response to climate warming and loss of sea ice, a behavior that could have left polar bears stranded on the ABC Islands at the end of the last ice age.

Young male brown bears tend to leave the area where they were born in search of new territory. They may well have dispersed across the water from the Alaskan mainland to the ABC Islands and hybridized with polar bears stranded there when the sea ice disappeared.

"The combination of genetics and the known behavior of brown and polar bears hybridizing in the wild today tells us how the ABC Islands bears came to be: they are the descendants of many male brown bear immigrants and some female polar bears from long ago," Stirling said.

The findings suggest that continued climate warming and loss of arctic sea ice may lead to the same thing happening more broadly, said coauthor Richard E. (Ed) Green, an assistant professor of biomolecular engineering in UCSC's Baskin School of Engineering. "As the ice melts in the Arctic, what is going to happen to the polar bears? In the ABC Islands, the polar bears are gone. They're brown bears now, but with polar bear genes still present in their genomes," he said.

The first genetic studies of ABC Islands brown bears looked at their mitochondrial DNA, which is separate from the chromosomes and is inherited only through the female lineage. The mitochondrial DNA of ABC Islands brown bears matches that of polar bears more closely than that of other brown bears, which led some scientists to think that the ABC Islands brown bears gave rise to modern polar bears.

The new study looks at the "nuclear DNA" carried on the chromosomes in the cell nucleus. It is the latest in a series of genetic studies of polar bears published in recent years, each of which has prompted new ideas about the relationship between polar bears and brown bears. A 2010 study of fossils and mitochondrial DNA supported the idea that polar bears evolved from the ABC Islands brown bears. But a 2011 study of mitochondrial DNA from extinct Irish brown bears showed an even closer match to polar bears and suggested that polar bears got their mitochondrial DNA from hybridization with Irish bears. Shapiro, a coauthor of that study, said she now thinks the Irish brown bears may be another example of what happened in the ABC Islands, but she can't say for sure until she studies their nuclear DNA.

"In retrospect, I think we were wrong about the directionality of the gene flow between polar bears and Irish brown bears," she said.

Two studies published in 2012 sought to determine when the polar bear lineage diverged from the brown bear lineage using nuclear DNA data. The first, published in April in Science, put the split at 600,000 years ago and concluded that polar bears carry brown bear mitochondrial DNA due to past hybridizations. The second, published in July in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences, suggested that brown bears, black bears, and polar bears diverged around 4 to 5 million years ago, followed by repeated episodes of hybridization between polar bears and brown bears.

The new study does not address the question of how long ago polar bears diverged from brown bears, but it may help sort out the conflicting results of recent studies. "It's a good step in the right direction of understanding what really happened," Shapiro said.

The study does indicate that the divergence of polar bears from brown bears was only half as long ago as the split between the brown bear and black bear lineages, said Cahill. "We can tell how long brown bears and polar bears have been separate species as a proportion of how long ago they separated from more distantly related species, but putting a year on it is very difficult," he said.

Green noted that efforts to understand the relationship between polar bears and brown bears has been complicated by the unusual case of the ABC Islands brown bears. "It's as if you were studying the relationship between humans and chimpanzees and your analysis included DNA from some weird population of humans that had hybridized with chimps. You would get very strange results until you figured that out," he said.

In addition to Cahill, Green, Shapiro, and Stirling, the coauthors of the new paper include postdoctoral researchers Tara Fulton and Mathias Stiller, undergraduate Rauf Salamzade, and graduate student John St. John at UC Santa Cruz; Flora Jay and Montgomery Slatkin at UC Berkeley; and Nikita Ovsyanikov at the Wrangel Island State Nature Reserve in Russia. Green and Shapiro direct the UCSC Paleogenomics Lab. This research was funded by the Searle Scholars Program.

Táltos
08-22-2015, 03:54 AM
Saw this today and it gave me a good laugh. http://www.nj.com/morris/index.ssf/2015/08/watch_bear_family_takes_a_dip_in_a_rockaway_family .html

Baltimore1937
08-28-2015, 04:24 AM
All big critters:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/this-is-what-the-world-would-be-like-if-humans-had-never-existed_55ddde64e4b0a40aa3acf428

MikeWhalen
09-06-2015, 06:10 PM
Hey AJL
continuing with something you said, evidently bears in my city are down because our blueberry crop has been very good...in this article, it notes that Sudbury , the closest large city to my Soo (300 km+), is having a terrible year and they have had major problems with bears in the city and being shot...

http://www.saultstar.com/2015/09/05/berries-help-sault-escape-bear-problems

A healthy blueberry crop is helping Sault Ste. Marie escape a rash of bear problems in the Nickel City.

The summer has seen 17 bear-related shootings in Sudbury by farmers, police and residents protecting property. Two of those shootings were done by unknown persons, leading to concerns of residents being injured.

Calls to Ministry of Natural Resources' Bear Wise line soared 50% from 1,253 in 2014 to 1,882 as of Aug. 30.

In the Sault, reports of bear sightings climbed 24% from 441 to 549 during the same time.

“Sault Ste. Marie didn't suffer a natural food failure like areas to the east and northeast did,” said Jolanta Kowalski, senior media relations officer, with MNR in an email. “Sudbury normally has conditions which produce exceptional blueberry crops, better than other areas. So, bears get accustomed to travelling there – probably some from great distances – to take advantage of it. Unfortunately when the berry crop fails, which it has in Sudbury, bears will search out other sources of food including garbage and other attractants. Unsecured garbage and non-natural food sources have been an ongoing issue in Sudbury.”

No bears have been put down in 2014 or this year, said Staff Sgt. Jane Martynuck of Sault Ste. Marie Police Service.

Bear sightings reported to city police dropped from 56 in July and August 2014 to 51 as of Aug. 25.

By mid-August, police in Sudbury took 725 bear calls in five months. Officers were sent to about half of those calls.

How city police respond depends on what bears are doing. A bear that's aggressive and won't leave a residential property is a priority, said Martynuck.

“Any time there's a danger to the public we are certainly going to respond to those,” she said.

When sightings are not emergencies, callers are encouraged by police dispatchers to call the Bear Wise line at 866-514-2327. The line runs April 1 to Nov. 30.

Mike

Cinnamon orange
09-06-2015, 06:17 PM
The place I grew up in is called Bear Creek. You guessed it, we saw bears on a regular basis. It is located on top of a mountain, and the woods were just beyond our backyard. When I was 4 years old before our back porch was closed in, a bear came and was looking in our dining room window. I can remember another time a bear cub went up a tree to escape a forest fire.

I did not know that, I have been there, my step mothers sister lives there.

Táltos
09-07-2015, 02:43 AM
I did not know that, I have been there, my step mothers sister lives there.

Cousin we'll be talking more later. Small world :) I almost want to say we have discussed this before though, hmm...

MikeWhalen
09-23-2015, 08:09 PM
could not resist this one

Mike

Gray Fox
09-24-2015, 04:02 AM
This guy is in the running for this years Darwin award

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLcQesXl7q8

Táltos
09-24-2015, 04:15 AM

Hahaha! I actually jumped a few times, these guys are crazy! And that bear-he was like in your face at the end. GROSS!

Magnetic
09-24-2015, 10:41 AM
What about when they decide to wave back?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI1IWOLl5YU

teddybears

pegasus
09-25-2015, 03:59 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5xKUoIsNiQ

MikeWhalen
10-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Geeezzzz...............................

MikeWhalen
10-05-2015, 09:13 PM
we Canadians have a certain reputation for politeness, I am happy to demonstrate that it applies to our wildlife as well...

M

MikeWhalen
10-09-2015, 04:42 PM
we have had a lot of problems with black bears coming into the center of my city this year. We have enough green-ways scattered throughout the city that between the gullies, ravines, woodlots, conservation area's and parks, its not very difficult for them to get in.

I have a couple of friends that live near the edges of the city and its common for them to have bears there...one has to keep a steady watch when he is jogging in the AM as he has several times surprised a bear as he went around a corner and that is the one thing you don't want to do

I live in the center of the city and usually they do not get all that close to me, so having several spotted on either my street or streets just a few blocks away are unusual.

here are a few pics of a fellow that got scared and went up a tree several blocks from me...then the trick is to get him down, with out anyone getting hurt and transport him far away from here-fortunately, he was not a very big fellow, in fact, 'he' was probably a girl, although still full grown

those are power lines going across in the middle of the pic

you can see how high he climbed, which is a natural reaction for them...he must be 50" high as the peak of that roof is about 30'...you can see the bear is bigger than the man (Natural Resources guy) using a long stick to give him a sleep injection

take a close look at the bears ear on the left...I think that 'spot' at the base is a tag...if it is, it means he was caught and transported out of the city once before...given the rather dopey look on his face, I suspect this pic was taken as the drug started to take effect

Mike

rms2
10-10-2015, 12:39 AM
We get black bears in my neighborhood from time to time, mostly in the spring when they raid bird feeders.

Gray Fox
10-10-2015, 07:50 AM
We get black bears in my neighborhood from time to time, mostly in the spring when they raid bird feeders.

They've been showing up in my neck of the woods as well. Which is pretty damn unusual! Seem's they're migrating northwards from Tennessee. I stayed at a cabin in the smokey mountains a few years ago and that place was littered with them. The cabin next to ours had their trash can attacked by a female and her cubs :lol:

rms2
10-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Some folks here say if you want to see bears, just set out a pile of apples in your yard. I've never tried that. Getting pretty late in the year for bears now, except maybe they'll be trying to put the finishing touches on their layer of fat before going to sleep for the winter.

MikeWhalen
10-10-2015, 06:27 PM
our problem is they cancelled the 'spring bear hunt' several years ago and given they are the apex predator, their population is exploding in the north

its a sensitive political topic, but we in the North are the ones that have to deal with them in our back yards but it was the anti hunting lobby in Toronto and its bedroom communities that forced the vote

It was a well run hunt, with all the appropriate restrictions overseen by our Ministry of Natural Resources...it was certainly no gong show or yeeehaaa 'killin' spree

these black bears are not aggressive or hostile towards humans and the old story that they are more scared of us and will run away is pretty accurate, but as usual, the devil is in the details
...a surprised bear is bad news, a human habituated bear is trending towards bad news and you know how dangerous a mother bear is with her cubs?
...so are human mothers!!! and I have friends who don't let their kids out at certain times /places to play due to the increase in bear population.

Of course, the assholes that pushed to kill the hunt, did not provide the extra funding for the trap/travel/ release program, so half of the 'there is a bear in my backyard' calls literally go unanswered.

It is a disaster waiting to happen...another reason why the North hates the South (meaning smug Torontonians :).)

Mike

rms2
10-10-2015, 11:39 PM
But bears are so cute in Disney movies, Mike! ;)

(And they look so doggoned cute when they're ripping out your throat!)

We still have bear hunting season here in Virginia. I don't hunt bears, and I kind of like them, but I see the need for a well-managed hunting season. We have deer season, too, and we're still overrun with deer around here.

Oh, btw, my stepson is taking up bow hunting. Got himself the bow and the whole nine yards. I'm looking forward to some free venison. Maybe I'll take it up, too, and go with him.

Táltos
10-13-2015, 04:52 PM
The local police in the Facebook group for my town reported there was a bear one street over from my street this morning. I better not leave out the Pic-a-nic Baskets! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJwgNs3BWYY

Baltimore1937
10-27-2015, 09:30 AM
Controversial Florida bear hunt:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/florida/fl-bear-hunt-folo-20151026-story.html

MikeWhalen
10-27-2015, 12:19 PM
Balt
unfortunately, the newspaper web site makes you 'register' to actually read the article
which I shall not do

fyi

Mike

J Man
10-27-2015, 01:30 PM
I am going to start hunting bears next year myself! :D

Baltimore1937
11-02-2015, 07:52 AM
Ghost Bear:

http://www.bearlife.org/kermode-bear.html

MikeWhalen
11-27-2015, 08:57 PM
an interesting clip from this summer in the next largest city closest to mine in Northern Ontario, Sudbury (320 Km away). This sort of thing happens in all the northern cities.
The bears don't look that big to me, and its unusual for 3 to be together like that, so I bet they are yearling or a bit older type cubs

I had to laugh when the fellow said maybe they don't understand English and started yelling at them in French!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N34jSJzkRUE

Mike

rms2
11-28-2015, 04:20 PM
I came across this little educational video from the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries. The bears usually get into yards here in my area in the Spring, mostly going after bird feeders, dog food, and trash cans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LUih6YuBLY

rms2
12-06-2015, 05:45 PM
Here is a photo my dad sent me of a bear warning sign from the Fort Steele campground near Cranbrook, BC.

MikeWhalen
12-06-2015, 07:56 PM
lol rms...they set that joke up well!

M

rms2
12-07-2015, 12:28 PM
lol rms...they set that joke up well!

M

They did for sure. That is one of the funniest things I have ever seen.

MikeWhalen
12-13-2015, 06:23 PM
black bears get no respect!

M
(btw, black bears are the 'littlest' of the bears in my country, brown bears (grizzly, kodiacs ect) are 2nd largest and Polar bears are the monsters of the midway)

Baltimore1937
12-27-2015, 10:40 AM
Brown Bears in Estonia:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p023ssd7

I wouldn't think little Estonia would have Bears.

Táltos
12-28-2015, 05:39 AM
Hahaha, reported in my local police's Facebook group about two weeks ago.

On Wednesday, December 16, 2015 at approximately 18:30 hours, the ***** Police Department was dispatched to a residence on Spruce Street for the report of what sounded like someone running around the upstairs of the residence.
Officer S R responded and met with the homeowner and it was discovered that the noise was coming from a black bear on the roof. The bear eventually walked to the rear of the house which was lower, jumped to the ground and ran into the woods.
Guess he was looking for his picnic basket! wink emoticon
Can you imagine?!

MikeWhalen
01-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Bears in da Hood...forming their own street gang even
seriously, love the fact it is a bear sanctuary in India for abused bruins that were forced to be despicable entertainment... 'dancing bears'

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-buzz/video-captures-excited-and-hungry-bears-chasing-205033561.html?nhp=1

Mike

Baltimore1937
03-12-2016, 05:18 PM
They're back (Louisiana Black Bear):

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/teddy-bear-population-recovers_us_56e342ace4b0860f99d91f49

MikeWhalen
04-21-2016, 08:32 PM
I thought some might like this...

Mike

rms2
04-22-2016, 10:54 PM
I like bears. They remind me of big dogs. Black bears I think are fairly benign, but Grizzlies are another story. I'm glad we don't have Grizzlies here in Virginia. We have plenty of Black Bears though.

On another subject, we have Elk in Virginia as of a few years ago. They used to be all over the place, but they were hunted into extinction. Now the Elk have been reintroduced and are doing well.

Gray Fox
04-23-2016, 09:24 AM
Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.. :biggrin1:

Dubhthach
04-23-2016, 12:35 PM
Bears... Beets... Battlestar Galactica.. :biggrin1:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9w04bORgHc

AJL
04-23-2016, 04:52 PM
I am going to start hunting bears next year myself! :D

From memory they keep taking that on and off the books in Ontario, don't they?

J Man
04-23-2016, 05:11 PM
From memory they keep taking that on and off the books in Ontario, don't they?

Yeah things have changed multiple times over the years when it comes to the bear hunt in Ontario.

Baltimore1937
05-03-2016, 07:22 AM
Poor old Scarface:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/yellowstone-bear-scarface-killed_us_57281522e4b016f378936394

rms2
05-04-2016, 12:57 AM
Glad we just have Black Bears here in Virginia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcsXC2xFis4

MikeWhalen
05-05-2016, 12:05 PM
cute baby bear causing mischief and havoc when looking for a midnight snack in a 2nd floor apt.!

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/canada/firefighters-shoo-away-baby-bear-rummaging-through-mans-refrigerator-inside-second-floor-apartment?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+NP_Top_Stories+%28National+Po st+-+Top+Stories%29&ref=yfp

Mike

Baltimore1937
05-12-2016, 03:59 PM
A local bear in the lowlands:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article77072957.html

rock hunter
05-13-2016, 03:18 AM
LESTERS CHEAPEST AMMUNITION

The National Park Rangers are advising hikers in Glacier National Park and other Rocky Mountain parks to be alert for bears and take extra precautions to avoid an encounter.
They advise park visitors to wear little bells on their clothes so they make noise when hiking. The bell noise allows bears to hear them coming from a distance and not be startled by a hiker accidentally sneaking up on them. This might cause a bear to charge.
Visitors should also carry a pepper spray can just in case a bear is encountered. Spraying the pepper into the air will irritate the bear's sensitive nose and it will run away.
It is also a good idea to keep an eye out for fresh bear scat so you have an idea if bears are in the area. People should be able to recognize the difference between black bear and grizzly bear scat.
Black bear droppings are smaller and often contain berries, leaves, and possibly bits of fur. Grizzly bear droppings tend to contain small bells and smell of pepper.

Baltimore1937
06-07-2016, 06:20 PM
Bringing back the Griz in the north Cascades:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article82131452.html

rms2
06-08-2016, 10:57 PM
Bringing back the Griz in the north Cascades:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article82131452.html

I kept thinking that had to be an article from The Onion, but no, 80% of the people completing that survey in Washington state really want to bring back the Grizzly. Caramba!

Baltimore1937
06-17-2016, 08:10 PM
Local Black Bear encounter:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article84285922.html

Baltimore1937
06-23-2016, 08:26 PM
About mama bear behavior:

http://phys.org/news/2016-06-mama-human-shields-cubs.html

MikeWhalen
06-26-2016, 03:59 PM
this bear is practically in our downtown....about a 2 min drive from both my house and actual downtown!
hope the critter gets out of town ok

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/bear-spotted-heading-towards-simpson-street-4-photos-324992

Mike

MikeWhalen
10-01-2016, 05:31 PM
oh oh...this happened in the north end of my city

Bear strikes woman
http://www.saultstar.com/2016/10/01/bear-strikes-woman

https://www.sootoday.com/city-police-beat/woman-attacked-by-bear-428421

Mike

rms2
10-01-2016, 11:49 PM
Every time my youngest son takes his wife and kids to Skyline Drive from the Front Royal, Virginia, entrance, they see several black bears. He has video of them. I have been there numerous times and have seen deer, rabbits, raccoons, etc., but not a single bear.

AJL
10-03-2016, 01:42 AM
I saw a dead one by the side of the highway today. There are plenty of bearberries in the forest still so my guess is he just had bad luck crossing the road.

JMcB
10-03-2016, 04:14 AM
To this day, I still remember a story an old teacher of mine told me. It was back in the late 60s when I was going to school in Vermont and my teacher was a pretty big fellow who used to be a lineman when he played football in college. At any rate, one day he was cleaning out his garage and in the process of doing so, he filled up one of those old metal garbage cans to the brim. He said it was so heavy that he could just barely drag it out of the garage by himself. That night he heard a ruckus outside his house and when he went to investigate, he looked out the backdoor just in time to see a black bear pick up his garbage can and throw it 15 feet across the lawn.

Needless to say, he shut the door and went back inside.

Baltimore1937
10-16-2016, 04:56 PM
Too bad for this cute bear:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/pedals-the-bear-believed-dead_us_58037fa6e4b0162c043c7b83?section=&

FredBats
10-19-2016, 10:22 AM
Have had some close encounters with bears actually hiking. It was interesting almost coming face to snout with a black bear in a briar patch about three years ago. Had the dog not started barking it might have been a different story but then I grew up in nature, it wasn't uncommon to have cougars, bears or even elk and moose in your own backyard, so "fearful" of nature doesn't really apply. There was also the grizzly in a National Park which is quite "popular" if you would... I believe the photograph of the guy taking the photograph close made it to National Geographic years ago.

MikeWhalen
11-08-2016, 08:55 PM
this is a great pic of a big old grizzly in a 'I ain't messing around mood'

http://yourshotblog.nationalgeographic.com/post/152859704829/top-shot-bear-on-the-run-top-shot-features-the

best comment I saw regarding this pic, and its just made up of course, was....'and this was the last picture recovered from a damaged camera that was lying on the beach"

Mike

MikeWhalen
11-24-2016, 08:47 PM
best dance video I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CnFo7qinng

Mike

rms2
11-25-2016, 10:47 PM
I had the bears discussion with my daughter this afternoon after she said bears are her favorite animals. We have black bears in the woods around here, although probably all of them are currently hibernating. I warned her not to be fooled by how cute they are; they are still dangerous. She is a smart kid but just goofy enough to think she could get away with petting a black bear.

Thatagus
02-14-2017, 05:18 AM
Man eating Japanese bear:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sankebetsu_brown_bear_incident

MikeWhalen
02-14-2017, 12:41 PM
interesting story, thanks

Mike

rms2
02-14-2017, 03:24 PM

Whoa! Awesome story! I see the Japanese have made it into a movie; too bad we haven't. It would make a great one, but if they do they should try to stick to the true events and not embellish them the way Hollywood usually does. What a tale! Wow!

MikeWhalen
02-25-2017, 06:17 PM
gotta love cute little bears, or at least, I am a sucker for them

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39081700

Mike

Baltimore1937
06-20-2017, 07:17 AM
Bellingham paper reports local Black Bear news:

http://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/local/article156984604.html

MikeWhalen
06-22-2017, 12:10 PM
dont forget about the black bears...the 'little' ones that could...

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/back-back-alaska-fatal-black-225533909.html

Mike

MikeWhalen
06-25-2017, 01:11 PM
your sunday smile...

Mike

rms2
06-25-2017, 08:38 PM
dont forget about the black bears...the 'little' ones that could...

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/back-back-alaska-fatal-black-225533909.html

Mike

You know, wrestling and killing a black bear in one-on-one, hand-to-hand combat used to be kind of a big thing on the North American frontier. Davy Crockett and others were known to have done it.

I never heard of any of them stepping up to the next level and taking on a grizzly, however.

J Man
06-25-2017, 11:45 PM
You know, wrestling and killing a black bear in one-on-one, hand-to-hand combat used to be kind of a big thing on the North American frontier. Davy Crockett and others were known to have done it.

I never heard of any of them stepping up to the next level and taking on a grizzly, however.

Those old fellas must have been using knives or axes to kill those black bears eh?

MikeWhalen
06-26-2017, 02:12 AM
Its noted in a county history book that in the 1850's, my GGGrandfather, Patrick Whealen (the Irish emigrant), killed a black bear that was sneaking up on him while he was tending his potatoes on his 100 acre bush farm in the newly opened Bruce County (western Ont.), Kincardine twp.
He apparently killed it with one overhand blow from his hoe to the bears head.
Of course, the hoe was 8 inches wide of thick iron on a heavy hickory handle...sounded more like a medieval pole axe than anything else

silly bear...fucking with an Irishman and his taters

Mike
a contemporary's letter, mentions that my whalens and Collens were all 'big' people, all the men were at least 6 feet high and over 200lbs....I think thats pretty big for those days....certainly 5 generations later, you can still see that in almost all the men in the whalens, in my neck of the woods at least

rms2
06-26-2017, 01:05 PM
Those old fellas must have been using knives or axes to kill those black bears eh?

Bowie knives, I think, but maybe tomahawks, as well.

Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier!

Born on a mountaintop in Tennessee,

Greenest state in the Land of the Free.

Killed himself a bear when he was only three,

Then he stopped to take a pee-pee!

Davy, Davy Crockett, King of the Wild Frontier! :biggrin1:

That's not really how the song went, but that's how we used to sing it.

Baltimore1937
06-27-2017, 11:05 PM
My cousin Daniel Boone probably had some bear tales too. First cousin six times removed.

rms2
06-28-2017, 12:32 PM
My cousin Daniel Boone probably had some bear tales too. First cousin six times removed.

The same actor, Fess Parker, played both Daniel Boone and Davy Crockett on tv when I was a little boy. For that reason, I still sometimes confuse the two of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePlQScWVEso

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83qUtyeyVt0

MikeWhalen
07-08-2017, 09:31 PM
never underestimate the cleverness of a bear...I bet that was a nice refreshing beverage for him

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt6Z4qvDAgU

MIke

rms2
07-09-2017, 05:58 PM
I have a hummingbird feeder on the deck in my backyard. No raids by bears yet. I must admit, I'd like to see one, though. Bears have raided bird feeders in my neighborhood, which is semi-rural and very close to farm country and honest-to-goodness backwoods. Could happen. Hope my dogs are smart enough to leave well enough alone.

MikeWhalen
08-21-2017, 07:59 PM
I got a kick out of this pic that was posted on my FB...turns out someone sold their home to a friend and moved away a while ago , then today, they got sent a pic of their old back yard and the stone fence they built and often talked about
this home is in the north end of my city, not too far from the forest, but in a well developed and growing quickly section of town

cute little guys, but I would not like to wake up with that in my yard

Mike

rms2
08-21-2017, 11:07 PM
I got a kick out of this pic that was posted on my FB...turns out someone sold their home to a friend and moved away a while ago , then today, they got sent a pic of their old back yard and the stone fence they built and often talked about
this home is in the north end of my city, not too far from the forest, but in a well developed and growing quickly section of town

cute little guys, but I would not like to wake up with that in my yard

Mike

Awesome! The cubs are cool. Mom could be a problem.

rms2
08-21-2017, 11:26 PM
Here is a photo taken in July of a bear just down the road from where I live.

Bear sightings reported in Spotsylvania (http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/bear-sightings-reported-in-spotsylvania/article_322d8187-1476-5661-aaeb-4889c9923c2b.html)

kostoffj
08-22-2017, 01:26 PM
Here is a photo taken in July of a bear just down the road from where I live.

Bear sightings reported in Spotsylvania (http://www.richmond.com/news/virginia/bear-sightings-reported-in-spotsylvania/article_322d8187-1476-5661-aaeb-4889c9923c2b.html)

I just joined a new hunting club this year with properties not too far from you (a lot around Culpeper). First year I've bought a bear tag, there are bears on several of our leases, pretty excited. Down here the only bear hunting is a lottery in the Great Dismal Swamp but I have no desire to hunt in that place.

rms2
08-22-2017, 09:31 PM
I just joined a new hunting club this year with properties not too far from you (a lot around Culpeper). First year I've bought a bear tag, there are bears on several of our leases, pretty excited. Down here the only bear hunting is a lottery in the Great Dismal Swamp but I have no desire to hunt in that place.

Don't blame you. I remember seeing the Great Dismal Swamp from the road. No desire to go in there. It was aptly named. I think that is the one place in Virginia in which they say there are cottonmouth water moccasins.

MikeWhalen
11-26-2017, 07:19 PM
here is a pretty effective way to stick to you diet, at least if you lived where this girl did....she has good nerves under pressure!

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/apos-apos-m-happy-alive-120000239.html

Mike

rms2
11-26-2017, 10:06 PM
If I lived up in the far north, I would not go anywhere without a high powered rifle.

rms2
04-15-2018, 10:05 PM
Here's a sad but cool story about a decent Virginia state trooper and a couple of orphaned black bear cubs.

Black bear cubs rescued by Virginia trooper after mother killed in crash (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/04/15/black-bear-cubs-rescued-by-virginia-trooper-after-mother-killed-in-crash.html)

Sebbo
04-23-2018, 01:26 PM
I have heard that Polar Bears are the only living mammal that consider humans prey in all situations, in contrast to Tigers for example who generally only hunt humans in certain situations.

MikeWhalen
04-30-2018, 03:02 PM
So this attack happened this weekend, in town, on the outskirts of town...thankfully the lady was not hurt badly, but this could have gone real bad real fast

The bears are just awoken from winter hibernation and might be struggling due to the weird bad weather near the end of winter (false spring, nasty heavy storm)...even if its just normal for them, they are known to be bad tempered due to extreme hunger now....and with cubs, very dang bad!

https://www.sootoday.com/local-news/bear-attacks-woman-on-old-goulais-bay-road-908350

"Bear attacks woman on Old Goulais Bay Road (Updated)

The bear is not afraid, says victim, she was even here when all the cops and ambulance were here 0
about 20 hours ago by: SooToday Staff

Chantel Lafleur is still trying to figure out what happened after she was attacked by a bear outside her home on the 600 block of Old Goulais Bay Road Friday night.

“I don’t even think I remember her raising her paw to hit me,” said Lafleur.

She remembers taking her dog - a husky named Jax - out the back door of her house in order to relieve itself sometime after 10 p.m. Lafleur figures she was about 20 feet from the back entrance to her house when she first encountered the bear.

“She gave me a good swat and sent me flying, and I don’t remember nothing,” said Lafleur. “I got cuts on my head, she scratched my back.”

“I can’t even move, my left side is killing me.”

Lafleur says that her 16 year-old daughter called 911 while the bear was on top of her.

“She was on the phone with 911, and they were saying ‘calm down,’” said Lafleur. “She goes, ‘I can’t, the bear is on top of my mother, she’s laying on the ground.’”

Lafleur’s daughter figures that she was knocked out for at least three or four minutes.

Jax was barking and howling at this point, nipping at the bear while it was on top of Lafleur. The bear then walked away from its victim.

“That’s when I came to, and he was close enough with the leash that I could grab his leash off the ground,” Lafleur said. “I just grabbed him and we ran into the house.”

Lafleur says that the appearance of police and paramedics at her house wasn’t enough to make the bear leave the area entirely.

“She’s not afraid, she was even here when all the cops and ambulance were here,” said Lafleur. “She scared the ambulance attendant when he walked out of my house.”

“She’s a scary bear.”

Lafleur left the hospital after being treated for cuts and scratches to her head and back, concerned for the well being of her dog, who had emergency surgery Friday morning.

She’s been trying to put all the pieces of that night together ever since, relying on her daughter’s account of what happened to her.

“I think I was in shock right until yesterday afternoon, then it all started setting in,” she said.

Lafleur now wants residents to know there’s a huge, ‘nasty’ bear lurking around the neighbourhood.

“I’m scared because there’s a lot of kids around here,” Lafleur said.

The full text of a release from Sault Ste. Marie Police Service follows.

On April 27, 2018 around 11 p.m., a female had taken her dog out in the 600 block of Old Goulais Bay Road while out the mother bear and cubs were in the area.

At some point the female was attacked by the mother bear which caused several puncture wounds to the victim's back as well as cuts to her head.

Family members responded to calls for assistance and the bears ran off.

The victim was transported to Sault Area Hospital by EMS where she was treated for non-life-threatening injuries. "

Mike

MikeWhalen
04-30-2018, 03:33 PM
I ran across an interesting bear story from a co worker when we were discussing the above news article

He has a cottage on Lake Superior, around 1/2 hour outside my city, its surrounded by forest and is of course, in the 'wilderness'-ish

anyway, he said last fall, he was out at his cottage and they had a major problem with a different mother bear and 3 cubs...apparently, they have several apple tree's on their property and the bears methodically wacked the tree's hard enough so every apple on it dropped and they ate it...my buddy said they even raided the crab apple tree's.

He said the mother bear was very aggressive and if they made a noise while watching the bears, mom would stop, growl hard and make some attack displays, even if they were in the cottage
...the bears camped out there for several days till every bit of fruit was done, and my pal said it was so dangerous, they had to keep their 2 big dogs inside
...when they let the dogs out on a leash to pee/ect., he had to fire a shot from his shotgun into the air, just to briefly drive the bears away
...he said they got so predictable that the mother bear would give him/them around 20 minutes after he fired, and then would move back into the yard and tree's...this went on for several days

Mike

MikeWhalen
05-20-2018, 06:57 PM
Here are some amazing pics of just how clever, strong and able bears are

apparently, when posted on FB there were some that called 'fake' and talked about some aspects of the photo's, especially the bird...well, then a dozen other folks posted similar pics taken in their area and the original OP posted a vid clip of this exact scene, so all doubt was put to bed..these are real and many have apparently seen this or something similar

Mike

rms2
05-21-2018, 10:11 PM
This is a cool video. Lucky for that hunter this bear was apparently a juvenile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRp2GnsbShY&feature=youtu.be

MikeWhalen
05-21-2018, 11:38 PM
^
yes, that bear looks like a yearling or such
but imagine the big brass pair on that kid in the 'bears' tree...did not move a muscle even when the bear was leaning over him!

M

rms2
05-22-2018, 11:12 PM
^
yes, that bear looks like a yearling or such
but imagine the big brass pair on that kid in the 'bears' tree...did not move a muscle even when the bear was leaning over him!

M

Yeah, I would have been headed down that ladder as soon as the bear started up the tree!

Baltimore1937
06-20-2018, 01:14 AM
Pandas are bears too (fossil of giant panda in China):

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/06/180618163856.htm

lukaszM
06-21-2018, 10:19 PM
Bears per country in Europe

https://screenshotscdn.firefoxusercontent.com/images/187b7494-9674-46fb-be14-2525e09b18b3.png

coolguy
06-22-2018, 04:13 PM
What about other countries (in Europe and rest of the world?)

MikeWhalen
08-29-2018, 02:51 PM
not the cuddly cute guys some think

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/one-hunter-dead-two-injured-after-nunavut-polar-bear-attack

Mike

razyn
08-29-2018, 05:52 PM
This is relevant to the thread, but sorry that it's preceded by an ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFIGWm9M6w

rms2
08-30-2018, 12:00 AM
This is relevant to the thread, but sorry that it's preceded by an ad. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxFIGWm9M6w

Ha! Yet another Canadian contribution to the thread (from Anne Murray). It was nice to hear her sweet voice again.

lukaszM
09-03-2018, 08:15 PM
What about other countries (in Europe and rest of the world?)

Certainly in Eastern Europe is their stronghold.

Tomenable
09-04-2018, 10:47 AM
http://www.mop.gov.si/fileadmin/mop.gov.si/pageuploads/podrocja/velike_zveri/large_carnivores_population_maps.jpg

Tomenable
09-04-2018, 10:53 AM
Bears in the USA: https://www.counterpunch.org/2018/08/06/collective-narcissism-and-the-plight-of-brown-bears-in-europe-and-america/

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d2beb3_60d19710df2a4f5cb381194712b6ebbe~mv2_d_2250 _1674_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1134,h_844,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/d2beb3_60d19710df2a4f5cb381194712b6ebbe~mv2_d_2250 _1674_s_2.jpg

https://static.wixstatic.com/media/d2beb3_d776f41f4ec24d91a0c4348c2d5387a0~mv2_d_2700 _1244_s_2.jpg/v1/fill/w_1260,h_581,al_c,q_85,usm_0.66_1.00_0.01/d2beb3_d776f41f4ec24d91a0c4348c2d5387a0~mv2_d_2700 _1244_s_2.jpg

Finn
09-04-2018, 11:06 AM
http://www.mop.gov.si/fileadmin/mop.gov.si/pageuploads/podrocja/velike_zveri/large_carnivores_population_maps.jpg

The spread of the wolves is broader Germany and already spotted in Northeastern Netherlands.......and lynxes are spotted in Limburg most southern province of the Netherlands.

https://www.rtvdrenthe.nl/nieuws/138084/Drentse-wolf-wandelt-verder-naar-de-Veluwe

https://www.ad.nl/nieuws/lynx-gefotografeerd-in-zuid-limburg~a6815f87/

msmarjoribanks
09-04-2018, 01:26 PM
Can't talk about number of bears in the US and ignore Alaska: https://blog.nationalgeographic.org/2012/04/30/the-biggest-of-the-big-the-brown-bears-of-alaska-and-russias-far-east/

lukaszM
09-04-2018, 06:56 PM
Interesting fact. After Chernobyl catastrophe this region of course abandened by humans was very fastly inhabited by bears. Before they were all killed one hundred years ago on this area.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-30197341

msmarjoribanks
10-09-2018, 05:08 PM
https://www.washingtonpost.com/science/2018/10/09/americas-fattest-bear-is-about-be-crowned/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.ab58dc95c737

Fat Bear Week

MikeWhalen
12-28-2018, 04:58 PM
found this very cool pic of a frosty bruin...

M

MikeWhalen
03-21-2019, 09:07 PM
This pic was taken yesterday in a part of town about a mile from my house...the title on the local FB page was.....
"They r out be careful"

Mike

Baltimore1937
03-22-2019, 05:57 AM
Sun Bears, smallest of the bears. One was in a cage in Pleiku when I was in 'Nam, over in the infantry/helicopter compound.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/03/sun-bears-play-mimic-faces/

Baltimore1937
06-29-2019, 04:28 AM
Horror story for a man crippled by a bear and stored for future bear food (Tuva territory):

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/9375816/man-bear-attack-found-alive-month-den/

MikeWhalen
07-14-2019, 04:32 AM
a co worker just posted this, taken just a bit ago, outside her house
she lives in the middle-ish of the city

kids aint playing outside tonight!

Mike

Elizabeth
07-17-2019, 01:02 AM
Here is my favorite bear video. It's a tv commercial.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIWmmbbALok

Baltimore1937
08-15-2019, 11:43 PM
Remember the Cave Bear:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49345392

rms2
08-17-2019, 02:32 PM
Remember the Cave Bear:

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-49345392

I'm kind of glad Cave Bears aren't still around, but I do wish the Woolly Mammoth had been spared. It would be nice to have our own cold-climate elephants around.

I got to ride an elephant at a circus once, years ago. That was so much fun. (I also got to ride a camel at the Memphis Zoo once.)

Baltimore1937
08-21-2019, 12:30 AM
I was digging in a box of books I hadn't looked at in years today, and found a large size paperback "Ice Age Mammals of North America; A Guide to the Big, the Hairy, and the Bizarre", 2002. It might be worth checking out if you are interested in such prehistoric beasts of old.

Baltimore1937
09-22-2019, 07:12 AM
Something in the Vancouver, B.C. Newspaper (fighting bears on the highway):

https://vancouversun.com/news/local-news/rare-footage-of-grizzly-bears-fighting-on-b-c-highway-posted-on-social-media

rms2
09-29-2019, 03:19 PM
This is from a little over three months ago (but I didn't notice it back then). It's a notification from the county about bear sightings.

Bears sighted in Spotsy (https://fredericksburg.today/2019/06/17/bears-sighted-in-spotsy/)

No photos, unfortunately.

Here's an article from back on June 26th that includes a couple of nice photos. It's from Stafford County, just to our north.

Bear Invades Barn In Stafford (https://patch.com/virginia/fredericksburg/bear-invades-barn-stafford-police)

Elizabeth
10-06-2019, 05:35 AM
Bear cubs lock themselves in a Tennessee van, then honk until a human let them out

The van's driver says he heard honking for 20 minutes before he finally went to investigate

https://www.12newsnow.com/article/life/animals/bearslockedinvanhonkhorn/51-0e015e73-b078-4076-b17d-bf5eafadb9f9

MonkeyDLuffy
10-24-2019, 05:37 AM
a co worker just posted this, taken just a bit ago, outside her house
she lives in the middle-ish of the city

kids aint playing outside tonight!

Mike

We had encounter with Black bear in Killarney this summer during hike, pretty chill lads, he saw us and walked away. If there were cubs nearby, would have been a different case. I was surprised to know folks in Northern Ontario hunt and eat them. Very fatty meat.

MikeWhalen
10-24-2019, 10:15 PM
Monkey..
Well, we have alot of problems with black bears coming into our town

there used to be a spring bear hunt up here for decades to try to cull the numbers and prevent daily human/bear confrontaions in town but toronto types thought that was wicked and evil and cried so we dont do it anymore
...there is a black bear hunting season you need tags for, but while I have many pals that are quite dedicated hunters, I've never heard of one going after bear, and quite frankly, I think it is frowned upon now-not many trophy hunters up here, we are taught to use what you kill
...big lineups to get moose tags via lottery though, and deer are of course super popular and in large numbers

I've never had bear meat myself, I dislike even a hint of 'wild' taste but again, I might have heard of a native pal maybe making some jerky out of bear meat, but honestly, thats more for the subsistence hunters...which we have no quarrel with them hunting them as all parts are used
...anyway, Ive never heard of a buddy cooking or eating bear so I doubt its well liked

Mike

oz
10-30-2019, 03:41 PM
What bear makes the most evil sounds?
Koala bear!

https://youtu.be/ua9XICf9ylU

I didn't know koalas can make guttural growling noises like a big cat, how trippy.

MikeWhalen
10-31-2019, 08:25 PM
one of the best things about the big predators, is that they can fight back...

Mike

Baltimore1937
04-02-2020, 08:51 AM
Theory why Cave Bears went extinct:

https://www.newscientist.com/article/2239316-europes-cave-bears-may-have-died-out-because-of-their-large-sinuses/

C J Wyatt III
04-19-2020, 04:38 PM
Nothing unusual here, but an interesting video of a mama bear trying to get its three young cubs across the road:

https://wset.com/news/local/video-captures-mama-bear-with-three-cubs-in-roanoke?fbclid=IwAR24INl4fXPRxi_ah3AZdSdDDGZTZMAmY PtI3n8SVsLw82ca5NgJ22Hqs8Y

Elizabeth
04-20-2020, 02:42 AM
http://www.tundracomics.com/AdvHTML_Upload/FOOD%20square.jpg

Souriquois
04-21-2020, 12:05 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARuc9rDEMIU