PDA

View Full Version : Figuring Out A Chromosome Segment

J Man
10-29-2012, 12:34 AM
I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me with this? On chromosome 22 I have a segment that looks like it could be a true ancient Siberian/North Eurasian segment. Dr. McDonald's test picked it up and I can see that on GEDmatch using the ADMIXTURE proportions by chromosome tool I score pretty high in most analysis in Siberian/North Eurasian on chromosome 22. I know that I inherited this segment from my father as he also has this segment in his McDonald analysis and his chromosome 22 results form GEDmatch also show high Siberian/North Eurasian scores. It seems also that ultimately I inherited this segment from my paternal grandmother who was of Finnish descent as my paternal grandfather who has tested with 23andme does not have this segment in his own DNA at all. Here is the segment I am examining below on my Dr. McDonald results and also a few of my chromosome 22 scores from GEDmatch.

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/1696/jacksondevonifull201208.png

GEDmatch Eurogenes K9 Chromosome 22: Siberian=14.3%

GEDmatch Eurogenes K13 Chromosome 22: North Eurasian=15.9%

GEDmatch Dodecad K12b Chromosome 22: Siberian=15.5%

So I am wondering then is there any way that I can confirm if these results are real? I mean do they actually represent true Siberian/North Eurasian ancestry in my genome even if it is ancient?

Spark
10-30-2012, 02:02 AM
If you have Finnish ancestry or ancestry from a similar area, it wouldn't be out of the question for those segments to be real since many people from that region of Europe have low levels of Siberian and North Asian ancestry dating back to much older migrations from areas further east.

J Man
10-30-2012, 09:42 PM
^Yes I think you are right. It could be from very old admixture events maybe even dating back to the Mesolithic or Neolithic periods.