PDA

View Full Version : North African and Middle Eastern ancestry, real or not

Pfeifer
04-02-2015, 10:32 PM
Hi, I score 1% North African and Middle Eastern ancestry at 23andme and 0% at FTDNA...how can I know if its just noise or real? What are the best tools at gedmatch?

Stephen1986
04-02-2015, 11:34 PM
My brother has similar percentages - he has 0.1% MENA and 0.1% East Asian at 23andMe and 2% Eastern Middle East at FTDNA, whilst on 23andMe and other sites/tests he shows a bigger pull towards the Continent than I do (including some Southern European ancestry in his AC). I'm not sure if it's just from ancient migrations or not.

Anabasis
04-02-2015, 11:52 PM
Hi, I score 1% North African and Middle Eastern ancestry at 23andme and 0% at FTDNA...how can I know if its just noise or real? What are the best tools at gedmatch?

May i see MDLP K23b results if you installed your raw data on Gedmatch?

Although FTDNA says i am %100 minor Asian, MDLP says i am %3,61 North african. That means MDLP k23 may be sensetive on detecting North African origins.

tamilgangster
04-21-2015, 11:01 AM
Its probably just noise, its very unlikely that it reflects direct MENA ancestry cause 23 and me only goes back 500 years. It is possible that it can be from a southern european ancestor who is MENA shifted.

BalkanKiwi
06-07-2015, 09:26 AM
I thought I might add to this thread, I score 2.15% North African on the K23b. The MDLP calculators are the only ones I pick up African on. I assume of its real its linked to my Croatian or Jewish ancestry, the Jewish seems more likely. I don't score any on 23andMe which makes sense because I'm quite certain I don't have an African/Middle Eastern ancestor from within the last 500 or so years.

anglesqueville
06-07-2015, 10:40 AM
Its probably just noise, its very unlikely that it reflects direct MENA ancestry cause 23 and me only goes back 500 years. It is possible that it can be from a southern european ancestor who is MENA shifted.

I've allways been very skeptical about the "500 years"-story of 23andMe. The presence of established cold spots on chromosomes and, furthermore the fact that the recombination rate is not homogeneously distributed on the chromosomes, make such a statement very doubtable. Just one example: I have with 23andMe segments that are identified as finnish by 23andMe's "ancestral composition"-calculator. I am tempted to think that they are real, for at least two reasons: first, they are confirmed by chromosome painting with several gedmatch calculators; second, I share at least one of these segments with two dozens of people (with 23andMe, ftdna and gedmatch), all finnish or estonian.. But it is very unlikely I have finnish (or finnish-like, estonian, karelian, etc) in the 5 preceding centuries

BalkanKiwi
06-07-2015, 11:38 AM
I've allways been very skeptical about the "500 years"-story of 23andMe. The presence of established cold spots on chromosomes and, furthermore the fact that the recombination rate is not homogeneously distributed on the chromosomes, make such a statement very doubtable. Just one example: I have with 23andMe segments that are identified as finnish by 23andMe's "ancestral composition"-calculator. I am tempted to think that they are real, for at least two reasons: first, they are confirmed by chromosome painting with several gedmatch calculators; second, I share at least one of these segments with two dozens of people (with 23andMe, ftdna and gedmatch), all finnish or estonian.. But it is very unlikely I have finnish (or finnish-like, estonian, karelian, etc) in the 5 preceding centuries

Sounds like something real but ancient and I agree, I don't know how they can specifically isolate everything at 500 years.