PDA

View Full Version : Can I transfer my first generation Nat Genographic test results to something useful?

Hando
04-10-2015, 04:02 PM
Hi, I took the first generation Nat Genographic test when it came out in 2005/2006. I find it totally useless the way it is. So is there a way I can upgrade it to Geno 2.0 or something else that will be much more informative?
Thanks.

lgmayka
04-10-2015, 07:40 PM
So you have yDNA 12-marker (or perhaps mtDNA HVR1) results. I presume that up until now, you have never transferred those results into a Family Tree DNA account. Well, now is the time to do so, if this page (https://www.familytreedna.com/landing/nat-geo-transfer.aspx#/verify) still accepts the old (1.0) Genographic results.

Once you have an FTDNA account, you can upgrade in various ways. If your original Genographic test was 12-marker yDNA, I suggest going straight for the Big Y ($475 if you apply a $100-off coupon).

VinceT
04-11-2015, 05:36 AM
^ I'll second that. There is a chance that a Big Y upgrade may require a fresh DNA sample, so make sure your contact information and mailing address is current.

FTDNA's lab in Houston Texas performed all of the Genographic tests, so the transfer is essentially an inside job, i.e. assigning a new FTDNA kit number (prefixed with "N") to the anonymous GPID specified, and then copying your data from one computer system to another. The physical DNA samples collected for Genographic are kept in FTDNA's cold-storage facility in Houston on behalf of the National Geographic Society.

https://genographic.nationalgeographic.com/faq/participation-testing-results/#where-dna-processed

Also, it would be to your advantage to join the applicable haplogroup project(s) after transferring to FTDNA. If you can post your current Geno1 results here (and / or upload them to ysearch.org or mitosearch.org as the case may be after transferring (which can be done from your FTDNA profile page with a single button press), and advise what your Ysearch or Mitosearch ID is, I'm sure someone here would be able to take a look and direct you to the most relevant project(s).

Hando
04-12-2015, 01:11 AM
Thank you gentlemen.
Is it possible to upgrade my first geno to Geno 2.0?

PS.I will post my results here shorty.

VinceT
04-12-2015, 06:30 AM
There isn't a direct upgrade path from Geno1 to Geno2, as Geno2 requires a fresh DNA sample anyway. But you can order Geno2, and then link your Geno1 GPID and your Geno2 GPID together in a single account once you return the new sample for processing.

Personally, I think Geno2 ($189.95 US with the current $10 discount applied), is a poor investment, but I guess it depends on what you hope to get out of it.

Hando
04-12-2015, 08:58 AM
There isn't a direct upgrade path from Geno1 to Geno2, as Geno2 requires a fresh DNA sample anyway. But you can order Geno2, and then link your Geno1 GPID and your Geno2 GPID together in a single account once you return the new sample for processing.

Personally, I think Geno2 ($189.95 US with the current $10 discount applied), is a poor investment, but I guess it depends on what you hope to get out of it.

Hi it seems that I have transferred my Geno 1 test results to FTDNA. But I do not know how to post the results here.
The reason why I am doing this is because I took the YDNA 67 marker test, but I am being told that in order to find out my exact subclade I need to take the Geno 2.0.
I am O2b-M176
but we are not sure if I am O2b1b-K4 or O2b1b1-L682 or O2b1b2-K3
Apparently my Y STR is very rare. And apparently I can also test using FTDNA's single SNP test, but it is not fully guaranteed. I am not exactly sure what this all means, but I want to find out my subclade and as much as possible.
Thanks

paulgill
04-12-2015, 09:57 AM
Hi it seems that I have transferred my Geno 1 test results to FTDNA. But I do not know how to post the results here.
The reason why I am doing this is because I took the YDNA 67 marker test, but I am being told that in order to find out my exact subclade I need to take the Geno 2.0.
I am O2b-M176
Apparently my Y STR is very rare. And apparently I can also test using FTDNA's single SNP test, but it is not fully guaranteed. I am not exactly sure what this all means, but I want to find out my subclade and as much as possible.
Thanks Geno 2.0 is a useless test, on your My Account page you may have an option to buy something like this
Get all SNPs downstream of M267 for only $99!

Remove the guess work. Save money!
Test all SNPs downstream of M267.
107 total SNPs including M267.

$99

Which possibly will get you closer to your Terminal SNP than Geno 2.0 can, check if they have such a SNPs Penal for haplogroup O.

Hando
04-13-2015, 01:12 AM
Geno 2.0 is a useless test, on your My Account page you may have an option to buy something like this
Get all SNPs downstream of M267 for only $99!

Remove the guess work. Save money!
Test all SNPs downstream of M267.
107 total SNPs including M267.

$99

Which possibly will get you closer to your Terminal SNP than Geno 2.0 can, check if they have such a SNPs Penal for haplogroup O.
Hi I could not find the "Get all SNPs downstream of M267 for only $99!"
Nor could I find My account page.
Thanks

paulgill
04-13-2015, 01:31 AM
Hi I could not find the "Get all SNPs downstream of M267 for only $99!"
Nor could I find My account page.
ThanksYou don't need J1 M267, as J1 is not your haplogroup, whatever haplogroup you belong to, send an enquiry to FTDNA and ask them if they have a SNPs Panel for your haplogroup and that is what you need to test for, better yet that you get advice from your project administrator.

Táltos
04-13-2015, 04:11 AM
I am O2b-M176
Thanks

Did you join O...O3 Y-DNA Haplogroup Project? https://www.familytreedna.com/public/o3/default.aspx?section=yresults

VinceT
04-13-2015, 05:17 AM
The haplogroup O tree is pretty scant per ISOGG (http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpO.html), so figuring out what your haplogroup, and which SNPs to test, shouldn't be too hard to predict based on 67 markers, I hope.

Mind you, haplogroup O could stand a few Big Y tests to flesh it out a bit better.
http://yfull.com/tree/O2b/

Hando
04-13-2015, 09:10 AM
Did you join O...O3 Y-DNA Haplogroup Project? https://www.familytreedna.com/public/o3/default.aspx?section=yresults

I just joined and sent the admins an email inquiry. Hopefully they will tell me what SNP test I need to take. I am a total beginner.

rock
04-13-2015, 11:32 AM
Hello, your 67 YSTR closest match is 210076 Ahn at 16 steps and 258012 Hong at 19 steps. your all have DYS487=10, DYS640=13. Hong is L682+, you can try L682 or it's downstream CTS723 :) but 67STR data of L682 is too little, and these available SNP marker is very old, big Y is better.

Hando
04-13-2015, 03:11 PM
Hello, your 67 YSTR closest match is 210076 Ahn at 16 steps and 258012 Hong at 19 steps. your all have DYS487=10, DYS640=13. Hong is L682+, you can try L682 or it's downstream CTS723 :) but 67STR data of L682 is too little, and these available SNP marker is very old, big Y is better.

Hello Rock, thanks. But I am a beginner so I don't understand what you mean by 16 steps, 19 steps. But that's ok. Are you saying I should take the SNP test for L682 and CTS723? Or I should forget it and just take the Big Y test?
Thanks

rock
04-13-2015, 03:38 PM
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/y-str/one-step-mutation-two-step-mutation-etc/
If you want find out deep ancestry, discard single SNP test, Big Y is preferred.

Hando
04-13-2015, 04:09 PM
https://www.familytreedna.com/learn/y-dna-testing/y-str/one-step-mutation-two-step-mutation-etc/
If you want find out deep ancestry, discard single SNP test, Big Y is preferred.
The Big Y is very expensive at $575. I wonder if there is an alternative?

Salkin
04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
The Big Y is very expensive at $575. I wonder if there is an alternative?

So far as I'm aware, the only alternative in the same league is Full Genomes, which is currently $750. Perhaps competition will continue to drive prices down, though.

paulgill
04-13-2015, 08:11 PM
So far as I'm aware, the only alternative in the same league is Full Genomes, which is currently $750. Perhaps competition will continue to drive prices down, though. But at Full Genomes there is Y Prime for $650 which is much better than Big Y. Also at Full Genomes there is WGS each 2x for $130 and it can be upgraded later at the price of 1x=$65 or 10x for $650, it gives you everything, your whole genome results. https://www.fullgenomes.com/news/

Hando
04-14-2015, 12:46 AM
But at Full Genomes there is Y Prime for $650 which is much better than Big Y. Also at Full Genomes there is WGS each 2x for $130 and it can be upgraded later at the price of 1x=$65 or 10x for $650, it gives you everything, your whole genome results. https://www.fullgenomes.com/news/

Could you please tell me why Y Prime (Full Genomes) is better than Big Y for my case? Or is Big Y enough for what I need?

VinceT
04-14-2015, 06:23 AM
Could you please tell me why Y Prime (Full Genomes) is better than Big Y for my case? Or is Big Y enough for what I need?

Using conservative reporting methodology, Y-Prime sequences at least 25% more of the Y-chromosome than Big Y, so you should expect to discover find at least 25% more novel and report 25% more previously discovered SNPs than are reported than Big Y.

Essentially, Y Prime reported 92% coverage of Y Elite, while Y Elite reported about 40% more coverage than Big Y.

In terms of ...
Big Y: approximately 8 mega-bases to 10 mega-bases
Y Elite: over 14 mega-bases
Y Prime: approximately 12.8 mega-bases to 13 mega-bases

This is based on a claim that only 14.1 mega-bases of the Y-chromosome can be reliably sequenced, using 100 base reads.

Also, future Y tests from Full Genomes Corp. (FGC) will use 250 base-long read lengths, versus 100 base-long read lengths used by FGC previously and Big Y currently. This will significantly increase SNP calling reliability and quality, and will greatly enhance reliability for reporting STRs from the raw data as well.

250 base reads should improve the above coverage of both Y Elite and Y Prime somewhat, I would expect.

I haven't yet heard from anyone who has been dissatisfied with FGC's product.

Essentially, Big Y is good, Y Prime is much better, and Y Elite is the cat's meow.

*Disclaimer: I was one of FGC's phase 2 pilot participants ( = customer) for Y Elite, and I give them my full endorsement.

Also, discuss with the FGC Team member who occasionally posts on this forum. It seams that a discount can sometimes be negotiated.

paulgill
04-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Could you please tell me why Y Prime (Full Genomes) is better than Big Y for my case? Or is Big Y enough for what I need? http://cruwys.blogspot.ca/2014/07/full-genomes-launches-y-prime-new-y.html

Hando
04-14-2015, 09:35 AM
Using conservative reporting methodology, Y-Prime sequences at least 25% more of the Y-chromosome than Big Y, so you should expect to discover find at least 25% more novel and report 25% more previously discovered SNPs than are reported than Big Y.

Essentially, Y Prime reported 92% coverage of Y Elite, while Y Elite reported about 40% more coverage than Big Y.

In terms of ...
Big Y: approximately 8 mega-bases to 10 mega-bases
Y Elite: over 14 mega-bases
Y Prime: approximately 12.8 mega-bases to 13 mega-bases

This is based on a claim that only 14.1 mega-bases of the Y-chromosome can be reliably sequenced, using 100 base reads.

Also, future Y tests from Full Genomes Corp. (FGC) will use 250 base-long read lengths, versus 100 base-long read lengths used by FGC previously and Big Y currently. This will significantly increase SNP calling reliability and quality, and will greatly enhance reliability for reporting STRs from the raw data as well.

250 base reads should improve the above coverage of both Y Elite and Y Prime somewhat, I would expect.

I haven't yet heard from anyone who has been dissatisfied with FGC's product.

Essentially, Big Y is good, Y Prime is much better, and Y Elite is the cat's meow.

*Disclaimer: I was one of FGC's phase 2 pilot participants ( = customer) for Y Elite, and I give them my full endorsement.

Also, discuss with the FGC Team member who occasionally posts on this forum. It seams that a discount can sometimes be negotiated.

Thank you. How do I find this FGC team member to see about a possible discount?

paulgill
04-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Thank you. How do I find this FGC team member to see about a possible discount?Click on contact us and send them an email. https://www.fullgenomes.com/