PDA

View Full Version : Depressed that 23andme gave me R1b-l21

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 02:05 PM
Im bummed out that i have this lame haplotype R1b1b2a1a2f* Is exactly what they gave me

now i dont know if i should trust them or save up for a FTDNA test.

im considering Wrapping it up if i really am a R-l21 loser :\

would i be the first guy ever to kill himself over a haplotype test if i did?

GTC
04-12-2015, 02:15 PM
What specifically is your problem with being L21?

MJost
04-12-2015, 03:26 PM
Im bummed out that i have this lame haplotype R1b1b2a1a2f* Is exactly what they gave me

I take it you are not a fan of L21, father of Big Daddy DF13? What haplogroup, that was not 'R', were you expecting?

L11 is father to the largest most common European lineage, east to west increasing with over 110 million men according to MHammer starting ~5kya. Maybe your an outlier whose ancestors left the fold early and went to the near east or just stayed home in Western Asia.

You should at least be interested in where you exactly fit under L21 for reference. You might find that your ancestors have been settled for several millennium. 23andme list of SNPs on a Chip is woefully out of date. I would suggest you take the YSEQ R1b-L21 Super-Clade Orientation Panel since it will further define your derived mutations under L21.

MJost

MitchellSince1893
04-12-2015, 03:42 PM
=Gurt W";78905]Im bummed out have this lame haplotype R1b1b2a1a2f* Is exactly what they gave me

I hear you. L21 is so "Celtic Fringe" Who Wants To be Irish, Welsh, Scottish, or heaven forbid...English? I'm so thankful I'm U152!. A true "Continental Celt" :D (autosomally I'm 80% British and Irish).

EDIT: Apparently people aren't picking up on my subtle humor here (see post below). Before anyone takes my comments above serious, I'm KIDDING!!! I am mostly, English, Scottish, Welsh, and Irish i.e. "celtic fringe" (meant also as a joke). This thread has forced me go back to my old pie chart avatar picture! :P

MJost
04-12-2015, 04:04 PM
I hear you. L21 is so "Celtic Fringe" Who Wants To be Irish, Welsh, Scottish, or heaven forbid...English? I'm so thankful I'm U152!. A true "Continental Celt" :D (autosomally I'm 80% British and Irish).

You show five of six northwestern country flags. Every L11>P312 Subclade ARE the 'true "Continental Celts".

MJost

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 04:12 PM
how do i take the YSEQ R1b-L21 Super-Clade Orientation Pane I would be interested as i really have no idea who my immigrant ancestor was (May have been a heugenot)

anyway i was hoping to be able to prove i was decended from a Badass germanic barbarian... but not with the l-21.. i geuss.

At least my moms U4a1a is more uniqe...

but i know her furthest female ancestor was a German.

MJost
04-12-2015, 04:35 PM
how do i take the YSEQ R1b-L21 Super-Clade Orientation Pane I would be interested as i really have no idea who my immigrant ancestor was (May have been a heugenot)

anyway i was hoping to be able to prove i was decended from a Badass germanic barbarian... but not with the l-21.. i geuss.

You could be L21* but that would be rare. You have a 99% chance to be part of "Big Daddy DF13", the original ancient Celtic version of 'Nail of Nine or 'Genghis Khan'.

For this exceptional price, the L21 panel test will confirm you belong to L21*, DF13 or DF63. DF13 has 20+ subclades you will be tested for here:
http://www.yseq.net/product_info.php?products_id=4321

Make sure you put in the notes you are L21+ from 23andme.

MJost

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 04:50 PM
if i have a 99% chance of being DF13 whats the point in me spending 80$.

Anywase i requested 23andme to re analyze my results because they came in so fast... under 2 weeks i think they rushed them.

What is the L21 panel test anyway is that another DNA kit thingy.

MitchellSince1893
04-12-2015, 04:53 PM
You show five of six northwestern country flags. Every L11>P312 Subclade ARE the 'true "Continental Celts".

MJostIt was a joke...hence the :D. I added the parentheses with my ancestry to point out the irony of my previous statement...I guess it was still too subtle.

MJost
04-12-2015, 04:55 PM
if i have a 99% chance of being DF13 whats the point in me spending 80$.

Anywase i requested 23andme to re analyze my results because they came in so fast... under 2 weeks i think they rushed them.

What is the L21 panel test anyway is that another DNA kit thingy.

Since you so negative and didn't read the post I made concerning being positive for one of 20+ branches, I really don't care to follow-up with an answer.

Good luck.

MJost

Alpine Hominin
04-12-2015, 05:02 PM

Should you trust 23andME's haplogroup assignment? Yes. You may have deeper subclades (23andME shows me as U152 rather than the downstream L2 I've been confirmed through FTDNA) but you're still L21 just like I'm still U152. Personally I think the fact you're ashamed of your true ancestors in favor of another group is ridiculous, but not uncommon. It's your choice whether to pursue the hobby, and if you're more interested in proving an assumed lineage than actually discovering your own this testing will be more hurtful than helpful. I hear a lot of people say they don't want to test because they don't want to learn they're not from the background they think, but is going on about your life pretending to be someone you're not really better?

Lastly, avoid direct insults (Like calling L21 people "Losers") or you'll be given an infraction. Please read the Rules of Conduct for this site.

Webb
04-12-2015, 05:06 PM
Are you for real?!?!?! When you test your DNA you should be prepared that your results might not end up the way you hope. Of all of the things DNA can reveal, a undesired haplogroup is minor. There are a lot of people who have ended up discovering a NPE. So it could be worse, for crying out loud!

VinceT
04-12-2015, 05:45 PM

I'll second MJost's responses.

But boy, do I feel silly, to think that I once hoped I was L21+ so I could join the massive ranks of the groovy continental Celts. As it turned out, I'm an extraordinarily rare U106>FCG396 Germanic but possibly maybe not, who really knows, type.

In reality, the fashionable strict assignment of European iron-age language and cultures onto R-L11 clades which had their inception during the late neolithic to early bronze age (like R-P312, R-U106, and R-S1196, and their immediate sub-clades) is questionable at best.

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 06:03 PM
I'll second MJost's responses.

But boy, do I feel silly, to think that I once hoped I was L21+ so I could join the massive ranks of the groovy continental Celts. As it turned out, I'm an extraordinarily rare U106>FCG396 Germanic but possibly maybe not, who really knows, type.

In reality, the fashionable strict assignment of European iron-age language and cultures onto R-L11 clades which had their inception during the late neolithic to early bronze age (like R-P312, R-U106, and R-S1196, and their immediate sub-clades) is questionable at best.

You are a lucky man i wish i was like you... well Eh maybe next time i will be... im just a piece of trash From appalachia Decended from pieces of trash...

id gladly let a Superior man like you Push my Reset button.

Jessie
04-12-2015, 06:09 PM
I really hoped that my father's dna was M222 and got my brother tested first at 23andMe and he was. I was really pleased. I did think he would be M222 because where my father was from was a hot spot for M222 and I was really pleased to have such deep ancestry in the area. If he wasn't M222 I would still have been excited to discover what subclade and have further testing. My brother is now confirmed as S588 and presently been tested for S603.

Whatever the result of ydna it is still fantastic that people can do this testing now and find out our deep ancestry. I just wish my father was here to share this wonderful journey. Whatever your ydna is there is a great story to be told.

Wulf Warrior
04-12-2015, 06:30 PM
When I was assigned R1a by 23andMe, I was pretty shocked. I was expecting R1b U106 or L21 considering it's likely that they are the predominant Haplogroups in England. Further testing with FTDNa and Nat GEno gave me RCTS8401+ ( Norse Viking )I'm not able to trace my paternal lineage back much further than to Norfolk in the late 1800's, which was once heavily Danelaw, but my ancestor most likely came from Norway ( West Norway ). His arrival to England would be an interesting one, most likely during the Viking age whilst raiding and etc but still, you never know...

Every Y-DNA lineage has it's own and unique story, Celt, Roman or Viking.

vettor
04-12-2015, 06:47 PM
I cannot see or understand the logic that most people have in thinking what ethnicity is in one area today was the same ethnicity which was there 2000 or 3000 or 5000 years ago.

Scarlet Ibis
04-12-2015, 06:57 PM

Just be like this Celtic Fringe guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9aIic8kk8

vettor
04-12-2015, 07:04 PM
When I was assigned R1a by 23andMe, I was pretty shocked. I was expecting R1b U106 or L21 considering it's likely that they are the predominant Haplogroups in England. Further testing with FTDNa and Nat GEno gave me RCTS8401+ ( Norse Viking )I'm not able to trace my paternal lineage back much further than to Norfolk in the late 1800's, which was once heavily Danelaw, but my ancestor most likely came from Norway ( West Norway ). His arrival to England would be an interesting one, most likely during the Viking age whilst raiding and etc but still, you never know...

your natgeno2 marker must be the correct one, because for the last month or two , natgeno2 is the only company that has accurately predicted correctly my ydna and mtdna markers.......and my mtdna is unique ( as I am one of the genbank samples )

can't_lurk_no_mo'
04-12-2015, 07:06 PM

23andMe didn't give it to you; they showed it to you. Your dad gave it to you.

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 07:18 PM

i would climb up a multi storied building and Jump off it too be you!

Arbogan
04-12-2015, 07:34 PM
I really hope you're not being serious. If that gets you depressed. Try researching J1 P56 or J2b1 (which is a genetic dead-end research wise).

J Man
04-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Could possibly be a troll.

Kopfjäger
04-12-2015, 07:42 PM
Just be like this Celtic Fringe guy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB9aIic8kk8

LOL, that was classic, but I was more a fan of Dan Henderson myself. :P

David Mc
04-12-2015, 07:44 PM
Could possibly be a troll.

It would seem so.

Webb
04-12-2015, 07:45 PM
I hope everyone else stops posting responses. It was clear by his first post he is playing games. Normally I would not, not be helpful, but his comments to Vince and Wulfwarrior should remove any doubt he is playing games.

VinceT
04-12-2015, 07:57 PM
Hoo-boy. I'd recommend that you see a therapist, if I wasn't in dire need of one myself. :)

Fact is, your Y-chomosome represents less than 0.1% of your genetic makeup. Defining yourself strictly in terms of that is well, kind of silly. I expected that my maternal uncle of donauschwaben descent would surely belong to haplogroup R. Turned out he was actually in J2b2. But no less a displaced Suabian. Until a genealogical discovery placed his most distantly identified Y-ancestor (born circa 400 years ago) in the Rhineland-Palatinate region, where a multitude of haplogroups abound, even groovy R-L21 folk. But is he still Suabian, despite not having any of his father-line ancestors actually from Swabia? Why not? The language and culture of the group of people his paternal grand-parents and great-grandparents and their parents, grand-parents and great-grandparents lived with were definitively donauschwaben.

Your Y-chromosome haplogroup is R-L21. Go with it. Celebrate it. Learn from it.

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 08:01 PM
Actually i was serious ... i always idolized the idea of my ancestors being Heroic and brave Anglo-saxon and Old Germanic Warriors (im not gay just Somewhat Racist)

When i discoverd my ancestor was likley some Target practice celt it Really Bumbed me out.... Have had Depression for 10 years at least... (over Real life events)

so i am Easy to Depress anywase I really asked on here for the hope of a chance the result they gave me was Wrong... So i could try again with another Company.

Im currently trying to contact 23andme To get My results re Analyzed.

Arbogan
04-12-2015, 08:05 PM
Actually i was serious ... i always idolized the idea of my ancestors being Heroic and brave Anglo-saxon and Old Germanic Warriors (im not gay just Somewhat Racist)

When i discoverd my ancestor was likley some Target practice celt it Really Bumbed me out.... Have had Depression for 10 years at least... (over Real life events)

so i am Easy to Depress anywase I really asked on here for the hope of a chance the result they gave me was Wrong... So i could try again with another Company.

Im currently trying to contact 23andme To get My results re Analyzed.

Good, earned yourself a ban.

Gurt W
04-12-2015, 08:10 PM
Sorry i was hopping to find help on here.

Stephen1986
04-12-2015, 08:20 PM
I've seen some weird attempts at trolling on forums such as these before, but one about being upset in regards to their paternal haplogroup is a new one.

GoldenHind
04-12-2015, 08:24 PM

I couldn't agree more with this, but my occasional post to that effect has engendered so many vitriolic responses I am now gun-shy about expressing that opinion. Leaving U106 aside for the moment, it is very hard to see anything continental Celtic in the P312 subclade L238, which is certainly Scandinavian. While the jury may still be out for P312 subclades DF19 and DF99, their currently known distribution appears to be more similar to U106 than to the three larger P312 subclades.

Arbogan
04-12-2015, 08:26 PM
Sorry i was hopping to find help on here.

Sorry, I think most people agree with me. We don't feed trolls.