PDA

View Full Version : New features at FTDNA

Táltos
04-15-2015, 03:29 AM
Hi guys I just noticed this new search feature at FTDNA. From what I can gather it rolled out a few hours ago? Well you don't have to be logged in. Look at the upper right hand corner of the picture I have. Put any last name in that box. If it's in their database a list will pop up.

It will say private tree for some on the list. You need to be a DNA match to view it. I also saw others that said private tree, and I was able to click on them and see names. They appeared to be of deceased not living individuals. I was able to do that while not logged in. So I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you have living family members private if you do not wish them to be seen. It also shows some groups, but not all. I think it is the ones that have not converted to myGroups format yet.

David Mc
04-15-2015, 03:41 AM
Hi Táltos. I played around with it a bit too. If you are logged in, under advanced settings, you can restrict the results to your DNA matches. That could be quite useful.

Táltos
04-15-2015, 03:53 AM
Hi Táltos. I played around with it a bit too. If you are logged in, under advanced settings, you can restrict the results to your DNA matches. That could be quite useful.

Thanks David. I'm playing around with it right now as I only just discovered it! That's good to know. I think for me I'm just not keen on anyone being able to see living family members on my tree. I'm okay with deceased family being set to public. Not parents though. I figure a lot use the internet anyway when researching family history, so there is some benefit to leaving it open little.

dp
04-21-2015, 10:57 PM

Hi guys I just noticed this new search feature at FTDNA. From what I can gather it rolled out a few hours ago? Well you don't have to be logged in. Look at the upper right hand corner of the picture I have. Put any last name in that box. If it's in their database a list will pop up.

It will say private tree for some on the list. You need to be a DNA match to view it. I also saw others that said private tree, and I was able to click on them and see names. They appeared to be of deceased not living individuals. I was able to do that while not logged in. So I guess the moral of the story is to make sure you have living family members private if you do not wish them to be seen. It also shows some groups, but not all. I think it is the ones that have not converted to myGroups format yet.

Thanks for the heads up.
dp :-)