PDA

View Full Version : Help Solve My Riddle Re: These Scottish Surnames

LarryMc
04-23-2015, 03:38 AM
I am one of two McCutche(o)n men who have taken a 111 marker test, and it appears that we are only distantly related as we have a GD of 10. However we both appear to fall strongly within the signature of Clan Campbell...I have a GD of 6 to the Campbell Modal, the other man a GD of 4. I do not understand the implications of this, as it also appears we both share some of the same mutations with Campbells that descend from their progenitor. So, is it likely that we only share a common descent from a progenitor before the advent of surnames, or more likely that there was an adoption, remarriage, NPE etc after (Campbell) surname adoption? Any thoughts appreciated.

Larry Mc
PS. See Ulster DNA Project under "Caim Beul" Listing

MikeWhalen
04-23-2015, 11:13 AM
it seems to me that a gd of 10 for 111 markers is still pretty good

our dna goes back alot farther than our surnames, so given your relative closeness to each other and your even closer gd to the surname modal, I don't think there is much doubt that you share a male ancestor from before surnames rather than the NPE

anyway, that's how I would bet my 25 cents on the issue

good luck

Mike

rms2
04-23-2015, 11:20 AM
Does any of your genetic distance come at markers where a RecLoH could have occurred? Sometimes those will make genetic distance look greater than it really is. I couldn't find a McCutcheon DNA Project where the y-dna results page was readily accessible. Do you have a link to one?

LarryMc
04-23-2015, 03:50 PM
Haven't found a RecLoh possibility yet...our McCutchen results are posted under Clan Donald DNA Project...under R1b Classified category...about 2/3 way down the page...I am the R McCutchen gd of 4/111 from the McCutchen Modal...the other McCutchen I refer to is the J G McCutchen with a gd of 6/111