PDA

View Full Version : Persians of East Africa

jesus
05-18-2015, 09:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqK_hCf8Jng

Farroukh
06-13-2015, 06:46 AM
Also there was a little Parsi (Zoroastrian) community. Freddie Mercury was born in Stonetown, Zanzibar at 1946.

Alanson
12-27-2015, 06:12 AM
The Capital city of Somalia has Persian root, it means seat of the Shah

drobbah
12-28-2015, 12:01 AM
The name "Mogadishu" is held to be derived from the Arabic مقعد شاه Maq'ad Shah ("The seat of the Shah"), a reflection of the city's Persian influence.

Benadir is a coastal region of South Somalia. It contains the capital of Mogadishu. The name comes from Persian bandar, which means port (referring to the Southern ports of Barawa and Mogadishu), a fact that reflects the region's importance to Persian and Arab trade during the Middle Ages. In the North there are also some towns which have the Persian word Bandar such as Bandar Qaasim(now Bosaaso) and Bandar 3abbas( which is now next to modern day Berbera).Persian influence mostly in South Somalia and the Swahili Coast(Kenya,tanzania) while North Somalia(where I come from) has more Arab influence

Persian architecture is also visible in some places of Mogadishu till this day

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
06-28-2016, 12:13 AM
Interesting video!, I have a Shirazi Ggg grandfather Khatib Basheikh I was unsure about who the Shirazi people of East Africa are but the video seemed to showed me every thing thanks @jesus :)

Mustache
07-16-2016, 03:29 AM
Are you sure your Grandfather was a Shirazi? The last name Basheikh sounds very Hadhrami Yemeni

SWAHILLI_PRINCE16
07-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Are you sure your Grandfather was a Shirazi? The last name Basheikh sounds very Hadhrami Yemeni

I got told by my grandfather; it would likely make sense for him to be Yemeni tho because of the more historical relations the Arabs had with the Swahili coast.

Aceharlock
04-03-2017, 08:27 PM
Persians go left to right with their cultures, from China and Russia to East Africa. :)