PDA

View Full Version : 23andMe result thread for Sam_Isaack

Gray Fox
05-20-2015, 08:27 PM
Well I've finally pulled the trigger and have ordered a kit from another testing company! Hopefully this will give me some better insight to my overall ethnic make-up. I just ordered today and I will add to this thread as new info becomes available.

Hopefully the fast turn around time that I've seen mentioned will apply to me as well!

Gray Fox
05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Well its looking like their reputation for speed is going to be upheld. The kit has just left Knoxville, Tn and is in transit. Should be arriving sometime around noon I'd say.

BalkanKiwi
05-23-2015, 07:02 AM
Well its looking like their reputation for speed is going to be upheld. The kit has just left Knoxville, Tn and is in transit. Should be arriving sometime around noon I'd say.

Impressive.

Gray Fox
05-23-2015, 07:05 AM
Impressive.

I'm already leaps and bounds more impressed with just the speed of their delivery compared to Ftdna.. More comprehensive results may just set me over the edge :)

BalkanKiwi
05-23-2015, 07:11 AM
I'm already leaps and bounds more impressed with just the speed of their delivery compared to Ftdna.. More comprehensive results may just set me over the edge :)

Their DHL express is mighty expensive to Australia however it went from 23andMe HQ to here 3 days and vice versa and I got all my results in less than 4 weeks. It took me almost 3 months to get my FTDNA Family Finder results. I only got 23andMe a few months ago but it seems to be more globally accepted than FTDNA. It has more features like Countries of Ancestry which is only realistic if the person puts the right info in, but you get a good idea on the geography of your matches. on FTDNA my top matches are mostly Brits and Americans but there is no way of knowing where their ancestry is from without asking them.

I like 23andMe's ancestry composition better because it actually gives me Balkan and a more realistic amount of East Euro :)

Gray Fox
05-23-2015, 07:27 AM
Their DHL express is mighty expensive to Australia however it went from 23andMe HQ to here 3 days and vice versa and I got all my results in less than 4 weeks. It took me almost 3 months to get my FTDNA Family Finder results. I only got 23andMe a few months ago but it seems to be more globally accepted than FTDNA. It has more features like Countries of Ancestry which is only realistic if the person puts the right info in, but you get a good idea on the geography of your matches. on FTDNA my top matches are mostly Brits and Americans but there is no way of knowing where their ancestry is from without asking them.

I like 23andMe's ancestry composition better because it actually gives me Balkan and a more realistic amount of East Euro :)

I've never been happy with Ftdna's turn around time. I wasn't too impressed with the my origins feature either.. 96 percent European and 4 percent eastern middle east..:\ Though I did find out the y-haplo of one family line that I probably wasn't going to get to test on my own accord. I'll give them that.

I remember reading something to the effect of your situation where international 23andMe shipments end up in the price range of $300! Still that's amazing that it arrived in three days with that much distance to cover and the shipping and processing nightmare that I figured would've taken place.

That is the main reason I've purchased this kit, better comprehension of my overall ethnicity. Like I said, 96% euro 4% eastern middle east was too basic for me and rather unrealistic. Of course I can't complain too much. My surname admin was bored one evening, and since I've been his right hand man for the last eight years, he surprised me and purchased the family finder for me last year.

Krefter
05-23-2015, 08:45 AM

I got my raw data in I think 3-4 weeks after I ordered online. I can't remember exactly. I got my results a few days after that. But all you need is the raw data.

Gray Fox
05-23-2015, 04:52 PM
As predicted the kit has arrived!

Gray Fox
05-30-2015, 10:40 AM
Just a quick update on my 23andMe journey. I had to wait until Tuesday to ship it back to them because of Memorial day.

"Your sample was received at our laboratory on 05/30/2015 and is currently in the queue to go through DNA extraction and amplification."

Gray Fox
06-03-2015, 06:29 PM
To help give everyone an idea of the wait time, I have been updating this thread with my progress..

5-20-2015 - Kit ordered

5-23-2015 - Kit arrived

5-26-2015 - Kit mailed back to 23andMe

5-30-2015 - Kit received

6-3-2015 - Kit enters analysis

vettor
06-03-2015, 07:13 PM
Keep in mind to use Felix program to drag out the SNP's of these 23andme tests

very very helpful

Gray Fox
06-03-2015, 07:15 PM

very very helpful

I'm not familiar with this.. Care to elaborate?

The Barnacle
06-03-2015, 07:19 PM
I ordered mine on the 23 of May, kit arrived on the 30th. It's the 3rd today and my sample is in transit. Why is it taking so long for me while your miles ahead?

It was actually around midnight 22nd May

Gray Fox
06-03-2015, 07:34 PM
I ordered mine on the 23 of May, kit arrived on the 30th. It's the 3rd today and my sample is in transit. Why is it taking so long for me while your miles ahead?

Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking? I'm in the continental United States.

vettor
06-03-2015, 07:34 PM

use this

http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/23andme-to-ysnps.html

Kaido
06-03-2015, 08:08 PM

UK kits are shipped to Europe first and then onto the US so it takes around a week (or longer).

The Barnacle
06-03-2015, 08:10 PM
UK kits are shipped to Europe first and then onto the US so it takes around a week (or longer).

Shouldn't it be quicker for us then?

The Barnacle
06-03-2015, 08:11 PM
Where do you live, if you don't mind my asking? I'm in the continental United States.

The Uk

ArmandoR1b
06-03-2015, 08:38 PM

very very helpful

use this

http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/23andme-to-ysnps.html

That program won't be necessary for Sam. Since he is positive for SRY2627 he will be assigned R1b1b2a1a2c (that is a 2009 longhand name) and shown derived (positive) for i3000043 M167/SRY2627 at 23andme. There aren't any SNPs tested downstream from M167/SRY2627 at 23andme. They are way behind when it comes to testing Y-DNA and no option to do any additional SNP testing.

You can use that program along with the ISOGG Y-Tree AddOn for Google Chrome by Felix at http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/isogg-y-tree-addon-for-google-chrome.html then go to http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html and you should see everything that 23andme tests for as negative since you are from haplogroup T.

Even the ISOGG tree doesn't show anything below SRY2627 yet the YFull tree shows a lot of SNPs that are downstream. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Z262/

Gray Fox
06-03-2015, 09:11 PM
That program won't be necessary for Sam. Since he is positive for SRY2627 he will be assigned R1b1b2a1a2c (that is a 2009 longhand name) and shown derived (positive) for i3000043 M167/SRY2627 at 23andme. There aren't any SNPs tested downstream from M167/SRY2627 at 23andme. They are way behind when it comes to testing Y-DNA and no option to do any additional SNP testing.

You can use that program along with the ISOGG Y-Tree AddOn for Google Chrome by Felix at http://www.y-str.org/2014/04/isogg-y-tree-addon-for-google-chrome.html then go to http://www.isogg.org/tree/ISOGG_HapgrpR.html and you should see everything that 23andme tests for as negative since you are from haplogroup T.

Even the ISOGG tree doesn't show anything below SRY2627 yet the YFull tree shows a lot of SNPs that are downstream. http://www.yfull.com/tree/R-Z262/

Thanks! I was curious as to how they would interpret my data.. In all honesty I didn't think they would even get as far SRY2627. I was fully expecting to be given the L176.2 status and no further.

ArmandoR1b
06-04-2015, 02:03 AM
Thanks! I was curious as to how they would interpret my data.. In all honesty I didn't think they would even get as far SRY2627. I was fully expecting to be given the L176.2 status and no further.

Unfortunately, they don't even test P312, DF27, Z195, Z196, Z198, L176.2, or Z292. The only SNPs downstream of DF27 that they test are M167/SRY2627 and M153.

ADW_1981
06-04-2015, 02:08 AM
The cousin "cap" is the most frustrating thing about this product. You'll hit the cap and you'll never see many of your cousins due to the restrictions. Otherwise a decent offering for the price.

Gray Fox
06-04-2015, 02:20 AM
Unfortunately, they don't even test P312, DF27, Z195, Z196, Z198, L176.2, or Z292. The only SNPs downstream of DF27 that they test are M167/SRY2627 and M153.

Wow, I figured they at least tested P312.. I'm not too surprised about the others though.. We're the red-headed step child of the P312 family :\

ADW_1981
06-04-2015, 03:53 AM
Wow, I figured they at least tested P312.. I'm not too surprised about the others though.. We're the red-headed step child of the P312 family :\

Some of the older members that were on the version 2 chip have results for P312. There's probably a scientific explanation why there is no result on v3 or v4 for this but it's beyond me. I think you will be on version 4.

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:12 AM

ok, thanks

apparently it works for Natgeno2 finding both positive and negative SNP in all the 14500 plus that NG2 test.

I find the negatives equally important as the positives

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:15 AM
The cousin "cap" is the most frustrating thing about this product. You'll hit the cap and you'll never see many of your cousins due to the restrictions. Otherwise a decent offering for the price.

what is cousin cap?

Humanist
06-04-2015, 06:31 AM
what is cousin cap?

I may be mistaken, but I believe 23andMe does not list RF matches beyond a certain number (1000?).

ArmandoR1b
06-04-2015, 12:40 PM

Yes we are.

Táltos
06-04-2015, 02:53 PM
I may be mistaken, but I believe 23andMe does not list RF matches beyond a certain number (1000?).

Yep. You can try to work around it though by inviting all of your matches to share. I've been able to get some of my kits over 1,040 at times but they will eventually disappear. I think I start to lose some again if don't invite the new ones to share. It gets to be too time consuming.

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Yep. You can try to work around it though by inviting all of your matches to share. I've been able to get some of my kits over 1,040 at times but they will eventually disappear. I think I start to lose some again if don't invite the new ones to share. It gets to be too time consuming.

Does the lower % of matches get dropped off to remain within this 1000 number or do they drop off the "non shareable" older ones first?

Táltos
06-04-2015, 06:21 PM
Does the lower % of matches get dropped off to remain within this 1000 number or do they drop off the "non shareable" older ones first?

Yes the lower percent of matching are the ones to go if you didn't send an invite. I think the ones just marked distant. Older ones that won't share, even if they are distant will still remain. Also larger matches that you might have forgot to send a sharing invite to will remain.

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:23 PM
Yes the lower percent of matching are the ones to go if you didn't send an invite. I think the ones just marked distant. Older ones that won't share, even if they are distant will still remain. If I'm not mistaken as long as you sent an invite they won't drop them off your list, even though they won't accept the share. Also larger matches that you might have forgot to send a sharing invite to will remain.

I also have auto shareable system matches where neither myself or the other person has asked to share.............what happens with these

Táltos
06-04-2015, 06:26 PM
I also have auto shareable system matches where neither myself or the other person has asked to share.............what happens with these

I'm not sure what auto shareable system matches are? But if you just mean your overall matches, and you are not anywhere near the 1,000 cap- nothing will happen to them if you didn't ask to share. You would only have to worry if your numbers are constantly in the upper 900s.

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm not sure what auto shareable system matches are? But if you just mean your overall matches, and you are not anywhere near the 1,000 cap- nothing will happen to them if you didn't ask to share. You would only have to worry if your numbers are constantly in the upper 900s.

I have 4 types

- Send and introduction ....................
- Public match ...........................I never sent an introduction
- Sharing Genomes ...................I have sent an introduction
- introduction sent ...............I sent introduction, but never received reply

The public match which is auto generated , and is a match discovered by the system, this has never appeared for me until after my son did Phasing in 23andme. These public matches also give me an option to send an introduction if I like.

I also have a P symbol for paternal only matches

I have never received a reply from Carol ............she does not show a ydna marker

Stephen Parrish
06-07-2015, 08:06 PM

Sam -

23andMe confirmed my SRY2627+ six years ago with its v2 chip.

Stephen

Gray Fox
06-13-2015, 03:13 AM
Hot dog! Initial results are in..

Neanderthal percentage : 2.8%

Y-DNA: R1b1b2a1a2c (SRY2627)

mtDNA: J1c8

I'm going to upload the raw data to Gedmatch either tonight or tomorrow.

Gray Fox
06-14-2015, 07:27 AM
Ancestry composition has been completed... (Speculative mode)

99.1%
European
0.7%
Sub-Saharan African
0.1%
Oceanian
0.0%
Middle Eastern & North African
0.0%
South Asian
0.0%
East Asian & Native American
0.1%
Unassigned

Gray Fox
06-14-2015, 07:30 AM
Sub regional view..

99.1%
European

Northern European
64.7%
British & Irish
6.2%
French & German
2.7%
Scandinavian
24.0%
Broadly Northern European

Southern European
0.2%
Iberian
< 0.1%
Broadly Southern European
1.3%
Broadly European
0.7%
Sub-Saharan African
0.7%
West African
0.1%
Oceanian
0.1%
Unassigned

BalkanKiwi
06-14-2015, 10:24 AM
Sub regional view..

99.1%
European

Northern European
64.7%
British & Irish
6.2%
French & German
2.7%
Scandinavian
24.0%

Southern European
0.2%
Iberian
< 0.1%
1.3%
Broadly European
0.7%
Sub-Saharan African
0.7%
West African
0.1%
Oceanian
0.1%
Unassigned

For someone of Western European ancestry your composition is much more interesting than mine. There's that African so its probably safe to say you do have an African ancestor at some point.

Táltos
06-14-2015, 01:52 PM
Sub regional view..

99.1%
European

Northern European
64.7%
British & Irish
6.2%
French & German
2.7%
Scandinavian
24.0%

Southern European
0.2%
Iberian
< 0.1%
1.3%
Broadly European
0.7%
Sub-Saharan African
0.7%
West African
0.1%
Oceanian
0.1%
Unassigned

Congrats on your results Sam! What does your African result look like conservative and standard modes? I have a very small amount of East African that shows up in all three modes. For my mom though it only shows up in Speculative. Considering that you have some Colonial ancestry, I'm not surprised that you would have an African ancestor. :)

Gray Fox
06-14-2015, 06:52 PM
For someone of Western European ancestry your composition is much more interesting than mine. There's that African so its probably safe to say you do have an African ancestor at some point.

Congrats on your results Sam! What does your African result look like conservative and standard modes? I have a very small amount of East African that shows up in all three modes. For my mom though it only shows up in Speculative. Considering that you have some Colonial ancestry, I'm not surprised that you would have an African ancestor. :)

Thanks! In standard mode the African remains at 0.7, but is further broken down into 0.5 West African and 0.1 broadly sub-Saharan. Conservative mode knocks it down to 0.4 and says 0.1 West African and 0.3 broadly sub-Saharan. It does appear to be real, as it consistently shows up on a few chromosomes albeit in very small chunks. I'd like to have my Dad tested next. I still don't know his mitochondrial haplo and it might shed some light on how legitimate these less than one percent regions are.

Táltos
06-14-2015, 07:04 PM
Thanks! In standard mode the African remains at 0.7, but is further broken down into 0.5 West African and 0.1 broadly sub-Saharan. Conservative mode knocks it down to 0.4 and says 0.1 West African and 0.3 broadly sub-Saharan. It does appear to be real, as it consistently shows up on a few chromosomes albeit in very small chunks. I'd like to have my Dad tested next. I still don't know his mitochondrial haplo and it might shed some light on how legitimate these less than one percent regions are.
You're welcome, and thanks for posting the conservative and standard. Yes it looks like you have a distant African ancestor. If you can test one or both of your parents there, that would be very helpful for you. :)
Edit-My Askenazi is 0.9 in all three modes over there, though I still have no paper trail for having Jewish ancestors. You can see what my father's Y DNA is in my profile. Also try to use your COA for matches that are African American that match you in those spots. I can easily see my Jewish matches by using that tool.

Gray Fox
06-14-2015, 07:13 PM
You're welcome, and thanks for posting the conservative and standard. Yes it looks like you have a distant African ancestor. If you can test one or both of your parents there, that would be very helpful for you. :)

Yeah and it could easily be on either side, perhaps both, but fairly far back. I'm very surprised that I don't show a bit of Amerindian, nothing but zeros across the east Asian section in all modes. I'm also quite impressed with gedmatch after receiving my results.. They predicted virtually the same thing as 23andme. The chromosome painters do seem to be accurate as they predicted the same sections of my chromosomes to be African as 23andme. I guess the amount was too noisy for Ftdna to accurately predict it on their ancestry comp.

Táltos
06-14-2015, 07:20 PM
Yeah and it could easily be on either side, perhaps both, but fairly far back. I'm very surprised that I don't show a bit of Amerindian, nothing but zeros across the east Asian section in all modes. I'm also quite impressed with gedmatch after receiving my results.. They predicted virtually the same thing as 23andme. The chromosome painters do seem to be accurate as they predicted the same sections of my chromosomes to be African as 23andme. I guess the amount was too noisy for Ftdna to accurately predict it on their ancestry comp.

Having one or both of your parents test will help improve your results. In other words, your result will slightly change if they test. You will also be able to use split view to see which parent you inherited which ancestry from.

Gray Fox
06-14-2015, 07:28 PM
Having one or both of your parents test will help improve your results. In other words, your result will slightly change if they test. You will also be able to use split view to see which parent you inherited which ancestry from.

I am tempted to order it for my Dad, more so him, because I'd also find out his mtDNA. Though I'm torn at the moment because I'd like to order another beer kit! I came really close to ordering it last time, but the 23andMe test was too tempting :)

Táltos
06-14-2015, 07:42 PM
I am tempted to order it for my Dad, more so him, because I'd also find out his mtDNA. Though I'm torn at the moment because I'd like to order another beer kit! I came really close to ordering it last time, but the 23andMe test was too tempting :)

Hmm, DNA kit, beer kit...decisions, decisions. LOL! I'd order the DNA kit. You will get more hours of enjoyment out of that one. :biggrin1:

BalkanKiwi
06-14-2015, 10:36 PM

Apparently you're more Oceanian than me :biggrin1:

Gray Fox
06-15-2015, 01:30 AM
Apparently you're more Oceanian than me :biggrin1:

I do show a small segment on chromosome 12 for it.. Has to be noise, as I can't think of an explanation for it!

Scarlet Ibis
07-02-2015, 12:42 AM
Hi Sam, have your Countries of Ancestry results loaded yet?

Gray Fox
07-02-2015, 01:26 AM
Hi Sam, have your Countries of Ancestry results loaded yet?

Yep..

5cM

United Kingdom
9.9%
Ireland
2.5%
Germany
1.7%
Netherlands
1.6%
Italy
0.8%
Denmark
0.8%
Sweden
0.7%
Norway
0.7%
Poland
0.6%
Mexico
0.6%
Ukraine
0.5%
Romania
0.5%
Cuba
0.5%
Belgium
0.5%
Spain
0.4%
Argentina
0.4%
Serbia
0.3%
Jamaica
0.3%
France
0.3%
Finland
0.3%
Turkey
0.2%
Slovenia
0.2%
Lithuania
0.2%
Czech Republic
0.2%
Bulgaria
0.2%
Brazil
0.2%
United States Minor Outlying Islands
0.1%
Tonga
0.1%
Syria
0.1%
Russia
0.1%
Portugal
0.1%
Morocco
0.1%
Macedonia
0.1%
Liberia
0.1%
Iran
0.1%
India
0.1%
Greece
0.1%
Faroe Islands
0.1%
Colombia
0.1%
Belarus
0.1%
Algeria
0.1%
Albania
0.1%
Puerto Rico
0.0%
Hungary
0.0%
Austria
0.0%

I believe the initial setting was to 6 or 7 cM, at any rate here are the results for that level.

United Kingdom
3.2%
Ireland
0.4%
Serbia
0.2%
Romania
0.2%
Tonga
0.1%
Spain
0.1%
Czech Republic
0.1%
Belgium
0.1%

Gray Fox
08-12-2015, 10:38 PM
Just received a really cool message from a 23andMe relative. She's only a fifth cousin, but due to her recent immigration to the US and the fact that she is J1c8, I'm thinking this must be a fairly old mtDNA cousin.. I'd always presumed the line to be of British origin, but after this message I'm not so sure!

"We share the same Maternal Haplogroup! I was born in Yugoslavia and my family immigrated to the USA in 1950 as refugees.
I belong to an ethnic group called "Donauschwaben." My native language is a dialect of German. My mother's name was Noll.

My maiden name was Diener."

Donauschwaben translates to "Danube Swabian". Interesting!