PDA

View Full Version : Your nonword reading score on 23andme?

Piquerobi
05-21-2015, 11:25 AM
Reading Ability

Learning to read is a normal part of human development and natural variation in reading ability between individuals is influenced by both genetic and non-genetic factors. A number of tests have been developed that assess different components of reading ability, including reading comprehension, vocabulary, word recognition, and nonword reading. Nonword reading tests the ability to decode combinations of phonemes—the sounds that make up language—using unfamiliar "nonwords" composed of otherwise acceptable letter-sounds, and is therefore independent of a person's vocabulary. While variation in reading ability is normal, the discovery of genetic factors that affect these skills may illuminate underlying biological mechanisms for language disorders such as dyslexia.

Nonword reading refers to the ability to read combinations of letter-sounds that don't correspond to actual words.

My results (I'm the only one out of the ones I'm sharing with who carries C at rs11857829; I wonder about the frequency of people carrying C):

CT: Subjects had a slightly higher nonword reading score on average.

Petr
05-21-2015, 12:07 PM
The frequency can be found here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/SNP/snp_ref.cgi?rs=11857829 - it is 15.2 % for CEU population.

surbakhunWeesste
05-21-2015, 12:40 PM
Are you dyslexic?

Piquerobi
05-21-2015, 01:14 PM
Are you dyslexic?

I'm not.