PDA

View Full Version : AncestryDNA now available for Australians

BalkanKiwi
06-04-2015, 11:37 AM
I don't know how many Australians venture here but AncestryDNA testing is now available. The kit is $149AUD and $30 for shipping.

http://dna.ancestry.com.au/

vettor
06-04-2015, 06:09 PM
I don't know how many Australians venture here but AncestryDNA testing is now available. The kit is $149AUD and $30 for shipping.

http://dna.ancestry.com.au/

I am confused, did not ancestry get rid of their DNA data

Is this a test only for AuDna and not YDna or MtDna ?

BalkanKiwi
06-04-2015, 08:49 PM

From the sounds of it its only auDNA.

rivergirl
06-05-2015, 12:31 AM
With the database overwhelmingly American, I'm not sure how useful it will be.
$180 sounds a lot to me, the shipping fee is high....

MacUalraig
06-09-2015, 08:51 AM

It has some Y SNPs on it although its mostly autosomal/X. M222 is on it. :-)

MacUalraig
06-09-2015, 08:54 AM
With the database overwhelmingly American, I'm not sure how useful it will be.
$180 sounds a lot to me, the shipping fee is high....

I'm pleased its coming out in Australia, there weren't many emigrants to the US from the area I come from. I have known family in Australia including Kennedys. The proportion of non-Americans is going to improve but its going to take time. I have quite a few English resident matches already and one or two Scottish ones. Most people don't give a place of residence on their profile so there are probably more than is apparent.

BalkanKiwi
06-09-2015, 09:38 AM
I'm pleased its coming out in Australia, there weren't many emigrants to the US from the area I come from. I have known family in Australia including Kennedys. The proportion of non-Americans is going to improve but its going to take time. I have quite a few English resident matches already and one or two Scottish ones. Most people don't give a place of residence on their profile so there are probably more than is apparent.

I happen to have an Irish Kennedy line in my family tree. I imagine much of Ancestry's database is made up of Americans (probably due to their sales restriction to other countries).

MacUalraig
06-09-2015, 10:02 AM
I happen to have an Irish Kennedy line in my family tree. I imagine much of Ancestry's database is made up of Americans (probably due to their sales restriction to other countries).

I think UK test results started to come out in late March from what I can make out. In a year or two things will be very different. Of course the populations are much smaller anyway. USA 318M Scotland 5M... so we are only ever going to be a tiny proportion.

Jessie
06-19-2015, 12:12 PM

Kennedy's on my maternal side from Tipperary, a great great grandmother.

MacUalraig
06-25-2015, 06:24 AM
Got my first Australian resident match this morning, if this is related to the launch they have been done very quickly. Has roots in Dundee and Devon.