PDA

View Full Version : Genomepatri

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 03:11 AM
http://www.mapmygenome.in/

Anyone ever heard of them? Any reviews? A friend of mine in India wants to take the test but i dont think any major companies like Ftdna and 23&me ship there.

Táltos
06-05-2015, 03:46 AM
I don't really know anything about them. Interesting that they test for genetic predisposition to diseases. I was able to load up a shopping cart to a United States address. I didn't really order though. I wonder how that works considering the FDA crackdown with 23andme?

Maybe they are still very under the radar? Great then if they are! The prices though are much more expensive than 23andme. And unfortunately MonkeyDLuffy I don't know much else to say about them.

See this chart for international shipping. http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart
Looks like FTDNA is worldwide, and 23andme is in 56 countries. I would think India is one of those 56.

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 03:53 AM
Does the family finder package from ftdna tells the mtdna? Can I download raw data from there too? My friend is female hence the ydna is useless for her and mtdna plans are too expensive. Atm we're looking at basic plans, which can give us genetic mixture, raw data and the mtdna halogroup.

We checked 23&me and they dont ship to India it seems. She is not interested in health results anyway.

Thanks

N21163
06-05-2015, 04:07 AM
Does the family finder package from ftdna tells the mtdna? Can I download raw data from there too? My friend is female hence the ydna is useless for her and mtdna plans are too expensive. Atm we're looking at basic plans, which can give us genetic mixture, raw data and the mtdna halogroup.

We checked 23&me and they dont ship to India it seems. She is not interested in health results anyway.

Thanks

Family finder doesn't include the mtDNA haplogroup, so you will need to pay for a separate lot of testing for that.
The mtDNA full sequence test is $199 USD and you will be able to download raw data in FASTA file format (please refer to attached sample results)

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 04:09 AM
Does the mtdna full sequence includes genetic mixture as well?

N21163
06-05-2015, 04:16 AM
Does the mtdna full sequence includes genetic mixture as well?

No mate. Family Finder is the genetic admixture (autosomal DNA).

If you want to know both the genetic admixture and have mtDNA results then 2 separate tests need to be ordered:

Family Finder = $99 USD
MTDNA Full Sequence = $199 USD

TOTAL = $298 USD

Have a look at the tests on the website: https://www.familytreedna.com/products.aspx

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 04:20 AM
23&me looks cheaper then. Shame they don't ship to India. Which other company would you recommend which tells the mtdna and gives genetic mixture like 23&me?

N21163
06-05-2015, 04:26 AM
23 and me is cheaper but it wont give you the full subhaplogroup classification for mtDNA.

Since they don't ship to India it won't help your situation.

Apart from FTDNA there isn't one.

Taltos provided you with info on DNA testing companies earlier, but feel free to use google.

If you want both lots of results you/your friend may just have to pay more money.

Simple as that

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 04:31 AM
For mtdna we just want basic info, like halogroup. I'll tell her about ftdna then. Thanks for the help.

lgmayka
06-05-2015, 08:48 AM
Family Finder = $99 USD
MTDNA Full Sequence = $199 USD

TOTAL = $298 USD
This combination is only $199 (+ $10 shipping) if you order through MyHeritage (http://www.myheritage.com/dna-tests/mtfullsequence-and-family-finder?s=278673431).

DMXX
06-05-2015, 10:22 AM

It actually appears as if none of this company's services are catered towards the sort of ancestry analyses you are looking for. Their description for the GenomePatri kit:

Genomepatri™ heralds the new paradigm of health management, harnessing personal genomics form better health.
Going beyond systems, organs and calls, this innovative test studies the DNA – the core that defines a person.
Genomepatri™ is a revolutionary test that gives a new dimension to prevention and cure.
We help you understand what your genetic variations mean and how it may affect you. Your genes, along with your psyche and lifestyle, play a critical role in your overall health. With Genomepatri™, you can learn about inherited and acquired genetic health risks.
The process is as simple as it can get. The results give you an insight into weaknesses in you immunity, genetic predisposition to certain health conditions and drug efficiency and sensitivities, providing you a map of your present as well as future health.
Our in-house genetic counselors also help you understand your report better. Our expert panel of doctors will help your understand specific conditions better and possibly test for them early to take control of your health.
The price breakup is as follows: Price of Genomepatri™ kit: INR.25,000

In fact, none of their eight kit choices have anything to do with population genetics related screening (http://mapmygenome.in/main/product-category/personal-genomics/).

These sorts of kits will absolutely not offer reliable results pertaining towards complex traits like cancer, sports performance or even height. There's a little "problem" called "missing heritability" that is essentially ubiquitous among all known complex traits studied to date (eye colour's an exception, but probably counts as more of a "simple polygenic" trait given the reduced effect of environment and the prominence of one or two genes).

Most of the things they're touting for simply cannot be dialled down with anything beyond a low confidence rate. Therefore, most of their kits are a waste of money. I co-sign the suggestion of looking into FTDNA. One additional option with them is ordering the kit via Eastern Biotech (http://www.easternbiotech.com/), which were the affiliates for FTDNA out in Asia and sold FTDNA kits onwards. I ordered my own kit from them 7 years back and received great customer service. Check them out in case they're cheaper and/or have better delivery options to India than FTDNA themselves.

(Please note that the above only applies to complex traits. Haemochromatosis risk variants, cystic fibrosis risk variants etc. are monogenic (Mendelian) disorders with high penetrance and clear familial segregation. These sorts of medical reports are both useful and can be accurately tested for. I sometimes privately wish 23andMe and other personal genomics firms stay well away from complex traits for the time being given the massive problem of missing heritability and sampling bias towards Europeans and just focus on established Mendelian traits instead.)

MonkeyDLuffy
06-05-2015, 03:19 PM
It actually appears as if none of this company's services are catered towards the sort of ancestry analyses you are looking for. Their description for the GenomePatri kit:

In fact, none of their eight kit choices have anything to do with population genetics related screening (http://mapmygenome.in/main/product-category/personal-genomics/).

These sorts of kits will absolutely not offer reliable results pertaining towards complex traits like cancer, sports performance or even height. There's a little "problem" called "missing heritability" that is essentially ubiquitous among all known complex traits studied to date (eye colour's an exception, but probably counts as more of a "simple polygenic" trait given the reduced effect of environment and the prominence of one or two genes).

Most of the things they're touting for simply cannot be dialled down with anything beyond a low confidence rate. Therefore, most of their kits are a waste of money. I co-sign the suggestion of looking into FTDNA. One additional option with them is ordering the kit via Eastern Biotech (http://www.easternbiotech.com/), which were the affiliates for FTDNA out in Asia and sold FTDNA kits onwards. I ordered my own kit from them 7 years back and received great customer service. Check them out in case they're cheaper and/or have better delivery options to India than FTDNA themselves.

(Please note that the above only applies to complex traits. Haemochromatosis risk variants, cystic fibrosis risk variants etc. are monogenic (Mendelian) disorders with high penetrance and clear familial segregation. These sorts of medical reports are both useful and can be accurately tested for. I sometimes privately wish 23andMe and other personal genomics firms stay well away from complex traits for the time being given the massive problem of missing heritability and sampling bias towards Europeans and just focus on established Mendelian traits instead.)

Thanks. We're simply looking at 23&me alternative that ships to India. Health results are a plus but not a requirement. Ftdna seems the only option.

vettor
06-05-2015, 07:34 PM
I don't really know anything about them. Interesting that they test for genetic predisposition to diseases. I was able to load up a shopping cart to a United States address. I didn't really order though. I wonder how that works considering the FDA crackdown with 23andme?

Maybe they are still very under the radar? Great then if they are! The prices though are much more expensive than 23andme. And unfortunately MonkeyDLuffy I don't know much else to say about them.

See this chart for international shipping. http://www.isogg.org/wiki/Autosomal_DNA_testing_comparison_chart
Looks like FTDNA is worldwide, and 23andme is in 56 countries. I would think India is one of those 56.

correct me if I am wrong, but genetic companies onsell your health results without issue, the problem with 23andme was revealing your health results to the tested.
Currently what 23andme has only stopped in their testing is to tell you what health issues you have.

Big money for these DNA companies is the health part.

vettor
06-05-2015, 07:37 PM
23&me looks cheaper then. Shame they don't ship to India. Which other company would you recommend which tells the mtdna and gives genetic mixture like 23&me?

I would still use Natgeno2 ...............you get both ydna and mtdna ..............and then you can transfer results to ftdna for free and with this have an account in both companies.

CURRENTLY Natgeno2 is the ONLY company that uses the up to date trees for Ydna and Mtdna............all others are between 3 to 6 years olders