PDA

View Full Version : woman can get the X-chromosome type from her father side?

ydk
06-06-2015, 04:16 PM
If a woman gets one X chromosome from her mother and the other X-chromosome from her father,
Is 23andme-V4 test form a woman enables to know what type of X-chromosome coming from the father of the woman? In addition to the results to her mother X-chromosome...
If not, why?

Jessie
06-08-2015, 08:26 AM
If you get one parent tested then you will be able to see which parent contributed to your genes.

David Mc
06-08-2015, 08:55 AM
I have always understood that mtDNA is passed down through the matrilineal line (mother's mother's mother's mother and so on). Are you suggesting that a mtDNA test could be identifying the genetic material passed down via the father's X-chromosome? I'm pretty sure that's not how it works; mtDNA and the X chromosome are not the same thing.

Jessie
06-08-2015, 12:16 PM
I have always understood that mtDNA is passed down through the matrilineal line (mother's mother's mother's mother and so on). Are you suggesting that a mtDNA test could be identifying the genetic material passed down via the father's X-chromosome? I'm pretty sure that's not how it works; mtDNA and the X chromosome are not the same thing.

I took it the OP was asking about the X chromosome not mtdna. If you are female and have one parent tested you can see which parent passed down which X chromosome. One of my X chromosomes is completely French&German and because I have my mother tested I could see that it was passed down from her.

Jean M
06-11-2015, 08:42 PM
I have always understood that mtDNA is passed down through the matrilineal line (mother's mother's mother's mother and so on).

Yes it is. But mtDNA is not on the X chromosome. In fact it is completely separate from the 23 chromosomes in the nucleus of each cell.

Click to enlarge.

David Mc
06-11-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes it is. But mtDNA is not on the X chromosome. In fact it is completely separate from the 23 chromosomes in the nucleus of each cell.

Click to enlarge.

Thanks, for the clarification, Jean. That is more or less what I said (..."mtDNA and the X chromosome are not the same thing"), but your reply is much more informative.