PDA

View Full Version : 15% discount on all tests $99 or more?

lgmayka
06-16-2015, 01:43 PM
This was posted in another venue. I have not yet tried it myself.
---
I just want to make sure everyone knows you do actually have a discount on Big Y (and other tests) going right now...

"Discount code jam15p is good for ALL ORDERS OVER $98.
That means $86.25 off the cost of BIGY = $488.75 with the discount.
This code expires June 21, 2015 per FTDNA"
---

Craig T
06-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Thanks for this--I just made an order, and the discount code works. I'm not sure about the expiration date, but as of now (see the time stamp), the code works and is, indeed, a 15% discount.

dp
06-16-2015, 06:04 PM
I tested the coupon code jam15p for FamilyTreeDNA's mtFullSequence, Y-37 and FamilyFinder tests. It worked on all.
dp :-)

lgmayka
06-16-2015, 08:33 PM
I tested the coupon code jam15p for FamilyTreeDNA's mtFullSequence, Y-37 and FamilyFinder tests. It worked on all.
Your tweets (https://twitter.com/drddigs) mention several coupons:
---
FTDNA discounts until June 21:
JamFF89 for Family Finder
Jam30 for y37, y67 & y111
Jam15P for upgrades $99 or more -- including BIG Y
Full Sequence mitochondrial test also on sale @ FTDNA for $169 until June 21st using code Jam30.
---

I don't suppose they are stackable? :) Or perhaps jam15p applies to upgrades, and the other coupons apply to new kits?

I must also mention my dismay that this discount sale apparently started on June 7, but FTDNA didn't bother to tell anyone except perhaps Twitter users.

Huntergatherer1066
06-16-2015, 10:18 PM
I might take advantage of the FF coupon, I have some increasingly elderly cousins that will be at a family reunion later this summer. By the way on the topic of FTDNA, the tropical storm hasn't been very bad in Houston yet, but I suppose there could be some service interruptions tonight/tomorrow depending on how things go since it is just now arriving.

Cofgene
06-16-2015, 11:19 PM
Several Big-Y's have been ordered using this code.

lgmayka
06-16-2015, 11:25 PM
Several Big-Y's have been ordered using this code.
Please, Facebook/Twitter/Yahoo/Etc users, from now on:

If FTDNA gives you a general-use coupon code, please post it to this forum (or to FTDNA's own forum) so that the rest of us can use it too!

I am really surprised that this coupon has been available since June 7, but not a word of it reached either this forum or FTDNA's own forum until today. Of course, I would have been far more disappointed if I hadn't heard about the coupon until after it expired.

dp
06-17-2015, 09:54 PM
Your tweets (https://twitter.com/drddigs)
In the interest of removing any confusion: those tweets you referenced came from a DOWELL. My surname is POWELL. Easy mistake.

Juba
06-17-2015, 11:07 PM
I have a question for people who've done this before.
If you first buy the 37 markers Y-chromosome test, how much of a discount to you get on the big Y if you decide to buy it later?

lgmayka
06-18-2015, 12:20 AM
If you first buy the 37 markers Y-chromosome test, how much of a discount to you get on the big Y if you decide to buy it later?
The Big Y price already assumes that you have purchased a yDNA marker test--at the very least, Y-DNA12. According to reports, FTDNA employees steadfastly refuse to accept an order for Big Y without at least Y-DNA12 first.

Y-DNA12 is itself difficult to order. New customers can order it through a project; existing customers (e.g., from Family Finder) must order it over the phone.

eastara
06-18-2015, 12:24 AM
It is compulsory for Big Y orders to have first at least 12 STR markers. Not sure if possible to order Big Y in the same time.

Juba
06-18-2015, 12:27 AM
The Big Y price already assumes that you have purchased a yDNA marker test--at the very least, Y-DNA12. According to reports, FTDNA employees steadfastly refuse to accept an order for Big Y without at least Y-DNA12 first.

Y-DNA12 is itself difficult to order. New customers can order it through a project; existing customers (e.g., from Family Finder) must order it over the phone.

Oh, okay. So you don't even get a reduced price afterwards anyway I suppose.

I don't even get the option to buy 12 markers, I thought 37 markers was the least one could get.
I would like to get the 12 markers test if possible, would I necessarily have to make a phone call for that if I'm not in a group that does this?
I also would like one level less than mtDNA+ for mitochondria, just to get basic info about both.

Táltos
06-18-2015, 02:42 AM
Oh, okay. So you don't even get a reduced price afterwards anyway I suppose.

I don't even get the option to buy 12 markers, I thought 37 markers was the least one could get.
I would like to get the 12 markers test if possible, would I necessarily have to make a phone call for that if I'm not in a group that does this?

Yes unfortunately you have to call FTDNA directly (713) 868-1438 to order the 12 marker test. I don't know why they removed it from their website. You have to keep in mind they are located in Texas and are in the Central time zone when making your call. Also they close early on Fridays, around noon or 1 pm.

So inconvenient with having to call. IMHO, I think the 12 marker is still a good test to have if you just want to see if someone who shares your surname is in the same basic haplogroup. Either way it is an easy on the wallet litmus test.

EDIT-I just noticed lgmayka's post telling you about the 12 marker test. :) Well there is the phone number anyway if you want to try and call them.

lgmayka
06-18-2015, 03:09 AM
If you have not yet tested with FTDNA, you can order Y-DNA12 through a project such as mine (https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Polish). (If you don't have the appropriate ancestry, I will simply suppress display of your results on our project web site.)

If you have already tested with FTDNA, I think you will have to call (+1.713.868.1438).

Táltos
06-18-2015, 03:24 AM
If you have not yet tested with FTDNA, you can order Y-DNA12 through a project such as mine (https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Polish). (If you don't have the appropriate ancestry, I will simply suppress display of your results on our project web site.)

If you have already tested with FTDNA, I think you will have to call (+1.713.868.1438).

I was able to order a 12 marker recently for someone who has never tested there before. Maybe they did it for me because I am comparing surnames?

lgmayka why did they take it off the website to order?

miiser
06-18-2015, 03:58 AM
FTDNA has a special project group specifically for the purpose of ordering from the project discount page for new customers who haven't yet joined a real project.

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Project_Pending

You should be able to order the 12 marker test from there.

Táltos
06-18-2015, 05:14 AM
FTDNA has a special project group specifically for the purpose ordering from the project discount page for new customers who haven't yet joined a real project.

https://www.familytreedna.com/group-join.aspx?Group=Project_Pending

You should be able to order the 12 marker test from there.
That's terrific! I also see in lgmayka's link you can order it too. Now I have to wonder why they told me when I called that it was no longer available to order on their website? They told me the only way to order it was by calling?!

miiser
06-19-2015, 01:12 AM
That's terrific! I also see in lgmayka's link you can order it too. Now I have to wonder why they told me when I called that it was no longer available to order on their website? They told me the only way to order it was by calling?!

I suspect it's a matter of marketing strategy. FTDNA's strategy seems to be to get people interested with their first test, and then continuously lure them on to additional higher priced tests.

I don't think FTDNA really wants people ordering the 12 marker test on its own. I think the initial concept was to offer the low price 12 marker test as a purely promotional item, in order to get the foot in the door and pique the interest of customers who aren't willing to shell out $169 from the get go. The 12 marker test is probably sold as a loss leader or break even product, with the expectation that it will lead to subsequent purchases of higher profit margin products.

But the 12 marker test didn't last long on the main sales page, which suggests that it didn't have the desired effect as a marketing promotion. Perhaps, rather than being drawn in, customers were disappointed by the virtual worthlessness of a 12 marker test and discouraged from purchasing additional tests. And so FTDNA removed it from the main page offerings.

I'm actually surprised the 12 marker test is still available on the project discount pages, and I expect that it will eventually disappear from there as well. Perhaps its continued presence there is just an oversight. The project discount page seems to be a back water relic of older days that doesn't get much attention. I expect that the project discount page itself will be phased out before too long.

Táltos
06-19-2015, 03:55 AM
I suspect it's a matter of marketing strategy. FTDNA's strategy seems to be to get people interested with their first test, and then continuously lure them on to additional higher priced tests.

I don't think FTDNA really wants people ordering the 12 marker test on its own. I think the initial concept was to offer the low price 12 marker test as a purely promotional item, in order to get the foot in the door and pique the interest of customers who aren't willing to shell out $169 from the get go. The 12 marker test is probably sold as a loss leader or break even product, with the expectation that it will lead to subsequent purchases of higher profit margin products.

But the 12 marker test didn't last long on the main sales page, which suggests that it didn't have the desired effect as a marketing promotion. Perhaps, rather than being drawn in, customers were disappointed by the virtual worthlessness of a 12 marker test and discouraged from purchasing additional tests. And so FTDNA removed it from the main page offerings.

I'm actually surprised the 12 marker test is still available on the project discount pages, and I expect that it will eventually disappear from there as well. Perhaps its continued presence there is just an oversight. The project discount page seems to be a back water relic of older days that doesn't get much attention. I expect that the project discount page itself will be phased out before too long.
I agree that overall the Y DNA-12 is not great. I do think it is useful if you want to find out if someone who shares your surname is in the same basic haplogroup without having to spend a lot of money. If they turn out to share the same one, you and that match can decide how much you want to upgrade. If you don't match, cut your losses knowing it wasn't a big ouch! It is better than paying for a 37 or 67 marker R1b when you're a Q1b. :)

miiser
06-19-2015, 08:37 AM
I agree that overall the Y DNA-12 is not great. I do think it is useful if you want to find out if someone who shares your surname is in the same basic haplogroup without having to spend a lot of money. If they turn out to share the same one, you and that match can decide how much you want to upgrade. If you don't match, cut your losses knowing it wasn't a big ouch! It is better than paying for a 37 or 67 marker R1b when you're a Q1b. :)

I agree. I tell people that it can possibly determine that you're definitely not related to someone, but can't tell you that you definitely are. I've sponsored 12 marker tests of potential relatives as a first step to evaluate whether I want to sponsor a 37 or 67 marker test.

The problem I can envision with the 12 marker tests is that the general public, unfamiliar with Y-DNA testing, who might order it from the main webpage won't really know what to expect, and will not be positively impressed with the not-so-insightful outcome that their paternal lineage is probably Western European.