PDA

View Full Version : DNA Tribes

Baest
06-25-2015, 10:05 PM
Is this outfit reputable? Is the quality and range of information comparable to the other testing companies?

Baest
06-25-2015, 10:14 PM
Also, what is the most popular testing service used by members of this forum?

leonardo
06-25-2015, 10:41 PM
I have done the SNP test, which is questionable. I would not do the STR test (too few). I have actually tested with 23andMe, FTDNA and Ancestry. They all have their strong and weak points. Where you live may help determine what you test you take ( for example, Ancestry is only available in the U.S., U.K. and Ireland). 23andMe has 1 million samples. You can't go wrong with that.

Ignis90
06-26-2015, 12:59 AM
The most popular one by far is 23andme. It's cheap and gives much more information than all other tests.

Baest
06-26-2015, 01:12 AM
Thanks for the input. I was leaning in the direction of FTDNA. I will have to compare the two and make a decision.

Ignis90
06-26-2015, 01:28 AM
Thanks for the input. I was leaning in the direction of FTDNA. I will have to compare the two and make a decision.

If you are a beginner, choose 23andme because you'll get your haplogroups too (even though obsolete sometimes). With Ftdna's Family Finder, you will not get haplogroups (you'll have to pay for two additional tests.

leonardo
06-28-2015, 05:44 PM
The only thing about 23andMe that is discouraging is, for me, I have found most of those who have tested won't communicate any genealogical information, and those who do know very little about their genealogy.

vettor
06-28-2015, 06:11 PM
The only thing about 23andMe that is discouraging is, for me, I have found most of those who have tested won't communicate any genealogical information, and those who do know very little about their genealogy.

you can only hope now, that recently 23andme joined MyHertiage in associating a family tree with DNA. One might help th other in terms of meeting people.
but this union is only recent , time is needed to establish if it results in an improvement to communicate with each other.

ArmandoR1b
06-28-2015, 08:20 PM

FTDNA myOrigins ethnicity calculator does a very poor job. 23andme is the best out of the most common ones. DNAtribes doesn't have all of the tools that 23andme does and you can't upload the DNAtribes file to Gedmatch. DNAtribes also does a bad job on the Y-DNA SNPs. It should be a no-brainer to start with 23andme.

ArmandoR1b
06-28-2015, 08:22 PM

It isn't much different at FTDNA.

leonardo
06-28-2015, 09:54 PM
It isn't much different at FTDNA.

I have tested with FTDNA. I have had a slightly better response rate. It also seems more of my matches have family trees, or at least surnames listed. As vettor mentioned, maybe more will add family trees at 23andMe.

ArmandoR1b
06-29-2015, 05:30 AM
I have tested with FTDNA. I have had a slightly better response rate. It also seems more of my matches have family trees, or at least surnames listed. As vettor mentioned, maybe more will add family trees at 23andMe.

Right, only a slightly better response rate and the rate of knowledge of their family tree at FTDNA isn't much better, at least for what I have found. However, if a person is trying to use DNA testing for finding relatives then it's best to use all 3 big companies and not just one.

leonardo
07-02-2015, 12:19 AM
Right, only a slightly better response rate and the rate of knowledge of their family tree at FTDNA isn't much better, at least for what I have found. However, if a person is trying to use DNA testing for finding relatives then it's best to use all 3 big companies and not just one.

I agree whole heartedly. I have tested with all three myself. Each has different testers, and different insights. You can usually get the test for $99 (I have seen Ancestry for $79 at times). Speaking of Ancestry, even though they don't have a chromosome browser (you can upload to gedmatch of course), I have had great success making in-roads with the family trees provided by my matches. I have also had a good number of those whom I have contacted, respond.

Wayne Roberts
08-21-2015, 04:59 AM
If you are interested in your Y-DNA and that paternal line, the FTDNA is the one to use to test for your Y-DNA. They test for the STR markers as well as base line SNPs, more advanced SNP tests can be ordered. They also have various Y-DNA Project groups - surname, geographical and Haplogroup. YSEQ now also tests for STR markers and SNPs and are cheaper than FTDNA.