PDA

View Full Version : Bronze Age Steppe and European mtdna in South Asians

Raskolnikov
07-01-2015, 02:52 PM
I’ve been comparing the mtdna of the samples in Allentoft’s paper http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v522/n7555/extref/nature14507-s9.xls with Indian mtdna from http://static-content.springer.com/esm/art%3A10.1007%2Fs00439-015-1547-4/MediaObjects/439_2015_1547_MOESM1_ESM.xls.

Here I’ll post some preliminary matches. Note that this is not exhaustive and only includes Indians and exact matches, (not downstream mtdna though I probably could have included those). I did not yet include mtdna from other studies like Haak’s or Wilde’s.

H5a1 CwEst found in North and West India, several castes.
K2a5 Cw/Altai found in Andhra Pradesh.
U5a1b1 Afan found in Andhra Pradesh.
T1a1 BaSca found all over India.
T2a1a BaSca/Yam found in South India.
J1c1b1a Sin found in South India.
N1a1a1a1 Sin found in South and East India.
U4 Cw/Yam found across India but mostly in the South.
J1b1a1 Cw found across India.
I4a1 Karasuk found in Tamil Nadu.
U5a1a1 Afan found across India.
U2e1 Andro found in North India.
J2b1a Mezh found in Northeast India.

It’s interesting that a lot of the lineages seem more common in the South, while U7 which is not present among these ancients is more common in the North. Could U7 have been brought by Indo-Aryans from BMAC?

I’m especially interested in Yamnaya, Sintashta, Andronovo, Scythian and Corded Ware mtdna and studies of South-Central Asians who match them. Also if you’re South-Central Asian or Indian and you’re a match for any of these please post it here! I know at least one Indian user here (MonkeyD) matches for Scythian mtdna.

Here are the Andronovo and Sintashta mtdna types that I couldn’t get a match for.

Andronovo:

U4d1, U2e2, U4a1b.

Sintashta:

J2b1a2a, U2e1e, U2e1h.

parasar
07-01-2015, 03:03 PM
Re: U2e1h
http://www.anthrogenica.com/showthread.php?1884-haplogroup-U2&p=27277&viewfull=1#post27277

There is a new U2e1 Chinese sample from a study by Jiang et al., which is in an unnamed subclade that I'm calling U2e1h, with an age estimate of about 5000 ybp. There are 10 samples in this group with ancestry from: China, India, Russia, Ukraine, France, Denmark, and 2 samples each from Italy and Spain. This is another group that seems to fit a possible Indo-European expansion, although other explanations could be possible for the unusual distribution.
Ian Logan has processed the 1041 mtDNA full sequence results from the Human Genome Diversity Project (link).

There are 9 U2 samples from Pakistan include 3 U2a, 2 U2b and 4 U2e1. One of the U2e1 samples is in U2e1h (the group I posted on above which is widely distributed across Eurasia) and the other 3 form a new subclade of U2e1 only found in Pakistan.
Based on the modern U2e distribution I still think a southwest Asian origin for U2e seems likely. In Mesolithic Europe there is the Blätterhöhle sample BLA3 dated at 11,200 ypb and identified as U2e based on HVR1 results. Then there are the two closely related Motala U2e1 samples dated at 8000 ybp, results still not published as far as I know. And then the Uznyi Oleni Ostrov U2e1 samples dated at 7500 ybp. So U2e was in Europe during the Mesolithic but I think it more likely that it originated in soutwest Asia or eastern Europe/Russia, and much of the present day European U2e1 could represent more recent migration from further east, perhaps with Indo European speakers. The only modern U2e* sample is from India.