PDA

View Full Version : Jewish tombstone fragments pulled from Polish river

Táltos
07-08-2015, 03:46 PM
Fragments of about 100 tombstones from a Jewish cemetery destroyed by the Nazis were removed from a riverbed in Poland.
Archaeologists removed the tombstone fragments from the Warta River, located in Mstow, Silesia, on the border with the Czech Republic, Radio Poland reported Tuesday.
The discovery of the fragments, identified by Hebrew-language inscriptions and Jewish symbols, was made by a team of archaeologists from the University of Lodz.
Some of the tombstones were used as paving stones, archaeologist Olgierd Lawrynowicz told Radio Poland. He said the discovery of the fragments is a valuable source of information regarding the life of the Jewish community in Mstow prior to World War II.
Archaeologists will clean and catalog the fragments.
The Jewish cemetery was established in Mstow in the late 19th century.

http://forward.com/news/breaking-news/311546/jewish-tombstone-fragments-pulled-from-polish-river/

John Doe
07-08-2015, 04:02 PM
The Jewish community in Poland was, besides being the largest minority group in Poland (perhaps after the Ukrainians, not sure), a civilisation stretching at least 500 years before the 2nd world war and that's only when it comes to significant presence, truly a shame.

Agamemnon
07-08-2015, 11:25 PM
When the Germans arrived in the city after which we are named - in what is now Belarus - (which my family had left a long time ago) they paved the roads with our ancestors' graves.

John Doe
07-09-2015, 06:25 AM
When the Germans arrived in the city after which we are named - in what is now Belarus - (which my family had left a long time ago) they paved the roads with our ancestors' graves.

My great grandfather had 10 brothers and sisters, they were from Borislaw on the Denister, next to Lwow, only he and his brother survived because they left for England long before, although one of his nephews survived by joining the Red army.

Lugus
08-08-2015, 08:54 AM
Last summer I visited the Jewish cemetery in Worms (der Heiliger Sand) which is perfectly preserved. One can still read lots of tombstones and it seems to have been in use as late as the 30's. Most, if not all, living Ashkenazi Jews probably have ancestors buried there. There are other old Jewish cemeteries in Germany, including in villages where no Jews have lived since the Nazi period. Unlike what happened in Poland, these cemeteries were left in peace.

Erik
08-08-2015, 12:55 PM
Hopefully they can be put back into a cemetery.