PDA

View Full Version : Ancestry.com has apparently tested over 1 million

leonardo
07-17-2015, 01:35 AM
When checking my results today, I received notice that Ancestry has tested over 1 million persons. Not bad for a company that only sends tests to a limited number of nations and one who got into the autosomal testing field late in the game. I only wish the test could be offered to more world-wide and that there was a chromosome browser. I have encouraged my matches to upload their dna to Gedmatch. I have been pleased with the responses received from my messages, and the knowledge these matches have in regard to their family ancestry.

JWillis
07-22-2015, 01:22 AM
You must come from a family of highly educated intellectuals? My beer swigging Ancestry.com matches don't respond to inquiry. Agree though, it would be nice if Ancestry allowed download of Chromosome mapping info and matches in manner similar to FTDNA. But still, that's not going to be helpful if there isn't ample cooperation from users in finding common ancestors. Time and again, I run into locked trees, no response to inquiry. Efforts go wasted. I've all but given up in finding any usefulness in the results. Who are these people who pay for DNA testing and then do absolutely nothing with the results? No trees, locked up for privacy, brick walls in terms of email response. Maddening. Were these people so naive as to expect a list of their ancestors to just be handed to them? Seems so.

Maybe Ancestry is on to something by just allowing the computer to do the work ... DNA circles?

leonardo
07-22-2015, 11:10 AM
You must come from a family of highly educated intellectuals? My beer swigging Ancestry.com matches don't respond to inquiry. Agree though, it would be nice if Ancestry allowed download of Chromosome mapping info and matches in manner similar to FTDNA. But still, that's not going to be helpful if there isn't ample cooperation from users in finding common ancestors. Time and again, I run into locked trees, no response to inquiry. Efforts go wasted. I've all but given up in finding any usefulness in the results. Who are these people who pay for DNA testing and then do absolutely nothing with the results? No trees, locked up for privacy, brick walls in terms of email response. Maddening. Were these people so naive as to expect a list of their ancestors to just be handed to them? Seems so.

Maybe Ancestry is on to something by just allowing the computer to do the work ... DNA circles?

I am sure I have a few beer swigging relatives too. I actually have been trying to break a wall, fill in a hole (enter any other terminology we use in these circles) that starts with my paternal grandfather. I have learned through tests such as this that his ancestry was from Poland. So, those I have been especially communicating with are primarily Polish-Americans (a few Polish nationals who are here in the U.S. and have tested). While not every one responds, many have. Many will respond to multiple messages, despite the fact that I am taking, more than giving. And many have rather extensive trees. I am persistent and tactful though. I send out messages without fear (what do I have to lose?) and try to invite the recipient in with an offer to help me. Apparently, there are those who like to share their proud ancestry and help others find theirs.

MacUalraig
07-26-2015, 10:19 AM
I suspect a fair proportion of their customers took the test for the ethnicity breakdown especially as that's the angle they have been pushing. So those ones may be less likely to be working on family trees.

JWillis
08-11-2015, 03:11 AM
My Ancestry ethnicity results were so predictable:

99.9% Beer swigging, ignorant RedNeck.
.1% Pygmy

I fear posting these results. There is no way that pygmy shares DNA with RedNeck. Wars have been waged over lesser issues.

On a more serious note. I have come to appreciate the tools at Ancestry, making contacting other people not nearly as necessary. I have over 6,000 auDNA matches on Ancestry. It becomes a slam dunk to search for surname overlap among my match list. Once you get a smaller list of all auDNA matches with a specific surname overlap, its then a breeze to investigate the overlaps for each match. A mouse click brings up a list of ancestors on opposing trees, with the names, dates, geography of births and deaths between two trees. Using that information, you can quickly check your tree for accuracy, as well as uncover ancestors that you may need to consider for your tree. That totally eliminates the need to contact the other person and go through the labor intensive search process that once dominated all my time. This one feature alone is saving a TON of effort and making a significant impact on correcting and expanding my tree. I no longer need access to raw data. I no longer need to beat my head against a wall trying to get others to participate in the process of searching for these ancestors on our respective trees. I have more time to drink beer, more time to contemplate the significance of my belly button. Now, if I could only invent a beer holder anchor for that belly button hole, I'd be rich.